DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Other Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk-9/)
-   -   Matthew: The Serious Hurricane Edition (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk/637642-matthew-serious-hurricane-edition.html)

DVD Polizei 10-06-16 10:12 AM

Matthew: The Serious Hurricane Edition

This will be an interesting observation in human civility and basic survival.

Not to mention how many news reporters will be swept away.

Not to mention how many people in general did not pay attention to warnings.

raven56706 10-06-16 10:13 AM

Re: Matthew: The Serious Hurricane Edition

"this storm will kill you" - Gov Rick Scott

as blunt as can be.

E Unit 10-06-16 10:14 AM

Now a Category 4, sustained winds of 140 mph, with gusts of up to 165. Crazy. My family that lives there left a few days ago.

DVD Polizei 10-06-16 10:16 AM

Yeah, I haven't seen such a perfect path of destruction for quite some time. Weather.com has a pretty cool graphic estimation. It's like somebody shaving an ear of corn with a sharp knife. Matthew is the knife and it will just shave off a side of that corn with ease. The ear of corn is Florida's east coastline.

DVD Polizei 10-06-16 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by trespoochies (Post 12916006)
Now a Category 4, sustained winds of 140 mph, with gusts of up to 165. Crazy. My family that lives there left a few days ago.

Very wise. Some friends of the family just boarded up their house yesterday (Ft. Lauderdale area) and took a trip to North Dakota. I said, well, you should be ok. They are not used to this as they moved their last year.

E Unit 10-06-16 10:21 AM

Waiting for Fox News and the GOP (and Drumpf) to claim the hurricane is the work of liberal media to try and persuade us that global warming is real. And not to take away from the hurricane, but I just read this. I can only imagine something happening at the same time this hurricane does its damage.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...-sea/91651230/

Worrying new fault line discovered in California valley

PALM SPRINGS, Calif. — Scientists say they've discovered a new fault line running along the eastern edge of the Salton Sea parallel to the San Andreas Fault.

The announcement, published this week in the Bulletin of the Seismological Society of America, follows a recent rash of almost 200 small earthquakes at the Southern California inland sea and heightened concerns about the "Big One."

Valerie Sahakian, a researcher with the U.S. Geological Survey and lead author of the study, said the newly named Salton Trough Fault has no connection to the recent quake swarm and the timing of the announcement is coincidental.

The U.S. Geological Survey said the swarm temporarily increased the risk of a bigger earthquake. Officials said that risk fell back to normal on Tuesday.

The largest quake in the swarm was a magnitude 4.3.

Early Wednesday, two smaller earthquakes shook land south of where the swarm was located. Sahakian said she hadn't studied those quakes and couldn't say if they were linked to the swarm or the Salton Trough Fault.

Sahakian said the discovery of new faults is becoming less common, particularity in well-surveyed Southern California. But this one was difficult to find because it appears to be under the water.

The research was a joint effort by seismologists from University of California, San Diego's Scripps Institution of Oceanography, where Sahakian studied, and the University of Nevada, Reno.

More research is needed to determine the fault's full length and location. That information can then be used to better gauge earthquake danger.

"Things like locations of the fault and expected magnitude at the fault are what's used to predict the maximum groundshaking a region can expect," Sahakian said.

Research suggests that over the past thousand years, the southern end of the San Andreas Fault has seen magnitude 7 earthquakes roughly every 175 to 200 years, although a major event hasn't occurred in more than 300 years.

mapasu 10-06-16 10:24 AM

We're ready here in Ocala. Office, schools, shops closed tomorrow.

DVD Polizei 10-06-16 10:24 AM

Yeah, that's good. It looks like airports are closing or already have. Scenes from Deep Impact come to mind when it comes to freeways and roads with gridlocked traffic.

I'm concerned on how people will behave (i.e., panic, theft, robbery, etc.) versus the destruction of the hurricane itself. Because it took take time for authorities and medical vehicles to get to people immediately after an even like this, not to mention, limited resources...especially if a CAT4 just rolls up the entire eastern coastline. That's a lot of damage.

Hopefully, we might see an immediate move further to the east.

raven56706 10-06-16 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by trespoochies (Post 12916015)
Waiting for Fox News and the GOP (and Drumpf) to claim the hurricane is the work of liberal media to try and persuade us that global warming is real. And not to take away from the hurricane, but I just read this. I can only imagine something happening at the same time this hurricane does its damage.

huh... its a hurricane... how is it global warming?

