Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics
View Poll Results: Why do you live where you live?
Born here and never wanted to leave
14.12%
Work keeps me here
27.06%
Family keeps me here
30.59%
I live in paradise and will never leave for any reason
7.06%
I want to leave but can't afford to
4.71%
Other (I will post the reason)
16.47%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Why do you live where you live?

Old 02-01-17, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Why do you live where you live?

460 yelp reviews

https://www.yelp.com/biz/thousand-st...h-laguna-beach
Old 02-01-17, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Mostly because I have a desire for stability and consistency.

My mother moved me around a lot as a kid and the new schools/new friends/new everything resets got awfully frustrating after a while.

My last move was into my Grandma's house at 16. She was often the only stable person that I had in my life, so I decided that I was done moving. I bought the house when she passed away almost 3 years ago.

I'm in a good area of a relatively inexpensive suburb, it's safe and easy to get from place to place. I can't complain.

It's also close to my family. My wife's family is about 2 hours away, but in a really great vacation area, so visiting is always a good excuse to have fun.
Old 02-01-17, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by 4KRG View Post
I don't know what you're trying to say? Do you think 460 is a lot? (it's not)
Even still, you proved my point - look at the pictures posted in those reviews - they are a perfect representation of how UN-crowded it really is.
Also, this was just one example. You're trying to say things are crazy crowed here. And yes, some things are (like Disneyland), but the shit I care about really aren't (even though my commute sucks). There's not "zero" people here like where you live (which I think would boring), but it's not really anywhere near as crowded as you're making it out to be. Or maybe I just innately know how to avoid crowds here. I also avoid places like Venice, or whatever. Every town has it's tourist traps, and every local knows a dozen better, less crowded places.
Old 02-01-17, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by 4KRG
oh sorry, never been in that thread, it looked depressing
Yes, it can be, but there's also a lot of mutual support, which is nice.
That is too far for me if I want to get back into the mess of things to remind myself why I left (and I know I will once in a while, nice dinner, concert, something). I can handle the crowds for a fun outing once in a while, just tired of living in the mess full time.

I want to be no more than a 1 hour drive (without traffic) away from some type of medium sized city.
Ah, I see. I'm sure there are dozens of medium-sized American cities from which you can drive one hour and be utterly in the middle of nowhere. In which city do you live currently? (nm, I just noticed your reply in more recent posts)
In the spring/summer/fall, I actually don't mind the 3.5 hour drive to and from the cottage. In the summer, I/we return once every week or two, just to get the bills paid, mow the lawn, check on things at home, etc.
Originally Posted by nando820
I'm scared of going to that Thread.. but I feel you Norm. I have family members in similar situations
I appreciate the sentiment, nando, thank you, but I'm sure there are many people mentally worse off than me. I am not self-pitying, and seek no pity, just frustrated and largely lifeless. I am stable but lack mental energy to a crippling extent. Those close to me say I should just forget about trying to accomplish great things and accept my limitations, but it's ineffably exasperating to have the intellectual capacity for achievement, but not the mental.
I haven't been suicidal in years, so that counts for something! Part of that, I suppose, is my great fortune at being able to get out of the city and to the serenity, wildlife, and peaceful activities that are found in that beautiful natural setting at the cottage. To swim with the loons (fellow loons) and see deer and bears and foxes is wonderful.
Come on into the Depression thread and tell us about your family members, but only if you feel like it.
Anyway, apologies to all for the grievous digression.
Old 02-01-17, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Moved to Colorado 25 years ago because I love the mountains and everything about them. That hasn't changed and I don't plan on leaving.
Old 02-02-17, 02:18 AM

