DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 05-01-17, 11:20 PM   #1
DVD Talk Reviewer

Getting out of work to interview for another job

Since I've gotten nothing but great advice from my other posts here, why not share my latest predicament? I'm currently working for a company through a temp agency- it's the same one I was working at for a few weeks in January but was abruptly laid off due to "funding issues". Now another department of that same company decided they could actually pay some people to work so I got back in, but the same thing could happen again and my time there is slated to end in October, although there's always the chance of being picked up permanently. The job isn't too great and the pay is low, but at least it's a job.

The dilemma I'm facing now is that I just got set up for an interview with a job I really DO want, and it has a lot going for it- higher pay, better work that will utilize everything I learned going back to school last year, and most importantly it's in another part of the state so I will finally be MOVING if I get hired! The problem is it's about 8 hours away from here and I will have to take at least one day off from my current job, preferably two though so I can drive over the day before the interview and get myself settled, going to the interview the next morning, driving back afterwards and going back to my current job the next day.

I've gotten conflicting advice on how to handle this- some have said what I think is the RIGHT thing to do but not necessarily the best choice: I should just tell my current supervisors that I have an interview for a permanent job that I've wanted for a long time, and that I need some time off to attend it but will of course continue to work consistently for them until I am hired. Others have said to absolutely NOT say anything like that, as even at a temp job they won't take kindly to me looking for something else (although when I was first called about this job, I did tell the employment agency rep that I would keep looking for a permanent job as long as this one was temporary.) One person specifically told me to just call in sick on the days I won't be there (which they aren't too strict on, as I really WAS sick for 3 days in January when I worked in the other department and had to stay home, and wasn't required to show any doctor's note or anything like that). While that would be easy to do, my very nature goes against lying- and the kind of work I'm going into (accounting) requires 100% honesty as well. Besides that, calling in sick might work this one time, but if I have to go back for another interview or else I don't get this job but get an interview someplace else far away, I'll need another way to get out of my temp job then.

So, let's hear everyone's thoughts about this- either what you think I should do, or what you did in this same situation. Remember, my finally MOVING out of my messy apartment is riding on this (and don't you want to see pictures of that?)- and I WILL be making enough to rent a house or at least a duplex if I get this new job!

Tell Samsung to bring it back too! https://www.change.org/p/contactus-s...agship-4k-tv-s
Old 05-01-17, 11:33 PM   #2
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Getting out of work to interview for another job

I'm a supervisor in charge of 10+ employees and who handles all the hiring and firing. Do Not tell your current job that you are taking time off to interview for another job. Just call out sick.
Old 05-01-17, 11:38 PM   #3
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Assuming you don't get vacation days, yeah, call in sick.
Old 05-02-17, 12:06 AM   #4

Another manager here. I recommend if you have annual leave, then ask off for a personal matter. If not, call in sick for the day. Unless you are seen as too valuable to replace, nothing good will come from telling why you need the day off. Just MHO, though.
Old 05-02-17, 12:12 AM   #5
DVD Talk Special Edition

Not to mention you're a temp employee and you've only worked there for a few months and they've already let you go once because they couldn't afford to pay you. You don't need to "do the right thing" and tell them you're looking for another job. You need to look out for yourself first and foremost.
Old 05-02-17, 12:17 AM   #6
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If you do get the job, prepare for taking a week off just to pack up the extra long U-Haul of all your movies.
Old 05-02-17, 12:19 AM   #7
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imprint View Post
Another manager here. I recommend if you have annual leave, then ask off for a personal matter. If not, call in sick for the day. Unless you are seen as too valuable to replace, nothing good will come from telling why you need the day off. Just MHO, though.
Perfect response. And doing it this way means you've given them a little notice.

"i 'm new here. most of people in here are good. but there is a miserable person. Look into your mirror. Superboy!" --New Member, robert11
Old 05-02-17, 12:30 AM   #8
DVD Talk Special Edition

He's a temp employee who's only worked their a few months and they have financial issues I just assumed he doesn't have any sort of leave time.
Old 05-02-17, 12:35 AM   #9
DVD Talk Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Smithee View Post
my very nature goes against lying
You've been lying to us for three years about cleaning up your apartment. Do it just this once more.

My Countdown Counting down to: someone reading my countdown.
1127 days 23 hours 24 minutes
Old 05-02-17, 11:01 AM   #10
DVD Talk Legend

agreed most managers are stupid so you can't tell them the truth

Go with you need a personal day, your employer should not ask any more questions of you (no lies here)
but be prepared to say something if they do (now they will force you to lie)
Old 05-02-17, 11:14 AM   #11
DVD Talk Hero

Surprised you even have to ask this question.

