DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 03-04-17, 02:02 PM   #76
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Popular stuff you have no clue about.

^You should have hurled her phone into the ocean.
"Another day, another dolour." -Me
Old 03-04-17, 02:57 PM   #77
DVD Talk Legend

Sports. I really don't know much about the rules of most of them beyond the basics and truthfully I've never cared.

Also while I know some things about Instagram, Pinterest, Snapchat, Twitter, etc. I've never used them much. I have an account for each because of some contests I've entered that asked you to follow them there but don't really know what to do with them. I use Facebook but that's about it for social media for me and that's enough.
Old 03-05-17, 12:31 AM   #78
DVD Talk Limited Edition

3D printing
Old 03-05-17, 03:26 AM   #79
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm de Plume View Post
^You should have hurled her phone into the ocean.
x2.

My niece is 14, and if she did this while on *vacation* (ie, away from home, in an exotic place to which I was presumably paying her way, where she was supposed to "take in the sights"), I *would* hurl her phone into the ocean and tell her parents to never take her on vacation again, as the experience was wasted on her.

A hard lesson about life would be learned by her, and them.
Old 03-05-17, 08:52 AM   #80
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfoobar View Post
I'll assume you are genuinely interested in and try again.

Unless the DVD in question comes with a "free digital copy", you'll have to copy the movie (or TV show or whatever) into digital files that you can then just watch like any other video file on your computer. To do this, you'll need to "rip" it ("rip" just means extract the video of the movie on the DVD).

What you cannot do is just pop a DVD into your computer's DVD-ROM drive and copy a video file off of the DVD because of the copyright protection baked into most commercial DVDs. You'll need a piece of software (or a combination of two applications) that will first disable the copyright protection and then copy the movie into a video file. MakeMKV is one popular option, but there are several others. Once you've done that, all you need is a video viewing program (VLC is excellent and free) and you can watch it on your computer without the DVD itself.

Here's the problem. MakeMKV makes a full-sized copy of the movie. Without compressing it to a lower format (shrinking it down), a typical DVD movie is 5-7 GB (and a movie from a Blu Ray is more like 20-30 GB). If you have a huge media server with lots of disk space and plan on watching the movie on a 50" TV, keeping it at the original size may be worth it. However, if you want to rip movies so you can watch them on your iPad with a 64 GB or smaller storage capacity, it doesn't take very many 6 GB video files to take up all the space you have left. Plus, since the iPad or tablet screen is so small compared to that of a TV, there is no need for that extra data. So you compress them down to a lower bitrate and/or a lower resolution, which makes the movies much, much smaller.

That means you can have copies of your 20-30 favorite movies on your tablet instead of just 3 or 4 of them. Handbrake is one piece of software that can do this for you. There are also commercial apps that will do the whole process (copyright disable, rip, compress) for you in one fell swoop but they are a little more expensive.
Thanks for the clarification--although I'm still assuming quite a large frustration-to-success ratio if I attempted all that.
Old 03-05-17, 09:52 AM   #81
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantrobo View Post
Remy Ma/Nicki Minaj Feud. One Saturday my Facebook Newsfeed was blowing up with comments and memes about this feud. Apparently this goes back to 2007 and flamed up over the past week.
The only place I get this "news" from is Cypress Hill's posts. I can't believe the amount of shit they post that has nothing to do with the group. Just tell me about what's happening with the members, I don't care about the feuds and other nonsense.
Old 03-05-17, 11:05 AM   #82
DVD Talk Special Edition

Of course it's not a surprise that older people would see Snapchat as a way to send quickly vanishing nude pictures and nothing else.

The way it was explained to me by a teenager the other day is that teens these days have grown up with the idea that their entire life is being recorded, archived and shared. Snapchat allows them to chat and send silly photos and videos to friends without having to worry about whether it's going to come back and haunt them the next day, next year, or a decade later when they're looking for a job. And since a lot of celebrities use it for quick little ephemeral shots of their lives, it feels more personal.
Old 03-05-17, 11:43 AM   #83
DVD Talk Legend

Friend: have you watched Channel Zero? it's a creepy pasta show.

Me: ???

