Getting rid of old medicine, mom passed away

Other Talk "Otterville"

Old 12-15-16, 03:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello.

I used to be here all the time, it seems like I come back once or twice a year and try to catch up on stuff.

My mom recently passed. I have about a dozen bottles of medicine, plus insulin, syringes, glucose test strips.

I did some Google searches, and I guess there was a program where you could send basically anything and they would send it to third world countries.

There is a program in California where nursing homes, hospitals, etc can donate unused medicines. But individuals cannot.

So I am guessing I should give these to her doctors office or something to dispose of. Even finding people that take the same drugs they probably wouldn't take them.

I hate to just toss them...

Ideas?
Old 12-15-16, 06:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Getting rid of old medicine, mom passed away

Toss 'em.

We have a program here called "Take it to the Box".

Our local PD and my Sheriff's Office have secure boxes in their lobbies to dispose of old medication. We've taken in like 2 tons of medications in the last few years.

Don't take the chance it will end up in the wrong hands. Call your local police department and see if they have anything like that for a disposal program. They may not...and you may have to just flush the pills and dispose of the bottles.

Sorry for the loss of your mother too. Good luck.
Old 12-15-16, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry for your loss my friend. I was going to say what 5-0 did. When my dad passed, I brought his stuff over to the town hall. In the lobby of the PD was a secure donation box where it's properly disposed of. I know of no program that reuses medicine. There is no way to be sure the same stuff on the label is in the bottle or it isn't tainted in some way.
Old 12-15-16, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 547 Likes on 395 Posts

Call your local PD go see if they have boxes. I also remember reading either CVS or Walgreens was setting up boxes in some stores. Might be worth checking out.
Old 12-15-16, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 503 Likes on 352 Posts

Sorry to hear of your loss.

I would speak with her doctor. You can ask him/her about that process. Plus you can inform that office of her passing in case they have a process to deal with her medical records.
Old 12-15-16, 10:12 AM
Psi
DVD Talk Legend

Received 117 Likes on 76 Posts

Really sorry for your loss.

For disposal of unused medicine, the idea is to make it so that it is not intentionally or accidentally used by someone else.

If you don't have those PD or pharmacy disposal services nearby, usually you just want to smash it first, mix it with some dirt, then bag and toss it in the trash. There are a few things that are dangerous even in small doses, so you should flush them down the toilet (it's actually environmentally OK).

Here are FDA guidelines: http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/ResourcesFo.../ucm186187.htm

Last edited by Psi; 12-15-16 at 10:18 AM. Reason: Added link.
Old 12-15-16, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 124 Likes on 79 Posts

I'm sorry for your loss.

When my mom passed, the hospice nurse put her meds in a diaper with kitty litter and coffee grounds, poured liquid on it, the wrapped up the diaper to throw away.

Where I live, I've seen signs saying not to flush medication into the water supply, so I wouldn't do that.
Old 12-15-16, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 619 Likes on 410 Posts

People aren't supposed to flush meds anymore. Antibiotics were too hard on the water treatment plants. And there were reports about high levels of estrogen in the rivers affecting wildlife.

Sorry for your loss.
Old 12-15-16, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 184 Likes on 103 Posts

Combine together, smash into powder, snort a line, and wait to see what happens.

Or you could be an adult and take them to a local pharmacy or PD that disposes of old drugs. I've read flushing the pills is a no-no and not environmentally safe.

Last edited by funkyryno; 12-15-16 at 01:29 PM.
Old 12-15-16, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Sorry to hear about your mom.
My dad had a bunch of medicine left over when he passed and the hospital said the best way was to throw it away, but smash it up and mix it with old coffee grounds to prevent people from digging it out and using it I guess.
Old 12-15-16, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 201 Likes on 118 Posts

1. Collect all drugs
2. Sell them at the local high school
4. Profit
Old 12-15-16, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 201 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
People aren't supposed to flush meds anymore. Antibiotics were too hard on the water treatment plants. And there were reports about high levels of estrogen in the rivers affecting wildlife.
This.

Sorry for your loss.
But especially this.
Old 12-15-16, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 634 Likes on 416 Posts

Sorry about your Mom.
Old 12-15-16, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 188 Likes on 134 Posts

sorry about the loss of your mom.

If there are any good painkillers, I'll take them.
Old 12-15-16, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 124 Likes on 84 Posts

Sorry about your mom.
Old 12-15-16, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 427 Likes on 276 Posts

Sorry to hear about this. You should be able to drop off at a police station or, around here, a fire station. We had a family member die suddenly in his home and the fire department was on scene and offered to go through the house and remove all medicines or needles and dispose it for us. That was nice of them and it gave us one less then to have to deal with.
Old 12-15-16, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 72 Likes on 44 Posts

Very sorry to hear of your loss.
Old 12-15-16, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 181 Likes on 120 Posts

If this thread didn't start off with the OP's mother passing, I'd offer a LMGTFY link. But it did, so I wont.

