Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 08-10-17, 10:48 PM   #51
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Anyone use an Instant Pot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigDave View Post
Is everyone still in love with their Instant Pot? Or has it wound up in the closet of unused appliances?

I'm thinking of buying the Instant Pot Duo. I recently bought a large Aroma Rice Cooker, and I've been using the slow cooker function a lot. So I figure this would be fun to get.

Has anyone tried the Ceramic Non-Stick Inner Pot? I have a few ceramic pans, and I love that they're so easy to clean.

https://www.amazon.com/Instant-Pot-C...dp/B00ICL8M1I/
I don't use mine as often as most people, but I'm only semi employed right now. Lots of time to cook--I'll probably use it more once I get back to work. I do use mine to make stock. It takes about 90 minutes in the instant pot vs all day.

Someone mentioned simmering things on the stove. I'm doing that less and less, and starting to cook soups and stews in a dutch oven in my oven. I made Senate navy bean soup earlier this week that way, and it came out great. The advantage is you're much less likely to burn the bottom. I also make roux this way (Alton Brown's idea). Makes gumbo so much less involved--350 degrees and stir the roux every half hour until it's dark brown, keeping in mind that it's Cajun napalm, so stir carefully.
Old 08-10-17, 10:52 PM   #52
DVD Talk Hero

I love mine. Just making pinto beans alone makes it worthwhile for me. As folks mentioned here, it's WAY better than canned beans. I make stews in it sometimes and my wife has made some good pasta dishes as well. It also is useful for coking rice quickly, but not as good as a rice cooker -- I do like it for Indian style rices (or Mexican rices, presumably); dishes that require a moister rice.

GAME CENTER ID : DECKER 01

I haven't seen Evil Dead 2.....yet.
Old 08-11-17, 12:33 AM   #53
DVD Talk Legend

Is an Instant Pot a gateway appliance?
Old 08-11-17, 01:42 PM   #54
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!

Only if you input the right dialing sequences.

Dr Mabuse - You mock, but Sutherland got some fine young stuff off that kind of thing so don't sell it short.
Old 08-11-17, 01:46 PM   #55
DVD Talk Hero

I still use mine regularly, mostly for rices and sauces. I want to try hardboiled eggs.
Challenges: Action 2017 | Academy Award 2017 | TV on DVD* 2017 | Holiday 2016 | Comedy 2016 | Horror 2016 | Criterion 2016 | Animation 2016 | Sci-Fi 2016 | Historical 2016 | Make-Your-Own 2016 | Drive-In 2016 | Leap Day 2016
Old 08-11-17, 04:29 PM   #56
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Quote:
Is everyone still in love with their Instant Pot? Or has it wound up in the closet of unused appliances?
I'm still in love with mine; I use it multiple times a week during the winter. I'm also in love with grilled food, so the Weber gets just as much use when it's not freezing cold outside.
Old 08-11-17, 04:33 PM   #57
DVD Talk Hero

Hey, question : Do you guys do some sort of a pre-soak on your beans? I do a quick soak with a rinse because I read somewhere that you can get very gassy if you don't do that. My wife insists that it's pointless and the gas and bloating concerns are just mythology.

GAME CENTER ID : DECKER 01

I haven't seen Evil Dead 2.....yet.
Old 08-11-17, 05:14 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Hey, question : Do you guys do some sort of a pre-soak on your beans? I do a quick soak with a rinse because I read somewhere that you can get very gassy if you don't do that. My wife insists that it's pointless and the gas and bloating concerns are just mythology.
I was looking at a recipe for Baked Beans last night, and they recommend an overnight soak. I don't know about gas/bloating, but they said it gives better results. They posted a picture comparing the quick soak vs overnight soak:

https://www.pressurecookrecipes.com/...t-baked-beans/
Old 08-11-17, 07:04 PM   #59
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decker View Post
I've had beans prepared both ways and, from personal experience, it's anything but a myth.

Of course, YMMV.

As for the question that bumped the thread... my wife is still using her two Instant Pots. Both at the same, as often as not. Due to her diet (she went vegan), she prepares stuff (usually on a Sunday) to last her through the week, and she'll pull one out two or three times week to make some other dish or a special vegan yogurt.

When we visited San Diego for a month in the spring she took both of them. Every summer we visit the old home town for several weeks and space limitations (we drive) dictated she could only bring one. She's managed. Since we always end up taking back more stuff than we bring with us, I think I'll buy her another one just for here. I'll save about a cubic foot and a half of valuable truck space... that I need for the books and movies I manage to accrue.

Seriously though, I think she'd easily give up any other appliance before she'd let go of her Instant Pots.
Old 08-13-17, 05:27 AM   #60
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
I still use mine regularly, mostly for rices and sauces. I want to try hardboiled eggs.
Hardboiled eggs are great. Half a cup of water, however many eggs on a rack/trivet, 5 minutes at high pressure, 5 minutes of natural release then full manual release, and then an ice water bath for at least 4 minutes.

Eggs are ridiculously easy to peel and no green sulphur rings on the yolks.
Old 08-13-17, 12:10 PM   #61
DVD Talk Hero

I started using my sous vide for eggs, set the temp/preheat, toss in as many eggs as you want, and 13 - 45 minutes later (depending on temp you use) you have eggs that crack open perfectly poached. It's neat.