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
I'd be remiss if I didn't mention that this spot (among many others) is only about a 15 minute drive (or a very nice 45 minute bike ride) from my house.
I know the place (I promise not to tell), but living a 20 minute drive away doesn't do anything for me. I'm not anxious to remain to living in SoCal, or orange county. It just has become too crowded, too expensive, and too superficial for my liking. Born and raised in SoCal, but I'm old enough to remember how "good" things used to be compared to now, in terms of fewer people, more open space, when housing was affordable, before the great University of Chinese Immigrants is what it has become now. Things seem to have become so rushed and uptight... it just wasn't like this 30 years ago. I remember when Irvine had a population of, perhaps 15,000 and now it has mushroomed to 250,000+. No thanks!
Old 02-02-17, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't know what you're trying to say? Do you think 460 is a lot? (it's not)
Even still, you proved my point - look at the pictures posted in those reviews - they are a perfect representation of how UN-crowded it really is.
Also, this was just one example. You're trying to say things are crazy crowed here. And yes, some things are (like Disneyland), but the shit I care about really aren't (even though my commute sucks). There's not "zero" people here like where you live (which I think would boring), but it's not really anywhere near as crowded as you're making it out to be. Or maybe I just innately know how to avoid crowds here. I also avoid places like Venice, or whatever. Every town has it's tourist traps, and every local knows a dozen better, less crowded places.
It's on Yelp, it isn't a secret, that's all, I currently live with 6 million people and can be on the White House front lawn in 15 minutes without traffic. I want to live where there are zero people.

I took a trip to Great Exuma Island a couple years back, that was awesome. I literally had wide open in public view sex on beautiful picturesque beaches where I stayed for hours and never saw another person. I don't think you would be doing that at thousand steps..
Old 02-02-17, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
I know the place (I promise not to tell), but living a 20 minute drive away doesn't do anything for me. I'm not anxious to remain to living in SoCal, or orange county. It just has become too crowded, too expensive, and too superficial for my liking. Born and raised in SoCal, but I'm old enough to remember how "good" things used to be compared to now, in terms of fewer people, more open space, when housing was affordable, before the great University of Chinese Immigrants is what it has become now. Things seem to have become so rushed and uptight... it just wasn't like this 30 years ago. I remember when Irvine had a population of, perhaps 15,000 and now it has mushroomed to 250,000+. No thanks!
Hmm... interesting. Having lived in OC for most of my life (born in London, lived in NYC for a bit, but I've lived in various cities throughout OC since 1981; CDM, NPB, Orange, Tustin, Irvine), all I can say is that my experience is not yours. Sure, things have gotten more crowded, but not debilitatingly so, not yet.
Old 02-02-17, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Sounds nice, now add no snow and warmer weather and you might have me

I actually really like Canada (in July) and have always had a good time whenever I visited. Made friends that I still keep in touch with 15 + years later.

but cold, brrrrr, not my thing anymore
Yeah, I hear you about the cold and snow, the older I get the more I hate it! But I do like the seasons, and the oppressively hot summers in Florida made me crawl back to Canada with my tail between my legs.
Old 02-02-17, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Having been in Irvine for basically 30 of the 34 years of my life, I actually agree with most of this although the problems aren't so severe enough that make me want to leave Orange County. Although I doubt i'll buy property in Irvine.

When I was a kid there was much more farm land and orange trees, almost all of which have been replaced by apartments and houses. As much as I love how nicely maintained the city is, I hate how everything has to be so pristine and about looks, and that Irvine Company mandate seems to trickle down to a large portion of the population who only care about property values and strict HOA's.

On the flip side, the increase in population and wealth has brought it's perks, including more multi-cultural plazas, shops, and food. I also don't think the population is overwhelming, but I guess that's all about perspective.
Old 02-02-17, 06:41 PM

Hmm... interesting. Having lived in OC for most of my life (born in London, lived in NYC for a bit, but I've lived in various cities throughout OC since 1981; CDM, NPB, Orange, Tustin, Irvine), all I can say is that my experience is not yours. Sure, things have gotten more crowded, but not debilitatingly so, not yet.
Man, if you've lived in OC since '81, you should have remained in Newport or Corona Del mar while you had the chance of some affordable housing!

My regret is I couldn't purchase early enough to catch that last wave of affordability in coastal Orange county living, which happened in the late '70s - early '80s.

I do agree, population hasn't gotten so bad yet that it is unbearable (Irvine / Tustin / Santa Ana / Orange is a large area), but it's much too crowded for my liking and optimal comfort. All of those rabbit warrens which have popped up in Irvine (apartment "homes", etc), the HOA flight, the snootiness, extreme attention to superficiality, rub me the wrong way.

