DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 01-03-17, 12:28 AM   #101
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: kvrdave needs a 2017 weight loss thread. Here it is for him and everyone else.

I've been sick for about 3 weeks (nasty cold, sinus infection, fever), affecting my appetite for about the last week. No beer and a lot less food mean I'm already down about 5-6 lbs. I don't want to start my weigh-in, there, so I'll weigh in and start when I'm better.

What a shitty way to spend the holidays...
Old 01-03-17, 06:21 AM   #102
DVD Talk Legend

Re: kvrdave needs a 2017 weight loss thread. Here it is for him and everyone else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andicus View Post
I've been sick for about 3 weeks (nasty cold, sinus infection, fever), affecting my appetite for about the last week. No beer and a lot less food mean I'm already down about 5-6 lbs. I don't want to start my weigh-in, there, so I'll weigh in and start when I'm better.

What a shitty way to spend the holidays...
Been there, both myself and the kids. I remember my son getting sick on Christmas Eve 2 years in a row.

My first weigh in did not go well. I feel better, less bloated but my weight was 200 even. 5 - 7 more than I thought it would be. We did go to a neighbors on Friday and some wings on Saturday so the two-fer probably hit me for several pounds. I have my follow up appointment with the Dr. on the 11th. My goal is to be down at least 5.
Back in 1992 my job was to convince people they needed a cellphone. How things have changed. // 65" LG OLED B6P, Pioneer Elite vsx91, MX-450 remote, 263 DVD's, Samsung K8500 UHD 391 BR titles, 23 UHD4K titles, Toshiba A35 57 titles, Definitive Technologies speakers and supercube sub.// Still wanted on Hi-Def disc: Bugsy/Dragnet/PearlHarbor(Directors cut)/Timeline/Tin Cup/True Lies
Old 01-03-17, 10:27 AM   #103
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRochester View Post
Been there, both myself and the kids. I remember my son getting sick on Christmas Eve 2 years in a row.

My first weigh in did not go well. I feel better, less bloated but my weight was 200 even. 5 - 7 more than I thought it would be. We did go to a neighbors on Friday and some wings on Saturday so the two-fer probably hit me for several pounds. I have my follow up appointment with the Dr. on the 11th. My goal is to be down at least 5.
Yeah, it sucks. Seems to have gotten at least six relatives, including my wife. We knew my sis-in-law and her son were sick, so should've avoided visiting them as they are not at all conscientious about spreading germs. HUGE regret.

The wings alone can have a big effect, as they're so high in sodium, you've probably got some water weight as a result.
Old 01-03-17, 11:18 AM   #104
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
My reaction to this sentence in real time:

Oh, man. Excuses not to exercise. Been there! But you've got to overcome those excuses!

Wait, that's different! I remember when I had a house and a driveway, I never got more exercise than when it snowed. Shoveling is intense! It's like cardio and resistance exercise all in one. As long as it took at least half an hour to get that driveway clean, you got plenty of exercise with that snow shovel!

Sad trumpets.wav
I did get on the rowing machine for 30 minutes today, at least.

I'm only doing cardio and no weights for a few weeks. Need to get the cardio jump started and then I'll move the weights back in.
“The illegality of cannabis is outrageous, an impediment to full utilization of a drug which helps produce the serenity and insight, sensitivity and fellowship so desperately needed in this increasingly mad and dangerous world.”

― Carl Sagan
Old 01-03-17, 11:34 AM   #105
DVD Talk Legend

I gained 10 lbs over the course of 3 days leading up to Xmas. Of course I didn't gain 10 lbs of fat, but the scale went from 189 to 199 at one point, largely thanks to a moderately big xmas meal with an extra salty ham. Also, in addition to the usual holiday parties/food stuff I spent a couple of those days helping my mom make candies, cookies and cakes for gift baskets and a family gathering, which led to a lot of tasting and snacking.

I'm back down to 191 now.
Old 01-03-17, 11:46 AM   #106
DVD Talk Hero

Three days in, and I'm kicking ass! I've only had small healthy meals (no Reubens!) and I've run twice.

(yes, I'm joking - not about my diet/exercise, but that three days means anything)
Old 01-03-17, 01:45 PM   #107
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.