I was interested in getting on of these contraptions but haven't taken the plunge yet, does the outside surface get really hot?
Old 08-13-17, 02:13 PM   #62
DVD Talk Hero

No. The inner pot does, but the outer housing stays cool and safe.
Old 08-13-17, 02:25 PM   #63
DVD Talk Hero

cool my old slow cooker got super hot on the outside, alwaysh ated it for that.
Old 08-13-17, 02:26 PM   #64
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
I started using my sous vide for eggs, set the temp/preheat, toss in as many eggs as you want, and 13 - 45 minutes later (depending on temp you use) you have eggs that crack open perfectly poached. It's neat.

I was interested in getting on of these contraptions but haven't taken the plunge yet, does the outside surface get really hot?
Omg, I am so jealous. Sous vide is on my list of cooking techniques to learn, but I don't have the equipment yet.

I couldn't say on how hot the outside gets, as I haven't touched it. Never felt it was a hazard, though.
Old 08-13-17, 02:41 PM   #65
DVD Talk Hero

Anyone tried the mini (3 quarts)? I see families of 4 using the 6 quarts so that sounds mighty big for one person.
Old 08-13-17, 03:02 PM   #66
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
Rip off! Caveat emptor... My trusty 50 year-old Pressure cooker does just as well, and has no fumbling digital controls, nothing to "burn out" as the digital panel in that $180 concoction would surely do after 5 years of use and exposure to such high tempertures. The technical term is: delaminate. Then, you'd be stuck with a useless gadget for want of some $1 adhesive. "Planned" obsolesence, indeed! Those guys are marketing geniuses for all the wrong reasons!

The only thing I've ever replaced in all those many years of my Pressure cooker is the vacuum seal ring... for all of $5.
You're onto something with this. Low end or high end - I'm so sick of products letting me down. It's come to the point where I don't really enjoy buying stuff anymore. I don't care about what new gadget is out. I used to keep up on all of that stuff.

I haven't switched to a more basic lifestyle out of necessity. But because I've been disappointed in just about every gadget I purchase.
Old 08-14-17, 11:00 PM   #67

Just got my new Instant Pot Duo earlier today. Used a 40% Off coupon at Kohls and got it for $60.

I tried it out at dinner for a makeshift Beef Stroganoff. I threw in a package of stew beef, an onion, a can of Cream of Mushroom soup and a little red wine. Cooked it for about 12 minutes. Then stirred in some sour cream. Scooped it on to some white rice and it tasted great.

Can anyone recommend a good recipe site or cookbook for the Instant Pot. I'm looking for easy "semi-homemade" recipes. Stuff that uses as many shortcuts as possible (bottled sauces, packaged mixes, etc).
Old 08-14-17, 11:14 PM   #68
DVD Talk Hero

I got a couple cheap kindle books and have used the Laurel Randolph one a number of times to familiarize myself with the machine. I generally google because most of the big sites have Instant Pot recipes, but there have been a few I've browsed for ideas like This Old Gal.
Challenges: Action 2017 | Academy Award 2017 | TV on DVD* 2017 | Holiday 2016 | Comedy 2016 | Horror 2016 | Criterion 2016 | Animation 2016 | Sci-Fi 2016 | Historical 2016 | Make-Your-Own 2016 | Drive-In 2016 | Leap Day 2016
Old 08-16-17, 05:05 PM   #69
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Quote:
Can anyone recommend a good recipe site or cookbook for the Instant Pot. I'm looking for easy "semi-homemade" recipes. Stuff that uses as many shortcuts as possible (bottled sauces, packaged mixes, etc).
This one has never steered me wrong:

https://www.amazon.com/Great-Big-Pre...re+cooker+book
Old 08-16-17, 11:40 PM   #70
DVD Talk Legend

I still use mine regularly
probably going to start using it more

as for beans, I rinse mine before cooking just to wash them, I do not soak them
I mostly cook black beans, no problems with gas

Your body will get use to digesting beans better the more you eat them and the gas is less and less over time
This does depend on the type of bean, some are more gassy than others
Old 08-16-17, 11:54 PM   #71
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4KRG View Post
Your body will get use to digesting beans better the more you eat them and the gas is less and less over time
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooo
Old 08-23-17, 12:17 AM   #72

I love the way this thing cooks frozen food. I hate having to plan dinner a day or two in advance because the meat is frozen solid.

I put 2 pounds of frozen country-style pork ribs in the pot. Threw in some Dr Pepper and BBQ sauce. Within an hour it was done and the ribs were falling off the bone.
Old 08-23-17, 08:04 AM   #73
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
I love the way this thing cooks frozen food. I hate having to plan dinner a day or two in advance because the meat is frozen solid.

I put 2 pounds of frozen country-style pork ribs in the pot. Threw in some Dr Pepper and BBQ sauce. Within an hour it was done and the ribs were falling off the bone.
Just when I decided I didn't need one of these, now I want one again. Goddammit.
Old 08-23-17, 03:05 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
Just when I decided I didn't need one of these, now I want one again. Goddammit.
I know. I tried to talk myself out of it. But after watching recipe videos on Youtube, I had to buy it.

Another simple recipe using frozen food. I put a couple frozen Chicken Breasts in the pot. Added a packet of Taco Seasoning and a jar of Salsa. Also threw in a sliced Onion and Pepper. It was done in less than an hour. The chicken shredded apart easily. I ate it on some rice, and made chicken tacos with the leftovers.
Old 08-23-17, 03:33 PM   #75
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Used mine yesterday to make carnitas from a pork roast in 90 minutes, saving me 10 hours or so (then I fried the meat with seasonings to get some crispy edges). Today, making chicken broth from lots of leftover bones. Also, a 90 minute to 2 hour process instead of all day.