I'm on the border of Tustin / Irvine and much prefer Tustin to Irvine any day of the week. South OC might be good, but it'd have to be San Clemente or Dana point before I'd have a hope at being able to afford a home, even with selling my current house...
Old 02-02-17, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Man, if you've lived in OC since '81, you should have remained in Newport or Corona Del mar while you had the chance of some affordable housing!
Tell my dad that! (I was only 9 years old at the time)
Actually, it's his one big regret. We were renting a house in CDM that had a 180-degree panoramic view of the Newport bay, and we were given a chance to buy that house for $200K, but even though he could've easily afforded it, even just to rent it out, my dad passed, and we moved to Orange (my mom didn't like the humidity so close to the beach). Even adjusted for inflation, that's still less than half of what it's going for now, though it's been completely rebuilt.

My regret is I couldn't purchase early enough to catch that last wave of affordability in coastal Orange county living, which happened in the late '70s - early '80s.
I bought in 2002, thinking I paid too much, but it's less than half of what my house is worth now and it'll be paid off in just a couple years.

I'm on the border of Tustin / Irvine and much prefer Tustin to Irvine any day of the week.
LOL - I think we might be neighbors - I'm in the 714 part of Irvine, just north of the 5, near Culver/Irvine. I lived in Tustin before moving to Irvine, and when I was ready to buy, I just wanted a no-fuss newly built home. I'm glad I did, after hearing all the horror stories from friends having to constantly fix up their old homes (my house is getting there, but at least all the wear & tear is all my doing).

South OC might be good, but it'd have to be San Clemente or Dana point before I'd have a hope at being able to afford a home, even with selling my current house...
San Clemente's great, but it's just a bit too far down/away from friends/family for me. Don't really care for the rest of South County.
People like to disparage Irvine, but I actually love it's diversity, and the food! It's got more independent ethic food places, most of them great, than it does corporate/fast food places. For heavily populated suburbs, that's pretty freaking rare!

Last edited by slop101; 02-02-17 at 08:19 PM.
Old 02-03-17, 02:57 AM

People like to disparage Irvine, but I actually love it's diversity, and the food! It's got more independent ethic food places, most of them great, than it does corporate/fast food places. For heavily populated suburbs, that's pretty freaking rare!
The variety of food is great, I'm right with you, and some reasonably priced places, unlike Newport or Huntington or CDM...

I bought while I was still very young, in 1987... Even then it was expensive relative to other places in Calif except San Francisco. Glad I did, paid it off quickly. Sure the house has increased in value, but concomitant to other OC properties, and certainly hasn't kept up with the furious increase all along the coast! Sell and make a killing? Then move where? Certainly nowhere else in OC with housing prices so high right now.
Old 02-03-17, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Because I'm here. Duh!
Old 02-03-17, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mrs. Danger View Post
Because I'm here. Duh!
but are you there because that is the only place in the world you want to be? or are you there due to outside forces?
Old 02-04-17, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I was born here, and I'm a cowardly piece of shit who's too scared to go anywhere else.
Old 02-05-17, 01:21 PM

Born here, raised here. Spent 1988-1993 in boarding school located in North Georgia, but would come home during winter and summer break. Would like to move out west where the climate is drier due to allergies and chronic sinusitis. I stay because of being a homeowner and this is where my entire family is concentrated. I have a lot of memories here and even though I often entertain serious thoughts of leaving, I will likely live here the rest of my life.
Old 02-05-17, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Moved to So.Cal. from Minnesota in '96 and I've been here since. I still love it here, but I'd be open to moving to another place as long as there's no snow. I moved back to MN for a couple years in 2011 and really hated it. The winters are terrible.

The traffic and high cost of living here are the only really negatives for me, but they are pretty big ones. My last job was only 5 min away from home, now it's close to an hour commute which blows.
Old 02-06-17, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Nth Power View Post
Moved to So.Cal. from Minnesota in '96 and I've been here since. I still love it here, but I'd be open to moving to another place as long as there's no snow. I moved back to MN for a couple years in 2011 and really hated it. The winters are terrible.

