Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics
View Poll Results: How often do you upgrade to a newer phone?
Once a year
9.62%
Twice a year
0%
Once every two years
34.62%
Once every three years
55.77%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

How often do you upgrade to a newer phone?

Old 01-18-17, 04:00 PM

Re: How often do you upgrade to a newer phone?

Every couple of years. Right now I have a 2nd gen Motorola Moto G, but it's starting to get sluggish and the battery life is declining, so I'll probably get something else once I get around to it.
Old 01-18-17, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I used to upgrade every time I was eligible, but not this time. I want to keep my cell phone bill down so I'm gonna stick with my shitty IPhone for as long as I can. I guess as I am getting older and don't really care anymore.
Old 01-18-17, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Deadman31 View Post
I used to upgrade every time I was eligible, but not this time. I want to keep my cell phone bill down so I'm gonna stick with my shitty IPhone for as long as I can. I guess as I am getting older and don't really care anymore.
This. In the past I took my two year upgrade because the bill didn't go down if I didn't so why not. Plus I could sell the old phone or give it to a relative. Now I wait for three or four years. Less for Android and longer for iPhones because of the software updates.
Old 01-18-17, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I've only had a cell phone since 2007, and in these 10 years I've only had 3 phones; a motorola flip-phone > a blackberry > a galaxy S5 (my current phone).

I only get new shit if/when my old one breaks - I'm not into getting new tech just for the sake of it.
Old 01-19-17, 02:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
They do have their place, but are so often used and abused, and have become almost a mania (or, addiction) to many. I'd wager to say that most Millenials would rather give up their shelter for a week than give up their phones for a week.

Mobile phones, specifically smartphones, just have no place in either my "wants list" or my "needs list" in 2017.

Regular landline phone at $4.32 a month suits me well. It is just fine, not luxurious, mind you. Those who pay outrageous sums every month to "keep up" are feeding the fat cats who run the cellphone companies.
OR.... they get more use of them than you do

Pokémon - main form of exercise, about 30 miles a week of walking, lost 32 lbs so far.

MyFitnessPal - food logging.

SiriusXM - for those 30 miles a week of walking.

Weather app - so that I know when to walk the pupster.

Calendar - so that husband and I are synchronized.

Financial apps - check transactions, make transfers, pay bills.

Gym apps - check what classes are going on that day.

Sheets - keep our budget up to date and synchronized.

Maps - use it almost daily to drive somewhere.

Alexa app - check when my husband set the alarm to wake up that morning for breakfast (I work nights and he has a flexible wake up time) and see what errands I can do before heading home for breakfast.

Mapmywalk - for those time when I forget to charge the triathlon gps watch and it dies on me.

Fitbit app - check all kinds of info on calories burned, used with MyFitnessPal.

I use the calculator quite a bit. Certainly every day.

Regal Cinemas and AMC theaters - check listings.

Entertainment book app - pops up notifications if there's a coupon available at the establishment I'm at. Show the screen, get the discount.

Groupon - no need to print Groupons anymore, show the screen.

YouMail - great voicemail alternative. I always used to miss vms. Haven't missed one since I got YouMail. Get an email whenever I get a voicemail.

My schoolwork digital book app so that I can read my textbooks.

I watch Netflix now and then when getting the oil changed, waiting, etc.

Texts - notifications such as time until the aaa guy gets there (have you noticed how it's always a guy?), that Amazon delivered a package (they never ring the bell) so that I can go retrieve, a communication device for husband and family, take pictures, video, record memos, etc.

I use my phone more than anything else in my life, including my car.
That's just the surface of it.
Old 01-19-17, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by GatorDeb View Post
OR.... they get more use of them than you do

Bingo!

If you have a ton of friends and you're out doing shit and/or traveling, a smart phone is indispensable.

Back when I was a teen, a bike then a car were things that gave me a my first true sense of freedom. Today, most kids, if given a choice, would take a smartphone over a car, as that is the thing that gives them more freedom than anything else.
Old 01-19-17, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Smart phones were fantastic when I was in Europe to get around and find things to do and places to eat. And for a lot of people, including myself, a smart phone is required for work.

But really, zyzzle going to zyzzle.
Old 01-19-17, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I Keep mine until they break - I'm pretty rough with my phones but they still usually last me a while. I'm waiting for the next set of windows phones to come out as well.
Old 01-19-17, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Regular landline phone at $4.32 a month suits me well. It is just fine, not luxurious, mind you. Those who pay outrageous sums every month to "keep up" are feeding the fat cats who run the cellphone companies.
As long as you don't leave your house.

Hopefully you'll never find yourself in a situation where you need to call 9-1-1 away from home and a loved one's life is in danger.
Old 01-19-17, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, and like I posted earlier, I was a way late cell-phone adopter, as people could reach me at home or at work, and if I wasn't at either place, I'd be out busy, and they could leave a message I would get back to them quickly enough.

