DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 05-17-17, 09:53 AM   #51
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Do you know anyone who doesn't watch TV or Cable?

I sometimes watch TV at friends' homes. One friend and I watch Grace & Frankie in the spring and Stranger Things in the fall. I have a TV but it's basically a vehicle for watching movies. If I am home on a weekday I might watch Judge Judy or Dr. Phil. Might.

Basically I haven't had cable in over twenty years and haven't watched unless I'm in a waiting room or something in even longer. I get my news online.
Old 05-17-17, 09:59 AM   #52
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by nando820 View Post
Look at all these cable-less people swearing they are better for watching 10 hour of Netflix/Prime and YouTube instead of watching 10 hours of cable TV.
We can watch two episodes of Star Trek in 90 minutes instead of two hours.

Thing is, if we allot a certain amount of time for TV, then we can get in more episodes without all the commercials.

And it has the added benefit of our kid not growing up with tons of commercials in his face all the time.

He still sees a few here and there on Youtube videos, but it's way less.

Doctor Who DVDs needed - The Web Planet, The War Games, Ghost Light.
Old 05-17-17, 10:11 AM   #53
DVD Talk Legend

Hey, I grew up with commercials in my face all the time and ended up fine. Hell I watched half hour toy commercials and other than the need to own those toys was fine.
Old 05-17-17, 01:56 PM   #54
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
Since I still don't watch those shows, I still get the same disconnect. "It's like the Red Wedding in there!" Um, okay.
Joke's on you! That's not from a broadcast show!

“OK. You got me. Your real world example proves that I was wrong.” – grundle
Old 05-17-17, 04:49 PM   #55
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bus View Post
Joke's on you! That's not from a broadcast show!
And it's originally from a BOOK.
Old 05-17-17, 06:23 PM   #56
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I got rid of cable in 2007. It's been 10 years and I don't miss it at all. I don't care about sports, so that made it easier. Now when I go over to people's houses who do have cable, the commercials drive me absolutely nuts. Life is so much better without commercials.

Everything I want to watch is available online or on home video.
Old 05-17-17, 06:49 PM   #57
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by nando820 View Post
Look at all these cable-less people swearing they are better for watching 10 hour of Netflix/Prime and YouTube instead of watching 10 hours of cable TV.
No one is saying the are better... just that they are better off. Based on your comment, it sounds like you haven't even read the responses in the thread.
Old 05-17-17, 10:39 PM   #58
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

My kids are always asking us to pause the TV when we are at a hotel. They haven't had broadcast TV since they were toddlers so they don't quite get it.

I think we ditched cable like a decade ago? We had Dish briefly once or twice, and Uverse briefly as a package deal for a few months or something, but we had an antenna/Tivo for a hunk of that.

We have an antenna now but it is only plugged into the upstairs TV and we almost never use (for the Superbowl maybe, to watch the commercials). I have basic cable and a cable box, it isn't even plugged in. What's the point of live TV without DVR? And I'm not paying the extra for HD and DVR any more.

We have Netflix / Hulu (I'd ditch but the wife uses it), HBO with my cable package for HBO GO, Amazon prime video as a side effect of having prime.

And Youtube Red (No-commercial youtube for me and the kids, and streaming music for 5 people, is a good deal for $15/mo).

Not a sports guy at all. The wife occasionally watches playoff hockey if the Red Wings are in the running.
Old 05-17-17, 10:57 PM   #59
DVD Talk Reviewer

Quote:
Do you feel culturally detached for not being privy to all of the sitcoms, commercials etc..
I'm relieved to not know the current ad slogans for anything nowadays (except those who advertise during The Simpsons.) I remember in the 80s seeing the same commercials day in and day out, that would be torture to me now. Just for fun I like to revive all the outdated commercial jingles I know, like when I go through the drive-thru I'll sing "Who's got the best darn burgers in the whole wide world- Burger King and I!"

Or: "At McDonald's, we do it all for you!"

Tell Samsung to bring it back too! https://www.change.org/p/contactus-s...agship-4k-tv-s
Old 05-18-17, 03:31 PM   #60
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGuyNamedMike View Post
Or, in our case, going from turning the TV on for 5 hours every evening to just 1.5 or sometimes 2.25 hours maybe 3 or 4 nights a week.

