Reload this Page >

I'm alive and need some advice on buying a used car

Other Talk "Otterville"

Old 05-23-17, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On our last episode I was shooting drugs and hanging with hookers. Long story short is that O got some fancy new type of genetic testing which showed how my body reacts to all kinds of meds and I'm on a combo that makes me feel alive for the first time in 12 years. I'm going back to school this fall and have cut the bad influences out of my life. Still smoking plenty of weed though, I'm no sellout! ;p
I'm approved for an auto loan and have found a couple I like, but have absolutely no idea what to look for on terms of problems with each model. One is a 2001 Toyota Celica GT with 98k and the other is a 1998 Jeep Wrangler SE with 124k. I can't link to each specific car, but both can be seen at www.appleautolacrescent.com if you want the specs. Thanks for any advice!
Old 05-23-17, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 158 Likes on 109 Posts
Re: I'm alive and need some advice on buying a used car

Hey, norm!!!
Old 05-23-17, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 466 Likes on 387 Posts

NORM!

Old 05-23-17, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Received 660 Likes on 451 Posts

Stay away from the Jeep. Toyotas pretty much always hold their value better and are more reliable. Definitely get a pre-purchase inspection though. Glad you are back in the land of the living!
Old 05-23-17, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Toyota all the way. No way would i buy a nearly 20 yo Jeep...too unreliable.

With that said you should get it checked out by a mechanic before buying and see if it has maintenance records. Toyotas are pretty reliable but poor maintenance could be problematic.
Old 05-23-17, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 187 Likes on 104 Posts

Jeeps Wranglers are cool if you plan to drive on lots of trails and logging roads. Jeep as a brand has a reputation for being unreliable, but you'd think with how old the Wrangler platform is, newer ones would have bulletproof reliability.

Edit: And beware of buying used vehicles that could have damage from off-roading, be it a jeep, pickup or SUV.

Last edited by funkyryno; 05-23-17 at 07:58 PM.
Old 05-23-17, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 422 Likes on 212 Posts

Jeeps of that vintage actually do hold their value pretty well, as there is a dedicated community of Jeep lovers. The "TJ" (97-06) is one of the most popular and sought after Jeeps.

The one that you're looking at is a 2.4L engine, and while that is a perfectly sturdy engine, most people find it painfully underpowered. The 4.0L engine has a reputation for being rock solid, but leaky (easily fixed though). I bought one in 2001 and was told that the wheels will fall off before the engine went. I didn't quite get to see the wheels fall off, but I drove it for 230,000 miles before I finally sold it 2 years ago (for nearly 4K, which I thought was damn good for a vehicle that old with that many miles on it)
Old 05-23-17, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,508 Likes on 983 Posts

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni View Post
Jeeps of that vintage actually do hold their value pretty well, as there is a dedicated community of Jeep lovers. The "TJ" (97-06) is one of the most popular and sought after Jeeps.
A few years ago I thought it would be fun to buy an old Jeep to use solely for off-roading purposes. I figured I could buy a beat up old early 80s Renegade for a few hundred bucks, touch up the engine a bit and throw on some new tires. After searching Craigslist awhile, I realized I wasn't going to find anything like that for less than $9000 or $10,000! And those were for pretty damn torn up Jeeps!
Old 05-24-17, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

In what sorts of situations would the Jeep being underpowered become noticeable? I don't plan on using it for offroading. I want something that's not too big and wouldnt be a gas hog, but I've read that the Celica isn't the best winter vehicle, and we get about 5 months of winter here in WI. Plus, while I've never had an accident, there are a lot of idiots out there and I figured the Jeep would be the safer of the 2.
Old 05-24-17, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

2002 Chevy Cavalier. Best old shitty car I've ever owned.
Old 05-24-17, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Also sorry to hear you quit the drugs and hookers. Hang in there. The good days will return.
Old 05-24-17, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 187 Likes on 104 Posts

Is the jeep a hard or soft top? You'll freeze in the winter in the soft top.

I had an 89 celica, and, yes, it was terrible in the snow (too low to the ground).
Old 05-24-17, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by funkyryno View Post
Is the jeep a hard or soft top? You'll freeze in the winter in the soft top.

I had an 89 celica, and, yes, it was terrible in the snow (too low to the ground).
Hard top
Old 05-24-17, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 422 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by NORML54601 View Post
In what sorts of situations would the Jeep being underpowered become noticeable? I don't plan on using it for offroading. I want something that's not too big and wouldnt be a gas hog, but I've read that the Celica isn't the best winter vehicle, and we get about 5 months of winter here in WI. Plus, while I've never had an accident, there are a lot of idiots out there and I figured the Jeep would be the safer of the 2.
Your RPM's will start to get really high (3000 or so) and it will get really loud and you might start to feel unsafe at freeway speeds of above 65 MPH or so. It will be worse if you're carrying anything heavy or driving uphill.
Old 12-15-19, 06:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 145 Likes on 117 Posts

Is this guy still alive?
Old 12-15-19, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 579 Likes on 409 Posts

Lame. No CTOTY.
Old 12-15-19, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Deadman31 View Post
Is this guy still alive?
I hope he relapsed. Shooting drugs and banging hookers 24/7 sounds like so much fun. Tho I think people just smoke everything nowadays. Needles are icky.

Yea I'm not the best sponsor. Nope you're doing good Norm.
Old 12-15-19, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 648 Likes on 453 Posts

From one Norm to another, hope you are well.
Old 12-16-19, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 194 Likes on 145 Posts

As a Jeep guy that has owned 10 or so I would be leery of the frame and rust issues in WI where I assume they salt the roads. In New Englad frame failure is the number 1 killer of Jeeps. If you can swing 10K for a loan go for a 2 door 2007 and up Jeep wrangler. I've owned 4 TJs and all had frame issues, had 1 YJ again rust in the floor pans and frame and body. My last TJ a 2003 rubicon had a decent frame but the body was swiss cheese. I've had 2 JKs and driven a couple rentals and the only issues I've had are mechanical. No rust, no snapped bolts etc.

Never owned the 4 cyl but the inline 6 or larger engine is bullet proof and cheap to replace if it goes. You can get 200K out of them by changing the oil every 6K, the 4cyl is OK as long as you keep stock tires on it. otherwise it will be no fun to own. Ive driven with the soft top all winter and as long as you don't have holes the jeep stays warm. they do tend to leak even the newer ones with the soft top.

Look at the frame for gouges which indicate its been beat up off road. Look specifically at the frame near the rear wheel where there is a down curve. that is one of the more areas prone to rust along with below the doors where water can pool. IF the frame is painted black they may be hiding know rust or someone got ahead of the issue but beware of the TJs. A decent one is now down to 4-5K with 150K miles so do not over spend.
Old 12-16-19, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 194 Likes on 145 Posts

so a quick search shows the TJ is gone.
something like this will be good.
https://madison.craigslist.org/ctd/d...039761305.html
This one makes me nervous. been beat up and needs 1K for an new transmission
https://lacrosse.craigslist.org/ctd/...038318195.html

I've seen them for about 9K for 07s with occasional deals for less in the last few years. The JKs 07-11 JKs have the lesser engine and are getting older and are starting to lose value. the newer JL (2018+) jeeps have been on the market for over 1 yr getting closer to two... The TJ is now three models behind current and you see less of them on the trail. common to see them for 3K as they are being shunned. I belong to several jeep clubs and its a hobby and passion for me.