But I've come to find texting to be necessary - sometimes you just need quick info ("see you there at 8:00" or "pick up X"), to which you can reply when you want, without having to go through the rigamarole of a protracted phone call, exchanging pleasantries, etc.
Old 01-19-17, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!

Yeah, as far as actually needing a smartphone most people probably don't. I'm IT though, so I need not only to be in touch but also able to remote in and fix stuff from my phone, not to mention be familiar with all the ins and outs so I can assist users with their pinterest and crap.
Old 01-19-17, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

used to be 2 but now its 3 or 4+
Old 01-19-17, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
But I've come to find texting to be necessary - sometimes you just need quick info ("see you there at 8:00" or "pick up X"), to which you can reply when you want, without having to go through the rigamarole of a protracted phone call, exchanging pleasantries, etc.
I wish you could talk to one of my friends. He's around my age (mid 40s) and is a really nice guy... but he calls for everything. My GF and I are like "it's 2017... doesn't he know about text messages??" And he just can't call and say "hey, I'm having a computer problem... can you come over around 8PM to look at it?" Nope, it's more like this:

Friend: "Heeeeyy Rex! What's up?"

Me: "Just working. What 'cha need?"

Friend: "Oh, I'm sorry man. It's just that last night I was using my laptop and [insert 4 minute explanation of what happened here]. I was hoping that..."

Me: "Dude, I'm working. I'm on hold with one client's Exchange provider, and have a remote session open for second client in Raleigh and a third in Charlotte."

Friend: "Oh. Well, sorry. I won't keep you, man. I was just hoping you could come by tonight, but [insert 4 minute explanation about how he has to pick up his kid and run errands and mop the floors, and...].

Me: "Dude, I hate to be rude, but I'M WORKING. Can you text me later?"

Friend: "Nah, I'll just call ya. I've got to [recap of all the errands he just mentioned], but I'll call ya when I get back.

Me: "OK, thanks."
Since it's always a 15 minute call with him, I rarely answer. But since I don't want to be "too rude", I figure I have to answer every 4th or 5th call.

It's just weird that my dad (who is almost 70) and I text several times a week, but this guy seems... allergic to text messages. So bizarre.
Old 01-19-17, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

That is annoying, and exactly why you need to text.
I know a couple people like that, and when I see them calling, I let it go straight to voice-mail, and if they don't leave a message, I guess it wasn't important - if they do, I just text back.

As far as not having a cell at all, I cannot for the life of me imagine being in a relationship, be it just boyfriend/girlfriend, but especially married and not having a cell phone. It's as much a requirement in a relationship as genitals are, maybe more!
Old 01-19-17, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
It's as much a requirement in a relationship as genitals are, maybe more!
Well they do make 6" phones now so I guess it's a way to compensate.

Most of my life's relationships occurred in the non cell phone era. While a cell phone is handy, I don't see it as a requirement, especially in cases where I can avoid the "gf texted me 40 times today because she's really big on communicating".
Old 01-20-17, 02:01 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I still have the galaxy s2 I bought in 2011. It was my first smart phone. Before that I had a flip phone that lasted 10 years. I never update unless I have to.
Old 01-20-17, 04:18 PM

Sure, some of the above comments have merit, but most are hilarious... C'mon, you guys are telling me I can't function *without* a cell phone? I think I function *better* by not having the constant distraction that having one would entail. The "always on" mentality has become a national mental health issue.

If an emergency arises with a loved one (I've had *two* in over 30 years of being in a situation where I was called on to make a difference!), I'll simply stop that ubiquitous, nice stranger who does have a phone and state that I've an emergency and need to dial 9-1-1!

Texting is "convenient", even necessary for some professions, I absolutely admit, but it's just not something I get excited over. When I need to get ahold of someone, I call by voice... If it's just banter as most text messages are, I don't bother. It's not that important.

Sure I'm the 1 out of 1000 who doesn't have a smartphone, but it works for me. At the possible inconvenience of other cellphone aficionados. Not having one means less background noise in my life, and I'm not going to apologize for that!

/end rant
Old 01-20-17, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

/end rant
Not to mention, you can build your own smartphone for just 1/5 the cost!
Old 01-20-17, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I can't function *without* a cell phone?
"Can't function" is a bit extreme. But I like having one small device in my pocket that has a camera, a GPS (far easier to use and much more informative than a standalone GPS), 30 million songs via Spotify, tons of games, local radio (via NextRadio), national and international radio (via TuneIn), access to the latest "mainstream" news (via MSN News) or "breaking" news (via Twitter), ATM (for deposits), voice recorder and notepad. That's not including other handy apps like the Publix app (no waiting in line at the deli for a sub!), Amazon (order stuff you'll need for work... while in the passenger seat... on the interstate!), Key Ring (which stores all my store loyalty cards so I don't have to clog my keyring with them) and TWCTV, which not only lets me watch TV, it lets me add\remove recordings from the DVR. You might not think this is a big deal but once you have this ability it comes up ALL THE TIME. Like, sometimes some social event will run long, so I can set the DVR to record the start of a football game I want to see. Or we'll go out with friends and someone will say "you should check out [some show]". A few taps, and it's done.

