DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 06-03-17, 06:28 PM   #26
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Re: Millennials are killing chains like Buffalo Wild Wings and Applebee's

I fall into the Millennium age group, my wife and I venture out to eat I would say once a week. We rarely go to these chains because the food sucks, and we can find a local restaurants that are offer better tasting food with a bigger portion for the same price.
Old 06-03-17, 06:33 PM   #27
DVD Talk Legend

It's OK. I'll keep BWW open as long as they have boneless wings.
"We wouldn't have to "regress" so much if it wasn't for that weird period in comics history when EVERYTHING in comics had to be awful and bleak. Characters died, became killers, were crippled and had lots of pouches and belts on their costumes, and we, this generation of creators, represent the undoing of that." - Ethan Van Sciver.
Old 06-03-17, 06:55 PM   #28
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler View Post
I'm surprised lots of restaurants stay in business. Who goes to McDonald's when there's an In-n-Out or other competitor nearby? Save for Five Guys, which is oddly priced like fine dining. In-n-Out is actually cheaper than McDonalds - by a dollar or two.

Subway? No. Jersey Mike's. Or even Whole Foods has great sandwiches at reasonable prices. Taco Bell still gets me because of their very satisfying $1 menu.
A hamburger at Five Guys costs just over five dollars. What sort of Fine Dining restaurants are you going to?
Old 06-03-17, 07:22 PM   #29
DVD Talk God

The Applebees near me just closed. Not surprised. I'm in densely populated part of a VA suburb of DC. They took over the Green Turtle lease, which failed too. Lots of millennials in the area.

There is a Buffalo Wild Wings on the same block. Will be interesting to see how that does.
"A question for you. Would you rather Bucknell make the NCAA's once every 20 years or so and get ass raped by teams like Kansas in the first round or have them drop down a rung to a confernce where they can compete for a title?"
- Josh Hinkle
1st Round Final Scores: Bucknell 64 Kansas 63 | Bucknell 59 Arkansas 55
Old 06-03-17, 07:40 PM   #30
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decker View Post
A hamburger at Five Guys costs just over five dollars. What sort of Fine Dining restaurants are you going to?
Not at mine. Burger, fries, and soda is around $15. Not fine dining. But not serious either.

If I want to spend that kind of money, I'm more of a Whole Foods shrimp and La Croix kind of guy. Which is what I just ate.
Old 06-03-17, 07:41 PM   #31
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Phillips View Post
I'm 48 and avoid chains whenever there is a reasonable non-chain alternative. It's not because I'm snooty, I'm just tired of all the usual fare. You can only eat at these places so often before you become tired of them.
I'm 50, and like chains. My favorite chain is Burger and Lobster, where I can get a lobster, fries, and salad for less than 30 bucks. Or Gyukaku (Japanese bbq) or BCD Tofu House (Korean tofu soup). Are they the best? No, but I know what to expect. Sadly, what I expect from Applebees or Chilis is dull food. I notice lots of young people at the chains I go to, and there are often waits to get in. So I don't think it's that millenials are putting those restaurants out of business, but their boring atmospheres and food aren't attracting them.
Old 06-03-17, 08:01 PM   #32
DVD Talk Legend

The millennials are right! I'm at the young end of baby boomers, and I never go to those places. I don't want to spend $60 for the two of us to sit in a restaurant with loud music and a bunch of television screens, and be served mediocre food and get $8 drinks pushed on us.
Old 06-03-17, 08:07 PM   #33
DVD Talk God

I think it is more likely that millennials simply don't have the same disposable income and purchasing power that their age group did when those restaurants were in their prime. They've got more student debt than any previous generation, as well.

It's like blaming them for cable and satellite tv numbers continuing to fall. Our parents got use to a $30 cable bill, and over the years we find we have average bills well over $100 a month. And they do need things we didn't have to spend money on, like smart phones with data plans and payment options, because they also have no savings.
“The illegality of cannabis is outrageous, an impediment to full utilization of a drug which helps produce the serenity and insight, sensitivity and fellowship so desperately needed in this increasingly mad and dangerous world.”