The traffic and high cost of living here are the only really negatives for me, but they are pretty big ones. My last job was only 5 min away from home, now it's close to an hour commute which blows.
Yes, I am done with traffic. I think Northern VA is worse than SoCal these days. If I didn't walk to work these days, I think I would have lost my mind sitting for hours in traffic to go a few miles.

The good news is most smaller cities will feel like no traffic at all to me
Old 02-07-17, 08:25 AM
Admin-Thanos

I was born in NYC and lived there until I was 29. I had gotten tired of the rat race and the weather in NY and I had always loved visiting my family in FL when I was younger, so I took the leap and moved to Tampa with no job. My life has been infinitely better since I moved. I really enjoy the weather even to this day. Summers are ball sweaty hot, but watching huge T-Storms develop never gets old for me. It's our mountains. The cost of living is so much better here compared to NY. Traffic is shitty here, but it's nothing compared to NY. Not to dump on NYC. It's a great city and I'm proud of a lot of the things NY-ers can accomplish, but for me, this is the place. I have a very stable job and I'm well compensated. I'm happy.
Old 02-07-17, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Vin - nice, that is what I am hoping for

I actually like Tampa, that is still on my short list too (I will ignore that it is in FL). Ball Schweaty hot summers are more appealing than shoveling snow to me and then having more enjoyabole weather in December makes up for it. I have employees in Orlando and this time of year they always start out their conversations with - well it's 80F here, how are you doing bastards! (but I dislike Orlando, would never consider living there for any reason)
Old 02-07-17, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Upscale town in the Chicago 'burbs. Eh, it's fine.

Upsides:
1. Not too expensive.
2. Good schools.
3. Well maintained and parks and public facilities.
4. Good shopping and restaurants. The options are comprehensive.
5. Lots of friends for my kids, lots of people for my wife to play tennis with, lots of people for me to ride bikes and drink beer with. People in general are nice.
6. It's easy to fly anywhere in the world from Chicago.
7. The job market's fine here.

Downsides:
1. Crushing tax burden. Seriously, it's ridiculous.
2. Still not exactly cheap.
3. Suburban ennui is a real thing.
4. Most people who live here grew up here. Suburban monoculture is a real thing.
5. Weather isn't exactly the best
6. The cycling isn't exactly the best
Old 02-07-17, 03:06 PM
Admin-Thanos

Vin - nice, that is what I am hoping for

I actually like Tampa, that is still on my short list too (I will ignore that it is in FL). Ball Schweaty hot summers are more appealing than shoveling snow to me and then having more enjoyabole weather in December makes up for it. I have employees in Orlando and this time of year they always start out their conversations with - well it's 80F here, how are you doing bastards! (but I dislike Orlando, would never consider living there for any reason)
Tampa is a melting pot of most of the country. I'd say the majority seems to skew to midwesterners moving down here the most (MN, WI, MI, down to the KS, MO area), then easterners (Mass-VA), then the smallest group of ex-Pats being Western US people. Most everybody here is from somewhere else, so if you're new here, it's no big deal and everybody else can relate to your situation since we're all from elsewhere as well. I drive all over the state for business and I can't think of an area that I like more than Tampa. It's got enough big city stuff so that you won't get bored (Plenty of major sports), but it's not as crammed and insane as South FL. You get about 7-8 months of summer and 2 months of fall and 2 months of spring. And you mentioned Orlando... it's not as tourist crazed as Orlando which is nice. Plus there are beaches here. I really have everything I need in a metro area (well except public transportation I guess).
Old 02-07-17, 10:04 PM

I live in So Cal , and I can not stand it, I was born here and Los Angeles has turned into a piece of crap. I am here because my mom is here.
Old 04-24-17, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

giving this thread a bump

So family wins (at least for me) I just signed a contract to sell my house yesterday, I am considering it a done deal, very little chance anything will fall through with it (but it is still contingent on a home inspection).

I have already purchased a house (done deal, no contingents left, closing date is in 5 weeks) about 800 miles from where I currently live, but within a one hour drive of most of my wife's family.

Exciting times ahead

Now for the really hard part, moving the rest of my stuff I have thrown out or donated a ton of things in the last 3-4 months, so the load will be lighter than I first thought.

Hoping for a slower pace of life, a little more family contact and warmer weather (moving south)

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.