Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Parents giving kids rediculous names

Old 09-26-16, 07:07 PM
Suspended

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Parents giving kids rediculous names

I volunteered in my kid's kindergarten class today. There's a kid named Irie. Like from Jamaica. Kid is NOT from Jamaica. Kid is not even black. What the fuck are you doing naming your kid something like that? It immediately says volumes about who you are as a parent, and on the flip side it immediately labels your kid as someone to watch.

I almost considered saying to him, "No, I'm not going to call you that." But I thought better of it.

Oh and of course he's the single worst student in the class. Can't pay attention or follow directions, doesn't follow the rules.
Old 09-26-16, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Parents giving kids rediculous names

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
I volunteered in my kid's kindergarten class today. There's a kid named Irie. Like from Jamaica. Kid is NOT from Jamaica. Kid is not even black. What the fuck are you doing naming your kid something like that? It immediately says volumes about who you are as a parent...
Bitching about someone's name without knowing the background probably speaks volumes about you.

Your family must be full of boring, vanilla names.
Old 09-26-16, 07:21 PM
Suspended

What background could there be? There's only one definition for that name. I googled it to be sure.
Old 09-26-16, 07:46 PM

I'd like more examples of these "rediculous" names. You mean, when parents accidentally misspell a regular name? Because you're right - people who make mistakes like that should be ridiculed.
Old 09-26-16, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TomOpus View Post
Bitching about someone's name without knowing the background probably speaks volumes about you.

Your family must be full of boring, vanilla Christian names.
Fix...
Old 09-26-16, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm going to name my next kid "Rediculous" in honor of this thread.

It'll work for a boy or a girl!
Old 09-26-16, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

All I will say is that parents have gone crazy this generation with naming. I'm even talking about college-educated parents.
Old 09-26-16, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ View Post
I'm going to name my next kid "Rediculous" in honor of this thread.

It'll work for a boy or a girl!
Old 09-26-16, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by wendersfan View Post
I'd like more examples of these "rediculous" names. You mean, when parents accidentally misspell a regular name? Because you're right - people who make mistakes like that should be ridiculed.
I was in a class the other night with a dude named Dwain. All I could think was that parents that fucked up the spelling on the birth certificate.
Old 09-26-16, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Irie, in Jamaica has other meaning(s), as well. I remember in Marked for Death (the Steven Seagal flick) he goes up to one of the Jamaicans to buy dope and says "How you doin'" and one of them responds "Irie, irie." I figured it's a salutation of some kind.

No need to ridicule folks. Mind your own fucking business.

EDIT - I was right:

i∑rie
ˈīrē/
adjectiveblack English
nice, good, or pleasing (used as a general term of approval).
"the place is jumping with irie vibes"
exclamation
used by Rastafarians as a friendly greeting.
Old 09-26-16, 09:03 PM

A non traditional child's name almost sets Mabuse off!

And we all do know Mabuse's background...

Last edited by Havoc101; 09-26-16 at 09:47 PM.
Old 09-26-16, 09:42 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
Irie, in Jamaica has other meaning(s), as well. I remember in Marked for Death (the Steven Seagal flick) he goes up to one of the Jamaicans to buy dope and says "How you doin'" and one of them responds "Irie, irie." I figured it's a salutation of some kind.

No need to ridicule folks. Mind your own fucking business.

EDIT - I was right:

i∑rie
ˈīrē/
adjectiveblack English
nice, good, or pleasing (used as a general term of approval).
"the place is jumping with irie vibes"
exclamation
used by Rastafarians as a friendly greeting.
Huh? You're writing like I don't know the meaning. Of course I know the meaning. But in America (or maybe I should say here in California) it carries all kinds of connotations of slacker, marijuana smoking, faux Rastafarian identity. I once encountered another family who named their kid Ja. Not only is it silly, it's hobbling to the child.
Old 09-26-16, 09:44 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
I was in a class the other night with a dude named Dwain. All I could think was that parents that fucked up the spelling on the birth certificate.
Do you go to Hillman?!!!

Old 09-26-16, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa

The ridiculous names of this generation all end in -aden or -isson.

Stop doing that, parents.
Old 09-26-16, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I deal with people's name all day at work, I hate stupid spellings of names. A recent one was Austin, but spelled Awstyn. I just shake my head and go about my business.
Old 09-26-16, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Our son's name is Ireland and we call him Iry. He is white and our last name comes from Ireland. His mom (my wife) is Guatemalan, if that makes any difference. Our daughter's name is Amelie. Yes, after the movie. She was born a couple of days after we watched it back in 2003.
Old 09-26-16, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

A family member works as a substitute teacher. He occasionally emails me some of the more hilarious names he comes across. This year's gems so far...

Juztyce
Peavey
Cashew
Forever
Hashtag

And the winner: Susej (Jesus in reverse). To make this one even better, the kid pronounced his name "sausage".
Old 09-26-16, 11:35 PM
Suspended

There's an Amelie on my daughter's soccer team. Indeed I knew the film was more than likely the culprit.

Anyone remember Splash? Madison went from being the most obscure weird name on earth for a girl to #1 with a bullet.
Old 09-26-16, 11:37 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by dsa_shea View Post
Our son's name is Ireland and we call him Iry. He is white and our last name comes from Ireland. His mom (my wife) is Guatemalan, if that makes any difference. Our daughter's name is Amelie. Yes, after the movie. She was born a couple of days after we watched it back in 2003.
Well this ain't Iry it's Irie.

