Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics
View Poll Results: Do you call back mystery numbers?
Yes always. What's up?
0%
Never. Leave a message if you want me.
90.74%
Sometimes
9.26%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Do you call back seemingly wrong numbers?

Old 03-23-17, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Do you call back seemingly wrong numbers?

Originally Posted by Mouse man View Post
I kept getting calls from a "drug company" wanting to refil a script I have, which I don't have lol. I finally blocked them but this is the number

(703) 291-9021
Mrs Danger kept getting wrong number calls from a "drug company". They wouldn't leave her alone. She finally got annoyed enough that she placed an order. "How many?" they said. "The usual amount," she said. "Okay," they said, "That's 5,000 Oxycodone. Anything else?"
Old 03-23-17, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If it's a wrong number that means I don't know them. Why would I call back a stranger?
Old 03-23-17, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I've given up answering the phone. I let all calls roll over to voicemail. If you don't leave a message I won't be calling back.
Old 03-23-17, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't even answer the phone when it's people I know on most days. So no, never. If the # is already stored in my phone as a contact, 0% chance I will answer without hearing a message first.
Old 03-23-17, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't answer unknown calls, but sometimes I feel bad if someone leaves a message for someone else saying "Hey, we want to bring you in for an interview if you can just call us back!" But these days anything could be a scam.
Old 03-23-17, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

At this point I have changed my VM message to let people know about the spoofing and just to block or ignore my number if they see it. Most people now are just hanging up or leaving a thank you message. One guy today though said he didn't believe my hacking message and that I am never to call him again. If I do he will report me to the authorities. For him, I hope that scammer keeps calling him.
Old 03-23-17, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I had the same problem once and then one day, out of the blue, all the mysterious calls to strangers using my number stopped. Like you, people kept calling me back upset because "I" would call them multiple times. I had to block one lady's number who kept calling me, angry over my number harassing her.
Old 03-24-17, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

No call backs or answers to numbers I don't know if they don't leave a message. Don't they know who I think I am?
Old 03-26-17, 01:46 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I've never understood the whole "Googling the number" thing. Most people I know do this. They don't answer an unknown number, but then they just HAVE to know who it was. Who cares? If someone calls me and doesn't leave a message, then I don't give a shit who it was. I just swipe the missed call alert from my screen and don't think twice about it. If they keep calling and continue to leave no message, they get blocked.
Old 03-26-17, 02:22 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

I do that to numbers that either don't leave a message or say absolutely nothing when I answer, just to make sure that it was some scammer calling and not someone who wanted to hire me or anything else I might actually want. I used to say on my outgoing message "PLEASE don't just hang up without saying anything!" but most people ignored that and some complained that it took up too much time.
Old 03-26-17, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

My outgoing message alerting people to the problem has reduced the pissed off messages.

In fairness many of the people calling me back were people in business so they maybe thought I was trying to hire them. You know what though? I'm in sales and no message, no call back. If the number looks familiar but isn't in my phone, I may google to see if it's a customer. 9 times out of 10, if it was, they got the VM but were busy and figured they would call me later in the day. So I stopped that too.
Old 03-26-17, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Living Dead View Post
I've never understood the whole "Googling the number" thing. Most people I know do this. They don't answer an unknown number, but then they just HAVE to know who it was. Who cares? If someone calls me and doesn't leave a message, then I don't give a shit who it was. I just swipe the missed call alert from my screen and don't think twice about it. If they keep calling and continue to leave no message, they get blocked.
I am loosely involved in enough things that I occasionally get calls from people I don't really know, often with out of state area codes. I usually don't answer unless I'm actively doing something where I'm expecting such calls, so it's nice to know I'm blocking student loan scams as opposed the person who is coming to present a training session.
Old 03-26-17, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jason View Post
I am loosely involved in enough things that I occasionally get calls from people I don't really know, often with out of state area codes. I usually don't answer unless I'm actively doing something where I'm expecting such calls, so it's nice to know I'm blocking student loan scams as opposed the person who is coming to present a training session.
Wouldn't that person leave a message or send a text if they don't get an answer?
Old 03-26-17, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I called one wrong number back. Guy left a message thinking I was a an electrician who had done some electrical work on his hot tub earlier in the week and it was broken again. Sounded kinda dangerous so I called him to let him know he had the wrong number. He was grateful.
Old 03-26-17, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I do that because I'd like to know if the daller was something important, like a relative whose number I don't have, law enforcement, emergency services, or a hospital trying to contact me, a business I deal with, or just a do I know anyone from that area.
Old 03-26-17, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Exactly what we do. Although more & more scammers are using our local area code (808) to make call from.

Sometimes I to a search on google for the number that called. I usually get linked to 800notes.com & read comments from many other people getting the same calls from the same scammers.
Old 03-28-17, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

No reason to
Old 03-28-17, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JimRochester View Post

Just surprised to see how many people call back numbers they don't recognize when no message was left. I usually don't.
I agree, people drive me nuts. I have accidentally butt dialed people and they will call me back repeatedly to find out who I am and what I wanted.

My ass needed to say something to you, hold on.... FFFFFFFFFFFAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRTTTTTTTTTTT

I think some people are just lonely and need a friend.

I also cannot stand people that refuse to leave a message or send a text (friends included). They call and call and call and call 10 times in an hour, to then say something totally unimportant.

I am not answering because I am busy with real life, phones can wait, no one seems to get that.
Old 03-28-17, 10:23 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd