Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

View Poll Results: Do you call back mystery numbers?
Yes always. What's up? 0 0%
Never. Leave a message if you want me. 49 90.74%
Sometimes 5 9.26%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-17-17, 08:08 PM   #1
DVD Talk Legend

Do you call back seemingly wrong numbers?

My phone number got spoofed. So some telemarketer or scammer is showing my number for their caller ID. I am getting 30 - 40 calls and texts a day from people who say they missed a call from me and asking what do I want.

If I get a call and no message I just assume it's a wrong number and leave it at that. I just got a call, then a text "who are you" texted them back "number got spoofed, ignore or block any calls from this number." Them; "but who are you?" I tell them. Them: "stop texting me, I don't know you." No shit idiot, that's what I've been trying to tell you.

I called Verizon but all they can do is offer me another number. I've been using this phone number for business for 10 years, really can't give it up.

Just surprised to see how many people call back numbers they don't recognize when no message was left. I usually don't.
Back in 1992 my job was to convince people they needed a cellphone. How things have changed. // 65" LG OLED B6P, Pioneer Elite vsx91, MX-450 remote, 253 DVD's, Samsung K8500 UHD 389 BR titles, 23 UHD4K titles, Toshiba A35 57 titles, Definitive Technologies speakers and supercube sub.// Still wanted on Hi-Def disc: Bugsy/Dragnet/PearlHarbor(Directors cut)/Timeline/Tin Cup/True Lies

Last edited by JimRochester; 03-17-17 at 08:20 PM.
Old 03-17-17, 08:19 PM   #2
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Do you call back seemingly wrong numbers?

Nope. Same with email. Never open it unless I know what it's about. Especially those emails I get about "your order from [insert store]."

My So-Called DVD Life (Profiler),A Fistful of Discs (DVDAf)
Old 03-17-17, 09:10 PM   #3
DVD Talk Hero

I have my phone set to no ring for Unknown numbers. I had a spam text problem once and set my phone to filter out messages from non contacts.

And no i don't call back unless i know who i am calling. I get enough spam calls as it is
Old 03-17-17, 09:39 PM   #4

I almost never answer an unknown number. The only time I do is if it is something like I am expecting a service person coming or of I'm waiting for a food delivery. They might be calling for directions or letting me know they are running late. This also would mean it was a local number as well.

Otherwise, I let it go to voicemail. If they don't leave one I google the number and see if it is a scammer number.
Old 03-17-17, 09:44 PM   #5
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomOpus View Post
Same with email. Never open it unless I know what it's about. Especially those emails I get about "your order from [insert store]."
You can open phishing mail. Just don't click on any links within.
"Another day, another dolour." -Me
Old 03-18-17, 12:26 AM   #6
Admin-Self Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB) View Post
I have my phone set to no ring for Unknown numbers. I had a spam text problem once and set my phone to filter out messages from non contacts.

And no i don't call back unless i know who i am calling. I get enough spam calls as it is

www.endgerrymandering.com
Gerrymandering in the US
Old 03-18-17, 01:22 AM   #7
DVD Talk Legend

I never call back mystery numbers. If you called me it's because I'm important, but you're not important enough for me to call you back.

I block any number that continues calling. But I do have anonymous calls blocked.
Old 03-18-17, 01:41 AM   #8
DVD Talk Legend

Hell no I don't call back wrong numbers! Frankly, I do my best not to call back known numbers either.

I hate talking on the phone.
Old 03-18-17, 06:11 AM   #9
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Nope. If you want...leave me a message.
Old 03-18-17, 07:22 AM   #10
DVD Talk Legend

I call back and give 'em the old Eddie Murphy Mister Robinson's Neighborhood shtick: "WHAT THE FUCK YOU WANT?" delivered at top volume. Wrong numbers only happen to me once.
Old 03-18-17, 07:30 AM   #11
kd5
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don't even answer the phone unless I recognize the number or if it looks like a legitimate local number (could be a customer although those calls have gotten scarce). Caller ID is good but it has its limitations with cell phones being the primary telephone of choice these days, they've yet to figure out how to ID cell phone numbers (or they just don't care to try). Sometimes I google the number to find out who it is, usually a telemarketer. Repeat telemarketer calls get added to the block list. Calling most of these back is useless as most of them are automated. I used to report the telemarketers to the National Do Not Call Registry but found that's largely a waste of time since nothing was ever done about it.

No, I don't call back wrong numbers, what's the point? To get your pound of flesh? Life's too short to worry about it.

My DVD/BD Collection
Old 03-18-17, 08:03 AM   #12
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic View Post
I never call back mystery numbers. If you called me it's because I'm important, but you're not important enough for me to call you back.

I block any number that continues calling. But I do have anonymous calls blocked.
I woke up this morning to a text on my phone from 3 AM. Justifiably pissed but I didn't do it. I have changed my VM message to reflect the problem.

How do I block anonymous numbers on an android phone? I can only find how to block specific numbers in my address book.
Back in 1992 my job was to convince people they needed a cellphone. How things have changed. // 65" LG OLED B6P, Pioneer Elite vsx91, MX-450 remote, 253 DVD's, Samsung K8500 UHD 389 BR titles, 23 UHD4K titles, Toshiba A35 57 titles, Definitive Technologies speakers and supercube sub.// Still wanted on Hi-Def disc: Bugsy/Dragnet/PearlHarbor(Directors cut)/Timeline/Tin Cup/True Lies
Old 03-18-17, 10:26 AM   #13
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I never answer from a number I don't know unless I'm expecting a call. They can leave a voicemail if it's important. If I get a second call from the same number and no voicemail, I block it.
Old 03-18-17, 11:45 AM   #14
DVD Talk Hero

Nope. I ignore unknown calls, texts, and e-mails.

-- Lucius Annaeus Seneca
Old 03-18-17, 02:03 PM   #15
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRochester View Post
I woke up this morning to a text on my phone from 3 AM. Justifiably pissed but I didn't do it. I have changed my VM message to reflect the problem.

How do I block anonymous numbers on an android phone? I can only find how to block specific numbers in my address book.
On mine I go to:

Phone > More > Settings > Call blocking > Block list > Block anonymous calls (on/off)

Also you should turn on "Do not disturb" and set it to where all your contacts (or whoever you choose) can only come through. That should be in: Sounds and vibrations > Do not disturb > Allow exceptions
Old 03-20-17, 07:27 AM   #16
DVD Talk Reviewer

I don't call back CORRECT numbers!
Old 03-20-17, 01:41 PM   #17
DVD Talk Legend

Definitely not.
Old 03-20-17, 01:55 PM   #18
DVD Talk Legend

I don't call back wrong numbers.

I don't answer if the call is from another area code. I do look up the numbers that I didn't answer, and they're almost always spam. That makes me feel better.
Old 03-22-17, 09:00 PM   #19

Nope. If someone calls and I don't recognize who it is, screw them. I'm not picking up the phone and wasting my time. Odds are it's a scammer.
Old 03-22-17, 09:43 PM   #20
DVD Talk Legend

Apparently you guys are the only ones that won't call back a mystery number. I am still getting at least 20 calls per day. I have changed my VM message alerting people to the scam and ignore the number but still getting a ton of texts too, "who is this?"
Old 03-22-17, 10:11 PM   #21
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRochester View Post
Apparently you guys are the only ones that won't call back a mystery number. I am still getting at least 20 calls per day. I have changed my VM message alerting people to the scam and ignore the number but still getting a ton of texts too, "who is this?"
Time to change your number.
Old 03-23-17, 06:00 AM   #22
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic View Post
Time to change your number.
I'm in outside sales. My number is how my customers get a hold of me. Verizon offered me that on the first day I called but I'm hoping this thing runs it's course.
Old 03-23-17, 10:38 AM   #23
DVD Talk Legend

I would occasionally until I realized it was always that slick talking prophet.

Doctor Who DVDs needed - The Web Planet, The War Games, Ghost Light.
Old 03-23-17, 10:42 AM   #24
Banned

I kept getting calls from a "drug company" wanting to refil a script I have, which I don't have lol. I finally blocked them but this is the number

(703) 291-9021
Old 03-23-17, 11:16 AM   #25
DVD Talk Ruler

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB) View Post
How is this done? What phone system do you have?

Best I can do is block callers that don't have caller ID but spammers have no problems getting around this.