Anyone use an Instant Pot?

Old 01-11-18, 05:52 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 738 Likes on 526 Posts
Re: Anyone use an Instant Pot?

bump

Wife wants one of these.

Everyone still using their Instant Pot regularly? What's the best size to get?
Old 01-11-18, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 674 Likes on 483 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan View Post
bump

Wife wants one of these.

Everyone still using their Instant Pot regularly? What's the best size to get?
Bigger the better. Can always put less in it, can't put more in one too small. Use mine several times per month. Just made some chicken noodle soup.
Old 01-11-18, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 132 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
Bigger the better. Can always put less in it, can't put more in one too small. Use mine several times per month. Just made some chicken noodle soup.
This. I probably posted about it earlier in this thread but am too lazy to check. Filling it too full will cause a geiser. I had chicken broth hitting my ceiling in a futile attempt to make a larger than usual batch of broth.
Old 01-11-18, 07:28 PM

Received 360 Likes on 262 Posts

I used mine twice so far this week. A few days ago I made a dozen hardboiled eggs. When you use an Instant Pot, the shells come off easily. And I used it tonight to make Beef Stew. The stew was delicious and so simple. Here's the recipe:

2 lbs of Stew Beef
3 Carrots
2 Medium Potatoes
1 Onion
1 Can Tomato Soup + 1/2 Can of Water (or Beef Bouillon)
Salt & Pepper

Chop up the veggies and just dump everything into the pot. Set it for 35 minutes and let it slow release for 15 mins. It was ready in about an hour.

I recommend the 6-Qt model, which is the regular size that everyone seems to get. Although it depends on how much food you intend to make. If you're going to make large batches, then get the 8-Qt model. But I've never gotten near the Max Fill line on the 6-Qt.

Don't bother with anything smaller. It'll be too small.

Last edited by TheBigDave; 01-11-18 at 07:33 PM.
Old 01-11-18, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 466 Likes on 387 Posts

I had probably my first disappointing IP experience over the holidays. In the past, I've made a chocolate lava cake in the slow cooker, but I figured "Why get out the slow cooker when I have the IP right here?" So I followed the usual recipe: Prepare a box of cake batter mix and pour it in the bottom, prepare a box of pudding and pour it on the cake, then dump a bunch of chocolate chips on top of the pudding, and let it cook.

At the end of the cycle, I opened the pot, and it was all still liquidy on top, like the cake had never cooked. I replaced the lid and let it cook longer: Same result. I finally dug into the cake and discovered that the cake was cooked at the bottom, but the liquid top was the melted chips and probably some of the pudding. I think the difference was that my large slow cooker has a much wider pot. The narrower IP left all the melted chips covering the top, with no way to see the other food components (like the baked cake) underneath.

So in the end it was fine, but I was really confused along the way.
Old 01-11-18, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

Honestly not trying to be a jerk, but an “instant pot” is just s fast crock pot....corrrect?

I love to cook. Am s good cook. And probably have 4-5 crock pots of various sizes....taking away speed, is their an advantage of this instant pot?
Old 01-11-18, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
Honestly not trying to be a jerk, but an “instant pot” is just s fast crock pot....corrrect?

I love to cook. Am s good cook. And probably have 4-5 crock pots of various sizes....taking away speed, is their an advantage of this instant pot?
Electronic pressure cooker. Yes, you can look at it as a crock pot, buy it can do many things you can't do in crock pot.

Last edited by Deftones; 01-11-18 at 10:03 PM.
Old 01-11-18, 09:54 PM
Premium Member

Received 299 Likes on 209 Posts

"Instant Pot is a multi-cooker that does the job of a slow cooker, electric pressure cooker, rice cooker, steamer, yogurt maker, sauté/browning pan, and warming pot."

I'm not a yogurt person, so haven't tried that. It does a good job with the saute and browning.
Old 01-11-18, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 579 Likes on 409 Posts

Hard boiled eggs are awesome in it.

Yes, we have used it a few times a week since getting it right before the holidays.

Although, we are starting to have some issues getting it to seal lately and can’t figure out why. Seems as if I have to push down on the lid (after it is locked in place) for a moment. This caused a problem when I tried to do chicken and noodles. After finally getting it to seal, I kept getting “burn” messages. I found out it cooked the shit out of the bottom but wasn’t getting a seal to cook the rest.

We’re loving a “salt mine potato” recipe that is unbelievably easy and delicious: 6 cups of water, 1cup of salt, and 3 pounds of bite size potatoes. High pressure for 5 minutes with a slow release.

To us, the big advantages over a crock pot are speed with the same results and being able to cook meat from frozen.
Old 01-11-18, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 137 Likes on 74 Posts

The 6 Qt model on Amazon is $120...am I seeing/looking at the wrong one? Better deal?

Amazon Amazon
Old 01-12-18, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My wife uses both of hers quite often. She's a member of a plant-based diet site (she went vegan about 5 years ago) and they recommended Instant Pots. Wife uses them for recipes she gets there.

She's thinking about getting a new larger sized version (8 qts, I think) that came out not long ago, but she's waiting for reviews from other members. I think a larger size has been around for a while, but it doesn't do yogurt for some reason. If the new larger one gets good reviews and does yogurt, she intends to get one then take one of the 6 qt units to leave at the "vacation" house back east.

