Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

View Poll Results: What is the maximum length of a YouTube video that you will watch?
1-5 minutes 7 18.92%
6-10 minutes 3 8.11%
11-15 minutes 3 8.11%
16-20 minutes 1 2.70%
21-30 minutes 1 2.70%
31-40 minutes 1 2.70%
41 minutes or longer (if it really interests me) 5 13.51%
0 -- No time or interest in watching YouTube videos 1 2.70%
No maximum -- I will watch all YouTube videos that interest me no matter of length 15 40.54%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-03-17, 03:57 PM   #1
DVD Talk Hero

YouTube videos -- What is the maximum length you will watch?

Yeah so the question is in the title, what is the maximum length that you will watch of a YouTube video? That is of course if the content interests you.

Obviously most of you use the computer at work and either have YouTube blocked or can't watch long videos in the middle of a work day.

Do you watch it only for trailers, sports highlights, music videos, concert footage and short promotional fluff that's under 10 minutes?

Or will you actually sit down and watch long videos like Podcasts, food/cooking videos or travel videos? Those can run anywhere from 15 minutes to 45+ minutes?

A colleague from work posted his 1st Podcast ever on YouTube yesterday and I tried watching it. It was 35 minutes long. I wanted to watch to support him, but that's a long ass video to watch him ramble about sports, politics and life. I watched like 10 minutes and tuned out.

Some YouTube videos from content providers and vloggers that I like post stuff that I admit is too long and they end up just rambling.

I think 20-25 minutes is the maximum I can go with it becoming dry.

Last edited by DJariya; 05-03-17 at 04:07 PM.
Old 05-03-17, 04:04 PM   #2
DVD Talk Legend

Re: YouTube videos -- What is the maximum length you will watch?

Interesting question. For me, it depends. If I'm watching the latest viral video or sports highlight then I'd prefer it to be under 5 minutes.

I often watch stand up bits, recipes and how to videos -- those are usually less than 10 minutes.

Regardless of what it is, if it's longer than 10 minutes, I'm likely to watch it on my TV rather than phone or work computer.
Old 05-03-17, 04:07 PM   #3
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

All depends on the context.

In the Random video thread here? 5 minutes, usually. There's got to be a compelling reason to watch a video longer than that. But that's more a reflection of my thoughts on the general nature of that thread (quick random shit).

But if it's something about a topic I'm interested in, or by a YouTuber I actually like, then I'll usually watch anything under 20 minutes, even if it means having it on in the background or on the second screen or whatever. That said, if it's just someone talking over a still image of some bullshit, I won't bother 99% of the time.

If it's something I'm REALLY interested in, then well, there's no real limit. 2 hours I guess? I've watched a small handful of "debates" that stretch into that, but only when it seems worthwhile. There's a lot of YouTubers who just stream their boring-ass discussions for 5+ hours. No way I'm wasting my time on that shit.

So, context.

Also relevant:
Old 05-03-17, 04:15 PM   #4

I occasionally watch some long travel videos (45+ minutes). But usually if I'm looking for stuff (recipes, instructional videos, etc) I pick ones that are under 10 minutes.

I subscribe to Youtube Red, and find that without the ads, I'm watching a lot more Youtube. I'll often watch some stuff before I got to sleep or while I'm eating. It's easy to pick a few small clips, rather than sitting through a full 25-45 minute TV show episode.
Old 05-03-17, 04:17 PM   #5
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Depends on what it is. Most gaming content I can watch about 15 minutes or so.

I have watched entire episodes of The Big Fat Quiz and those are around 90 minutes each.
Old 05-03-17, 04:25 PM   #6
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

General videos less than five minutes, but I usually skip through some of it.
Old 05-03-17, 04:46 PM   #7
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I often watch full length feature films on YouTube, so there is no maximum length difference than what I would watch on regular TV.

On the opposite end, I often skip clicking on videos I deem too short. I'd rather click on the ten minute video and sit back than have to sit through a commercial, watch two minutes, and then have to click on something else.
Old 05-03-17, 04:49 PM   #8
DVD Talk Legend

If I find a good documentary, concert or old movie I'll watch 2 or 3 hours. I watch it on my big screen all the time.
Old 05-03-17, 04:57 PM   #9
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I will watch 8-hour pinball videos, though generally not all at once.
Old 05-03-17, 05:02 PM   #10
DVD Talk Legend

Depends on what it is, but if it's just some escapist bullshit I typically back out if the display shows more than 3 minutes.
"Another day, another dolour." -Me
Old 05-03-17, 05:06 PM   #11
DVD Talk Legend

Somewhat relatedly, at a private torrent site there's a huge request bounty for a 10-hour film that shows a wall with paint drying. Seriously, who on earth would find anything edifying or engaging in that?
"Another day, another dolour." -Me
Old 05-03-17, 05:06 PM   #12
DVD Talk Legend

Eight inches. Anything more and I get really jealous.
Old 05-03-17, 05:19 PM   #13
DVD Talk Special Edition

