Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Parents giving kids rediculous names

Old 09-27-16, 10:28 AM
  #26  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Posts: 15,477
Re: Parents giving kids rediculous names

I'm sure there's been some hearty hunter of a man who named his son Gauge on purpose. Probably named the daughter Fourten as well.

Last edited by Mabuse; 09-27-16 at 11:07 AM.
Mabuse is offline  
Old 09-27-16, 10:31 AM
  #27  
DVD Talk Legend
 
E Unit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Hell, but currently heading North
Posts: 11,836
Re: Parents giving kids rediculous names

My sister-in-law who's a pediatrician treated a girl named......wait for it.......

Cashe Monet'
E Unit is online now  
Old 09-27-16, 10:46 AM
  #28  
Senior Member
 
smg669's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 877
Re: Parents giving kids rediculous names

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ View Post
I'm going to name my next kid "Rediculous" in honor of this thread.

It'll work for a boy or a girl!
smg669 is offline  
Old 09-27-16, 11:07 AM
  #29  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Ash Ketchum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 11,336
Re: Parents giving kids rediculous names

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
I volunteered in my kid's kindergarten class today. There's a kid named Irie. Like from Jamaica. Kid is NOT from Jamaica. Kid is not even black. What the fuck are you doing naming your kid something like that? It immediately says volumes about who you are as a parent, and on the flip side it immediately labels your kid as someone to watch.

I almost considered saying to him, "No, I'm not going to call you that." But I thought better of it.

Oh and of course he's the single worst student in the class. Can't pay attention or follow directions, doesn't follow the rules.
Maybe they were going for this, but misspelled it:

Ash Ketchum is offline  
Old 09-27-16, 11:24 AM
  #30  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: a mile high, give or take a few feet
Posts: 13,245
Re: Parents giving kids rediculous names

I have no problem with Irie, I guess because I'm not steeped in Rasta culture. It feels like it would work better as a female's name though.

Originally Posted by Living Dead View Post
A family member works as a substitute teacher. He occasionally emails me some of the more hilarious names he comes across. This year's gems so far...

Juztyce
Peavey
Cashew
Forever
Hashtag

And the winner: Susej (Jesus in reverse). To make this one even better, the kid pronounced his name "sausage".
These names are ridiculous, and I feel bad for the children.
mndtrp is offline  
Old 09-27-16, 11:49 AM
  #31  
DVD Talk Legend
 
milo bloom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Chicago suburbs
Posts: 12,679
Re: Parents giving kids rediculous names

I work in a position where I see hundreds of emails a day and let me tell you those unusual names help me distinguish customers from all the people named Joe and Mary and Bob and Sue.

I think a lot of this reaction is, to be frank, based in racism. How about just accepting that people want their kids to stand out?
milo bloom is online now  
Old 09-27-16, 12:11 PM
  #32  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
fumanstan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 55,145
Re: Parents giving kids rediculous names

I used to think weird kid names were stupid and silly, but as I've gotten older I care less. It's just a name, it's kind of silly to think they should conform to something just based on history.

Note, that's mostly about weird spellings and such. Naming a kid a word that has completely different connotations, especially negative, is a little weird.
fumanstan is online now  
Old 09-27-16, 12:11 PM
  #33  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Whiskey Warfield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Houston
Posts: 1,641
Re: Parents giving kids rediculous names

I know someone with twin girls, Jealousy and Jezebel. I asked why Jezebel, it has so much baggage. He said Jezebel is a pretty name and it shouldn't be ruined by some whore thousands of years ago. I didn't ask about Jealousy but I'm guessing it just sounded pretty.
Whiskey Warfield is offline  
Old 09-27-16, 12:33 PM
  #34  
DVD Talk Legend
 
bunkaroo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Chicago West Suburbs
Posts: 15,427
Re: Parents giving kids rediculous names

bunkaroo is offline  
Old 09-27-16, 12:34 PM
  #35  
DVD Talk Legend
 
LurkerDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: The People's Republic of Boulder
Posts: 21,546
Re: Parents giving kids rediculous names

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
I almost considered saying to him, "No, I'm not going to call you that." But I thought better of it.
How very decent and non-rediculous of you.
LurkerDan is offline  
Old 09-27-16, 01:17 PM
  #36  
DVD Talk Legend
 
cultshock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: True North Strong & Free
Posts: 10,900
Re: Parents giving kids rediculous names

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
I almost considered saying to him, "No, I'm not going to call you that." But I thought better of it.

Well that was big of you.

