Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Parents giving kids rediculous names

Old 09-28-16, 01:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Parents giving kids rediculous names

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
Yes and no. Some should just stay buried though; Wilma, Ethel, Mortimer, Wilfred, etc. Those are just as bad as the Hunters, Taylors & Spencers of the world.
I actually dated a Wilma when I was a teenager.
Old 09-28-16, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

A teller at the bank I used to bank at was (is) named Teal. She had a daughter and named her Aqua.

From Snopes (http://www.snopes.com/racial/language/names.asp):

Lemon Jello (le-MON-juh-lo)
Orange Jello (or-AN-juh-lo)

I met Lemonjello when I was running a video store in Springfield. He and his brother, Orangello, were authorized renters on their parents' account.
Old 09-28-16, 02:47 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Am I the only one who's never heard of "Gage" being a name? Even though the Gauge misspelling is funny, both are weird names to me.
Old 09-28-16, 06:01 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
Am I the only one who's never heard of "Gage" being a name?
Old 09-28-16, 06:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by LurkerDan View Post
I went with one of the "old" names when naming my daughter. I actually looked at the Social Security website for most popular names by decade, and started with the 1880s and up through the 1930s. Ended up with Lillian.
The problem with some old school names is you don't want a 1 year old to literally have a Granny name. The names Bertha, Gertrude,Agnes,Nettie,Belulah etc those will get just as much ridicule as if you named someone Chubby or Nabisco or something equally silly.
Old 09-28-16, 06:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
Am I the only one who's never heard of "Gage" being a name? Even though the Gauge misspelling is funny, both are weird names to me.
Gage Clarke--actor in the 1950s and '60s, a dozen movies but mostly TV shows.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0164764/reference

Old 09-28-16, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
There's an Amelie on my daughter's soccer team. Indeed I knew the film was more than likely the culprit.

Anyone remember Splash? Madison went from being the most obscure weird name on earth for a girl to #1 with a bullet.
Had dinner the other night with an old high school friend who has a daughter named Madison, middle name Hope. The derivation of the name was that she had her (now ex) husband first met on the corner of Madison and Hope streets.
I'm like, "hey, that's just like Splash!". She had no idea what I was talking about.
Old 09-28-16, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

People say the worse thing a child could have is my last name. Forced sterilization becomes very popular when my name is brought up.
Old 09-28-16, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by AaronHernandez View Post
The problem with some old school names is you don't want a 1 year old to literally have a Granny name. The names Bertha, Gertrude,Agnes,Nettie,Belulah etc those will get just as much ridicule as if you named someone Chubby or Nabisco or something equally silly.
A lot of those older-fashioned names are making a comeback, including Lily/Lillian. What is also pretty interesting is that some of the old mainstay names have almost completely died. "Jennifer", for example, has completed plummeted in popularity over the past several years. In 1980, there were about 60,000 new babies named "Jennifer". Last year there were only about 1200.
Old 09-28-16, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Living Dead View Post
A family member works as a substitute teacher. He occasionally emails me some of the more hilarious names he comes across. This year's gems so far...

Juztyce
Peavey
Cashew
Forever
Hashtag

And the winner: Susej (Jesus in reverse). To make this one even better, the kid pronounced his name "sausage".
I wonder if Susej will meet his soulmate, Neveah and live happily ever after?
Old 09-28-16, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Mädchen Amick.

Yes, Mädchen is a German word that describes a young Female/Girl/Wench/Bachelorette, but this would be the same if somebody in America would pick "Young-Female" as a first name for their daughter. Wouldn't that just seem silly?

If you'd name your daughter "Mädchen" in Germany she would be the laughing stock her entire life.
Old 09-28-16, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I was almost named after my two grandmothers: Effie Pearl. Fortunately, my parents reconsidered. They did give me a first name with an unusual spelling, which meant I spent the first eighteen years of my life either spelling or pronouncing my name (sometimes both) to everyone I met. The spelling is very common now, even popular, thanks to a certain television cooking star.

At eighteen I started using my middle name, which is completely conventional but gets me Seinfeld and Smithereens cracks all the time.

Finally ... I have worked for both the county hospital and the county juvenile justice system in Kansas City over my thirty-odd years in careerism, so I can tell you that there are twins named Thumbelina and Tumbelina, a boy named Quo Vadis, and one unfortunate whose uncle was killed the day he was born, leading his parents to name him "Murder Monty" after said uncle. A judge later legally changed the kid's name, I don't know to what. A radio DJ broke the story, leading to a fierce debate on confidentiality in juvenile cases, so don't jump on me for telling tales out of school.