Fellin' Irie mon!
Old 09-27-16, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

In almost twenty years in Pediatrics, I've seen some names that would really make you cry. I feel so bad for kids who have a terrible name -- it's not their fault and it will follow them for at least 18 years and probably their whole life causing people to unfairly judge them because their folks were idiots who thought they were being clever. The ones that are the worst are common names re-spelled in ways that don't obey the rules of the English language. Everyone will mispronounce the kid's name the first time they see him -- EVERYONE.

Anyway, I think it's not a HIPAA violation to tell this one story :
Many years ago, I had this patient, a nice little boy with very young, high-school-attending parents. They were sweet, but young and not super-knowledgeable. I got along very well with them. Well one day a couple of years later, they had a second child, another boy. I went to the nursery to see the baby. He had a name tag on the crib that said "I'm A Boy! My Name is : GAUGE". I called a nurse over and asked her "Did they really spell his name like that?" She said that yes, they did.
Now if it were a first-time parent or someone I didn't know well, I would have just let it be. But like I said, I knew these very young parents and we got along very well. So when I brought the baby back into mother's room, after giving all the discharge instructions, I very casually said "One more thing, I'm not even sure if I should mention this, but... well, the boy's name 'Gage'... is usually spelled G-A-G-E. The spelling G-A-U-G-E is usually to describe a piece of machinery like a tire gauge or a pressure gauge. I just wanted to make sure you spelled it the way you wanted". There was a moment of silence and I felt horrible thinking that I just insulted the Hell out of this nice couple. Then the mother, in bed, turned and punched her boyfriend in the chest -- hard!-- as she yelled at him "I told you so!". He didn't acknowledge the punch at all. He immediately turned to me and sheepishly asked "Is it too late to change it?" I smiled and said "No, not at all. I'll send in a nurse right away to fix that on the paperwork". I still chuckle when I think of that kid and how I may have saved him from a lifetime of embarrassment.
Old 09-27-16, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by wendersfan View Post
I think you mean "rediculed."
Old 09-27-16, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I was digging on the name 'Cashew' and then I read this:

Originally Posted by Living Dead View Post

And the winner: Susej (Jesus in reverse). To make this one even better, the kid pronounced his name "sausage".
Old 09-27-16, 12:32 AM

This is a perennially favorite topic that gets me chuckling every time! It speaks volumes about Sociology. Judging by the absolutely hideous names modern, 'hip' parents are giving their hellspawn, it seems axiomatic that Jim, Bob, and Mary are evil, to be shunned, eschewed, and jettisoned forever! (Most of all it seems people want everybody to think their child is SPECIAL, by the ridiculous names). I'll laugh at parents who call their child such names and tell they're trying too hard... Just name their spawn "Winner" and be done with it.

It is pretty hard to think that an 80-year-old in 2095 (if we make it that far!) whose name is Peevee or Hashtag will be taken seriously... Probably will have committed suicide long before age 80.

For my part, I support a new Retro-name campaign where all the respectable names from the '20s-'40s come back into vogue.
Old 09-27-16, 12:59 AM

I work in a public school (grades K-6) which consists of mostly minorities & the names get worse & worse every year. A few I can think of offhand are Beyonce, Cocksmel & Manmeet, but there are many, many more.
Old 09-27-16, 06:31 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Anyway, I think it's not a HIPAA violation to tell this one story :
Many years ago, I had this patient, a nice little boy with very young, high-school-attending parents. They were sweet, but young and not super-knowledgeable. I got along very well with them. Well one day a couple of years later, they had a second child, another boy. I went to the nursery to see the baby. He had a name tag on the crib that said "I'm A Boy! My Name is : GAUGE". I called a nurse over and asked her "Did they really spell his name like that?" She said that yes, they did.
Now if it were a first-time parent or someone I didn't know well, I would have just let it be. But like I said, I knew these very young parents and we got along very well. So when I brought the baby back into mother's room, after giving all the discharge instructions, I very casually said "One more thing, I'm not even sure if I should mention this, but... well, the boy's name 'Gage'... is usually spelled G-A-G-E. The spelling G-A-U-G-E is usually to describe a piece of machinery like a tire gauge or a pressure gauge. I just wanted to make sure you spelled it the way you wanted". There was a moment of silence and I felt horrible thinking that I just insulted the Hell out of this nice couple. Then the mother, in bed, turned and punched her boyfriend in the chest -- hard!-- as she yelled at him "I told you so!". He didn't acknowledge the punch at all. He immediately turned to me and sheepishly asked "Is it too late to change it?" I smiled and said "No, not at all. I'll send in a nurse right away to fix that on the paperwork". I still chuckle when I think of that kid and how I may have saved him from a lifetime of embarrassment.
Hilarious. They didn't research it on bit. Good shit. You have to imagine some of the spelling is unintentional becuase we are a society full of idiots (see this year's election). Though, I'd still say the bulk are parents who think they're being clever.

Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
For my part, I support a new Retro-name campaign where all the respectable names from the '20s-'40s come back into vogue.
Yes and no. Some should just stay buried though; Wilma, Ethel, Mortimer, Wilfred, etc. Those are just as bad as the Hunters, Taylors & Spencers of the world.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.