Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 05-04-17, 03:51 PM   #1
DVD Talk Legend

Stephen Hawking: Humans Must Flee Earth Within A Century

Linky: http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2017/05/...n-century.html

Quote:
Stephen Hawking says humans must flee Earth within century
By Arden Dier · Published May 04, 2017 · Newser (via Fox TechNews)

Stephen Hawking is giving humanity a tall order: Colonize Mars in the next century or watch as life on Earth fizzles out. After last year claiming that humans have 1,000 years left on Earth, Hawking says in a new documentary that we instead have about 100 years until we'll need to jump ship as Earth is overwhelmed by overpopulation, climate change, disease, and artificial intelligence. It might be a bit premature to start packing, but the BBC's Expedition New Earth will explore technological and scientific advances that will enable life in space or a colony on another planet, reports the Telegraph. It will show "Hawking's ambition isn't as fantastical as it sounds—that science fact is closer to science fiction than we ever thought," the BBC says, per Newsweek.

Elon Musk of SpaceX is already planning to send humans to Mars in the next decade. But while a Mars colony is a good idea, bringing new scientific discoveries, columnist Eric Mack says Hawking needs to give his head a shake if he honestly believes Mars, the moon, or anywhere else in our solar system will be more hospitable than Earth even after a host of disasters. "Just cleaning up our own mess and starting over by rising from the rubble seems more practical" and more affordable than figuring out how to grow food or survive radiation poisoning on Mars, he writes at Forbes. The solution to all of our problems is here on Earth, he adds. "Yet somehow, the grass is always greener for some people, even when it's on a dead Red Planet."

This article originally appeared on Newser: Hawking: Actually, We Have 100 Years to Escape Earth
As long as we have Zombo.com when we relocate to Mars I'll be happy.
Old 05-04-17, 03:54 PM   #2
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Stephen Hawkings: Humans Must Flee Earth Within A Century

Last edited by andicus; 05-04-17 at 04:05 PM.
Old 05-04-17, 04:11 PM   #3
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Stephen Hawking: Humans Must Flee Earth Within A Century

Mankind is its own worst enemy. If we're going to have a downfall it will be because of something we do.

I have no issues with what Hawking is saying...just not sure on the timeline. I'll be long gone by then. Good luck to the next generations.
Old 05-04-17, 04:22 PM   #4
DVD Talk Hero

Sometimes I think Hawking is a little goofy.

Colonizing Mars sounds really good in theory, but it's a really, really hostile environment. It has a thin, unbreathable atmosphere. There's no magnetic field that shields it from radiation. Very little in the way of natural resources, including water.

If you're going to colonize Mars, then you're going to have to go through so many hoops just to keep yourself alive that you might as well just colonize off-world in city-sized spaceships. That's probably what we'll have to do anyway before we can even think about moving to the red planet.

-- Lucius Annaeus Seneca
Old 05-04-17, 04:26 PM   #5
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Sending people to Mars means one thing... Only the rich and powerful will get to go. It's as simple as that. Period.

Costs of such a "move" will be truly astronomical, much more than "cleaning up" our planet. What's needed more is a complete paradigm shift in mankind's (OK, "humanity's") definition of wants vs needs vs "convenience.". Reassessing this is, at the most fundamental level, what will really save us from ourselves and those greedy and uncaring people who run the planet now.
Old 05-04-17, 04:33 PM   #6
DVD Talk Legend

Like locusts, who fly to the next field when one is stripped bare, so will we fly to another planet.
Old 05-04-17, 04:56 PM   #7
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Exploration and expansion is necessary for a civilization to survive. The threats of overpopulation, disease, famine and climate change not withstanding, we will eventually fall into a post apocalyptic scenario if we become complacent about space. As long as we are striving to find what's out there we are ok.
Should a hospitable planet be found we must go there and check it out. If our curiosity isn't strong enough to find a way to get there, then civilization will collapse. Curiosity about the unknown is is part of the foundation that supports civilization.
Old 05-04-17, 05:17 PM   #8
DVD Talk Ruler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
Like locusts, who fly to the next field when one is stripped bare, so will we fly to another planet.
It might be a little early but I'd like to make sure we have a wall between planets. I don't want no Earthers coming in and causing trouble. They don't send their best.
Old 05-04-17, 05:23 PM   #9
DVD Talk Legend

Ugh. I'm staying. But y'all can leave. Give me some peace and quiet.
Old 05-04-17, 05:33 PM   #10
DVD Talk Legend

I'll start worrying when we hear from a more esteemed source.
"Another day, another dolour." -Me
Old 05-04-17, 05:35 PM   #11
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenbuzz View Post
As long as we have Zombo.com...
Someone is paying to maintain that site? It's amusing for about 10 seconds.
Old 05-04-17, 06:02 PM   #12
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You'd think in the time and the money needed to colonize another planet, we'd be able to fix this planet and stay here.
Old 05-04-17, 06:29 PM   #13
kd5
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by rw2516 View Post
Exploration and expansion is necessary for a civilization to survive. The threats of overpopulation, disease, famine and climate change not withstanding, we will eventually fall into a post apocalyptic scenario if we become complacent about space. As long as we are striving to find what's out there we are ok.
Should a hospitable planet be found we must go there and check it out. If our curiosity isn't strong enough to find a way to get there, then civilization will collapse. Curiosity about the unknown is is part of the foundation that supports civilization.

