Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 06-20-17, 02:38 AM   #76
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Amazon is buying Whole Foods for $13.7 billion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
I'm sorry but none of that makes sense.

A job is only good for the US if it pays a certain % of the CEO? That is nonsense and based on nothing.

I 100% agree on education. But if you pay those "teachers" the kind of money you are talking, who can afford to go to "school"?
I was just trying to point out, perhaps using some hyperbole, that CEOs are getting pretty fat these days, compared to past decades, disproportionately so, in my estimation. I seem to recall that in 1950, the average CEO only made 18x the salary of their 'average' blue-collar worker.

In 2017, it's probably 1000x. I've got no figures to back that up, but it is certainly at least 100x.

Forward to 2017, as the wealth inequality gap widens to new horizons, and "the 1%" are holding > 80% of the wealth in the USA? That's a hard pill to swallow, folks, unless you're in the 1%!

Seems like widening the lower-middle class makes sense, and if Amazon can do THAT, I'll eat humble pie.
Old 06-20-17, 09:17 AM   #77
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
I was just trying to point out, perhaps using some hyperbole, that CEOs are getting pretty fat these days, compared to past decades, disproportionately so, in my estimation. I seem to recall that in 1950, the average CEO only made 18x the salary of their 'average' blue-collar worker.

In 2017, it's probably 1000x. I've got no figures to back that up, but it is certainly at least 100x.

Forward to 2017, as the wealth inequality gap widens to new horizons, and "the 1%" are holding > 80% of the wealth in the USA? That's a hard pill to swallow, folks, unless you're in the 1%!

Seems like widening the lower-middle class makes sense, and if Amazon can do THAT, I'll eat humble pie.
I have no issues discussing the money gap betweeen the rich and poor. And jobs may indeed be a part of that discussion (tho for some actual salary is a pretty minor part of their income).

But I contend, as I mentioned, any job that helps take care of your family is a job worth having. I have no idea what the CEO of my company makes. And I don't care. I mean if the CEO made exactly the same as me, but I couldn't pay my bills I wouldn't say "oh well our CEO is suffering with us, so I have a good job".
Old 06-20-17, 11:00 AM   #78
DVD Talk Legend

http://money.cnn.com/2017/06/16/tech...bos/index.html

For anyone that doesn't think Walmart is "feeling" things from places like Amazon and WF, note what they are buying themselves.

The article lists who they have already bought. Several of which would not seem to be you typical "Walmart customer" base.

And again as mentioned, Walmart already bought the on-line retailer Jet.com.
Old 06-20-17, 11:42 AM   #79
DVD Talk Hero

Their pay all has to do with stock performance, Andrew Jassy is the highest paid Amazon employee with a salary of $179k but was also rewarded an additional 35,000 shares of Amazon stock for hitting goals (he's the C-level in charge of AWS).

Bezos has an annual salary of $80k a year but is worth $84 billion due to owning a majority stake in the company.
Old 06-20-17, 04:58 PM   #80
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Sure, Bezos only pays himself $80k a year, so that he can fleece the govt. out of taxes. Other CEOs claim to pay themselves only $1. It's a way to launder money thru a 'foundation' or some similar. I'm betting Bezos doesn't live in a 'middle-class' house, or live a life becoming most of his other employees. They guy is a greedy bastard... megalomaniac capitalist. Probably wipes his ass with $100 bills, too.
Old 06-20-17, 05:30 PM   #81
DVD Talk Legend

Agree to disagree.

I'm under Amazon's spell. Maybe that'll change someday. But that's how I feel now.
Old 06-20-17, 08:22 PM   #82
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
Sure, Bezos only pays himself $80k a year, so that he can fleece the govt. out of taxes. Other CEOs claim to pay themselves only $1. It's a way to launder money thru a 'foundation' or some similar. I'm betting Bezos doesn't live in a 'middle-class' house, or live a life becoming most of his other employees. They guy is a greedy bastard... megalomaniac capitalist. Probably wipes his ass with $100 bills, too.
Dude. Seriously. Do you need a Snickers bar or something?

You know he started Amazon in his garage? Most people would see his story as a success.

He has set up several charitable foundations...

Do you think it better if he had failed?
Old 06-20-17, 11:37 PM   #83
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
Dude. Seriously. Do you need a Snickers bar or something?
This might help him...

https://www.amazon.com/SNICKERS-Sing.../dp/B001HXI0V0

My So-Called DVD Life (Profiler),A Fistful of Discs (DVDAf)
Old 06-20-17, 11:55 PM   #84
DVD Talk Legend

Anyone remember when people criticized Amazon for not bottoming-out their prices back in the DVD deal days? And their stocks were stagnant? How's Reel.Com and 800.Com's business plans coming along?

Bezos had a response that makes sense. Something like, "our stocks are slow and steady - we're taking the longer path".

Old 06-21-17, 03:24 AM   #85
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler View Post
Anyone remember when people criticized Amazon for not bottoming-out their prices back in the DVD deal days? And their stocks were stagnant? How's Reel.Com and 800.Com's business plans coming along?

