Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

OJ Simpson gets July 20 parole hearing date in Nevada. [UPDATE: PAROLED!]

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics
View Poll Results: Should OJ Simpson be paroled?
Yes, turn the Juice loose.
16
28.57%
No, keep him locked up.
40
71.43%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

OJ Simpson gets July 20 parole hearing date in Nevada. [UPDATE: PAROLED!]

Old 03-23-18, 12:56 PM
  #251  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Giantrobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: South Bay
Posts: 56,913
Re: OJ Simpson gets July 20 parole hearing date in Nevada. [UPDATE: PAROLED!]

Originally Posted by jjcool View Post
So according to you, OJ is not black, even though he most definitely is. Now you seem to be arguing that the justice system, which you have previously said was biased against blacks, ruled for OJ because he renounced his blackness. If that was the case, why don't all blacks that are charged with crimes renounce their blackness? Surely that can't be all it takes for them to get off, can it?

Go back and read what i said. Because I never said that. OJ turning his back on Blacks was way before this trial. As I also said, the irony is that his legal team was still able to exploit the fucked up experiences of Black folks with police and whites to get him off. Of course, the LAPD gave them plenty of ammo...


Also, OJ only "reclaimed his Blackness" when he was on trial for Murder and probably only because his lawyers told him too. But most Blacks never fell for that shit.

I guess you two dont realize it, but Giantrobo is the arbiter of all things black.
If you say so.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 03-23-18 at 01:02 PM.
Giantrobo is offline  
Old 03-23-18, 01:32 PM
  #252  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
nando820's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Melbourne, FL
Posts: 4,262
Re: OJ Simpson gets July 20 parole hearing date in Nevada. [UPDATE: PAROLED!]

Originally Posted by james2025a View Post
Anyone that ever thinks OJ was innocent is a moron. The defense made major blunders in allowing a HORRIBLE jury selection, Durdan making OJ try the glove on in court (even though his fellow team said not to do that), and not doing very thorough checks on all people taking the stand.

On the flip side you have the scumbags lawyers who defended OJ who immediately made the whole thing about race and nothing to do with the murder of two people.

The evidence was certainly their to convict OJ, the Defense team just ripped apart anyone taking the stand against them and put doubt into a jury that was already prejudicial.

Guy got away with a double homicide. Moron that he is gets busted years later for armed robbery. He should be behind bars for the rest of his days.
pretty good summary
nando820 is offline  
Old 03-23-18, 03:02 PM
  #253  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Decker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Vegas, Baby!
Posts: 42,472
Re: OJ Simpson gets July 20 parole hearing date in Nevada. [UPDATE: PAROLED!]

Originally Posted by Giantrobo View Post
Also, OJ only "reclaimed his Blackness" when he was on trial for Murder and probably only because his lawyers told him too. But most Blacks never fell for that shit.
One more time : Yes They Did.
Originally Posted by Decker View Post
You may not have, your friends may not have, everyone you knew may not have. But most Black Americans did. It's a fact.
Decker is offline  
Old 03-23-18, 03:26 PM
  #254  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
jjcool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: CT
Posts: 6,667
Re: OJ Simpson gets July 20 parole hearing date in Nevada. [UPDATE: PAROLED!]

Originally Posted by Giantrobo View Post
Go back and read what i said. Because I never said that.
Oh you didn't?

Originally Posted by Giantrobo View Post
OJ, himself would tell you he isn't Black or part of the Black Experience.

Originally Posted by Giantrobo View Post
Also, OJ only "reclaimed his Blackness" when he was on trial for Murder and probably only because his lawyers told him too. But most Blacks never fell for that shit.
Again, you claim to be speaking for most blacks, when you, in fact have no idea what most blacks thought or fell for. And despite evidence to the contrary, you continue with your nonsense of trying to speak for most or all blacks.

Originally Posted by Giantrobo View Post
If you say so.
No. You did. I just called you on your bullshit.
jjcool is offline  
Old 03-23-18, 05:22 PM
  #255  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Giantrobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: South Bay
Posts: 56,913
Re: OJ Simpson gets July 20 parole hearing date in Nevada. [UPDATE: PAROLED!]

Originally Posted by jjcool View Post
Oh you didn't?
I didn't. You don't get what I'm saying and I don't expect you too. It's beyond you. You can't conceptualize the way Blacks walk between two worlds in America and how ones like OJ choose to stay in the white one.


