Reload this Page >

So Much for "Friendly Skies" ...

Other Talk "Otterville"

So Much for "Friendly Skies" ...

Old 05-05-17, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,092 Likes on 851 Posts
Re: So Much for "Friendly Skies" ...

Once they accept the payment or new tickets or whatever isn't there usually an agreement not to pursue further damages?
Old 05-05-17, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
Once they accept the payment or new tickets or whatever isn't there usually an agreement not to pursue further damages?
Usually that's the case. Although in this case you don't have much to sue for as they probably already refunded you and most likely compensated you for the hotel and additional airfare cost and probably one day's missed work salary.

There are no physical injuries, no long term injuries. Had they refused and been dragged off physically and someone was substantially injured , particularly a potentially long term injury in the process, then they would have a much bigger payout.

Also... Physically removing a 1 yo and 2 yo would probably trigger a much more stronger negative response, i would imagine.
Old 05-06-17, 03:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 262 Likes on 151 Posts

I wish people would look closely before commenting. It was not a flight attendant in the video, it was a security officer. I'm sure this conversation went on for a long time if security was called. You only see the last few minutes of idiotic vertical video. I'm sure the rest of the passengers were ready to toss the family off the plane if security didn't.
Old 05-06-17, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 176 Likes on 131 Posts

I caught the video last night. I find myself cringing while I'm watching, almost because of the behavior of both sides.
Old 06-15-17, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 270 Likes on 165 Posts

A new suit was filed against United, for something that happened 2 years ago. But hey, it must've been a slow news day in Houston:

Linky: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/14/t...-customer.html

United Airlines has again been sued by a passenger for mistreatment, after he was pushed to the floor by a United employee in 2015 at George Bush Intercontinental Airport in Houston. The airline issued an apology, but only after video of the episode was made public.

The Houston television station KPRC broke the story on Tuesday when it obtained the surveillance video, from July 21, 2015, showing a customer service agent shoving a 71-year-old man to the floor near check-in kiosks. The video shows the man lying motionless and unattended despite the presence of several United employees in the area. After nearly a minute, another passenger approaches and tells the employees to call 911.

The release of the video follows a high-profile altercation in April, when a United passenger, David Dao, was dragged violently from his seat on an overbooked flight after he refused to give it up.

“I don’t think this is United specifically,” said Gary Leff, the author of the travel blog Viewfromthewing.com. “But U.S. airlines generally have not been good at screening for the best talent and screening out people who are not good at customer service.”

United issued a statement to KPRC describing the employee’s behavior as “completely unacceptable” and noting that he is no longer with the company. The passenger, Ronald Tigner of Houston, has filed a lawsuit against the airline, claiming negligence, for more than $1 million.

The episode began when Mr. Tigner requested a new boarding pass, saying that the original was illegible, but was denied by the airline, KPRC reported. Security agents with the Transportation Security Administration rejected the ticket, and when Mr. Tigner returned to the counter he was again rebuffed. According to the report, the United employee, Alejandro Anastasia, said, “Can’t you see we’re busy?” Mr. Tigner then told him to “wipe that smile off your face,” after which Mr. Anastasia swore at him and pushed him to the ground, where Mr. Tigner remained motionless for several minutes.
Video (no audio):

Tigner is the white-haired dude who walks into frame from the left at the very beginning. Surrounded by United employees, he lays ignored, motionless and unconscious, from 0:34 to 1:25 (nearly a full minute) before another passenger comes to check on him and yells for someone to call 911.

for nearly a minute by United employees until a passenger

Last edited by kenbuzz; 06-15-17 at 03:28 PM.
Old 07-06-17, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Glad to see airlines have changed...

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/united-air...opstories.html
Old 07-06-17, 11:08 AM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 165 Likes on 124 Posts

Did she get a refund? Did United sell the seat twice and keep all the money?

Notice how she felt afraid to speak up because of fear over past incidents.

Why is United so racist against asians?
Old 07-06-17, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 694 Likes on 502 Posts

NBD. A mistake was made scanning her son's ticket. They got both tickets refunded and got a travel voucher.
Old 07-06-17, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by TomOpus View Post
NBD. A mistake was made scanning her son's ticket. They got both tickets refunded and got a travel voucher.
They should not have seated the standby passenger in the first place
Old 07-06-17, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 84 Likes on 63 Posts

Only forced the kid to fly in a non safe fashion, not a big deal. If he can fly without a seat belt why can't everybody?
Old 07-06-17, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus View Post
Originally Posted by D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB) View Post
They should not have seated the standby passenger in the first place
If you buy United's story, it's not so clear that they shouldn't have seated the other traveler. because he was a ticketed passenger at that point, and might have been just as screwed if they denied him boarding.
Old 07-06-17, 12:47 PM

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

My guess is that the standby passenger pulled a "Do you know who I am?" and the agent noticed the child and thought it was under 2 years and could be "bumped" down to lap status.

