DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 05-04-17, 08:03 PM   #1
DVD Talk Legend

Rain, Rain go away - Lake Ontario flooding

In a battle of homeowners vs. environmentalists, there is a war of words and philosophies over what or who is at fault for the flooding on the Lake Ontario shoreline. Flooding images

Lake level has for years been controlled by dams which kept the lake artificially low. Homes have been built for decades on the shoreline with the promise that the lake would be kept at certain levels. In 2014 Obama signed an agreement with Canada which raised the level of the lake to more closely keep in natural lake levels, however there are hundreds of houses which were built under the old agreement and are now in danger of being swept away. Sandbags are being deployed by the thousands.

Environmentalists have said that by now there has been so much rain that releasing more water will only flood downstream. This is true. They also claim that the water reaches this level every 30 years or so. Not true. The last flood was 1973 and the water level is higher than that now. Also Fort Niagara which was built in the 1700's is in danger for the first time in it's history.

More rain in the forecast for the next several days.
Back in 1992 my job was to convince people they needed a cellphone. How things have changed. // 65" LG OLED B6P, Pioneer Elite vsx91, MX-450 remote, 253 DVD's, Samsung K8500 UHD 389 BR titles, 23 UHD4K titles, Toshiba A35 57 titles, Definitive Technologies speakers and supercube sub.// Still wanted on Hi-Def disc: Bugsy/Dragnet/PearlHarbor(Directors cut)/Timeline/Tin Cup/True Lies
Old 05-04-17, 09:38 PM   #2
Somewhat Banned

Re: Rain, Rain go away - Lake Ontario flooding

Yeah, lots of flood warnings in Ontario and Quebec, and they might have to evacuate Toronto Island. The rain has been crazy, the ground is completely saturated and we still have a few more days of heavy rain. We live only a few blocks away from a lake, but luckily it's Lake Erie, so all the extra water goes downstream, over Niagara Falls...to Lake Ontario. I didn't know that Fort Niagara was threatened, hope it's ok, we often visit there. Feel bad for the folks near Lake Ontario, hope things don't get too bad!
Old 05-04-17, 10:09 PM   #3
DVD Talk Legend

I'm already sick of all this rain. Had rain 4 of the last 5 days, and we're expecting at least 3 more days of it. And some of those days it came down incredibly hard.

I could never live in Vancouver or Seattle. Wouldn't be able to handle so many rainy days.
Old 05-05-17, 01:23 AM   #4
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Lake Ontario is at the end of my street. Fortunately, we're a good bit (30-40 ft) above the water level.
Old 05-05-17, 07:11 AM   #5
DVD Talk Legend

Getting pretty tired of being soggy. April had double the average precipitation while we are near the average for May only 5 days in with rain forecast for the next several days. On one hand if you are near the water you have to think that at some point you'll be fighting the water. On the other hand, most of those properties were built, at least originally in the 40's - 60's so I'm sure you get confident with 50+ years behind you that you'll be OK.
Back in 1992 my job was to convince people they needed a cellphone. How things have changed. // 65" LG OLED B6P, Pioneer Elite vsx91, MX-450 remote, 253 DVD's, Samsung K8500 UHD 389 BR titles, 23 UHD4K titles, Toshiba A35 57 titles, Definitive Technologies speakers and supercube sub.// Still wanted on Hi-Def disc: Bugsy/Dragnet/PearlHarbor(Directors cut)/Timeline/Tin Cup/True Lies
Old 05-05-17, 03:46 PM   #6
DVD Talk Legend

I sure as hell hope this isn't a harbinger of the summer to come.
"Another day, another dolour." -Me
Old 05-06-17, 09:25 PM   #7
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coral View Post
I'm already sick of all this rain. Had rain 4 of the last 5 days, and we're expecting at least 3 more days of it. And some of those days it came down incredibly hard.