Very truly yours,

Rachael Elaine Vibiana
Old 09-28-16, 10:42 AM
gamer for life

We wanted to give our kids names that stood out but not ones people would make fun of. Our first daughter was Cattibrie (everyone calls her Cat...name comes from some fantasy books) and our second daughter is Olivianne (she goes by Oli)...

I have never felt these names were the type you could make fun of..and in fact especially my oldest, we have received compliments and positive feedback for the last 18 years.

That being said my ex wife wanted to call my oldest Destanna (her two sisters names combined)..and no matter how much I argued with her she was set on it..until she told my family the name and my brother started laughing so hard he turned red in the face. It pissed my ex off, but at least she came to her senses and changed her name.

My brother still tells Cat all the time that she owes him big time.
Old 09-28-16, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by foxdvd View Post
We wanted to give our kids names that stood out but not ones people would make fun of. Our first daughter was Cattibrie (everyone calls her Cat...name comes from some fantasy books) and our second daughter is Olivianne (she goes by Oli)...

I have never felt these names were the type you could make fun of..and in fact especially my oldest, we have received compliments and positive feedback for the last 18 years.

That being said my ex wife wanted to call my oldest Destanna (her two sisters names combined)..and no matter how much I argued with her she was set on it..until she told my family the name and my brother started laughing so hard he turned red in the face. It pissed my ex off, but at least she came to her senses and changed her name.

When my oldest niece had her first daughter, in 1996, she was going to name her Taylor Nicole. She asked me what I thought and I said it was fine if she wanted the kid date-stamped 1996. She went with two of my suggestions: Sydney and Elizabeth (for the middle name). Lots of possibility for nicknames if she hates the Sydney part. She didn't, so we're good.

The next one got a conventional name with "Cire" as the middle, because her father's name was Eric. I wasn't consulted on that. haha

My next niece has four daughters named Lillyanna, Naomi, Katarina, and Annika. Except for preferring a softer spelling like Liliana (Vibiana? lol), I think those names are just the right mix--not too common but not too weird.

I always thought if I'd had children I would name a boy Christopher and a girl either Elizabeth or Katherine. I like classic names like that.
Old 09-28-16, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

My sister named her daughter (born last year) Arya...yes, after the Game of Thrones character.

Could be worse I suppose.
Old 09-28-16, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I have to wonder if there's already a baby girl out there named Eleven with all the Stranger Things buzz.
Old 09-28-16, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Vibiana View Post
Rachael Elaine Vibiana
My Mom's name was Rachael, pronounced Ra-shell. Most people called her Rachel so finally she decided to go by Rae.
Old 09-28-16, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

My sister let me name her first daughter Deniece. She asked me which name I would have used for a boy and I said Denephew.
Old 09-28-16, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Cattibrie sounds like something you order at a fancy restaurant named Olivianne's.
Old 09-28-16, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Old 09-28-16, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
And in 1933 a woman named Lillian Schlemly invented the poll.
Gallup is very thankful for that.

Originally Posted by AaronHernandez View Post
Well, yeah, I didn't say we considered every name on the list.

Originally Posted by jfoobar View Post
A lot of those older-fashioned names are making a comeback, including Lily/Lillian. What is also pretty interesting is that some of the old mainstay names have almost completely died. "Jennifer", for example, has completed plummeted in popularity over the past several years. In 1980, there were about 60,000 new babies named "Jennifer". Last year there were only about 1200.
I thought you must be wrong, and checked the SS website. I cannot believe that Jennifer is at #252! Wow.

The way pop culture influences names is so weird. I met a girl named Addison when my wife was pregnant, and thought "hmm, that's an interesting name". Went and looked it up on the SS site. Was in the hundreds until 2006, when it shot up to 28, then got into the teens. I couldn't figure it out at first, but finally got clued in: a character on Gray's Anatomy.
Old 09-28-16, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Our first daughter was Cattibrie (everyone calls her Cat...name comes from some fantasy books)
Do you happen to be a family of dwarves?

Old 09-28-16, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by LurkerDan View Post
The way pop culture influences names is so weird. I met a girl named Addison when my wife was pregnant, and thought "hmm, that's an interesting name". Went and looked it up on the SS site. Was in the hundreds until 2006, when it shot up to 28, then got into the teens. I couldn't figure it out at first, but finally got clued in: a character on Gray's Anatomy.

Yeah, my oldest was going to be a Noah had she been a boy. This was 13 years ago. I didn't hear it too often back then. Now I hear it fucking everywhere. I have multiple friends with kids named Noah now. It would be interesting to know what caused the spike in that particular name.

Also, my niece is named Addison and age-wise, it works with your Gray's Anatomy theory. Plus I know my sister in law loved that show.
Old 09-28-16, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
Just saw this one while catching up with the show on DVD. Awesome.

How about this:

Old 09-28-16, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I always assumed kids named Addison had Cubs fans for parents.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.