That said, bottom line is that a standby passenger should never be able to bump a ticketed passenger, regardless of age or status.
Old 07-06-17, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by LurkerDan View Post
If you buy United's story, it's not so clear that they shouldn't have seated the other traveler. because he was a ticketed passenger at that point, and might have been just as screwed if they denied him boarding.
At which point the involuntary boarding procedures should come into place... Meaning paying up to $10k. Of course the airline took a calculated risk and thought that the mother looked docile enough that she wouldn't do anything. When she did, they refunded the tickets and gave her a voucher.
Old 07-06-17, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 187 Likes on 104 Posts

United should have made the kid sit in the lap of the guy who got his seat.
Old 07-06-17, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,092 Likes on 851 Posts

So if someone doesn't check in, don't they check if anyone is in the seat first before giving it away (preventi incidents like a mis scan)? Or does that take too much time? I mean what happens if they guy whose ticket didn't get scanned was an adult?
Old 07-07-17, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

I've flown on Southwest 3 times in the last three months...NO complaints whatsoever.
Old 07-07-17, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
My guess is that the standby passenger pulled a "Do you know who I am?" and the agent noticed the child and thought it was under 2 years and could be "bumped" down to lap status.

That said, bottom line is that a standby passenger should never be able to bump a ticketed passenger, regardless of age or status.
The child was not under 2 years old and could not be bumped down to lap status. Supposedly (according to the article), there was an issue with the scanning of the kid's boarding pass, so they thought the seat was vacant.

Originally Posted by D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB) View Post
At which point the involuntary boarding procedures should come into place... Meaning paying up to $10k. Of course the airline took a calculated risk and thought that the mother looked docile enough that she wouldn't do anything. When she did, they refunded the tickets and gave her a voucher.
Agreed, mostly. But I bet it was less of a calculated risk and more of an "oh fuck, what do we do now" type thing.

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
So if someone doesn't check in, don't they check if anyone is in the seat first before giving it away (preventi incidents like a mis scan)? Or does that take too much time? I mean what happens if they guy whose ticket didn't get scanned was an adult?
AFAIK, nobody checks to see if someone is in the seat. But your last question is a good point, as I said above, I think they did an "oh fuck, what do we do now" and made a call based on the kiddo, but if the person was an adult, they would have done something different, like DPham said.
Old 07-07-17, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 155 Likes on 107 Posts

AFAIK, nobody checks to see if someone is in the seat. But your last question is a good point, as I said above, I think they did an "oh fuck, what do we do now" and made a call based on the kiddo, but if the person was an adult, they would have done something different, like DPham said.
They normally check for available seats after all confirmed passengers have boarded or when they hit the boarding deadline and have a number stand-bys waiting (varies by airline).

This would've been a completely different story if there was an adult with some sort of platinum status in that seat.
Old 07-07-17, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by candyrocket786 View Post
They normally check for available seats after all confirmed passengers have boarded or when they hit the boarding deadline and have a number stand-bys waiting (varies by airline).

This would've been a completely different story if there was an adult with some sort of platinum status in that seat.
Do you mean they physically walk onto the plane and check to make sure the open seats in their computer are actually open? I don't think I have seen that happen, and I think that is what fusjishig was saying.

Agreed on the second point.
Old 07-07-17, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 155 Likes on 107 Posts

Do you mean they physically walk onto the plane and check to make sure the open seats in their computer are actually open? I don't think I have seen that happen, and I think that is what fusjishig was saying.

Agreed on the second point.
I assume both, but I've only seen a physical open seat count done on my AA and United flights by an agent or flight attendant.

I wonder if the boarding pass issue was related to new automated scanners used by United at certain airports. The ones where you scan your boarding pass and the clear gates open. The mother could've only scanned her pass while carrying the kid, which is why the seat was still shown to be open.
Old 07-07-17, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

that's what I assumed, that somehow the scanning of the kid's pass was missed, probably because she was carrying the kid (understandable given the age) or the gate attendant somehow just missed it (again, probably because of the kid's age).