Me: ??? I have no idea what you are talking about. it's that like a cooking show or something?
Old 03-05-17, 11:44 AM   #84
DVD Talk Legend

Kik. I gather that it's another communication service, but why?
Old 03-05-17, 02:16 PM   #85
DVD Talk Legend

skyping, the kardashians, ecotourism, "clean eating", tire pressure monitors, the illuminati.
Old 03-05-17, 03:29 PM   #86
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Danger View Post
tire pressure monitors
you don't why? or how they work?
Old 03-05-17, 04:15 PM   #87
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul3 View Post

Me: ???
Me: No but when I grew up we had Channel Z and we were 100% cooler than your stupid ass.
Old 03-05-17, 05:45 PM   #88
DVD Talk Legend

Streaming. Especially since I prefer to rent rather than buy I really should figure it out. I tried when I got my BR player but it asked me to set up an account and that was 12 seconds I wasn't willing to invest yet.
Back in 1992 my job was to convince people they needed a cellphone. How things have changed. // 65" LG OLED B6P, Pioneer Elite vsx91, MX-450 remote, 263 DVD's, Samsung K8500 UHD 391 BR titles, 23 UHD4K titles, Toshiba A35 57 titles, Definitive Technologies speakers and supercube sub.// Still wanted on Hi-Def disc: Bugsy/Dragnet/PearlHarbor(Directors cut)/Timeline/Tin Cup/True Lies
Old 03-05-17, 06:10 PM   #89
DVD Talk Special Edition

YouTube celebrities. I enjoy shows like The Angry Video Game Nerd and Red Letter Media and things of that nature. What I don't get is the people who do nothing but blog about their life, or do unboxing videos that get half a million views.

Along with YouTube celebrities I'll never understand Chris Crocker. That's one annoying jackass whose 15 minutes of fame shouldn't have even lasted 1.5 minutes.
Old 03-05-17, 06:49 PM   #90
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul3 View Post
Ooo. I know this one!

Creepypasta is a collection of user-submitted article-length horror urban-legend-type stories. Lots of kids think they're fun to read and get scared about. They are usually accompanied by creepy altered pictures. Or they'll take old creepy pictures and use them out of context.

Channel Zero is a fictional show on SyFy. I think it's an unofficial adaptation. I haven't watched it buy will get around to it sometime.
Old 03-05-17, 06:55 PM   #91
DVD Talk Legend

I've accepted the transition to using smartphones all the time. If you're experiencing the communication, it really is the same as communicating "for real". I also consider you guys "real life". Though I don't need to to see you in "real life".

Younger people already accept it. Older people will slowly adapt. Or just be grumpy about it and then die someday.

I've only learned texting a few years ago. And Twitter a year ago. I remember how it felt to be detached from both. Never did MySpace. Don't use Facebook (this place is enough for me).
Old 03-05-17, 09:25 PM   #92
DVD Talk Hero

I hope some of you are confusing "I don't get the popularity of..." with "I have no clue about..." because are you seriously clueless about these things?

My So-Called DVD Life (Profiler),A Fistful of Discs (DVDAf)
Old 03-06-17, 09:46 AM   #93
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacon View Post
you don't why? or how they work?
Don't know how they work (can't be bothered to look it up) and can't imagine why someone would want them.
Old 03-06-17, 10:30 AM   #94
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Quote:
Don't know how they work (can't be bothered to look it up) and can't imagine why someone would want them.

Hopefully hubby has one of these handy...
Old 03-06-17, 11:02 AM   #95
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
I've had the low pressure indicator pop up after getting a small nail stuck in my tire. The tire itself didn't look much lower than the others, so I didn't notice just by walking to my car. It saved me the trouble of coming out of work to a total flat.
Old 03-06-17, 11:10 AM   #96
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It works great on my car, which has indicators for all 4 tires with the actual pressure on display. It's actually saved me multiple times from situations where I would have run it flat had I not known.

The indicator on my wife's car however, is crap. It only has one indicator to tell you low tire, and it doesn't tell you which tire or the actual pressure. Also the valve stems with the tire pressure monitoring sensors have broken multiple times, and they cost like $60 to replace. I got sick of replacing them and the last 2 I just put regular rubber valve stems on them, which means her TPM system doesn't work at all, and the light is on all the time.

-----
PSN: CactusKind
Old 03-08-17, 11:45 AM   #97
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The Fast and the Furious movies, I have only seen the first movie, but I don't know how they turned a one off movie that was a rip off of Point Break into the franchise it is today.
Old 03-08-17, 12:02 PM   #98
DVD Talk Hero

I had no idea what a Kardashian was until one of them married Kanye West, and I still kinda don't, just in general that she's some reality TV person who's somehow related to OJ's attorney and Bruce Jenner. That's literally ALL I know.
Old 03-08-17, 12:18 PM   #99
DVD Talk Legend

No, no, no. They took the high road to "Celebrity." A sex tape.
Old 03-08-17, 12:24 PM   #100
DVD Talk Hero

Never heard of a sex tape. See, that's how little I know.