I'm back on the diet, and I had forgotten how much it sucks at the beginning. After all the talk about Reubens today, I really wanted a corned beef or pastrami sandwich.
Old 01-03-17, 09:14 PM   #108
DVD Talk Legend

Three days of 45 minutes on the bike, 2.75-3.1 miles with the pupster, 274 words a day for the book, watching what I eat. Keeping all my New Year's resolutions
Old 01-04-17, 04:07 AM   #109
DVD Talk Legend

Working in Florida is nice for not being cold. But humidity is a incredible for running
Old 01-04-17, 06:09 AM   #110
DVD Talk Legend

198.2 this morning so down 1.8 from yesterday. It's funny how this honeymoon period is good on one hand but sets up high expectations on the other. It's easy to be motivated the first couple weeks when the weight is falling off. It's a month or two in when every oz. is a chore and the cravings are killing you that separates the wheat from the chaff. I would say Deb has been the most successful. SD I believe is a close second as far as taking off weight and getting in shape. All I've ever wanted or needed was to lose 30 or 35. I get to 20, plateau, then lose motivation. We'll see if 17 can be any better.
Back in 1992 my job was to convince people they needed a cellphone. How things have changed. // 65" LG OLED B6P, Pioneer Elite vsx91, MX-450 remote, 263 DVD's, Samsung K8500 UHD 391 BR titles, 23 UHD4K titles, Toshiba A35 57 titles, Definitive Technologies speakers and supercube sub.// Still wanted on Hi-Def disc: Bugsy/Dragnet/PearlHarbor(Directors cut)/Timeline/Tin Cup/True Lies
Old 01-04-17, 06:28 AM   #111
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Small guy here, 5'9 163lbs-ish. I'm one of those guys who could always eat whatever and never gained weight, the great metabolism, yada yada....I've begun developing a gut, and don't love it. I'm 36 so not getting any younger, and just want to get back to around 155. Have begun small with just doing situps or pushups before better every day. I like to run, and can knock out 2-3 miles after work if I'm feeling motivated. Watching what I eat can be challenging at work, we have a community snack drawer that I reach into way too much, when I should be reaching for that piece of fruit I brought with me instead of a handful of chips(my weakest spot).

My wife is due in March so I wanna be fit and be a good healthy dad for my new son on the way.
Old 01-04-17, 07:26 AM   #112
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm in, though my goal is to keep weight off rather than lose much more. I dropped from 223 to 195 last year, almost exclusively by jogging and occasionally biking. At 6'2" and with a broad-ish build, I'd start to look funny if I lost much more than another 10 lbs or so, but I want to make sure I keep what I've lost off. The winter's going to be tough. My Christmas gifts from family were pretty much exclusively cold weather gear for running and I've used it several times in the past two weeks. It's awesome for staying warm and I've used it down to 20 degrees with no issues, but I hit a patch of ice and wiped out hard last week, so now I'm a bit gun shy. I'm considering getting a couple months membership to a local center that has an 1/8-mile indoor track, but it would be tough to get there to run in the morning and still get my son to daycare and then make it to work on time. I may just resign myself to only getting in a handful of runs over the next two months and then ramp back up once things have mostly thawed in March.
Old 01-04-17, 09:06 AM   #113
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm in a similar boat as the last two posters. I used to be the super skinny guy that could eat anything and had a magic metabolism. That metabolism started slowing down a lot in the last few years. At first, the extra weight looked good on me, and then it kept accumulating in my gut and face. For the first time in my life, I was approaching 200 pounds, and it freaked me out.

I started with unhealthy weight loss techniques, like skipping dinner, but I ultimately ended up having my most success after I joined Blue Apron. Sorry if I sound like a shill. Not intended. Anyway, I have always been a picky eater, didn't eat many veggies, ate out too much. I thought the service could be a good way to force me to eat new things and cook more. I didn't join it as a weight loss thing, but I've lost easily more than 20 pounds since joining, more than 30 in all. I'm 6 feet and went from 195 to about 163. I seem to have found a weight my body likes. I still indulge my sweet teeth but don't fluctuate more than a pound or two. I've noticed that my weight is staying the same, but my body is still changing. Smaller waist size jeans are starting to fit better. I've gone down about three waist sizes.

