Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 06-19-17, 02:49 PM   #51
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Amazon is buying Whole Foods for $13.7 billion

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
Groceries plays a big part in Walmart's modern day success. That's all.

Walmart is known for cheap prices, for both products and groceries
Amazon is known for cheap prices on products, convenience and now groceries
There might be some initial crossover due to plain curiousity...but I really don't think we'll be seeing Walmart customers walking into a Whole Foods on a regular basis. Completely different types of products these consumers buy and a completely different level of consumer awareness.

I just don't see Whole Foods buying truckloads of Depends, Pampers, Friskies cat food, bulk toilet paper, and giving Kellogg's the majority shelving of cereals.

When and if that happens, I will correct myself.

"I don't sell airplane parts. I've never sold airplane parts."
Old 06-19-17, 03:07 PM   #52
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, you're right, I always forget about that aspect.

I don't think they're going to be dropping Sam's Choice for 365 anytime soon, and i'm pretty sure there's a core group of Walmart shoppers whose heads would explode when they saw the lack of Little Debbie snacks.
Old 06-19-17, 03:59 PM   #53
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
There might be some initial crossover due to plain curiousity...but I really don't think we'll be seeing Walmart customers walking into a Whole Foods on a regular basis. Completely different types of products these consumers buy and a completely different level of consumer awareness.

I just don't see Whole Foods buying truckloads of Depends, Pampers, Friskies cat food, bulk toilet paper, and giving Kellogg's the majority shelving of cereals.

When and if that happens, I will correct myself.
And that's why I asked the question. I just don't see Walmart grocery shoppers going to/ordering online from WF, and I certainly don't see WH shoppers going to Walmart. The stores each go after a different demographic.
Old 06-19-17, 04:56 PM   #54
DVD Talk Legend

I think it will have a significant impact on all other places that sell groceries and goods.

I think there are more people like me who shop at WF and Walmart. Yet thanks to Amazon Prime I've already cut way back on Walmart and Costco. I let Amazon send me bulk items to my door w/free shipping. I even buy deodorant and toothpaste on Amazon instead of Wally World.

Now there may be even more options. And how to get them.

I'm not saying Walmart will go out of business...but I think there will be a significant effect.
Old 06-19-17, 06:24 PM   #55
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler View Post
I hope they don't lower their prices. Whole Foods is the most reliable grocery store around here. It's what you pay for. Regular grocery stores are hit and miss in their produce, meat, and pre-made food departments.
No, you've got it backward. It simply gives Amazon a convenient excuse to RAISE its prices all across the board. After all, they've now got the 'branding' of the Whole Foods moniker. They PAID for it, $13.7 billion, so now they're ENTITLED! So along with their usual cavalier, snobbish MO, they now get to sell vastly-overpriced food to foodie Millenials. Hoo-ray.

Maybe they'll drop some of their gold along the way to the bank, so the little people can share in their new-found wealth? Nah, not a chance!

Actually, I would never THINK of using Amazon for groceries of any kind (especially not the extremely fresh, organic, perishable fodder that Whole Foods sells!), but more power to those who want to line its coffers.
Old 06-19-17, 06:30 PM   #56
DVD Talk Limited Edition

WTF is up with you and Amazon?
Old 06-19-17, 06:48 PM   #57
DVD Talk Hero

Amazon just announced 2500 new jobs in my town, half being salaried above $50k, they're currently our best friends. They also built a 800,000 sq ft facility which employed a shitload of people. This, oddly enough, also brought an Ikea to town.
Old 06-19-17, 07:06 PM   #58
DVD Talk Hero

Amazon has been advertising a lot for jobs at the new facility here.

My So-Called DVD Life (Profiler),A Fistful of Discs (DVDAf)
Old 06-19-17, 07:25 PM   #59
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
No, you've got it backward.
What are you trying to say here? Can I invite you to a candlelit foodie dinner to change your opinion?
Old 06-19-17, 07:30 PM   #60
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
What are you trying to say here? Can I invite you to a candlelit foodie dinner to change your opinion?
As long as there are no Amazon employees there! Free food is always welcomed, even if it carries Whole Food's usual 5x markup.