Curiosity is one thing, but the money to support that curiosity is quite another. Humanity is so hung up on money, we'll never get out there.

My DVD/BD Collection
Old 05-04-17, 07:01 PM   #14
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm de Plume View Post
Here you go:

Old 05-04-17, 07:44 PM   #15
DVD Talk Legend

Lately we've been having close encounters with asteroids. To me that is a sign. I don't think a virus is going to wipe us out but an asteroid is. Dinosaurs ruled the Earth for MILLIONS of years. We will suffer the same fate.
Old 05-04-17, 08:28 PM   #16
DVD Talk Ruler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic View Post
Lately we've been having close encounters with asteroids. To me that is a sign. I don't think a virus is going to wipe us out but an asteroid is. Dinosaurs ruled the Earth for MILLIONS of years. We will suffer the same fate.
Instead of making progress and going into space we'll still be here fighting among ourselves over fake gods and money when the asteroid comes. Serves us right.
Old 05-04-17, 08:29 PM   #17
DVD Talk Ruler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm de Plume View Post
Paging Bill Nye..
Old 05-04-17, 08:31 PM   #18
DVD Talk Special Edition

"... columnist Eric Mack says Hawking needs to give his head a shake if he honestly believes Mars, the moon, or anywhere else in our solar system will be more hospitable than Earth even after a host of disasters. "Just cleaning up our own mess and starting over by rising from the rubble seems more practical" and more affordable than figuring out how to grow food or survive radiation poisoning on Mars, he writes at Forbes. The solution to all of our problems is here on Earth, he adds. ..."

The naiveté and arrogant ignorance of Mr. Mack's comments is off the charts. Unbelievably short-sighted. An extinction level event won't leave anyone left to clean up... let alone anything to clean up.

As for a not-quite-extinction level event, those who physically survive are unlikely to survive in a manner that would allow human civilization to make a comeback.

I find Hawkings article interesting in light of a science article I remember reading a couple of decades ago.

The article was co-authored by Jerry Pournelle (and Larry Niven if I remember correctly) and gave humanity a similar time period to get off Earth and establish self-sustaining colonies. Their point was that certain resources necessary for space travel were going to be depleted on Earth within a century and once those resources were gone, humanity was't going to leave Earth again. Don't recall what those resource were, but I think the article mentioned they were available elsewhere in space.
Old 05-04-17, 08:51 PM   #19
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
Sending people to Mars means one thing... Only the rich and powerful will get to go. It's as simple as that. Period.

Costs of such a "move" will be truly astronomical, much more than "cleaning up" our planet. What's needed more is a complete paradigm shift in mankind's (OK, "humanity's") definition of wants vs needs vs "convenience.". Reassessing this is, at the most fundamental level, what will really save us from ourselves and those greedy and uncaring people who run the planet now.
Just like it was only the rich and powerful who settled the West as pioneers. I read you dude.
Old 05-04-17, 08:52 PM   #20
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
Sometimes I think Hawking is a little goofy.
He's suffering from Tyson-Nye Syndrome. An unhealthy desire to see oneself in the press.
Old 05-04-17, 08:54 PM   #21
DVD Talk Legend

Hey, if we wait another few days, Dolt 45 will send us up in a fucking atomic mushroom.
Old 05-04-17, 08:57 PM   #22
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
He's suffering from Tyson-Nye Syndrome. An unhealthy desire to see oneself in the press.
I'm happy to hear from these guys. Their positive attitude and passion helps drive the world forward. The world is dragged down by cynical and depressed internet people.
Old 05-04-17, 11:01 PM   #23
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Zod View Post
Paging Bill Nye..
I hope people picked up on the sarcasm.
Old 05-04-17, 11:17 PM   #24
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic View Post
The planet has alys had close encounters with asteroids. We are just aware of it now.

Did it bother anybody else that Hawking specifically listed ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE as a threat?!
Old 05-05-17, 07:27 AM   #25
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd5 View Post
Curiosity is one thing, but the money to support that curiosity is quite another. Humanity is so hung up on money, we'll never get out there.
It's the yearning and desire to go that's important.

We'd still be in the dark ages if people hadn't looked at the ocean and wondered what's out there.