Again, you claim to be speaking for most blacks, when you, in fact have no idea what most blacks thought or fell for. And despite evidence to the contrary, you continue with your nonsense of trying to speak for most or all blacks.
No. YOU are a liar. YOU claimed I'm speaking for all Blacks and you did it as a half-assed attempt at insulting me. I have never said I did.


No. You did. I just called you on your bullshit.
Again. I didn't. But rather than get emotional about it. I simply gave you a and let you believe your bullshit.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 03-23-18 at 05:35 PM.
Giantrobo is offline  
Old 03-23-18, 05:31 PM
  #256  
Political Exile
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Toronto
Posts: 15,188
Re: OJ Simpson gets July 20 parole hearing date in Nevada. [UPDATE: PAROLED!]

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
What’evs dude. You know what I mean. I was just correcting the young’un.
When I read that, I pictured a couple of geezers in lawn chairs chugging back brewskies while bickering.
Norm de Plume is offline  
Old 03-23-18, 05:50 PM
  #257  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Giantrobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: South Bay
Posts: 56,913
Re: OJ Simpson gets July 20 parole hearing date in Nevada. [UPDATE: PAROLED!]

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
One more time : Yes They Did.


You may not have, your friends may not have, everyone you knew may not have. But most Black Americans did. It's a fact.

Did you include this part? They may not even be asking the same people...

Another potential factor: The people answering polls today aren’t the same as those polled at the time of the trial. People who weren’t yet born then are now old enough to be polled, and many who answered the mid-’90s polls have died.

People too young to remember the details of the trial might mostly know about it from subsequent media coverage, which often has treated Simpson’s guilt as a given, said Carl Douglas, part of Simpson’s murder trial defense team.
Giantrobo is offline  
Old 03-23-18, 06:05 PM
  #258  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Decker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Vegas, Baby!
Posts: 42,472
Re: OJ Simpson gets July 20 parole hearing date in Nevada. [UPDATE: PAROLED!]

Originally Posted by Giantrobo View Post
Did you include this part? They may not even be asking the same people...
That qualification has no relevance on the significance of the 1994-1997 results -- only that Black People in general now think that OJ was guilty and that they may not be the same individual people who thought he was innocent back in the 90s. No relation to the validity of the 1994 data that clearly indicated that a vast majority of Black Americans thought OJ was innocent at that time.
Decker is offline  
Old 03-26-18, 12:09 PM
  #259  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Giantrobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: South Bay
Posts: 56,913
Re: OJ Simpson gets July 20 parole hearing date in Nevada. [UPDATE: PAROLED!]

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
That qualification has no relevance on the significance of the 1994-1997 results -- only that Black People in general now think that OJ was guilty and that they may not be the same individual people who thought he was innocent back in the 90s. No relation to the validity of the 1994 data that clearly indicated that a vast majority of Black Americans thought OJ was innocent at that time.
Disagree. Either way, Decker...Blacks didn't and still don't give a FUCK ABOUT OJ as a person. Whether or not they thought he was innocent, but now feel he's guilty has NOTHING to do with the meme or what it meant. The original meme said nothing about whether or not Blacks thought he was guilty or innocent. It was about not giving a fuck about OJ and actually giving a fuck about watching Cochran game the system to get a "Black" man off for killing two white people. Something people NEVER thought would happen under the American Justice System which has never looked out for Black people. And people can still feel he's "innocent" or guilty but still not give a fuck about him and focus on having the justice system exposed.

YOU and others here saw the meme and tried to turn it into what Blacks think in terms of OJ's guilt or innocence. Which again had nothing to do with the meme's point.

Thanks
Giantrobo is offline  
Old 03-26-18, 01:13 PM
  #260  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
jjcool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: CT
Posts: 6,667
Re: OJ Simpson gets July 20 parole hearing date in Nevada. [UPDATE: PAROLED!]

Originally Posted by Giantrobo View Post
I didn't. You don't get what I'm saying and I don't expect you too. It's beyond you. You can't conceptualize the way Blacks walk between two worlds in America and how ones like OJ choose to stay in the white one.
Sure you did. Now you are backpedaling and lying yet again.