Seriously, Amazon may be providing 'jobs', but are they they best types of 'jobs' for the good of our country? Amazon doesn't care about people, they care about their bottom line, and they absolutely will not stop until the only stores available for us to shop at all say "AMAZON." Ruthless, avaricious scum. Well, I'll continue to support my local "small" vendors, and I hope a contingent of other people will as well. Amazon is not welcome in my city.
Old 06-19-17, 08:38 PM   #61
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
As long as there are no Amazon employees there! Free food is always welcomed, even if it carries Whole Food's usual 5x markup.

Seriously, Amazon may be providing 'jobs', but are they they best types of 'jobs' for the good of our country? Amazon doesn't care about people, they care about their bottom line, and they absolutely will not stop until the only stores available for us to shop at all say "AMAZON." Ruthless, avaricious scum. Well, I'll continue to support my local "small" vendors, and I hope a contingent of other people will as well. Amazon is not welcome in my city.
Well...good luck with that...

Kodak thought it best to stick to film and paper to (not willing to change to what the consumer wanted).

I love local small vendors as much as the next guy. But for the unique, unusual, distinctive items. For example, I'm a craft beer whore. I only buy local, craft beer. But it is a small niche type item.

But I love that Amazon will send me bulk paper towels to my door for the same price as my local Costco.

BTW I'm curious what jobs you think are "right"? I would think any job that helps you take care of your family is "right".
Old 06-19-17, 08:41 PM   #62
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Is Amazon the new wal mart in the "destroy small business" department
Old 06-19-17, 08:45 PM   #63
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyOhhhh View Post
Yup...in the same way wind and solar is destroying the small business of coal.
Old 06-19-17, 08:50 PM   #64
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Naw, Wal-Mart and Target already did that. Amazon also helps a lot of small businesses with their marketplace.
Old 06-19-17, 09:14 PM   #65
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
You want my cynical point of view?

Small retail businesses are built to fail. Unless they have something to offer, they don't have a chance. This is the Wal Mart and internet era. Modern "mom and pop" retail shops all have a business plan to fail. They open. They build up debts over time. And then they collapse.

This is because places like Wal-Mart, Target, and Amazon operate on 5%-ish markups. There's nothing a small business can do to succeed with those kind of margins.

They need to cover overhead. Including customers who abuse return policies. Which brings up another point ... there are A LOT of toxic consumers out there. People will buy a television, use it for a month, not be able to pay their bills, and then return it. Places like Amazon or Best Buy do enough business, that they can absorb these kind of policies. But it destroys small retailers. It can take a hundred orders to absorb the loss of one customer return. A good example of this is Home Depot. So many people take Home Depot for a ride. Someone will buy a tool, use it for a job, return it, and it's like a 'free rental'.

There's still opportunity out there. But only to those who have something special to offer. For example, products that people want to touch before purchasing. Clothing is a good example. Niche markets. Stuff like that.
Old 06-19-17, 09:21 PM   #66
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
Amazon also helps a lot of small businesses with their marketplace.
FYI, my "built to fail" idea came from watching it happen again and again to Amazon Marketplace sellers. I'm not aware of many (if any?) of those businesses who succeed.

I know people who ran up personal debts to import generic products (ie bed linens). They use Amazon. They nosedive their prices to compete with the other people doing the same thing. They build up debts, absorb crippling customer returns (it's pretty bad with consumer products), and then collapse.

The newest trend is that the actual Chinese manufacturers come in and cause account problems for those sellers. There's also a trend where the Chinese want to sell directly to the end-users. Check out the "Wish" app. That's exactly what they are.

The whole thing is really cut-throat. I would not recommend anyone try. You can make more money ... working at Wal Mart.
Old 06-19-17, 09:30 PM   #67
DVD Talk Hero

Sounds legit, won't try it. You have to have a pretty specialized product to make it on there.
Old 06-19-17, 09:43 PM   #68
DVD Talk Legend

Yea. I see success. But it's from companies manufacturing their own products. The reach of Amazon and ability to advertise is amazing. You also get access to their lean warehousing operations, via FBA (Fulfilled by Amazon). And people feel comfortable buying from Amazon, knowing they can return it if they don't like it.
Old 06-19-17, 10:16 PM   #69
DVD Talk Legend

The other issue I have that I love me Amazon is how easy it is to buy things for other people.

