Reload this Page >

So, I've got rats in my car...

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 04-10-17, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, I don't know if they're rats or not, but apparently some type of rodent.

I went in to Jiffy Lube for an oil change after work today, and the guy brought me out to show my my air filter, and there was all this fluff and lint-like material. The mechanic said "yeah, we found this nest in your air filter--looks like you've got somebody in here that isn't paying rent."

Now a couple months ago, a buddy of mine at work was having problems with his car, and when he took it in, they determined that the issues were caused by some rodent infestation. I had never heard of that in a car, and ribbed him about it--I thought it was the funniest thing, as he had kind of an old minivan.

Now I've got it--and mine is a fairly new 2015 Suburu Impreza! Anyone else have this issue?
Old 04-10-17, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Re: So, I've got rats in my car...

Has rats in car and doesn't even charge rent. You softie!
Old 04-10-17, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I got a new squad car in February 2016. It's a take home so its in my garage.

Set up with lights/radio and everything else by a local company. Got it home...first day in it I found small pieces of chewed up paper inside. Odd...2nd day...more. Figured I had a mouse.

Set up a mouse trap with some peanut butter...front passenger side floorboard area.

Came out the next morning and there he was. Must have gotten inside the vehicle while it as sitting inside the garage where the vehicle was being set up. Very odd....but got him. Set up a few traps in the garage to be safe...nothing in the last year...so it wasn't my house.

Set up a trap or two...larger ones for rats...see if you get something.

Good luck.
Old 04-10-17, 09:50 PM
Premium Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

In your cabin air filter, or your engine air filter?
Old 04-10-17, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Engine air filter, I think, although I'm pretty clueless about cars.
Old 04-10-17, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by FiveO View Post
I got a new squad car in February 2016. It's a take home so its in my garage.

Set up with lights/radio and everything else by a local company. Got it home...first day in it I found small pieces of chewed up paper inside. Odd...2nd day...more. Figured I had a mouse.

Set up a mouse trap with some peanut butter...front passenger side floorboard area.

Came out the next morning and there he was. Must have gotten inside the vehicle while it as sitting inside the garage where the vehicle was being set up. Very odd....but got him. Set up a few traps in the garage to be safe...nothing in the last year...so it wasn't my house.

Set up a trap or two...larger ones for rats...see if you get something.

Good luck.
Thanks--I will give that a try. I HOPE it's a mouse and not a rat.
Old 04-10-17, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't know what is worse rats or spiders:

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk/...me-otters.html
Old 04-10-17, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Build a wall around the air filter. Make the rats pay for it.
Old 04-10-17, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

I've had to deal with a mouse in my vehicle twice.

Once, I loaded up a loveseat from someone's garage into the back of my SUV. It was put in upside-down. It was late in the evening and as I drove down the road, with the headlights of a car behind me, I could see the silhouette of a mouse racing around on the bottom of the furniture. Sure freaked me out. Put a trap in the back of the SUV that night which did the trick.

Second time was really interesting. Had no evidence of a mouse in the vehicle. I went into my garage and climbed into the driver's seat of the van my wife drives. She had left a Starbucks cup in it and some other items. I carried those things back into the house and upon placing the cup down on the kitchen counter, was surprised to see a dead rodent in the bottom of the Starbucks cup. There was a little coffee mix in the bottom (from the iced beverage ordered earlier in the day), and I'd guess the cause of death was drowning.
Old 04-10-17, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I hate having to poison anything. But the rats could cause trouble. Get some of those green rat poison sticks. As long as they can sniff it out, they'll find it, eat it, and die within a day or so. Don't put them where another animal might find them.

I had mice last summer and unfortunately had to off them. Tried everything else and it didn't work. I couldn't afford to find out they have 100's of babies inside the walls or something. Sucks, because I kind of like mice.

As I understand, rat poison is just concentrated warafin (blood thinner). Liquifies their insides. I've read mixed reports on whether or not it's painful.
Old 04-11-17, 05:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I would personally not put poison out while a rat or mouse is inside your vehicle. If it eats it, climbs to an area that is tough to get to and dies....you'll be smelling it for days.

Put out a trap...see if that works first.
Old 04-11-17, 05:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

I've heard of pack rats nesting in car engines, so you might have one of those.

They can chew up wiring and cause a lot of damage to cars or anything else that has an electrical system.
Old 04-11-17, 06:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I heard they like fried chicken
Old 04-11-17, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

In mountainous parts of California there are marmots that will eat all the rubber parts of your car: Wiring, hoses, gaskets, etc. They'll destroy a car in a few hours.