I could never live in Vancouver or Seattle. Wouldn't be able to handle so many rainy days.
Man, I would love to live in either of those cities; love cloudy, rainy days and do not care for the sunny days of Calif.

One problem might be potential flooding, but one would have be very careful about planning the move properly. Not moving just for a view, etc, but taking into account potential flood areas, etc.

My feelings go out to the people of Ontario, but I wouldn't live in those areas near Lake Ontario. The writing was on the wall when those houses were studpidly built so near the lake...
Old 05-06-17, 10:26 PM   #8
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
My feelings go out to the people of Ontario, but I wouldn't live in those areas near Lake Ontario. The writing was on the wall when those houses were studpidly built so near the lake...
A suggestion:

Old 05-06-17, 11:44 PM   #9
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
When they were built, they weren't nearly that close. They were waterfront property which is coveted. The water wasn't lapping at the back door until the 2014 agreement. Then all this rain was a nail in the coffin.

More rain and even some wet snow through tomorrow.
Old 05-07-17, 12:52 AM   #10
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRochester View Post
When they were built, they weren't nearly that close. They were waterfront property which is coveted. The water wasn't lapping at the back door until the 2014 agreement. Then all this rain was a nail in the coffin.
I don't know man, taking that big of a risk on the word of a couple politicians when nature suggests otherwise seems awful silly to me.
Old 05-07-17, 12:44 PM   #11
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ View Post
I don't know man, taking that big of a risk on the word of a couple politicians when nature suggests otherwise seems awful silly to me.
That seems logical and I won't argue with it however all along the great lakes as well as the Finger Lakes, there are waterfront properties that had no shortage of people willing to pay big bucks in order to live by the water.

The standard which they lived by for 60 years was acceptable. Even the flood of 73 didn't wreak the havoc they are having now because the water started off so much higher this time.
Old 05-07-17, 01:22 PM   #12
Somewhat Banned

Luckily the rain has finally stopped here (for now), Lake Erie water levels are fine, and our ditches handled all the excess water that wasn't absorbed by the saturated ground. I feel bad for a lot of people who were flooded and thought their home insurance automatically covered flooding (it's an extra option in Ontario at least). If you live in an area with a high water table and need a sump pump in the basement (we do), or live in an area prone to flooding, it's really important to make sure you are covered by over land flooding insurance, it's worth the extra bucks!
Old 05-08-17, 10:15 AM   #13
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Here's some drone footage within walking distance from my place...

It's on Facebook, but hopefully you guys can see it.

https://www.facebook.com/ralphdegroot

The water level is usually a few feet below the level of the piers.

Apart from the flooding, the piers are another story. They're deteriorating and have been deemed unsafe for the past 2 years. It sucks as it's really a nice place for a walk. They're still deciding what to do to repair them as it's ridiculously expensive, ranging from $23-33 million.
Old 05-09-17, 09:16 AM   #14
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Western new yorker here - we just got down with the 5 day flood as well - looks like another round is coming with below 50 temps - planet is fine though....this is all completely normal.
Old 05-13-17, 12:40 PM   #15
DVD Talk Legend

Another big article in the paper on the ongoing troubles of people near the lake. The one question I have which has not been answered. Yes we had a large snowfall in March followed by a thaw. Yes we've had above average rainfall for the month of May. If this is all about the precipitation, and not about the screwing around with lake levels, why are all people who live right on the Finger Lakes not experiencing any flooding? They are in the exact same proximity to the water as the folks on Lake Ontario but I have heard nothing from the area. We have 11 Finger Lakes and I haven't found anything about high lake levels there.
Old 05-13-17, 02:21 PM   #16
DVD Talk Hero

I have family in Gatineau but luckily for them, they are up on a hill so no flooding. But the entire city has been messed up because of flooding. Schools closed, etc... My nephew is in his last session at CEGEP, and he had his last exam scheduled on May 25th. Now the exam has been pushed to May 29th. Small problem, he has plane ticket for Greece on May 27th...