Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

The One and Only Fyre Festival Mega-Thread Featuring JaRule

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

The One and Only Fyre Festival Mega-Thread Featuring JaRule

Old 04-30-17, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

re: The One and Only Fyre Festival Mega-Thread Featuring JaRule

The site in the Bahamas where the now-postponed Fyre Festival was to happen is on "lockdown" by the island country's government.

Private security guards were seen Saturday protecting the main site where people had been slated to sleep in luxury tents.

On Sunday, the Bahamas Ministry of Tourism told ABC News, "Customs has the area on lockdown because [festival organizer] Billy [McFarland] has not paid customs duty taxes on the items that he imported" for the event. "He and his staff have left the items with a security company guarding it."

ABC News is attempting to reach McFarland for comment in regard to the tourism ministry's statement.
http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/...ry?id=47103941

One would think that a basic part of planning an event in a foreign country is how to pay the taxes.
Old 04-30-17, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

They don't have taxes in foreign countries.
Old 04-30-17, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Match View Post
Seth Rogen and The Lonely Island Tease Fyre Festival-Type Comedy
http://variety.com/2017/film/news/se...er-1202403798/
I heard we should expect the teaser for the trailer of the announcement for the untitled and yet to be written script for the movie that they just thought of 6 seconds before sending the press release announcing the idea that could someday become a script and then an Oscar-contending comedy starring Rogen and some other actors who don't know they will be in it (and may not have been born yet) to premiere on Good Today American Morning! mid-week.
Old 05-01-17, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

100 million dollar suit filed against the organizers.

https://www.yahoo.com/music/mark-ger...130615275.html

That's one thing about the rich -- they have money for legal representation that the poor folks do not. Someone is getting taken to the cleaners.
Old 05-01-17, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
100 million dollar suit filed against the organizers.

https://www.yahoo.com/music/mark-ger...130615275.html

That's one thing about the rich -- they have money for legal representation that the poor folks do not. Someone is getting taken to the cleaners.
If the organizers had that kind of money don't the lawyers think they would have put on the festival? Maybe it's some type of real world The Producers scam.
Old 05-01-17, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The attendees had booze, food, water, and shelter, and they left the next day. I don't see the damage.

Fyre promises to refund their money. Once that's gone, the company will probably file for bankruptcy. I'm sure that even an fool like McFarland was smart enough to create a separate corporation to protect his own assets.
Old 05-01-17, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
If the organizers had that kind of money don't the lawyers think they would have put on the festival? Maybe it's some type of real world The Producers scam.
Well that's kind of the point of the lawsuit. They obviously didn't spend the money they collected on the festival. It must be somewhere.
Old 05-01-17, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by cungar View Post
Well that's kind of the point of the lawsuit. They obviously didn't spend the money they collected on the festival. It must be somewhere.
Ticket sales were never going to cover this. My guess was they couldn't get any corporate sponsors to fill the gap and used the ticket money on what they did arrange. Now the lawyers are trying to squeeze blood from a turnip.
Old 05-01-17, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!

McFarland, for his part, blames the inclement weather for the downfall of the festival, which was touted as a "once-in-a-lifetime musical experience." Speaking with ABC News, he said, "Early Thursday morning a big storm came through and busted our water system and affected half of our housing tents."
Huh. A quick check of Weather.com... Zero precipitation that morning, or that week for that matter.

This McFarland character is sketchy AF.
Old 05-01-17, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

He also sounds sketchy as fuck.
Old 05-02-17, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

He was referring to his location, thousands of miles away, not the location of the festival.
Old 05-03-17, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This is a cute cash-in on the gen-whatever clusterf**k: https://www.topps.com/shop-entertain.../gpk-sets.html

Ironically (ok, fittingly!), the whole set of 6 paper stickers can be yours for the FyreFestival-goer's sucker price of just $29.99.
Old 07-01-17, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Billy McFarland was arrested by federal agents for wire fraud.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...b0da2c7323b30a

HuffPo put this story in Entertainment. Well, I'm certainly entertained.

From the announcement by the Feds:

From in or about 2016 through in or about May 2017, McFARLAND perpetrated a scheme to defraud, inducing at least two individuals to invest approximately $1.2 million dollars in Fyre Media and an associated entity based on misrepresentations about Fyre Media’s revenue and income. In order to procure these investments, McFARLAND provided materially false information. For example, McFARLAND told investors that Fyre Media earned millions of dollars of revenue from thousands of artist bookings from at least July 2016 until April 2017. In reality, during that approximate time period, Fyre Media earned less than $60,000 in revenue from approximately 60 artist bookings.