Last edited by Mabuse; 04-11-17 at 05:14 PM.
Old 04-11-17, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
In mountainous parts of California there are marmots that will all the rubber parts of your car: Wiring, hoses, gaskets, etc. They'll destroy a car in a few hours.
In other areas of the country, we call them chop shops. You people are so politically correct.
Old 04-11-17, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not cool, i found a dead mice by my car the other day, but luckily he was outside of it
Old 04-11-17, 02:54 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Cardsfan111 View Post
Second time was really interesting. Had no evidence of a mouse in the vehicle. I went into my garage and climbed into the driver's seat of the van my wife drives. She had left a Starbucks cup in it and some other items. I carried those things back into the house and upon placing the cup down on the kitchen counter, was surprised to see a dead rodent in the bottom of the Starbucks cup. There was a little coffee mix in the bottom (from the iced beverage ordered earlier in the day), and I'd guess the cause of death was drowning.
Or drinking Starbucks coffee
Old 04-11-17, 03:04 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

You've come to the right place. Dave has dealt with many deadbeats and Im sure he's going to chime in here about what you can do. When it comes to collecting rent, you are not short of options.

Requiring tenants to pay rent via an auto-pay or auto-deduct system is the best way to collect rent on time. There are even multiple systems that will deposit the money automatically to your bank account. The major benefit is that this eliminates the factor of human error – i.e. tenants “forgetting” to pay rent.

All major banks have an “online bill pay” feature. If you don’t want to set up an ACH, you can ask your tenants to set up their rent payment as a recurring bill with their bank. This way, the bank will issue a check and mail it to you automatically every month.

The downside is that you still have to deposit the check, and payments could get lost in the mail – albeit, the bank is mailing the check, not the tenant.

Prior to the invention of online payments, some landlords would collect 12 post-dated checks – one for every month of a year-long lease. Then, the landlord would simply deposit the check on the first of every month. It’s pretty simple, but most tenants I know are uneasy about writing 12 post-dated checks – especially to a landlord they just met. Remember, it’s illegal to cash a check before the date mark.

Ok. The elephant in the room: Rats? You should only rent to qualified tenants with a great rental history. No surprise here, right? When screening tenants, you will see the entire gambit of credit ratings. Some prospective tenants will have an excellent history paying bills, but others will have downright terrible payment habits.

You should ensure regular, timely rent payment, keeping your collection policies firm and consistent is the industry best practice – but there are few exceptions.

In your lease, you should address all payment related issues including the:
  • exact amount due every month
  • where payments are made
  • acceptable payment methods
  • when rent is due, grace periods
  • the consequences of bounced checks or default.

At one point or another you may feel sorry for a tenant falling on hard times, or simply be in too much of a hurry to charge a late fee. If you are sure that a good tenant is only experiencing a “just this once” type of issue, feel free to cut them some slack.

Anyone else want to chime in? Dave?
Old 04-11-17, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

This happened to me just a few weeks after I bought my car. It was a bit of a cold spell we had here in Cali a number of years back and I'm guessing it had to do with my car's particularly warm underside. I was driving and suddenly all my warning lights came on. I took it in and apparently a rat chewed some wiring under the hood. It cost me $300+ to fix and while it was in the Toyota Dealership shop, the rat came out and scared the mechanic. So they put crackers down leading out of the vehicle and left the door open overnight. I'm guessing it left.
Old 04-11-17, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I put some anti-mouse scent packs under the hood and in the glove compartment, and I'm going to put a trap in later this week. Hopefully that will do it.
Old 04-13-17, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Old 04-13-17, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Im checking the hood of my car ASAP
Old 04-13-17, 05:27 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Ha, it's a weird coincidence that I recently had a conversation about this with my brother's father-in-law who works in a garage. He was telling me about how mice like to chew wiring because it's soy coated.
Old 04-13-17, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One of the girls at work says she has a mouse in her car. Thought it ran away, but showed up again a few weeks later.

Years ago, my wife's heater fan stopped working. It was located under the dash on the passenger side. I had ordered a new one, and started taking it apart when I found a dead mouse in the fan. She said, is that why it was smelling for awhile before the fan died?
LOL
Old 04-13-17, 07:33 PM
Cool New Member

I had this happen to my car and the dealer service department had the rodent removed during a service check. They seemed to indicate that it was actually more common than one thinks as rodents, especially in cold weather, search out someplace warmer. Seems more likely if you leave your vehicle in some place that is open to the outdoors for a longer period of time.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.