Here's how much my wife regards her Instant Pots. She's the type who hardly (meaning almost never) ever pays full price for anything and did get hers at a nice discount (if I remember correctly, she waited until they were on sale at Amazon for less than $90) during the holidays a couple of years ago. She's willing to pay full price for the newer large size.

As an aside to Abob, did you check the rubber (vinyl?) seals on the lids to see if they are properly set in place. Wife had a similar problem with getting hers to seal early on. This was shortly after they had been cleaned the first time. Couldn't figure out what the problem was. Finally decided to check everything against the manual and realized the seals hadn't been reinserted properly.

Last edited by Jon2; 01-12-18 at 12:09 AM.
Old 01-12-18, 05:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

It is fundamentally a pressure cooker. Raising internal pressure increases the boiling point of water, so things cook faster. Compared to normal boiling water, things cook in maybe 1/3 the time.

Crock pots cook at temperatures less than boiling water, so they take MUCH longer than simmering on the stove.

If you have 12 hours to cook a three hour stew, use a crock pot. If you have 1 hour, use an instant pot.

Disadvantages: It takes time to build up pressure or safely reduce it. You can't peek. It is inconvenient to stop cooking, release pressure to add ingredient, resume cooking. Due to time to build and release pressure, it doesn't really save time on things that cook quickly in boiling water, but it is "set and forget." The big time payoff is things that cook for hours in boiling water.

Advantages: The Instant Pot has a "saute" mode (top off) for browning meat, onions, etc, before starting to pressure cook. It also has a zero pressure mode where it functions as a crock pot. It has built in timer, keep warm mode, etc.
Old 01-12-18, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Chrisedge View Post
The 6 Qt model on Amazon is $120...am I seeing/looking at the wrong one? Better deal?

https://www.amazon.com/Instant-Pot-P...nt+pot+6+quart
Wait for better deal. These are routinely under $100
Old 01-12-18, 09:21 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Looks like the 8 Qt is hard to come by (ie: not on amazon or best buy or target or wherever), so I'll probably go with the 6 Qt.

$120 seems like an okay price, but if it does usually get lower, I can wait it out. Also, Thanks TheBigDave for that recipe. I'll try it out! On the first page, some folks mentioned making beans. I definitely have to try that, too.
Old 01-12-18, 09:31 AM

Received 898 Likes on 520 Posts

I made two racks of baby back ribs with a Dr. Pepper bath, then broiled with BBQ sauce afterward. It's pretty much my kids favorite meal now.
Old 01-12-18, 10:51 AM

Received 360 Likes on 262 Posts

When I cook hardboiled eggs in the Instant Pot, I'm actually steaming them. I put a cup of water in the bottom, and the eggs rest above in the steam basket.

I use the Saute function a lot when I cook with beef and/or onions. I'll brown them before adding the other ingredients.

Also, when I slow cook chicken, it always turns out mushy. That doesn't happen with the instant pot. Even though it falls off the bone, the meat is still firm. And if you want, you can brown the outside before cooking.
Old 01-12-18, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have one that is dented on the side. "regular" cooking worked on it, but is it still safe to pressure cook with given the dent in the outer metal 'shell'?
Old 01-12-18, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If making a chef salad and want boiled eggs, you can just crack the eggs into a glass bowl (don't mix) and put it in the cooker. Then you just need to cut up the eggs, instead of having to shell them after.
Old 01-12-18, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

man i really wanna join on this "Instant Pot" party. But i just spent $100 on a juicer
Old 01-12-18, 03:38 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

^ thank your lucky stars that it wasn't $400 for a Juicero!
Old 01-12-18, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by djbrown View Post
I have one that is dented on the side. "regular" cooking worked on it, but is it still safe to pressure cook with given the dent in the outer metal 'shell'?
I'm making chicken broth in a dented one right now. I can't vouch for yours, but my husband looked at mine and said the damage (from cramming it in the car during a move) was cosmetic. I didn't fully trust that, but he ran a trial batch of beans while I was gone and it's worked for a year without blowing up.
Old 01-12-18, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by tasha99 View Post
I'm making chicken broth in a dented one right now. I can't vouch for yours, but my husband looked at mine and said the damage (from cramming it in the car during a move) was cosmetic. I didn't fully trust that, but he ran a trial batch of beans while I was gone and it's worked for a year without blowing up.
thanks. Ours was dented due to cramming it into the cabinet, so sounds like similar "cosmetic" damage.
Old 01-12-18, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Jon2 View Post
As an aside to Abob, did you check the rubber (vinyl?) seals on the lids to see if they are properly set in place. Wife had a similar problem with getting hers to seal early on. This was shortly after they had been cleaned the first time. Couldn't figure out what the problem was. Finally decided to check everything against the manual and realized the seals hadn't been reinserted properly.
Dude, I’m a guy. It LOOKS fine.

(Quietly slinks over to find the manual.)
Old 01-14-18, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wow! I just made hard boiled eggs in mine, and they came out amazing because they're so easy to peel! This is revolutionary. Really. No more having to buy a ton of eggs a month early for Easter (and having to hide or mark them so no one cooks them "before their time.") As this is the same time that I have an entire beef brisket corning in the fridge for St. Patrick's day, it will be a real space saver.
Old 01-14-18, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

^ Thats the advantage to eggs. It takes about the same amount of time as boiling them (by the time the pressure builds and releases), but the shells just slide right off.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.