E Unit 10-06-16 10:30 AM

It's Fox and the GOP - they'll link them together.

cungar 10-06-16 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by trespoochies (Post 12916015)
Waiting for Fox News and the GOP (and Drumpf) to claim the hurricane is the work of liberal media to try and persuade us that global warming is real.

Man did you call it.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...b0b7aafe0bff06

Rush Limbaugh Thinks Hurricanes Are Part Of A Left-Wing Conspiracy

“It’s in the interest of the left to have destructive hurricanes because then they can blame it on climate change.”

Conservative talk show host Rush Limbaugh suggested this week that the National Hurricane Center was “playing games” with its forecasts to cause false alarms and scare people into believing in climate change.

“It’s in the interest of the left to have destructive hurricanes because then they can blame it on climate change, which they can desperately continue trying to sell,” he said on “The Rush Limbaugh Show.”

While Limbaugh admitted that Hurricane Matthew, which killed dozens of people in the Caribbean and is currently barreling toward the Florida coast, is a “serious storm,” he also claimed it was the first of its kind in more than a decade.

Pharoh 10-06-16 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by raven56706 (Post 12916024)
huh... its a hurricane... how is it global warming?

If you are interested in a somewhat serious answer with none of the political gibes, climate change most certainly can have, and has had, an effect on tropical storms. I don't follow this stuff that much, but I believe the current research shows that climate change is causing, and will continue to cause, fewer tropical storms but with a greater average intensity.

raven56706 10-06-16 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by Pharoh (Post 12916036)
If you are interested in a somewhat serious answer with none of the political gibes, climate change most certainly can have, and has had, an effect on tropical storms. I don't follow this stuff that much, but I believe the current research shows that climate change is causing, and will continue to cause, fewer tropical storms but with a greater average intensity.

oh without a doubt but his response was a very general statement.

dont care but whatever

anyone in florida stay safe please... this shit seems like a very fucked up storm

General Zod 10-06-16 11:39 AM

Unfortunately, the way things are today, evacuate = make your home available for looting because people just suck.

mapasu 10-06-16 11:44 AM

I have lived in Florida for twelve years and I can tell you this is the real deal and Matthew will fuck things up. For the past ten years, there has been an intensive migration of folks from the US North and Midwest down to FL. Add that the whole island of Puerto Rico now resides in the peninsula and you have a population that is not used to FL extreme weather events. The real estate developments and construction have built non stop for this time and they have a lot of properties and communities next to the shores. Once again, it will be ugly.

Dan 10-06-16 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by General Zod (Post 12916071)
Unfortunately, the way things are today, evacuate = make your home available for looting because people just suck.

Fuck, that's depressing.

Originally Posted by mapasu (Post 12916079)
I have lived in Florida for twelve years and I can tell you this is the real deal and Matthew will fuck things up. For the past ten years, there has been an intensive migration of folks from the US North and Midwest down to FL. Add that the whole island of Puerto Rico now resides in the peninsula and you have a population that is not used to FL extreme weather events. The real estate developments and construction have built non stop for this time and they have a lot of properties and communities next to the shores. Once again, it will be ugly.

Stay safe!

DVD Polizei 10-06-16 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by cungar (Post 12916034)
Man did you call it.

This isn't a one-sided political opportunity event, by the way.

Hurricane Matthew is super strong — because of climate change

Hurricane Matthew’s Strength Is Yet Another Climate Change Indicator

But I'd prefer we talk Global Warming in another thread in the Politics & Other Shit forum. :)

Anyway, General Zod, was there historic theft during previous hurricanes in Florida in the same areas? I've read conflicting reports. Hopefully, we won't see people acting criminal. Stupid, I can understand.

whotony 10-06-16 12:09 PM

No more politics please.

Anyway I'm an hour east of Canaveral in Orlando and it looks like it's going to be bad even this far inland.

I'm getting wind and light rain now

E Unit 10-06-16 12:10 PM

It's sad, but I said that very jokingly.

And are you headed out? Please be careful. Those of you in the path, what are your plans?

whotony 10-06-16 12:14 PM

Staying put

E Unit 10-06-16 12:26 PM

Damn, please stay safe. And no surfing.

mapasu 10-06-16 12:51 PM

So it begins...

http://images.intellicast.com/WxImag..._None_anim.gif

raven56706 10-06-16 01:27 PM

there are some fucking morons in the water

tommyp007 10-06-16 01:45 PM

We are going to Disney for a week starting Sunday. I wonder what it will be like when we get there.

funkyryno 10-06-16 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by tommyp007 (Post 12916193)
We are going to Disney for a week starting Sunday. I wonder what it will be like when we get there.

http://i64.tinypic.com/2qx5ev7.jpg