Overall, I like where I am now, so 2017 will be about maintaining. Sometimes I think about quitting Blue Apron but worry I'll fall back into old, lazy eating habits. So, I'm resigned to continue for now, but I'd like to continue my progress, maybe add some more exercise. The only exercise I currently do is take the dog for a 15 to 20 minute walk every day. I wish we could walk more, but he's old and has bad hips. Short walks are about all he can do, but I walk him with a back harness/sling which forces me to basically carry him. I'm sure that burns off some more calories. That will change soon, though, because he has a rear wheel cart being made for him. I'm hoping he'll be able to walk longer distances. We'll see.

I would really like to get back into weights, but I'm a little worried. When I got at my heaviest, I developed a hernia. The doctor said it was probably related to my weight gain. I know I need to get a belt before I do any lifting, but I'm still nervous about it. Anyone have any experience with that?
Old 01-04-17, 10:04 AM   #114
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by clckworang View Post
I would really like to get back into weights, but I'm a little worried. When I got at my heaviest, I developed a hernia. The doctor said it was probably related to my weight gain. I know I need to get a belt before I do any lifting, but I'm still nervous about it. Anyone have any experience with that?
I've never got heavily into lifting, but I'm genetically predisposed to hernias and have had both umbilical and inguinal. I had surgery for both and was glad that I did. If yours bothers you and you have decent insurance or can otherwise afford it, I'd get it taken care of.
Old 01-04-17, 10:09 AM   #115
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandoman View Post
I'm back on the diet, and I had forgotten how much it sucks at the beginning. After all the talk about Reubens today, I really wanted a corned beef or pastrami sandwich.
For me, the beginning is the easy part! I can drop 20 pounds, no problem - it's the long haul; keeping it off that's difficult, because long-term discipline, for both diet and exercise is unpredictable due to life. Also, weight gain is so much slower than weight loss, that it's harder to notice and nip it in the bud before it catches up on you.

This is why plenty of people take weight off, but very few (like around 1%) keep it off for the long haul.
Old 01-04-17, 10:19 AM   #116
DVD Talk Legend

clckworang - thanks for the Blue Apron suggestion. Never heard of it and it looks pretty interesting. Definitely looks better than those Nutrisystem meals.

I plan to talk it over with the wife and maybe check it out. I always like a healthy variety.

Feel free to give any more details on the program since it works for you.
Old 01-04-17, 11:59 AM   #117
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxfisher View Post
I've never got heavily into lifting, but I'm genetically predisposed to hernias and have had both umbilical and inguinal. I had surgery for both and was glad that I did. If yours bothers you and you have decent insurance or can otherwise afford it, I'd get it taken care of.
Mine is umbilical. It doesn't bother me at all other than being able to see it and being paranoid about it. I thought about having surgery,but I worry about my dog. He's 75 pounds and requires me to pick him up and provide him a lot of assistance. I doubt I'd be able to do that in recovery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderbite View Post
clckworang - thanks for the Blue Apron suggestion. Never heard of it and it looks pretty interesting. Definitely looks better than those Nutrisystem meals.

I plan to talk it over with the wife and maybe check it out. I always like a healthy variety.

Feel free to give any more details on the program since it works for you.
It has been very convenient for me. The plan I do is the one that sends three recipes, each recipe providing at least two portions. They send you a refrigerated box with all the raw ingredients (meat, veggies, milk, flour, butter, etc.) portioned out for each recipe and recipe cards to follow. You are expected to provide water, olive oil, salt and pepper. You perform all the prep (chopping, mincing, peeling) and cooking.

As a single person, it's a challenge cooking for one, so it's nice to have something delivered to me. I cook up my dinner and then take the second portion for lunch the next day. Meals are usually pretty basic in that it's typically a meat with one or two sides, but there's quite an assortment of cooking styles and ingredients I've encountered. You can choose between a few different options (three meat dishes, three vegetarian, but not all combinations are available) or skip a week if the choices aren't to your liking or you won't be around.

The price per portion is roughly equivalent to eating out (just under $10), so it's about $60 a week. I like not having to agonize to decide what to cook, and knowing that a new delivery is just a week away, I feel like it forces me to cook even if I don't want to. By contrast, when I go grocery shopping, I usually have grand ideas but no follow through once I get home.

I live in a small town, so it has also been fun to use ingredients I wouldn't find in any grocery store near me. The service certainly isn't for everyone, but it works for me. While it's not marketed as a diet service, it's mainly about fresh ingredients, home cooking and portion control, and those things often lead to weight loss.

If you or anyone has any questions about it, I'd be happy to answer it here or in a private message.

