Reload this Page >

Another self-disclosure: I sleep too much

Other Talk "Otterville"

Another self-disclosure: I sleep too much

Old 02-22-17, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 201 Posts
Re: Another self-disclosure: I sleep too much

Soda is a cheap drink. Plus it's got too much sugar which contributes to diabetes. It's very easy to kick the soda habit.

I think for you to get things on track is to start jogging. Start running.
Old 02-22-17, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I use to drink upwards of 4 liters of Diet Coke a day. I had so much that when I finally decided to quit, I just limited myself to a single drink a day so that I could get rid of my cache of pop. Took about 45 days, because I stock up.

I've never really looked back. Drink a gallon of water a day and maybe one soft drink a week.

If you aren't going to change, learn to be happy with who you are and be done with it. If you really want to change, you will. But it is hard. Nothing worse than thinking there is a ways to go before rock bottom.

But know that I think the world of you and want you to do/be whatever you really want.
Old 02-22-17, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 351 Likes on 259 Posts

Not sure why everyone is doubling down on the soda drinking when that is very very unlikely the cause of his over sleeping.
Old 02-22-17, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,710 Likes on 1,137 Posts

Originally Posted by kvrdave View Post
If you aren't going to change, learn to be happy with who you are and be done with it.
Pssh, easier said than done when 3D TVs are dwindling!!
Old 02-22-17, 08:36 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 522 Likes on 454 Posts

I know caffeine actually makes me sleepy. I don't regularly drink soda and if I do, it's diet, but my migraine ills have caffeine in them and when I take one, I yawn a little more than usually. Not at all knocked out or anything, but I know caffeine makes me a little drowsy.
Old 02-22-17, 09:28 PM
Suspended

Received 537 Likes on 254 Posts

Alan, it sounds like you are plain depressed. And like a lot of things, letting it go too far without getting help makes it worse. Sleeping a lot is one symptom; letting your house or apartment go uncleaned and chaotic is another. If you're not already on some kind of medication, you probably should be. If you have the money, hire a housecleaning service to come in and at least do your floors and bathroom and stuff like that. Just getting the place a little cleaner might make you feel good enough to actually get motivated to start cullling things.
Old 02-22-17, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 126 Likes on 97 Posts

I've been in that mode before (probably a few 2-3 month periods over 10 years). Luckily I naturally came out of them and never understood what happened in the first place. I just start sleeping 11-13 hours a day. The days get really short.

Depression? Burnout? I thought it might be burnout, in the sense that I would go for a year with staying up as much as possible. Still sleeping 6-8 hour a night. But then staying up as long as possible and losing my sleep schedule. I've also read about adrenal gland exhaustion. Too much coffee and sugar (including carbs) and your adrenals stop squirting adrenaline (natural energy) into your body. So you have to detox from that stuff until your adrenals start working again.

My suggestions:

1. Don't eat garbage food.

2. Find something to do to get you up in the morning. Whether it's exercise, or waking up, making breakfast, and watching some DVR.

3. Just go to bed. Don't try to squeeze every last minute out of the day. It's better to sleep well and wake up early and do what you thought you wanted to do by staying up late.
Old 02-22-17, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 282 Likes on 160 Posts

We have a lot in common besides the cluttered apartments. I also drink a lot of soda each day and I go though periods of sleeping way too much. Right now I am in such a period and I know that it is due to depression. The times when I sleep a normal amount are times when the cloud of depression is somewhat lifted.

However you say this is a regular part of your lifestyle whether you are depressed or not so I am not sure depression is the sole answer.. As others have stated, I think your diet might be a contributing factor.
Old 02-23-17, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by Hadrian7 View Post
Tl;dr version: reasons why I haven't cleaned? I sleep instead.

Originally Posted by Donald Trump View Post

My suggestions:

1. Don't eat garbage food.

2. Find something to do to get you up in the morning. Whether it's exercise, or waking up, making breakfast, and watching some DVR.

3. Just go to bed. Don't try to squeeze every last minute out of the day. It's better to sleep well and wake up early and do what you thought you wanted to do by staying up late.