In addition, McFARLAND provided at least one investor an altered stock ownership statement, in an effort to make it appear that McFARLAND could personally guarantee the investment. Specifically, McFARLAND provided an altered brokerage statement that purported to show that he owned shares of a specific stock worth over $2.5 million, when in reality he owned shares of that stock valued at less than $1,500.
https://www.justice.gov/usao-sdny/pr...estors-digital

Last edited by Nick Danger; 07-01-17 at 08:54 AM.
Old 12-10-18, 11:50 AM

Old 12-10-18, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

A documentary was probably the intent all along.
Old 12-10-18, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
I know someone who is at this. Or at least he was planning to. He paid $2200 for two people all inclusive.

In a way it's fitting this would happen. It's the kind of thing that would happen to him. He's one of those guys whose choices always lead to problems.
I thought I posted an update about this, but I guess not. My buddy’s account kind of flies in the face of what every single other person I’ve heard in the media say.

My buddy went. He arrived day 1. Most people turned right around. People leaving and the crush of people yet to arrive that halted when word broke how bad it was caused a total transportation break down. He and his group said fuck it let’s just stay. They hooked up with a group of ladies. He said there were two sponsors that just dumped their inventory and left. A pink champagne brand and a vodka brand. His group just slept on the beach, swam, played volleyball, and got drunk for 3 days. I can’t remember what he said they ate. His only complaint was “no ice.”

Altogether he didn’t seem like he felt ripped off at all.
Old 12-10-18, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!

Looking around he plead guilty and was sentenced to 6 years in federal prison plus $26 million restitution.

That's grim, bro.
Old 01-14-19, 12:22 PM

Hulu released a competing documantary days before Netflix drops theirs Hulu's has an interview with McFarland.

FYRE FRAUD is a true-crime comedy exploring a failed music festival turned internet meme at the nexus of social media influence, late-stage capitalism, and morality in the post-truth era.

The Fyre Festival was the defining scam of the millennial generation, at the nexus of social media influence, late-stage capitalism, and morality in the post-truth era. Marketing for the 2017 music event went viral with the help of rapper Ja Rule, instagram stars, and models but turned epic fail after stranding thousands in the Bahamas. Featuring an exclusive interview with Billy McFarland, the convicted con-man behind the festival; FYRE FRAUD is a true-crime comedy bolstered by a cast of whistleblowers, victims, and insiders going beyond the spectacle to uncover the power of FOMO and an ecosystem of enablers, driven by profit and a lack of accountability in the digital age.

An exclusive behind the scenes look at the infamous unraveling of the Fyre music festival. Launching globally on Netflix on January 18, 2019.

Created by Billy McFarland and rapper Ja Rule, Fyre Festival was promoted as a luxury music festival on a private island in the Bahamas featuring bikini-clad supermodels, A-List musical performances and posh amenities. Guests arrived to discover the reality was far from the promises.

Chris Smith, the director behind the Emmy Award Nominated documentary Jim & Andy: The Great Beyond, gives a first-hand look into disastrous crash of Fyre as told by the organizers themselves.
Old 01-14-19, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

One thing that always bugs me is when “horrible accommodations” comes up they show these giant white tents and everyone acts like it was a death camp. Those are fantastic tents. The North Face sells basecamp tents like that I’ve lusted after for twenty years.

This thing costs over $5,000!

People live in those things for months at Everest base camp. If I’d been there, and been ripped off I probably would have tried to dismantle and take a couple of those things home.

Also, while looking for that pic check out what I found. This is straight fire.

Old 01-14-19, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: The One and Only Fyre Festival Mega-Thread Featuring JaRule

And those tents were fairly well-depicted on their website. White domes on a beach. That's at least one thing that seemed to go as planned.
Old 01-14-19, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I saw those tents in Kingsman 2 at the VIP area.
Old 01-20-19, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The movie review on NPR said that both of those documentaries are worthwhile. Then in went into the story how Hulu and Netflix are accusing each other of being unethical, with justification.

So to review: Two competing documentaries, both of which were made with at least one breach of normal journalistic practice. Paying for interviews, generally, is Not Done. Likewise, having the subject of a piece participate as a producer is Not Done.
https://www.npr.org/2019/01/18/68626...-same-disaster

Mabuse, thanks for the update. I didn't know that those were top-grade tents and I'm glad your friend had a good time.
Old 01-20-19, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I watched them both. Rich people getting hosed? Yes, please!
Old 01-20-19, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dex14 View Post
Hulu released a competing documantary days before Netflix drops theirs Hulu's has an interview with McFarland.
Is this a real doc or a comedy show parody?

"FYRE FRAUD is a true-crime comedy exploring a failed music festival turned internet meme at the nexus of social media influence, late-stage capitalism, and morality in the post-truth era."
Old 01-20-19, 02:35 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Real doc.
Both are totally worth watching since they cover some different aspects of the whole thing.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.