Though your accusation of people "swearing they are better" is quite telling. Some sort of complex, perhaps?
yeah small penis

"Twitter, Instagram and Facebook has given everyone a voice.. and they're all collectively using that voice to whine about everything. - Goat3001 "
Old 05-18-17, 05:52 PM   #61
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!

I doubt that. You're an Otter like the rest of us, and therefore very well endowed.

Dr Mabuse - You mock, but Sutherland got some fine young stuff off that kind of thing so don't sell it short.
Old 05-18-17, 06:15 PM   #62
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I cut the cable in July 2014. Was paying $150 a month for cable TV/2 DVR's and internet through Charter. They wanted to up my bill to $192 and I said no way. Figured I'd miss it but don't...at all. Now its just $65 for Charter internet...nothing else. Was $60 but they just bumped it $5 a month awhile back.

VUDU 60% of the time
Netflix 25% of the time
Amazon Prime 15% of the time

Thousands of movies to choose from on my shelves and even more streaming. I haven't watched a live sporting event in over a decade....hate sports really.

Charter got me back for a month a year ago with their Spectrum $20 app (for VUDU) and it has a bunch of channels. The tax on it was $12...for a $20 service. I cancelled that very fast. 50% fucking tax...gimme a break.

I can't stand commercials...and advertising....in any way, shape or form. I avoid it at all costs. Google is starting to get to me too with all of their targeted ads.

I'll never go back to having cable...ever.
Old 05-18-17, 06:37 PM   #63
DVD Talk Legend

We've cut the cord about a year ago. We have an antenna and watch MeTV and other OTA channels. I have a DVR that records OTA channels so that we can time-shift things. (MeTV has all the good programs on in the middle of the night).

To supplement that, we use Roku's + Hulu + Netflix + Acorn TV + XTV (Roku channel for everything else). That doesn't include my DVD collection that has been ripped to stream via PLEX.
Old 05-19-17, 06:15 AM   #64
kd5
DVD Talk Limited Edition

When we moved into our current home from the apartment we were living in we decided not to bother getting cable here. That was in 2009, can't say I miss it, we just got tired of paying $60/mo. for 65 channels of shit and advertising. Decided to get serious about building up our movie/TV show library with the money we were spending on cable. We now have over 1000 titles, pretty much everything I ever wanted with some minor exceptions.

We tried to watch a movie on regular TV and that was the proverbial straw for me. It was Secrets of the Mountain, an 84 min. Walmart movie back in 2010, they tried to air it in a 2 hour time slot, I swear they cut some of the movie out to make room for more commercials. It was like 5 minutes of movie followed by 3 or 4 minutes of commercials, we'd come back from commercial break and I'd forgotten what transpired before the commercials, had my stomach tied in knots. That was the last program I tried to watch on regular television. My wife watches Forensic Files and Steve Wilkos sometimes while I'm at work, while she's eating, but that's it for her as well.

I can't stand regular television programming for all the brainless advertising, not to mention the programming for morons that seems to have taken over these days. I would suggest that TV execs must think most Americans are ignorant lemmings but I think that goes without saying.

My DVD/BD Collection
Old 05-20-17, 09:47 PM   #65
DVD Talk Reviewer

I used to watch movies on TV just to laugh at the censoring. The ones I've caught lately do seem pretty painful to watch with so many commercials.

At one of the hotels I stayed at last week, I caught part of the movie "Oblivion" on FX (I knew the movie and channel because the cable box displayed them onscreen when tuning in, so no need for that annoying FX logo to stay on the actual channel!) The part I caught had some girl swimming naked and they electronically blurred out her butt! Major fail there, one of the original points of cable was UNCUT movies! Changing channels I then saw that MTV was showing- reruns of "Friends"! Really now- cable subscribers would seriously rather watch reruns of a laugh-track-filled sitcom that already gets shown on plenty of broadcast stations you can get for FREE, than any kind of MUSIC programming? This also featured a constant MTV logo onscreen and the words "Dinner With Friends" next to it. I'd rather have some music with my dinner, thank you very much.

Tell Samsung to bring it back too! https://www.change.org/p/contactus-s...agship-4k-tv-s