4. Grab some pussy.
Old 02-23-17, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This article should be reassuring:

Prolonged Sleep May Be Early Warning Sign of Dementia

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/22/w...R4&recp=3&_r=0

Seriously, get some exercise. Start walking. go to the nice part of town, a park, a greenway, a trail and walk for 20 - 30 mins. Try to do this everyday. Eat better. It doesn't have to be a radical change in diet. Read about good sleep hygiene. https://sleepfoundation.org/sleep-topics/sleep-hygiene. Try to follow the recommendations. If you are depressed, seek help. Finally, clean your fucking apartment!
Old 02-23-17, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Could be you're depressed, but I agree with exercise suggestions. At the very least, get out and go for a walk instead of taking a nap. When you're sitting in your cluttered apartment and get tired, it's easy to just lay down and sleep. Get outside and do something. Unless you have narcolepsy or some other health problem, taking a walk is going to wake you up.
The messy apartment probably just contributes to your tiredness.
Old 02-23-17, 08:32 AM
Admin

Received 367 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by Nth Power View Post
Could be you're depressed, but I agree with exercise suggestions. At the very least, get out and go for a walk instead of taking a nap. When you're sitting in your cluttered apartment and get tired, it's easy to just lay down and sleep. Get outside and do something. Unless you have narcolepsy or some other health problem, taking a walk is going to wake you up.
The messy apartment probably just contributes to your tiredness.
I second walking. I walk for an hour every day. It's annoying to try to fit in the time every single day, but I've been sticking to this regimen for 2 years now and it's definitely improved my health. Walking around your neighborhood also helps you meet people. You never know what might happen if you strike up a conversation with people. Maybe others are just as pissed about 3D TV's going away.
Old 02-23-17, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 113 Likes on 92 Posts

Will this be another thread where Alan looks for advice but does absolutely nothing with it?

There are good, easy suggestions in this thread. Let us know when you try even one of them for longer than a couple of days.
Old 02-23-17, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 126 Likes on 97 Posts

In the past, when I'd eat mostly canned and processed food for stretches of time, I think that's also contributed towards that "dietary depression" feeling. I've gone there when I'm broke and it really screws me up. I need my coffee, fish burritos, salads, etc. with some real nutrients and whatever. If I eat some canned raviolis, ramen, etc. - it destroys me for the day. Pizza is another one that trashes me. Pancakes are another one. After eating that stuff, I might as well just give up for the day.

If you don't want to get out and walk or run (I'm an introvert and know the feeling), go get a couple 15 pound weights. That'll get your heart rate up a little. There is something magical that happens when you exercise just a little. It changes how you handle sugar and whatnot.

Also, there's "sad depression" (my life sucks!) and "dietary depression" (you just feel sleepy and unmotivated).
Old 02-23-17, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 89 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Vibiana View Post
If you have the money, hire a housecleaning service to come in and at least do your floors and bathroom and stuff like that.
How would they get to the floors?
Old 02-23-17, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 208 Likes on 159 Posts

I blew it yesterday- I fell asleep on the couch around 7 PM (I was going to go out and get some food, REAL food but slept til after the place closed), woke up around 11 and moved to the bed and woke up around 6. Going to get some breakfast now and not sure how awake I'll be the rest of the day. I'm definitely going to try cutting down on the soda; I'm craving it right now so I'll have one with breakfast but any other time when I'm just thirsty I'll settle for water or juice that I've got in the fridge. I'd like to find a SPECIFIC diet to try, at this point I'd do it as long as it wasn't something I find totally disgusting. At least if I had a specific list of things to avoid that might help. I already try to limit myself to ONE hamburger per week and also alternate days with chicken or anything else that isn't beef. I asked the doctors about diet but they had no clue, they didn't say anything about soda though and the evidence here shows I really should cut down on that. (I NEVER drink diet soda, it tastes awful and the stuff in that is worse than sugar.)

I've heard going for a walk helps wake up, but that hasn't been the case when I've tried that. When I'm REALLY tired I feel like I'm sleepwalking and am almost afraid I'm going to cross the street without seeing a car coming or something like that, so figure it's better to sleep in that case. I get tired outside of my apartment too- when I was going to school the past couple years, on days when I had time between classes I would go into the library and nap. On days when I only had one class, I'd sometimes even sleep in the library right afterwards rather than driving home, as the walk to the car was a bit far. If I took a nap in that case, I'd then be more ready to either do some homework there or go run errands and stuff. I can comfortably fall asleep almost anywhere as long as it's an "acceptable" place to sleep.