Originally Posted by Giantrobo View Post
No. YOU are a liar. YOU claimed I'm speaking for all Blacks and you did it as a half-assed attempt at insulting me. I have never said I did.
You are so full of shit. The last few pages you have been speaking for blacks. Saying "most blacks" this on several occasions. Quantifying it by saying that you never said you speak for all blacks doesn't excuse it. You are still claiming to speak for all blacks. Like here:
Originally Posted by Giantrobo View Post
Disagree. Either way, Decker...Blacks didn't and still don't give a FUCK ABOUT OJ as a person. [
Originally Posted by Giantrobo View Post
Again. I didn't. But rather than get emotional about it. I simply gave you a and let you believe your bullshit.
Again, you did. You really should go back and re read the thread so you don't continue to lie about all the bullshit that you said.
jjcool is offline  
Old 03-26-18, 01:38 PM
  #261  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Giantrobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: South Bay
Posts: 56,913
Re: OJ Simpson gets July 20 parole hearing date in Nevada. [UPDATE: PAROLED!]

Originally Posted by jjcool View Post
Sure you did. Now you are backpedaling and lying yet again.
I didn't. You never saw me say "I speak for ALL Blacks". Never....


You are so full of shit. The last few pages you have been speaking for blacks. Saying "most blacks" this on several occasions. Quantifying it by saying that you never said you speak for all blacks doesn't excuse it. You are still claiming to speak for all blacks. Like here:
But did you actually SEE me say: "I speak for ALL Blacks". No. You did not. Sorry. Never happened.



Again, you did. You really should go back and re read the thread so you don't continue to lie about all the bullshit that you said.
I'm sorry you're getting so worked up over this issue. Perhaps a day or two of rest will clear your mind. Because you never saw me say "I speak for ALL Blacks". Never... And Like i said, you only say that I did because you're trying to make a back handed insult. This is brought on by your emotions. Hey, OJ is certainly an emotional issues for White People and Blacks.
Giantrobo is offline  
Old 03-26-18, 01:53 PM
  #262  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
nando820's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Melbourne, FL
Posts: 4,262
Re: OJ Simpson gets July 20 parole hearing date in Nevada. [UPDATE: PAROLED!]

you guys need to chill it, or they gonna close this thread. Not that I care too much about the OJ thread. But still there are better things to worry about than if blacks liked or didn't like OJ.
Right now we all dislike him and know he did it, so we should consider that a victory on itself
nando820 is offline  
Old 03-26-18, 02:32 PM
  #263  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
jjcool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: CT
Posts: 6,667
Re: OJ Simpson gets July 20 parole hearing date in Nevada. [UPDATE: PAROLED!]

Originally Posted by Giantrobo View Post
I didn't. You never saw me say "I speak for ALL Blacks". Never....



But did you actually SEE me say: "I speak for ALL Blacks". No. You did not. Sorry. Never happened.




I'm sorry you're getting so worked up over this issue. Perhaps a day or two of rest will clear your mind. Because you never saw me say "I speak for ALL Blacks". Never... And Like i said, you only say that I did because you're trying to make a back handed insult. This is brought on by your emotions. Hey, OJ is certainly an emotional issues for White People and Blacks.
Now you're just being intentionally obtuse. You do realize that you have said on several occasions in this thread that "blacks don't" or "blacks didn't", right? That is speaking for blacks. Even though you didn't write the words "I speak for all blacks" you are saying exactly that. Even when you were faced with evidence that completely contradicted your statement of what blacks thought or felt, you stood by your assertion. Now you are just backpedaling to try to get out of it because you have been called on it.

I am sorry that you don't speak for blacks, even though you seem to think that you do. Now you are backpedaling to try to get out of these idiotic claims that you made. This is brought on by your emotions. Hey, OJ is certainly an emotional issues for White People and blacks.
jjcool is offline  
Old 03-28-18, 06:02 PM
  #264  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 638
Re: OJ Simpson gets July 20 parole hearing date in Nevada. [UPDATE: PAROLED!]

I was in college when O.J. was declared innocent in Fall 1995. I distinctly remembered passing by the student center on that day, and suddenly, without warning, there was a huge amount of cheering coming from the building - I heard this even though I was outside. I immediately knew the reason, even though I wasn't watching TV at the time. So, anyone stating that many people didn't blindly believe that O.J. was innocent at the time (even taking the plethora of evidence against him into account) either wasn't in the U.S. at the time this took place, wasn't born yet/was too young to understand the situation, or just has their head up their a$$.

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos View Post
Police reports have stated Ron put up one heck of a fight. OJ has severe arthritis in his hands and knees and would not have been physically able to take on such young, athletic man such as Ron Goldman.
This is pure bullshit. Despite the arthritis O.J. was - and still is - a big guy (obviously, since he was a former football player). He was only in his 40's back in 1994, and I can easily see him taking out Goldman - especially if he had flown into a fit of rage, which he was prone to do. Also, he obviously had the element of surprise - which worked in his favor.