Santa Barbara, CA
linky: http://www.santabarbaraca.gov/servic...te/medical.asp

Residential Medication Disposal

Please don’t flush medicines down the toilet any more! A recent study shows that 80% of US streams contain small amounts of pharmaceuticals. Sewage systems cannot remove these substances from water that is then released into lakes, rivers, or oceans, affecting fish and other aquatic animals. Very small amounts of medicine have even been found in drinking water.

In Santa Barbara County, "Operation Medicine Cabinet" provides safe disposal of unwanted prescription and over-the-counter household medications. You can place medicines in a baggie and recycle the containers, or keep medications in their original containers but remove or scratch out all personal information.

Medication Drop-off Locations
The drop boxes listed below do accept Controlled Substances.
(Drop-off boxes are similar to post office public mailboxes that do not allow removal except by authorized personnel.)

SB Police Department Lobby 805-897-2300
215 E. Figueroa St. Santa Barbara, CA

Santa Barbara Sheriff's Station 805-681-4100
4434 Calle Real Santa Barbara, CA
and

Residential Needles & Sharps Disposal

It is illegal to place sharps or sharps containers in trash or recycling containers.

Mail In Sharps Disposal
Under the new trash contract, Santa Barbara residents are entitled to receive free mail-in medical sharps containers. For more details or to request a container be brought to your home, please contact MarBorg at (805) 963-1852.

Sharps Drop-off Locations
The following sites are free for residential dropoff unless otherwise indicated. Sharps must be placed in approved collection containers. Cans and plastic milk jugs are NOT appropriate containers and will not be accepted. Many drop-off locations have proper containers available.

Santa Barbara County Clinical Laboratory (805) 681-5380
Mon - Fri, 8:00 - 12:00, 1:00 - 5:00
315 Camino Del Remedio, Room 117 Santa Barbara, CA

Santa Barbara County Health Clinic-Franklin Center (805) 568-2099
Mon - Fri, 7:30 - 12:00, 12:30 - 5:00
1136 East Montecito Street Santa Barbara, CA (downtown)

Caldwell Pharmacy (805) 682-7353
($5 fee per full container, various fees for replacement containers)
Mon - Fri 9:00 – 6:00 Sat 9:00 – 1:00
235 W. Pueblo St Santa Barbara, CA
Old 12-15-16, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

My mother died at home, so when the funeral home arrived to take her away they made a beeline for her medications and destroyed them in the garbage disposal. They take that shit seriously.
Old 12-15-16, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

PMed you my address.
Old 12-15-16, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 106 Likes on 76 Posts

When my dad passed away, his girlfriend took it and said she would donate it to some church that collected it. It was mostly diabeties and heart medicines, none of the good stuff. I don't know if she really donated it or not but she was a pain in the butt for those that read my old thread.
Old 12-15-16, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 532 Likes on 378 Posts

First, sorry for your loss.

Second, you need to come back more often.

Third, everybody has offered good advice for the actual medications -- local law enforcement, fire department, or health department should be able to help with the disposal of medication.

However the supplies (test strips, unused syringes, etc.) can be of use to people in need. Diabetic supplies are pricey. I'd suggest contacting your local health department or diabetic clinic (maybe even your mom's doctor) to see if there are any local programs you could donate them to. Or, if you need cash, you could sell them. Look online for a specialty website or use Craigslist. Seriously. My daughter has a bunch of supplies we can't use anymore (insurance switched preferred brand and then we switched her treatment plan to include an insulin pump) and we have recently started researching what to do with them.
Old 12-16-16, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 106 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff View Post
First, sorry for your loss.

Second, you need to come back more often.

Third, everybody has offered good advice for the actual medications -- local law enforcement, fire department, or health department should be able to help with the disposal of medication.

However the supplies (test strips, unused syringes, etc.) can be of use to people in need. Diabetic supplies are pricey. I'd suggest contacting your local health department or diabetic clinic (maybe even your mom's doctor) to see if there are any local programs you could donate them to. Or, if you need cash, you could sell them. Look online for a specialty website or use Craigslist. Seriously. My daughter has a bunch of supplies we can't use anymore (insurance switched preferred brand and then we switched her treatment plan to include an insulin pump) and we have recently started researching what to do with them.
Yeah, the test strips and syringes would definetely be welcomed by some. Pills not some much because of tampering issues, unless you directly know the person and they will trust you. Most diabetic and blood pressure medicines are under Walmart's $4 per month plan as well so don't have much value. The blood testing machines are almost worthless because places like Walgreens and CVS practically give them away with manuafacturer promotions because they know they will stick you with the prices of the test strips for the machines.
Old 12-17-16, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 532 Likes on 378 Posts

movieguru. Although I will say, it is handy to have extra meters (in the glove box of the car, at work/school, etc.) just in case. Like you said, they aren't hard to come by, but any source can be a resource!
Old 12-17-16, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello. A couple of the meds are the same as the ones my dad uses. 1 or 2 are 90 day supplies so they are in sealed bottles.

Have 1 unopened bottle each of Humalog and Lantus. And 1 1/2 boxes of syringes. 150 FreeStyle blood glucose strips.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.