Depends on content. Documentaries, lectures, presentations, performances, etc., I'll watch the whole thing if I'm interested in it. Viral videos need to grab my attention right away, if there's too much set up, I'll skip forward to the money shot. DIY videos are the worse most of the time, too much talking!, i'll skip to the steps that I need.
“Pseudo-scientific fairy tales supply the public with what is wants: truisms, clichés, stereotypes, all sufficiently costumed and made “wonderful” so that the reader may sink into a safe state of surprise and at the same not be jostled out of his philosophy of life.”
Stanislaw Lem, His Master’s Voice 1968.
Old 05-03-17, 05:30 PM   #14
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevevt View Post
I will watch 8-hour pinball videos, though generally not all at once.
Wait, what's this?

Is this like those 6 hour train videos that go from Stockholm to Helsinki using just a camera mounted on the engine?
Old 05-03-17, 05:38 PM   #15
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The length doesn't matter if it's interesting. It's also easier on the eyes with a Smart TV since I'm not watching it on my computer monitor or phone.
Old 05-03-17, 05:40 PM   #16
Somewhat Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhan View Post
The length doesn't matter if it's interesting.
That's what my wife always tells me...
Old 05-03-17, 07:04 PM   #17
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Same limit as any other medium, as long as it interests me. Often watch films there.
Old 05-03-17, 07:31 PM   #18
DVD Talk Legend

I've watched entire feature films on YouTube. Capra's film Meet John Doe is on YouTube. I'm half way through a 2 hour doc about the 1967 Israel 6 Day War.
Old 05-03-17, 07:43 PM   #19
DVD Talk Legend

I guess you mean just going onto YouTube to watch? I never do, it's usually because someone posts something on here or Facebook.

But for those who wants to go all in, I dare you to 10 hours of Jeff Goldblum laughing.

Old 05-03-17, 08:53 PM   #20
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!

Too beaucoup!

Dr Mabuse - You mock, but Sutherland got some fine young stuff off that kind of thing so don't sell it short.
Old 05-03-17, 09:11 PM   #21
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm de Plume View Post
Somewhat relatedly, at a private torrent site there's a huge request bounty for a 10-hour film that shows a wall with paint drying. Seriously, who on earth would find anything edifying or engaging in that?
Alan Smithee if it's in a dead format.
Old 05-03-17, 09:11 PM   #22
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Is there really a difference between these two choices?

41 minutes or longer (if it really interests me)
No maximum -- I will watch all YouTube videos that interest me no matter of length

As soon as I saw 'or longer' I just chose it.
Old 05-03-17, 09:28 PM   #23
DVD Talk Legend

Honestly I watch a ton of YouTube. Way more than any other streaming service out there. I don't have a maximum length and just go by what interests me. I like a little of everything.

Some of my favorite channels:

Coolduder, The Flick Pick, The Nostalgia Critic, Screen Junkies, Wetmovie1- DVD/Blu-ray reviews, movie news, and vlogs.

The Review Spot, Shartimus Prime- action figure/collectible reviews.

Cinnemassacre, The Gaming Historian, Pat the NES Punk- Angry Video Game Nerd, live streams, video game reviews and news, a podcast (Completely Unnecessary Podcast).

Plus a bunch of random stuff. I tend to turn on YouTube and will watch stuff on there for hours at times.
Old 05-03-17, 10:03 PM   #24
DVD Talk Reviewer

Quote:
That "film" was made specifically to annoy the BBFC, the British equivalent of the MPAA. Since they have to watch everything, someone decided to make a super-long "movie" of paint drying and they used crowdfunding to make it. The more money they got, the longer it could be so it came out to 10 hours and the people doing the ratings had to sit through ALL of it! That's what makes it interesting.

I do almost all my internet-related stuff on my 75-inch TV and sound system (including this right now!) so I'll watch anything if it's worth the time. However I have a low tolerance for low quality or boringness, and unlike movies which I watch all the way through no matter what, I'll quickly bail on YouTube videos if they don't hold my interest. Some I will skip through just to see if they get any better, a few have convinced me to go back and watch all the way through. Ones with just some guy talking at the camera and not showing anything interesting, I'll just let them play and listen to while I do other stuff on the computer. I am glad that the technical quality of YouTube is getting better; I'll watch almost anything in 3D or high frame rate and trying to figure out how to upscale all my uploads to high frame rate as well.

STILL have to find an extra 2 hours, 50 minutes and 30 seconds to watch this, from a guy who has owned a Betamax since 1976 and put this together for its 40th anniversary:

Tell Samsung to bring it back too! https://www.change.org/p/contactus-s...agship-4k-tv-s
Old 05-03-17, 10:37 PM   #25
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by cungar View Post
Wait, what's this?

Is this like those 6 hour train videos that go from Stockholm to Helsinki using just a camera mounted on the engine?

www.pinballvideos.com is a good place to start if you're interested. The competition videos and tutorials will have commentary and should be more interesting than the gameplay ones without it.