Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 06-06-17, 10:22 AM   #126
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Millennials are killing chains like Buffalo Wild Wings and Applebee's

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfoobar View Post
I don't see this as considering millennials "entitled" or "shaming" them.
It seems more like the dinosaur business needs to evolve

All restaurants at that level (Applebees, Fridays, Chilis, Bennigan's, O'Charleys, etc) are a current running joke in large groups of people.

They should more blame Ryan Reynolds than millennials
Old 06-06-17, 10:28 AM   #127

Finally Millennials are doing something good for society.
"You concentrate on the sad wanna be hooliganism and let us worry about the actual soccer." - rocketsauce (final score: Columbus 2-Chicago 1)
Old 06-06-17, 10:30 AM   #128
Admin-Self Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendersfan View Post
Finally Millennials are doing something good for society.

www.endgerrymandering.com
Gerrymandering in the US
Old 06-06-17, 10:41 AM   #129
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4KRG View Post
It seems more like the dinosaur business needs to evolve

All restaurants at that level (Applebees, Fridays, Chilis, Bennigan's, O'Charleys, etc) are a current running joke in large groups of people.
100%. This is a combination of factors and trends coming home to roost. One of these, unquestionably, is certain restaurant chains failing to read the tea leaves and adjusting their menus (to include real and perceived food quality), marketing and overall image accordingly.
Old 06-06-17, 10:59 AM   #130
DVD Talk Legend

I don't have anything against these chains for snobby reasons. I just can't go to places where the average dish has 1900 calories.
Old 06-06-17, 11:12 AM   #131
DVD Talk Hero

One of the issues is that these restaurants feel that they need to have HUGE menus, that have everything under the sun, obviously so they can appeal to the widest range of people possible. But when you try to be for everyone, you end up being for no one. Problem with a huge menu is that there's no way any kitchen can actually prepare all that food. So almost everything is frozen, ready to make in plastic bags. If these place paired down their menus to what they can make best, fresh, they'd do better repeat business. But then you'd also need talented cooks/chefs to pull that off properly.
Old 06-06-17, 11:21 AM   #132
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by cungar View Post
I don't have anything against these chains for snobby reasons. I just can't go to places where the average dish has 1900 calories.
Applebees is actually the only chain restaurant my wife will go to now, because they print the calories on the menu.

-----
PSN: CactusKind
Old 06-06-17, 11:37 AM   #133

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni View Post
Applebees is actually the only chain restaurant my wife will go to now, because they print the calories on the menu.
Probably for not much longer I bet.
"You concentrate on the sad wanna be hooliganism and let us worry about the actual soccer." - rocketsauce (final score: Columbus 2-Chicago 1)
Old 06-06-17, 11:44 AM   #134
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendersfan View Post
Probably for not much longer I bet.
I'm not sure they have a choice (although they may not actually be required to do it until this time next year?).

Quote:
Calorie labeling is required for restaurants and similar retail food establishments that are part of a chain of 20 or more locations.

For standard menu items, calories will be listed clearly and prominently on menus and menu boards, next to the name or price of the food or beverage. For self-service foods, such as served from buffets and salad bars, calories will be shown on signs that are near the foods. Calories are not required to be listed for condiments, daily specials, custom orders, or temporary/seasonal menu items.
"When you're in your twenties, you wonder what everyone's thinking of you. When you're in your thirties, you don't care what people think of you. And when you reach your forties, you find out no one was ever thinking of you in the first place."
-Patton Oswalt
Old 06-06-17, 11:56 AM   #135
DVD Talk Special Edition

BWW's CEO doesn't seem to be aware that poor service and poor quality and/or poorly prepared foods could be one of the reasons why Millennials (or anyone) don't eat there. Their reviews on Yelp are mediocre at best and the vast majority of the reviews are from Millennials.
Old 06-06-17, 12:09 PM   #136
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
One of the issues is that these restaurants feel that they need to have HUGE menus, that have everything under the sun, obviously so they can appeal to the widest range of people possible. But when you try to be for everyone, you end up being for no one. Problem with a huge menu is that there's no way any kitchen can actually prepare all that food. So almost everything is frozen, ready to make in plastic bags. If these place paired down their menus to what they can make best, fresh, they'd do better repeat business. But then you'd also need talented cooks/chefs to pull that off properly.
Thanks Chef Ramsey
Old 06-06-17, 12:43 PM   #137
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vibiana View Post
I'm a leading edge Gen-Xer, born in 1965. When I graduated from high school in 1983, I only attended one semester of college before I decided to get a vocational credential (for several reasons, but mostly because my parents were retiring and wanted to move away, and because I couldn't decided what to major in).

I borrowed for my vocational tuition, which was about $3,700 less a Pell grant of $1,400 that I qualified for. I just checked this morning to get a tuition average for secretarial training today:

http://www.costowl.com/education/bus...ool-costs.html

"Earning an administrative assistant certificate or diploma may cost as little as $600 to $2,500 and as much as $10,000 to $25,000 or more. Pricier programs typically provide more robust and specific training (not only in basic office skills like keyboarding and word processing but also coursework in areas such as law, accounting, and business) and can take up to 1.5 years to complete. Less costly programs are often intensive training courses designed to provide basic secretarial skills like record keeping, dictation, and using Microsoft Office."

The median income for an administrative assistant today is $15.58 per hour. Know how much I made on my first job? $5 an hour. Nevertheless, my loan was paid off. If it had been $10,000 back then, I probably would have shit twice and died.
I was born in 75. I graduated with about $20k of school loan debt in 2000. Point was, school loan debt isn't new to Millennials. They may have more of it, but that's no reason to throw your arms up and forgo working at a restaurant, retail or something not in your field because you are "frustrated." No, you buck up and join the real world. Sometimes you gotta do something you don't like to make a living.