Bezos had a response that makes sense. Something like, "our stocks are slow and steady - we're taking the longer path".

A couple of weeks ago the stock was over 1K per share.
Old 06-21-17, 09:36 AM   #86
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
A couple of weeks ago the stock was over 1K per share.
Yeah, Goldman Sach's came out with a comment about a mini "Air Bubble" in the tech sector and it caused the FANG stocks to topple on the 9th, though I guess that should be FANA now (Facebook, Apple, Netflix, Alphabet).

Amazon refuted and bought Whole Foods, and more or less recovered in the blink of an eye. They were at $850/share in March.

I do agree with them though, I see big slides incoming for both Facebook and Netflix in the near future.

Last edited by RichC2; 06-21-17 at 09:42 AM.
Old 06-21-17, 09:45 PM   #87
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Old 06-22-17, 07:48 PM   #88
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Wow, that seems like an awful lot of money to pay for arugula.
Old 07-18-17, 01:14 PM   #89
DVD Talk Legend

Not sure if it's directly related, but now Blue Apron's stock has taken a dive with Amazon putting together meal kits for order and delivery. I know the Whole Foods acquisition isn't complete but I'd think having Whole Foods locations would help with the delivery of the meal kits and maybe even provide a pick up option in the future.
Old 07-18-17, 01:26 PM   #90
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I work part- time overnights for Whole Foods. Does any of this mean I'm gonna be rich?
Old 07-18-17, 01:57 PM   #91
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
Not sure if it's directly related, but now Blue Apron's stock has taken a dive with Amazon putting together meal kits for order and delivery. I know the Whole Foods acquisition isn't complete but I'd think having Whole Foods locations would help with the delivery of the meal kits and maybe even provide a pick up option in the future.
That's a good point.
Old 07-18-17, 02:33 PM   #92
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadman31 View Post
I work part- time overnights for Whole Foods. Does any of this mean I'm gonna be rich?
If some stuff I've heard about Amazon is true, it probably means you'll earn less and work more.
Old 07-18-17, 05:05 PM   #93
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon2 View Post
If some stuff I've heard about Amazon is true, it probably means you'll earn less and work more.
And then they'll fire you for not working efficiently enough once you've maxed out your potential.

-- Lucius Annaeus Seneca
Old 07-18-17, 06:54 PM   #94
Cool New Member

If Amazon can deliver groceries like they do everything else, game over! No need to ever leave my house lol
Old 07-19-17, 01:04 AM   #95
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieJunkie22 View Post
If Amazon can deliver groceries like they do everything else, game over! No need to ever leave my house lol

Old 07-19-17, 01:54 AM   #96
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomOpus View Post
I've placed 30 orders in the past 3 months. That never happened to me.

Amazon covers returns and refunds sooo easy.

Amazon also has relatively strict industry standards for packaging on products they sell. If a product doesn't meet their standards, they won't stock it.
Old 07-19-17, 06:42 AM   #97
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I covered the cost of my Prime membership in shipping savings by March of this year...3 months it took to save $100 on shipping. I use Amazon...alot.

That picture of the damaged package has never happened to me either. That probably wasn't Amazon...but the delivery people (or during shipping). Probably didn't leave the warehouse looking like that.
Old 07-19-17, 11:57 AM   #98
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler View Post
I've placed 30 orders in the past 3 months. That never happened to me.

Amazon covers returns and refunds sooo easy.

Amazon also has relatively strict industry standards for packaging on products they sell. If a product doesn't meet their standards, they won't stock it.
I was being facetious

Old 08-24-17, 09:29 PM   #99
DVD Talk Legend

It's happening:

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix....cle&ID=2295514

Quote:
Starting Monday, Whole Foods Market will offer lower prices on a selection of best-selling staples across its stores, with much more to come. Customers will enjoy lower prices on products like Whole Trade bananas, organic avocados, organic large brown eggs, organic responsibly-farmed salmon and tilapia, organic baby kale and baby lettuce, animal-welfare-rated 85% lean ground beef, creamy and crunchy almond butter, organic Gala and Fuji apples, organic rotisserie chicken, 365 Everyday Value organic butter, and much more.

In the future, after certain technical integration work is complete, Amazon Prime will become Whole Foods Market’s customer rewards program, providing Prime members with special savings and other in-store benefits.

Whole Foods Market’s healthy and high-quality private label products—including 365 Everyday Value, Whole Foods Market, Whole Paws and Whole Catch—will be available through Amazon.com, AmazonFresh, Prime Pantry and Prime Now.

Amazon Lockers will be available in select Whole Foods Market stores. Customers can have products shipped from Amazon.com to their local Whole Foods Market store for pick up or send returns back to Amazon during a trip to the store.
Old 08-24-17, 09:30 PM   #100
DVD Talk Legend

Here's to hoping the $6.99 cup of freshly squeezed organic orange juice drops to $5.99.