Originally Posted by JZ1276 View Post
Cocksmel & Manmeet
Those poor kids are gonna get beat up...a lot.
cultshock is offline  
Old 09-27-16, 02:47 PM
  #37  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
rbrown498's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,184
Re: Parents giving kids rediculous names

Originally Posted by Screwadu View Post
I know someone with twin girls, Jealousy and Jezebel. I asked why Jezebel, it has so much baggage. He said Jezebel is a pretty name and it shouldn't be ruined by some whore thousands of years ago. I didn't ask about Jealousy but I'm guessing it just sounded pretty.
Those parents ought to just put the stripper poles on layaway now.

Speaking of twins, I taught twin brothers about twelve years ago. I'll omit their last name, but their first and middle names were Rontavious Dontae and Dontavious Rontae.

Truth.

Last edited by rbrown498; 09-27-16 at 03:15 PM.
rbrown498 is offline  
Old 09-27-16, 03:05 PM
  #38  
DVD Talk Legend
 
PhantomStranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Phantom Zone
Posts: 20,488
Re: Parents giving kids rediculous names

Misspelling a common name is plain stupid and does no one any good.

It's fine if you take a name or word from another language for a name. Making up stuff largely guarantees your child will end up going by a nickname in school.
PhantomStranger is offline  
Old 09-27-16, 03:48 PM
  #39  
DVD Talk Legend
 
AGuyNamedMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Posts: 15,003
Re: Parents giving kids rediculous names

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
In almost twenty years in Pediatrics, I've seen some names that would really make you cry. I feel so bad for kids who have a terrible name -- it's not their fault and it will follow them for at least 18 years and probably their whole life causing people to unfairly judge them because their folks were idiots who thought they were being clever. The ones that are the worst are common names re-spelled in ways that don't obey the rules of the English language. Everyone will mispronounce the kid's name the first time they see him -- EVERYONE.

Anyway, I think it's not a HIPAA violation to tell this one story :
Many years ago, I had this patient, a nice little boy with very young, high-school-attending parents. They were sweet, but young and not super-knowledgeable. I got along very well with them. Well one day a couple of years later, they had a second child, another boy. I went to the nursery to see the baby. He had a name tag on the crib that said "I'm A Boy! My Name is : GAUGE". I called a nurse over and asked her "Did they really spell his name like that?" She said that yes, they did.
Now if it were a first-time parent or someone I didn't know well, I would have just let it be. But like I said, I knew these very young parents and we got along very well. So when I brought the baby back into mother's room, after giving all the discharge instructions, I very casually said "One more thing, I'm not even sure if I should mention this, but... well, the boy's name 'Gage'... is usually spelled G-A-G-E. The spelling G-A-U-G-E is usually to describe a piece of machinery like a tire gauge or a pressure gauge. I just wanted to make sure you spelled it the way you wanted". There was a moment of silence and I felt horrible thinking that I just insulted the Hell out of this nice couple. Then the mother, in bed, turned and punched her boyfriend in the chest -- hard!-- as she yelled at him "I told you so!". He didn't acknowledge the punch at all. He immediately turned to me and sheepishly asked "Is it too late to change it?" I smiled and said "No, not at all. I'll send in a nurse right away to fix that on the paperwork". I still chuckle when I think of that kid and how I may have saved him from a lifetime of embarrassment.
You're a hero for stepping up and pointing that out to them. I'd hazard to guess that a decent fraction of young parents would correct the name if someone simply brought it up at the right time.
AGuyNamedMike is online now  
Old 09-27-16, 04:25 PM
  #40  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Posts: 15,477
Re: Parents giving kids rediculous names

Originally Posted by rbrown498 View Post
Those parents ought to just put the stripper poles on layaway now.
I heard a comedian do a bit that was like, "The kids already have stripper names these days. In the future when Deztiny and Misstyy become strippers they're going to change their names to Nancy and Margaret. And it'll be hot! Your going to be waving your $100 bills for Gertrude! Yeah baby!"
Mabuse is offline  
Old 09-27-16, 04:43 PM
  #41  
DVD Talk Legend
 
bunkaroo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Chicago West Suburbs
Posts: 15,427
Re: Parents giving kids rediculous names

I miss the days of names like Myrtle and Blanche and names derived from male names like Georgette.
bunkaroo is offline  
Old 09-27-16, 05:08 PM
  #42  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Decker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Vegas, Baby!
Posts: 40,745
Re: Parents giving kids rediculous names

From the movie Freakonomics :







Decker is offline  
Old 09-27-16, 08:03 PM
  #43  
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 21,582
Re: Parents giving kids rediculous names

Originally Posted by TomOpus View Post
Your family must be full of boring, vanilla names.
You mean like "Tom?"
creekdipper is offline  
Old 09-27-16, 08:20 PM
  #44  
DVD Talk Legend
 
LurkerDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: The People's Republic of Boulder
Posts: 21,546
Re: Parents giving kids rediculous names

I went with one of the "old" names when naming my daughter. I actually looked at the Social Security website for most popular names by decade, and started with the 1880s and up through the 1930s. Ended up with Lillian.
LurkerDan is offline  
Old 09-27-16, 08:33 PM
  #45  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Posts: 15,477
Re: Parents giving kids rediculous names

Originally Posted by LurkerDan View Post
I went with one of the "old" names when naming my daughter. I actually looked at the Social Security website for most popular names by decade, and started with the 1880s and up through the 1930s. Ended up with Lillian.
Jokes on you. Lillian was the #1 stripper name of the 1920's.

And in 1933 a woman named Lillian Schlemly invented the poll.
Mabuse is offline  
Old 09-27-16, 08:57 PM
  #46  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
JTH182's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 5,056
Re: Parents giving kids rediculous names

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
In almost twenty years in Pediatrics, I've seen some names that would really make you cry. I feel so bad for kids who have a terrible name -- it's not their fault and it will follow them for at least 18 years and probably their whole life causing people to unfairly judge them because their folks were idiots who thought they were being clever. The ones that are the worst are common names re-spelled in ways that don't obey the rules of the English language. Everyone will mispronounce the kid's name the first time they see him -- EVERYONE.

Anyway, I think it's not a HIPAA violation to tell this one story :
Many years ago, I had this patient, a nice little boy with very young, high-school-attending parents. They were sweet, but young and not super-knowledgeable. I got along very well with them. Well one day a couple of years later, they had a second child, another boy. I went to the nursery to see the baby. He had a name tag on the crib that said "I'm A Boy! My Name is : GAUGE". I called a nurse over and asked her "Did they really spell his name like that?" She said that yes, they did.
Now if it were a first-time parent or someone I didn't know well, I would have just let it be. But like I said, I knew these very young parents and we got along very well. So when I brought the baby back into mother's room, after giving all the discharge instructions, I very casually said "One more thing, I'm not even sure if I should mention this, but... well, the boy's name 'Gage'... is usually spelled G-A-G-E. The spelling G-A-U-G-E is usually to describe a piece of machinery like a tire gauge or a pressure gauge. I just wanted to make sure you spelled it the way you wanted". There was a moment of silence and I felt horrible thinking that I just insulted the Hell out of this nice couple. Then the mother, in bed, turned and punched her boyfriend in the chest -- hard!-- as she yelled at him "I told you so!". He didn't acknowledge the punch at all. He immediately turned to me and sheepishly asked "Is it too late to change it?" I smiled and said "No, not at all. I'll send in a nurse right away to fix that on the paperwork". I still chuckle when I think of that kid and how I may have saved him from a lifetime of embarrassment.


I thought you were going to say the father was a fan of the porn star, lol
JTH182 is offline  
Old 09-27-16, 09:04 PM
  #47  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Posts: 1,589
Re: Parents giving kids rediculous names

Originally Posted by Living Dead View Post
A family member works as a substitute teacher. He occasionally emails me some of the more hilarious names he comes across. This year's gems so far...

Juztyce
Peavey
Cashew
Forever
Hashtag

And the winner: Susej (Jesus in reverse). To make this one even better, the kid pronounced his name "sausage".
These are as bad as Espn. There is a reason some country's have judges approve children's names or have a long list of acceptable name.
Kdogg is offline  
Old 09-27-16, 09:15 PM
  #48  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
tommyp007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Kingsport, TN
Posts: 5,600
Re: Parents giving kids rediculous names

When we found out we were having a daughter, my wife wanted to name her Aurelia. I said no, it will be mispronounced and misspelled her entire life, and I wanted an old fashioned, easy name. So I won the argument and our kid is named Dana Katherine.
tommyp007 is online now  
Old 09-27-16, 09:35 PM
  #49  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
DaveWadding's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 3,876
Re: Parents giving kids rediculous names

My sister is one of these. Named her first India Jean (legally her first name; supposed to be some callback on "Indiana Jones," we haven't called her Indy since she was like 6 though). And now my sister is pregnant again with a boy and she's going with "Killian Zane," and I'm like, soooo this kid is a beer. Right.
DaveWadding is offline  
Old 09-27-16, 09:48 PM
  #50  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: MA
Posts: 5,718
Re: Parents giving kids rediculous names

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
Jokes on you. Lillian was the #1 stripper name of the 1920's.

And in 1933 a woman named Lillian Schlemly invented the poll.
And for that, Twikoff is grateful.
Deadman31 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.