― Carl Sagan
Old 06-03-17, 08:12 PM   #34
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
The millennials are right! I'm at the young end of baby boomers, and I never go to those places. I don't want to spend $60 for the two of us to sit in a restaurant with loud music and a bunch of television screens, and be served mediocre food and get $8 drinks pushed on us.
Yup'. It's a dying trend. Like blondes with big fake boobs. Backstreet Boys. And Donald Trump. They were fun to go to in the 90's and have been clinging to corporate profits since. If you want to keep the name, you got to change with the times or die.
Old 06-03-17, 08:19 PM   #35
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Not at mine. Burger, fries, and soda is around $15. Not fine dining. But not serious either.

If I want to spend that kind of money, I'm more of a Whole Foods shrimp and La Croix kind of guy. Which is what I just ate.
If you want Five Guys and fries, go with a group since their fries are in garbage bag size. When on my own, I just get a burger.

I love Five Guys, but maybe I'm biased....I was going to their original joint 20+ years ago on Columbia Pike.
"A question for you. Would you rather Bucknell make the NCAA's once every 20 years or so and get ass raped by teams like Kansas in the first round or have them drop down a rung to a confernce where they can compete for a title?"
- Josh Hinkle
1st Round Final Scores: Bucknell 64 Kansas 63 | Bucknell 59 Arkansas 55
Old 06-03-17, 09:14 PM   #36
DVD Talk Godfather

I like Buffalo Wild Wings, the ones by me still seem pretty packed for big sporting events. I like it for watching football far more then a random bar with a couple shitty screens as BWW usually has large TV's and projectors with multiple games on at once. Their wings taste pretty good to me

Applebees on the other hand, I don't care for.

And of course you can GFY. -chess
Old 06-03-17, 09:21 PM   #37
DVD Talk Hero

Oh good, food shaming

BWW is fine. I used to work on their training videos and worked with Sally Smith, quoted above. She's really nice. At the time I was there almost their whole leadership team was women, which I thought was interesting.

I'm not a huge fan of Applebee's but the kids like it so we go occasionally. Sometimes the suburbs just don't offer a lot of variety and you need to hit the chains. I'm sure millenials will change their tunes when they start having kids of their own and don't want to deal with driving downtown for an artisinal free-range cheeseburger and cruelty-free potato skins.
Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow. - Men in Black
Old 06-03-17, 09:36 PM   #38
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvrdave View Post
I think it is more likely that millennials simply don't have the same disposable income and purchasing power that their age group did when those restaurants were in their prime. They've got more student debt than any previous generation, as well.
They got money...they just spend it on every upcoming iPhone and gadget.

Nothing wrong with that, as I'm looking at my 1500+ blu-ray collection at the moment.

"I don't sell airplane parts. I've never sold airplane parts."
Old 06-03-17, 10:22 PM   #39
DVD Talk Godfather

I don't mind chains, I love Red Robin. I enjoy Frisch's Big Boy every now and again. I like Chili's burgers and eggrolls. I used to love TGI Friday's until the closest one closed. My family loves chains for whatever reason so I do go with the flow and hit Applebees, O'Charley's, BJ's, Cheesecake Factory, etc. with them.

As for the article itself, putting blame on millenials is misguided. I think price and quality are the defining factors anymore. Why drop $13 on a bland burger at O'Charley's when I can spend the same at a local place for a much better product? All these chains just stamped out any originality in an effort to raise prices and expand and now some are starting to pay the price.

Quote:
Yeah, I love the "I can eat at X for $5!" *minus a side item and drink, which 99% of the population would consider a meal. If I'm going somewhere to eat, I'm going somewhere to eat.

Now Playing: Horizon Zero Dawn | Puzzle Craft 2
Old 06-03-17, 11:11 PM   #40
Admin-Self Banned

Maybe B-Dubs horrible service is to blame for their lagging sales. I've been less than satisfied quite a few times at that chain over the past year. Staffing seems to be down quite a bit at that restaurant.
Old 06-03-17, 11:16 PM   #41
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
Yeah, I love the "I can eat at X for $5!" *minus a side item and drink, which 99% of the population would consider a meal. If I'm going somewhere to eat, I'm going somewhere to eat.
Yea. I went to Five Guys once. Just once. Maybe six months ago. My total was $15. That's too much for a burger and fries. Total turn off.

In-n-Out is still my favorite place. It's $6.30 for a burger, fries, and soda.

Taco Bell is good for when I'm feeling broke and want a filling meal for $3. Fillibertos is good too, as you can load up on a giant chicken burrito, chips, salsa, and peppers/onions for $6.50. Easily two meals.

Lately I've been eating extra-healthy. That gets even more expensive. But worth it.