If an emergency arises with a loved one (I've had *two* in over 30 years of being in a situation where I was called on to make a difference!), I'll simply stop that ubiquitous, nice stranger who does have a phone and state that I've an emergency and need to dial 9-1-1!
You're free to do that. I won't leave the house without a phone, even if I'm just going to the gas station 600 yards down the road.

Feel free to be this guy. The rest of us have moved on.

When I need to get ahold of someone, I call by voice...
And, as you've learned from this thread, most of us aren't gonna pick up. If you can't be bothered to text "hey, while you're at the store would you get some milk" I'm not gonna bother to get any.

If it's just banter as most text messages are, I don't bother. It's not that important.
I text with friends and family, and yes, 90% of the time it's just "banter". But ever since my dad got a smartphone we text several times a week. Before that, we spoke a handful of times a year. Some people would see value in texting with a loved one, even if it's just "no way that was pass interference!!". Maybe you don't. It's a free country. But when it comes to texts with my GF, they're all usually "important". She doesn't know if I'm meeting with a client. I don't know if her boss is at her desk. So instead of interrupting with a phone call you can send a handy message like "can you get some pretzels at the store?" or "Stopping at CVS to pick up scripts, I'll prob. be late getting home". Shit like that. It's handy. It's life-changing. Like, I can't imagine meeting someone in public (like at a concert or football game) without texting.

I'm not going to apologize for that!
Well, we're only expecting 1/5 of an apology anyway, so....
Old 01-21-17, 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by Rex Fenestrarum View Post

Well, we're only expecting 1/5 of an apology anyway, so....

And I'll meet your 1/5, even if it takes 5x the moxie to admit that your points are indeed quite valid.

I'll 'upgrade' my trusty landline if, and when:

1 It becomes mandatory for my profession
2 It becomes mandatory for National security reasons (rather an oxymoron, as I'd feel a smartphone will decrease my privacy and increase the chances of my identity being stolen / hacked / broadcast).
3. The cost becomes free, or, at worse 1/5 of what the robbery is right now in the USA. Or better, when I'm actually PAID to upgrade.

Until then it'll still remain quite a hard sale. Yes, I'm a smartphone luddite, I freely and unabashedly admit.
Old 01-21-17, 06:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Smart phones are one of those you don't need until you get one. Only after you get one do you need it. People who've never had a smart phone don't need them because they've never had one.

If a person with a smart phone finds it difficult to interact with those who do not, they are the one with the problem. They are the ones who can't function without the help of a device that others can function just as well without.

It's like when you're 15 and know how to get anywhere you want to go without a car. Once you get your own car you don't know how to get anywhere without one.
Old 01-21-17, 06:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I've been going every two years but not because I have to have the latest phone. After a couple years the phones has slowed down and the battery won't last as long. Now that batteries can't be swapped out it's tough to get more than 2 - 3 years out of them.
Old 01-21-17, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'll 'upgrade' my trusty landline if, and when:
The thing is, a landline & a smart phone are not even in the same universe of comparable devices. I use my phone for almost everything BUT talking on the phone.

Plus I don't know what service you have but back when I had a landline, the base price was about $16 but when you all the fees etc, it was about $60. And it was nothing but an invitation to telemarketers into my home. I'm amazed going to my parents home & the phone rings non stop with people trying to sell them stuff.

As someone else said, I only upgrade when my current phone can't do something I want to do. I don't get the people who MUST have a new device the day it comes out, even if it's only incrementally better than the one they own.
Old 01-21-17, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by Eddie W View Post
And it was nothing but an invitation to telemarketers into my home. I'm amazed going to my parents home & the phone rings non stop with people trying to sell them stuff.
I haven't had a landline for about a decade or so. I rarely get telemarketing calls. But when I go to my parents house (they still have a landline), it's not exaggerating to say that they get anywhere from 6 to 10 calls every couple of hours from telemarketers. I keep telling them to ditch the landline, or at the very least to change their number, but they won't. The constant ringing drives me nuts.
Old 01-21-17, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Living Dead View Post
I haven't had a landline for about a decade or so. I rarely get telemarketing calls. But when I go to my parents house (they still have a landline), it's not exaggerating to say that they get anywhere from 6 to 10 calls every couple of hours from telemarketers. I keep telling them to ditch the landline, or at the very least to change their number, but they won't. The constant ringing drives me nuts.
When we moved mom into the nursing home we hooked up a phone for her. She really can't dial out any more but she wanted it for incoming. I would go in and every time there were 10 telemarketing calls for every personal call. We finally just disconnected it. When we go to visit, we'll call who she wants to talk to right then and there. The sad fact of the matter is almost all of her circle has passed away or moved away.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.