Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

How was your love life at 11? 11 year old kills self over gf's social media prank

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

How was your love life at 11? 11 year old kills self over gf's social media prank

Old 04-07-17, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Tragic story but what is this kid doing dating a 13 year old at age 11?

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/mom...ank/ar-BBzv82K

Mom says 11-year-old killed himself after cruel "social media prank"
CBS News Jennifer Earl 1 day ago

A mother is speaking out about the tragic death of her 11-year-old son, who, she says, decided to end his own life as a result of a cruel “social media prank.”

The boy, Tysen Benz of Marquette, Michigan, died Tuesday at the University of Michigan Hospital in Ann Arbor after spending three weeks on life support following a suicide attempt on March 14.

His mom, Katrina Goss, told CBS News on Thursday that her son was “manipulated” and “pranked” by a 13-year-old girl, who is not being identified because she’s a minor.

“She told him she was going to kill herself and used other friends’ social media accounts to put forth further fake proof that she did so,” Goss claims. “He even said he was going to kill himself and she didn’t make any attempt to call me or someone else to try to stop him. [His death] should never have happened.”
Old 04-07-17, 06:01 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Re: How was your love life at 11? 11 year old kills self over gf's social media prank

People suck.
Old 04-07-17, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Re: How was your love life at 11? 11 year old kills self over gf's social media prank

As do social media and the Internet. Way too easy to suck disproportionally hard now.
Old 04-07-17, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Pussy is a powerful thing.
Old 04-07-17, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Is this this generation's Romeo and Juliet?
Old 04-07-17, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

How was my love life at 11? I had a crush on a pretty girl named Sabine. Then I went home, read comic books, listened to Top 40 music on my clock radio, dicked around on the family Apple ][+ computer doing BASIC programming, watched CHiPs, and basically killed time until I discovered masturbation a year later.
Old 04-07-17, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy View Post
How was my love life at 11? I had a crush on a pretty girl named Sabine. Then I went home, read comic books, listened to Top 40 music on my clock radio, dicked around on the family Apple ][+ computer doing BASIC programming, watched CHiPs, and basically killed time until I discovered masturbation a year later.
How was my love life at 11? I had a crush on a pretty girl named Kat. Then I went home, read comic books, listened to heavy metal music on my ghetto blaster, dicked around on my Commodore 64 doing BASIC programming, watched old school Star Trek and Doctor Who, and basically killed time until I inherited a box of Playboys and discovered masturbation a year later.

Christ, that's pretty much my life now.
Old 04-07-17, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This happened about two hours from my family. My nephew, who works outside Marquette, told me this evening that the girl in question had falsely accused this boy of inappropriately touching her, and that she had given his cell phone number out to a bunch of her friends who were calling him up threatening him and stuff like that. Sounds like juvenile hijinks gone tragically awry with the help of modern technology.
Old 04-07-17, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

When I was 11, I didn't know what a love life was.
Old 04-07-17, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

When I was eleven, I was still a year away from even holding a girl's hand.
Old 04-08-17, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Kids grow up so fast these days. When I was 11, I was still a couple of years from thinking about suicide.
Old 04-08-17, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mrs. Danger View Post
When I was 11, I didn't know what a love life was.
I'm 41 and still don't
Old 04-09-17, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'm pretty sure I was still playing the first NES and didn't give a shit about girls.
Old 04-09-17, 01:03 AM

I'm glad social media wasn't around back in my younger days.

Kids are brutal these days, hiding behind their computers and thinking they're invincible.
Old 04-09-17, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by MLBFan24 View Post

Kids are brutal these days, hiding behind their computers and thinking they're invincible.
Many are killing themselves now. Facebook seems to be the highlight.
Old 04-09-17, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Bacon View Post
I'm 41 and still don't
You and I should go clubbing together. We'd clear them of women as if we'd sprayed a bottle of Liquid Ass around.
Hell, when I was 11, I was too busy playing soccer with my friends. I did notice girls, but not yet sexually. I don't know if they noticed me. I was a good-looking kid, but perhaps they weren't too keen on my bowl cut or shyness.
One time, around grade 5 or 6, I was waiting for my mom to pick me up after school. As I remember it, this cute girl from my class and I were hanging out inside this wooden fort-like structure on the playground (playgrounds back then were so much cooler than today's anodyne ones). I was too shy to make any moves, but looking back I wish I had whipped it out or at least proposed something to that effect. Timidity is one of the enemies of progress and happiness.
Old 04-09-17, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by MLBFan24 View Post

Well, kids are brutal in school too. But at least when you left school that day it was a break from all that. With social media though, kids are reminded of whatever's going on in school and with their classmates, all hours of the day.

So if a kid is getting bullied at school, he or she goes home, tries to relax, checks their Facebook and surprise, more bullying. It's like, no rest from it.

I'm really surprised that so many parents let their kids have, what seems like, unlimited access to the internet, as well as access to social media accounts.
Old 04-09-17, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I was about a year away from seeing boobs in real life, so pretty decent!

We have kids in elementary and middle school right now. We monitor their cell use and check their texts regularly. They know I'm smarter than them when it comes to technology so they know not to try and get stuff past me. My son didn't even want to sign up for Facebook when he turned 13 - kids today definitely aren't as into it as their parents.

This is a sad story but I do wonder if the parents could have been doing more to keep an eye on things.
Old 04-09-17, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That's a terrible story in the OP.

Social media and the internet does have the added troll nature of being bullied. It's like amplified bullying. I probably had it easy when I was a kid.

For anyone who bullied me as a kid ... thanks! It helped develop my cold, detached, self-deprecating wit. And you're probably just another egotistical asshole, working some sad job and begging for attention on Facebook. Riddled by guilt for every time you were a dick to someone.

Also: I was not bullied much as a kid. Just a handful of times where other people said things about me that made me feel like shit. Most people have been quite nice to me. At least the ones I give a shit about. Maybe lots of people talk about me behind my back? I never cared enough to care.
Old 04-09-17, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought most 11-year olds were banging their teachers?
Old 04-10-17, 03:58 PM
Cool New Member

I'm just glad i grew up in an era without social media. Social media just intensifies all the intense emotions you're feeling as a kid/teenager. Not a healthy mix.
Old 04-10-17, 05:29 PM

Hell, at 11, I was imagining the idyllic life of marrying a good, proper housewife who would cook, clean, and cater to my every whim, while I worked hard to bring home the bacon.

I quickly grew up and realized such mythical creatures once existed in a far-away world called "the 1950s" and never would I be so lucky...