What was this thread about again?
Old 06-03-17, 11:22 PM   #42
DVD Talk Legend

These type of restaurants are killing themselves. Most no longer really 'cook' anything in house anymore, the most they do is reheat something they cut out of a bag or box. It really is same quality of food you get from a normal fast food chain just at a much higher price + a tip.

For example TGI Friday's had a much higher quality of food in the 80's, raw ingredients were brought in and cooked and served. Today it's all sysco foods heat and serve

On The Border mexican food is the same way, once upon a time they actually bought raw chicken and grilled it in house to make fajitas, now they buy precooked fajita strips, heat and serve (you can do the same with frozen strips from costco)

I don't eat in these places anymore because the food quality is worse than Chick-fil-A at a much higher cost
Old 06-03-17, 11:46 PM   #43
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Surprised to see all the B-Dubs love in here. I think it's trash. Way too expensive for shitty wings that are usually room temperature. I guess it's okay if you're going to watch a game and only get a beer.

If you want good wings, go to Jewel (Albertson's). Surprisingly good!

God bless the Internet.
Old 06-03-17, 11:52 PM   #44
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vibiana View Post
I'm not a Millennial. I'm a leading edge Gen Xer. And with the exception of Red Robin, I can't think of a casual chain I would visit if an alternative were available. To me places like Applebee's, Olive Garden, and Red Lobster are for rubes.
Red Robin has turned into my go-to chain restaurant nowadays. Places like Chili's, Applebees, Olive Garden, etc. have no one to blame but themselves. They've cut corners to cut costs for years and it's finally reached the point where their food is just terrible. Red Robin has a damn tasty chicken BBQ wrap that I just love! Their burgers are pretty damn good too.

I've eaten at Five Guys a couple of times and just don't get the love. All their food just tastes so damn greasy, even if they use peanut oil.
Old 06-04-17, 12:54 AM   #45

Fuck sit-down restaurants. I hate them. No wonder they're not doing well - the food is typically overpriced, tastes like shit, and you have to wait forever to get service. Screw them all. The only way I would eat the food at one of these places is if they were giving it away free of charge - and maybe not even then.

I'd much rather cook at home or go to a eating establishment without wait staff (i.e. a deli, or a fast food place). The food is better than most places with waiters/waitresses, you get it much faster, and in many cases there are places to sit down & eat.

The failure of these sit-down restaurants has nothing to do with millennials. If you have half a brain, you'll realize how much of a rip-off & waste of time most of these sit-down restaurants truly are.

Last edited by TheDude; 06-04-17 at 12:58 PM.
Old 06-04-17, 01:28 AM   #46
DVD Talk Legend

National chains largely are overpriced, their menus and prices are almost always calibrated for the most expensive markets they serve.

I don't mind most chains, they've definitely improved the quality of their offerings in the past five years due to the growing competition. But you can tell their entire business model now revolves around selling alcoholic beverages.

Some chains are clearly living on the fumes of their former glory. Outback has gone from a wildly popular place in the 1990s to now a chain struggling to get by in many markets.

Over 5000 Blu-rays ranked by pure video quality.
Old 06-04-17, 03:13 AM   #47
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I think the reason why Applebee's, Outback and TGI Fridays are struggling is because there's bigger and better chain restaurants too. A place like Applebee's feels quaint in comparison.
Old 06-04-17, 03:21 AM   #48
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I guess I understand their problem, but chain restaurants are just so crap compared to locals and fast casual it's absurd.

I would say that my wife and I only really love 4 national chains: Red Robin, Texas Roadhouse, Cracker Barrel, and Sweet Tomatoes. We love those ones specifically because the value is generally high. Prices are decent and you get a ton of food for the money.

In every other category, there's a local or a fast casual that slaughters whatever the chain experience is. And I live 3 miles or less from the densest area of chain restaurants in the country.
Old 06-04-17, 07:28 AM   #49
DVD Talk Godfather

I always forget about Cracker Barrel. That's a family favorite and one I do enjoy as well from time to time. It's also a road trip staple for us for some damn reason.

Now Playing: Horizon Zero Dawn | Puzzle Craft 2
Old 06-04-17, 08:54 AM   #50
DVD Talk Hero

My biggest slam against BWW (and most national chains) is that their wings are so tiny. They're more like pigeon wings.

My So-Called DVD Life (Profiler),A Fistful of Discs (DVDAf)