My daughter is a year out from finishing graduate school. So in school 5 years now. I use to box up stuff and UPS it to her. Soon I learned it was much cheaper and easier to add her mailing address and let Amazon do all the work.

I also love Amazon for gifts. I wanted to send a little thank you gift to a friend. Amazon was perfect and get in 2 days thanks to Prime. I mean a little gift w/personalized card sent directly to her for $12.00 delivered in 2 days. Easy.

I use their wish list to save items for me and look at friends.
Old 06-19-17, 10:19 PM   #70
DVD Talk Legend

As for local mom and pop stores one of the big success stories is small batch craft beer and distilleries. I travel a lot and hit all I can. And only buy local on those items wherever I'm at (if I can't buy local then I buy craft).

You think Walmart and Amazon is bad. Do a little reading on In-Bev (owners of Budweiser). That is some scary $hit!
Old 06-19-17, 10:22 PM   #71
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:

They need to cover overhead. Including customers who abuse return policies. Which brings up another point ... there are A LOT of toxic consumers out there. People will buy a television, use it for a month, not be able to pay their bills, and then return it. Places like Amazon or Best Buy do enough business, that they can absorb these kind of policies. But it destroys small retailers. It can take a hundred orders to absorb the loss of one customer return. A good example of this is Home Depot. So many people take Home Depot for a ride. Someone will buy a tool, use it for a job, return it, and it's like a 'free rental'.
You've surely noticed the increasingly restrictive return policies that most stores have implemented within the past 5 years?

There WAS so much backlash with some stores insisting on a "restocking fee", but even Amazon imposes a retocking fee now on TVs, I believe. Not to mention that shipping is not covered.

I'm not one for abusing return privileges. It's unfair to the businesses. With entitlement rampant today, along with people who do not know how to properly manage money or run a household (ie, "wants vs. needs"), it is an educational problem more than anything, IMHO. The problem is multifaceted, but much of it comes out of sheer stupidity, entitlement, and selfishness of the customers themselves.
Old 06-19-17, 10:28 PM   #72
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post

BTW I'm curious what jobs you think are "right"? I would think any job that helps you take care of your family is "right".
No, some jobs are better than others, in the longterm health of the country vs providing substinence "week to week." Amazon jobs are of the latter variety. When Amazon starts paying their average workers 1/10 instead of 1/100 to 1/1000 of what their bigwig number crunchers, CEOs, CFOs, etc make, that may be a little more fair and better for the long-term health of the country.

Better jobs? Educating people in the concept of wants vs. needs! Counseling people to reduce debt, live happier lives without relying so much on "convenience" and using technology as a crutch.
Old 06-19-17, 10:40 PM   #73
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
No, some jobs are better than others, in the longterm health of the country vs providing substinence "week to week." Amazon jobs are of the latter variety. When Amazon starts paying their average workers 1/10 instead of 1/100 to 1/1000 of what their bigwig number crunchers, CEOs, CFOs, etc make, that may be a little more fair and better for the long-term health of the country.

Better jobs? Educating people in the concept of wants vs. needs! Counseling people to reduce debt, live happier lives without relying so much on "convenience" and using technology as a crutch.
So to be clear, you think the average employee at Amazon should make 10% of Jeff bezos's salary?
Old 06-19-17, 11:13 PM   #74
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:

I'm sorry but none of that makes sense.

A job is only good for the US if it pays a certain % of the CEO? That is nonsense and based on nothing.

I 100% agree on education. But if you pay those "teachers" the kind of money you are talking, who can afford to go to "school"?

You remind me of a friend I got in an arguement with. I mentioned I was considering buying a Tesla. Told him I loved the technology and that it would come to you on demand (depending on model and software). He said "that is what is wrong with the USA. Self driving cars for the lazy". WTF? Seriously? He said we need more people building "quality real wood furniture". Are you freaking kidding? I buy my furniture at IKEA.

How about we move to 2017!
Old 06-19-17, 11:21 PM   #75
Psi
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
How about we move to 2017!