Last edited by clckworang; 01-04-17 at 12:16 PM.
Old 01-04-17, 12:15 PM   #118
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by clckworang View Post
Mine is umbilical. It doesn't bother me at all other than being able to see it and being paranoid about it. I thought about having surgery,but I worry about my dog. He's 75 pounds and requires me to pick him up and provide him a lot of assistance. I doubt I'd be able to do that in recovery.
Yeah, you'd need at least a week of help with your dog, probably two, just to be safe. In terms of discomfort, the recovery for the umbilical repair was really only a day or two. The inguinal was more like a week. That said, if it doesn't bother you, it's probably fine to ignore. Both of mine got to the point where I was getting regular almost-but-not-quite-painful pinching sensations around them and I was glad to be rid of them.
Old 01-04-17, 04:10 PM   #119
DVD Talk Legend

We did the Blue Apron for a while. I liked it quite a bit. The food was good and the portions were very generous in relation to the reported calorie count. My wife got frustrated with it because it did take some work to make the recipes. It would take 45 minutes to make the dinner and 5 minutes to eat it.
Old 01-04-17, 07:44 PM   #120
DVD Talk Special Edition

Dtox, man Dtox. My wife went all organic, gluten free, and detox. She lost 19 lbs with no exercise and food limitations in two months. PM and I will give you more details.

P.S. Not a spokeperson or salesman, just a witness.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”
― H.L. Mencken
Old 01-04-17, 08:24 PM   #121
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapasu View Post
Dtox, man Dtox. My wife went all organic, gluten free, and detox. She lost 19 lbs with no exercise and food limitations in two months. PM and I will give you more details.

P.S. Not a spokeperson or salesman, just a witness.
That helps. Especially when you have a lot of sugar-fueled water weight in there. Also, just switching away from heavily processed foods will give you a big boost. Sugar and processed food makes you retain a lot of water in your cells. This also has something to do with "inflammation" that everyone talks about now.

As I understand, that water retention and inflammation is one of the worst things for you.
Old 01-04-17, 11:25 PM   #122
DVD Talk Hero

Just joining in. Started a weight loss journey this week and just noticed this thread. Started at 237, down already to 231 (I drop the first ten or twelve pounds really fast every time I diet). I'd love to hit 190 (haven't been there since middle school), but more likely will settle near 210-215. People start telling me I look too thin when I get below 210. Maybe you guys can kick me in the ass to keep losing, though, when the time comes.

And as for kvrdave's first post, I had a chuckle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kvrdave View Post
My best weight seems to be around 230-235.
I distinctly remember you saying, years ago, that your best weight was 215. I remember it because it was the same weight I hover around naturally, and you were immediately asked about it by someone. They pointed out how it's still overweight, and you rationalized it. I have always thought about that when I hit 215. But now you've upped it by 15-20 pounds! Interested to hear your new rationalization.
Old 01-05-17, 11:34 AM   #123
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numanoid View Post
And as for kvrdave's first post, I had a chuckle.
I distinctly remember you saying, years ago, that your best weight was 215. I remember it because it was the same weight I hover around naturally, and you were immediately asked about it by someone. They pointed out how it's still overweight, and you rationalized it. I have always thought about that when I hit 215. But now you've upped it by 15-20 pounds! Interested to hear your new rationalization.
Man, I haven't been 215 since college. I hovered between 225 and 235 for 5-6 years, and it generally was most sustainable with the least amount of effort at 230-235. I can't imagine getting to 215. That would be great, but I don't want to work that hard.
“The illegality of cannabis is outrageous, an impediment to full utilization of a drug which helps produce the serenity and insight, sensitivity and fellowship so desperately needed in this increasingly mad and dangerous world.”

― Carl Sagan
Old 01-05-17, 11:41 AM   #124
DVD Talk God

Ah. so my rationalization is that I probably remembered how great it was to be 215, found it was too much work to get there once I had dropped to around 230, and decided to be happy with that.

― Carl Sagan
Old 01-05-17, 11:50 AM   #125
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So I gained 3 pounds last week lol. Not concerned by it though. I didn't do as well as I wanted diet wise but still had a calorie deficit of close to 4000 calories. Lifting for six days straight and regular weight fluctuations caused the increase. If I keep the lifting up at this pace probably wont see any weight loss for a few more weeks.

Starting Weight: 230
Current Weight: 233