Originally Posted by james2025a View Post
Anyone that ever thinks OJ was innocent is a moron. The defense made major blunders in allowing a HORRIBLE jury selection, Durdan making OJ try the glove on in court (even though his fellow team said not to do that), and not doing very thorough checks on all people taking the stand.

On the flip side you have the scumbags lawyers who defended OJ who immediately made the whole thing about race and nothing to do with the murder of two people.

The evidence was certainly their to convict OJ, the Defense team just ripped apart anyone taking the stand against them and put doubt into a jury that was already prejudicial.

Guy got away with a double homicide. Moron that he is gets busted years later for armed robbery. He should be behind bars for the rest of his days.
Agree with all of this. To reiterate some of the above, I also feel the defense made two fatal mistakes that cost them the trial:

1) Having O.J. try the gloves on - and not knowing they wouldn't fit ahead of time. This was incredibly stupid, and made the prosecutors looks like inept fools. I also don't necessarily think that if the prosecution hadn't done this that the defense would have brought up the gloves as evidence. We'll never know now.

It's worth noting that there were numerous reasons why the gloves didn't fit:

- The gloves were leather, which shrinks - so, they could have shrunk & been smaller than they were initially.

- O.J. wore plastic gloves over his hands before trying the leather gloves on. So, of course they wouldn't fit correctly.

- There is no way of knowing whether or not the gloves fit O.J. that well to begin with.

2) Mark F. He should never have been a LE officer in the first place, and definitely should not have been in charge of this investigation. In any case, the prosecution not doing their homework & thereby not knowing the serious issues he had & serious complaints against him, etc. was also sloppy & inept. It's hard to believe that he confessed some heinous crimes on tape & the prosecution didn't initially know about this. Amazing.

I felt bad for the prosecutors - their hearts were definitely in the right place, and they definitely were prosecuting someone that they knew committed the crime (obviously, not all lawyers are this way). However, because of their various bad decisions & missteps - this whole thing blew up in their face. Sad.

Originally Posted by rocket1312 View Post
Did any of you guys watch the OJ: Made in America doc? Not saying it's the final word on any of these subjects, but it's one of the best documentaries I've ever seen. Anyone interested in this discussion beyond just feeling the need to argue owes it to themselves to watch it.
Agree with this as well. I would also urge everyone interested in this case to see this superb documentary series from 2016. This spends a lot of time on not just O.J.'s personal history, but a history of L.A. & the police force, the early '90's events in L.A. leading up to the trial (Rodney King, the riots, etc.), the trial itself, the later civil case against O.J., and the robbery in Vegas. It even interviews some of the former jurors in the 1994/1995 trial. Very educational & informative.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/O.J.:_Made_in_America

Side-note: I also liked the American Crime Story: The People vs. O.J. mini-series that came out in 2016. Though it's a dramatization of what happened, this is based on fact. And, IMHO it's worth seeing as a complement to the Made in America doc.

Last edited by TheDude; 06-17-19 at 06:56 PM.
TheDude is offline  
Old 06-10-19, 12:44 PM
  #265  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
Thread Starter
 
Sonny Corinthos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Port Charles, NY.
Posts: 5,237
Re: OJ Simpson gets July 20 parole hearing date in Nevada. [UPDATE: PAROLED!]

It's hard to believe that tomorrow, June 12th will be the 25th anniversary of the murders of Nicole Brown Simpson and Ron Goldman. Don't expect OJ to be somber, he says life is fine.

https://www.apnews.com/0fea103ed1014714a966bd75c475880d
Sonny Corinthos is offline  
Old 06-10-19, 12:46 PM
  #266  
DVD Talk Legend
 
GoldenJCJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Colorado
Posts: 13,269
Re: OJ Simpson gets July 20 parole hearing date in Nevada. [UPDATE: PAROLED!]

I’m sure OJ will find the real killers any day now. He’s been working diligently on it for the past 25 years...
GoldenJCJ is offline  
Old 06-10-19, 02:53 PM
  #267  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
gerrythedon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Inglewood, Ca.
Posts: 6,742
Re: OJ Simpson gets July 20 parole hearing date in Nevada. [UPDATE: PAROLED!]

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos View Post
It's hard to believe that tomorrow, June 12th will be the 25th anniversary of the murders of Nicole Brown Simpson and Ron Goldman. Don't expect OJ to be somber, he says life is fine.

https://www.apnews.com/0fea103ed1014714a966bd75c475880d

Yes I'm reminded every year cause it's on my birthday.
gerrythedon is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.