My So-Called DVD Life (Profiler),A Fistful of Discs (DVDAf)
Old 05-02-17, 11:23 AM   #12
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Smithee View Post
The problem is it's about 8 hours away from here and I will have to take at least one day off from my current job, preferably two though so I can drive over the day before the interview and get myself settled, going to the interview the next morning, driving back afterwards and going back to my current job the next day.
Try to schedule the interview for a Monday. That way you can go up there at your leisure over the weekend and then leave after the interview. This way you will only need to take one day off your current job.

And I agree with everyone else, if you don't have any vacation days, just call in sick.
Old 05-02-17, 11:37 AM   #13
DVD Talk Legend

Old 05-02-17, 11:57 AM   #14
DVD Talk Godfather

Like everyone else said, personal day or sick day. Telling your current employer you're interviewing elsewhere is a stupid idea. I'd imagine being a temp is even worse since I imagine it's easier for them to just terminate you whenever they want.

And of course you can GFY. -chess
Old 05-02-17, 12:22 PM   #15
Admin-Self Banned

Call in sick. Don't tell them you are interviewing.

On another note, you have to Drive 8 hours for this interview?? What decade are we living in? Can't they do a Skype interview? My company is behind the times in Tech and even we do Skype interviews.

Last edited by VinVega; 05-02-17 at 01:27 PM.
Old 05-02-17, 12:24 PM   #16
DVD Talk Legend

Just tell them you have to clean your apartment. Thats not lying.

http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/cwrujosh
Old 05-02-17, 12:31 PM   #17
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

You will have to fill out an application at your interview. When they see you live eight hours away they may be hesitant to hire you. If you do get the job you will have to spend thousands of your parents' dollars hiring dump trucks and moving vans plus a cleaning crew.

I suggest finding a real job closer to home. Not a temp agency job, but a real full time job. Don't tell yourself you are too good for a menial job or one that doesn't pay well. It will still be more than you've made in, well, your entire life. Having a steady income does wonders for anyone's situation, unless of course they spend their paychecks on useless items.
Old 05-02-17, 12:33 PM   #18
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinVega View Post

On another note, you have to Drive 8 hours for this interview?? What decade are we living in? Can't they do a Skype interview? My company is behind the times in Tech and even we do Skype interviews.
This too. I guess it depends on the company and level of position, but hopefully you've already done a phone screen or something before taking all that time to go in for an in person interview.

And of course you can GFY. -chess
Old 05-02-17, 01:56 PM   #19
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat3001 View Post
Try to schedule the interview for a Monday. That way you can go up there at your leisure over the weekend and then leave after the interview. This way you will only need to take one day off your current job.

And I agree with everyone else, if you don't have any vacation days, just call in sick.
That's what i did when i interviewed for my current job and mine was out of state. so i traveled Saturday and then flew back Monday afternoon right after the interview.

And i would say that's a stupid question, but at the time I also asked it....

"Twitter, Instagram and Facebook has given everyone a voice.. and they're all collectively using that voice to whine about everything. - Goat3001 "
Old 05-02-17, 02:07 PM   #20
DVD Talk Legend

Driving 8 hours? Don't you have narcolepsy? You should fly to the interview and rent a car if you have to. Don't say that cost is a factor, because you may say that you don't have money, but your spending habits dictates otherwise.
Old 05-02-17, 03:08 PM   #21
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Agreed with everyone else - just tell them you need to take a personal day.

And what is the job?
Old 05-02-17, 03:12 PM   #22
DVD Talk Limited Edition

NEVER tell a current employer you're looking for a new job unless it's within the same company. Call in sick; use a vaca day; no show...really anything would be better.
Old 05-02-17, 04:48 PM   #23
DVD Talk Legend

How is this such a thing that I'm constantly seeing people talking about telling their boss why they're taking personal days?

Am I just really lucky to work for a company that, if you have the personal days, you can schedule them off to do whatever you want?

I'm sure as shit not going to tell my boss I sometimes take off days so my wife and I can play PokemonGo and have some alone time while the kid is in school.

Doctor Who DVDs needed - The Web Planet, The War Games, Ghost Light.
Old 05-02-17, 05:23 PM   #24
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm not even allowed to ask why someone is taking time off. As long as they give me two weeks notice and it doesn't conflict with someone else they get the time off. I'm not allowed to ask any questions either when someone calls in sick. Unless they call out more than two days in a row where they have to provide a doctor's note. I just say hope you feel better and I'll see you tomorrow.
Old 05-02-17, 05:40 PM   #25
Somewhat Banned

Call in sick and tell them you have the shits. No more questions will be asked.