Now Playing: Horizon Zero Dawn | Puzzle Craft 2
Old 06-06-17, 12:44 PM   #138
DVD Talk Legend

I'm 36 and don't consider myself a millennial. I hate any phones as well as Starbucks!

Interesting reading some of these posts because Red Lobster in my area is actually very good compared to these other chains mentioned. I'm there at least once a week when they have the never ending shrimp deal. I also occasionally visit Red Robin and like their food.

Chili's and Fridays have gone down quite a bit for me the last few years. You just can't get a good hamburger at them anymore.
Old 06-06-17, 12:46 PM   #139
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by cungar View Post
So just eat the food and not the dish. Problem.solved!

In all seriousness, box up half the meal and take it home. You aren't required to eat the whole thing. I've been trying this lately and it's tough, but definitely helps the waistline.

Now Playing: Horizon Zero Dawn | Puzzle Craft 2
Old 06-06-17, 01:18 PM   #140
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMan2819 View Post
BWW's CEO doesn't seem to be aware that poor service and poor quality and/or poorly prepared foods could be one of the reasons why Millennials (or anyone) don't eat there. Their reviews on Yelp are mediocre at best and the vast majority of the reviews are from Millennials.
Here is the Yelp page for the BWW they opened in late 2010 or early 2011 near where I used to live:

https://www.yelp.com/biz/buffalo-wild-wings-bowie

The reviews have been pretty much the same with the same complaints (at least half the reviews being one star) since they opened. I actually created a Yelp account to leave my own one star review of this shithole years ago because I was so perplexed by how poorly managed the place is.

That there seems to have been little or no improvement in the intervening years says volumes, IMHO, about how poorly run the chain is. As I said earlier, I am aware of another bad BWW but the other 3-4 I have been to over the years have all been at least decent in terms of service.
Old 06-06-17, 01:33 PM   #141
DVD Talk Legend

I've stopped going to most of those places listed simply because the food isn't as good as their prices should dictate. Applebee's in particular is awful. Hearing about how much of it is simply reheated, as opposed to actually cooked, makes me realize how terrible it is. There are so many restaurants out there, even chains, that cook their food well for a decent price.
Old 06-06-17, 02:39 PM   #142
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMan2819 View Post
That's the baffling thing about businesses. They reduce quality, raise prices, and cut service in order to increase their profits, and the can't understand why consumers reject them.

They are so fixated on profits and growth that they cannot understand why people would quit going to their restaurants. It's like "We reduced the sizes of our portions, reduced the quality of the food we serve, and fired our experienced staff and replaced them with part time high school students. We reduced our operating costs by 20% while increasing our per-customer revenue by 15%. Why can't you plebians appreciate that!"

-- Lucius Annaeus Seneca
Old 06-06-17, 04:26 PM   #143
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I like BWW BUT you have to find the right one. Most suck. There are two by me one is OK but the other is about 25 miles and it is fantastic. They need more value menu items like the Street Tacos and need to lower the price on the wing selections. I go there about once a month but never get out for under $50 for me and my gal.
Old 06-06-17, 04:46 PM   #144
DVD Talk Legend

Locations and store management do play a role even within the same chain. There is a certain Friday's location near me I won't step foot in after years of inept service and uneven food. The other Friday's close by is much better and is always more crowded.

Over 5000 Blu-rays ranked by pure video quality.
Old 06-06-17, 05:10 PM   #145
DVD Talk Limited Edition

http://www.nbcnews.com/business/cons...urants-n768326

Article saying millennials love chain restaurants...
Old 06-06-17, 05:11 PM   #146
DVD Talk Godfather

I've never had issues with the BWW by me, although that one has 3 stars on Yelp

And of course you can GFY. -chess
Old 06-06-17, 06:08 PM   #147
kd5
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
That's the baffling thing about businesses. They reduce quality, raise prices, and cut service in order to increase their profits, and the can't understand why consumers reject them.

They are so fixated on profits and growth that they cannot understand why people would quit going to their restaurants. It's like "We reduced the sizes of our portions, reduced the quality of the food we serve, and fired our experienced staff and replaced them with part time high school students. We reduced our operating costs by 20% while increasing our per-customer revenue by 15%. Why can't you plebians appreciate that!"
My wife said out loud the very thing I was thinking: That sounds about right.

And it's not just about restaurants either.

My DVD/BD Collection
Old 06-06-17, 06:46 PM   #148
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
So just eat the food and not the dish. Problem.solved!

In all seriousness, box up half the meal and take it home. You aren't required to eat the whole thing. I've been trying this lately and it's tough, but definitely helps the waistline.
My partner and I split a lot of meals because restaurant portions are so out of control. If it doesn't seem like enough to share, we'll sometimes get an add on to the meal, or something a la carte to make up the difference.
Old 06-06-17, 06:49 PM   #149
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
I was raised not to waste food so I'll definitely take half home rather than filling up.
Old 06-06-17, 07:00 PM   #150
DVD Talk Hero

I used to be a big fan of Romano's Macaroni Grill, then they changed all their recipes, I suspect to make them "healthier," and they tasted much worse. We stopped going, and they closed down that location.

I like Red Robin, but have no reason to go to Appleby's. If I want to do a sit-down meal, I prefer to go to a hipster pub-brewery and get better food.
Challenges: Action 2017 | Academy Award 2017 | TV on DVD* 2017 | Holiday 2016 | Comedy 2016 | Horror 2016 | Criterion 2016 | Animation 2016 | Sci-Fi 2016 | Historical 2016 | Make-Your-Own 2016 | Drive-In 2016 | Leap Day 2016