My dad keeps telling me to get on a "normal" schedule, but when I do that when working I still get tired by the end of the week and sleep through a lot of the weekend. I can still reasonably adapt to being up during normal business hours, but I'm naturally inclined to be awake at night, yesterday being an exception however.

Since Target is open right now, I'll stop by there and get the CoQ10 if they have it. Will of course also look through their media section but not buy anything
Old 02-23-17, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

So you're fine going to Target, walking around shopping and browsing without getting tired but can't make it to your car from the library?

Sounds more like depression. And yeah all that soda isn't helping. Sugar spikes and crashes are going to affect you.
Old 02-23-17, 10:41 AM

So you're fine going to Target, walking around shopping and browsing without getting tired but can't make it to your car from the library?
Totally different days I'm talking about. If I had gone to Target after class when I really felt like taking a nap, I'd be sleepwalking through the place. When I go shopping when I'm not really awake, I often forget to buy things that I meant to, and sometimes I've even bought things that I didn't even want- such as the meatless lasagna mentioned earlier, which happened because I didn't carefully read the package. Admittedly, I've also bought crap at thrift stores that I didn't really want whilst in that frame of mind- I avoid those places in that case nowadays.
Old 02-23-17, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee View Post
Totally different days I'm talking about. If I had gone to Target after class when I really felt like taking a nap, I'd be sleepwalking through the place. When I go shopping when I'm not really awake, I often forget to buy things that I meant to, and sometimes I've even bought things that I didn't even want- such as the meatless lasagna mentioned earlier, which happened because I didn't carefully read the package. Admittedly, I've also bought crap at thrift stores that I didn't really want whilst in that frame of mind- I avoid those places in that case nowadays.
Couldn't you just make a list and only buy things on the list?
Old 02-23-17, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Alan, have you ever gone to any type of counseling or therapy for any issues at all? If not I would definitely suggest looking into it. There is only so much that an online forum will be able to provide in terms of support and guidelines for you whether you choose to listen or not. And if your current physician knows nothing concerning diet and nutrition and how it can affect your health and mood I would seriously consider changing doctors as well.
Old 02-23-17, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Lots of good ideas being thrown around in this thread. I agree with eliminating soda, and getting exercise every day. The other thing that has worked for me was really concentrating on what I was eating. Making a conscious effort to eat smaller portions of the right foods, more often. That really helped with the after lunch crash. You mentioned doing a sleep study a few years ago. Perhaps it is time for another one. One thing that you didnt mention, was whether you have had blood work done to look for an explanation. May be worthwhile to talk to a doctor about it.
Old 02-23-17, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 490 Likes on 422 Posts

The only other thing I could think of without knowing more is a possible case of sleep apnea. The breathing obstruction some suffer from sleep apnea never lets their mind enter into necessary sleep cycles. While you are unconscious, your body doesn't get the proper rest and recharge. They always feels tired even after sleeping for more than eight hours.

A doctor would have to examine you for sleep apnea. The solution is a CPAP machine while you sleep.
Old 02-23-17, 03:42 PM
Admin

Originally Posted by uberjoe View Post
Maybe you're a cat.
Old 02-23-17, 03:43 PM
Admin

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
The only other thing I could think of without knowing more is a possible case of sleep apnea. The breathing obstruction some suffer from sleep apnea never lets their mind enter into necessary sleep cycles. While you are unconscious, your body doesn't get the proper rest and recharge. They always feels tired even after sleeping for more than eight hours.

A doctor would have to examine you for sleep apnea. The solution is a CPAP machine while you sleep.
He said that he already did a sleep study.

This thread is an attempt at an "otter study."
Old 02-23-17, 04:51 PM

I was tested for sleep apnea and they said I don't have it. EVERY attempt at medical help I've gotten for this has resulted in finding NOTHING wrong- one doctor even seemed to give up and said "Well, some people just require more sleep."

I got the CoQ10 this morning and took it. I still took a nap today but my sleeping schedule has still been pretty messed up so I'll have to see if that makes any difference in the long term. The stuff I got should last 30-60 days.

Not sure if I mentioned this but I CAN stay awake if my life absolutely depends on it, specifically I would never fall asleep at work. I know that would likely lead to an instant firing, so I can at least fake being awake in that case. I've gotten through work days by splashing cold water on my face. I'm not nuts enough to fall asleep while driving either, since that could be a complete disaster.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.