Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

You can now run some red lights in Pennsylvania

Other Talk "Otterville"

Old 09-21-16, 07:44 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I guess I can kind of see the point. Wouldn't it make more sense to look at adjusting the sensors though? Maybe that's easier said than done. It'll be interesting to see (hopefully not tragically so) if there are more accidents now.

http://www.wgal.com/news/ride-on-red...ights/40835756

PENNSYLVANIA —A new law in Pennsylvania is allowing drivers to go through some red lights.

The bill, called "Ride on Red," has been signed into law by Gov. Tom Wolf. It allows drivers to exercise "due care" and make a decision to legally go through a red light.

The bill was proposed because motorcycles typically do not trigger traffic light sensors that make lights turn from red to green.

Now, when a traffic signal is unresponsive to a driver, the driver can legally drive through the red light, rather than waiting at the intersection.

The bill was initially only for motorcycle riders, but was expanded to include other vehicles.

It was signed into law on July 20th and takes effect in 60 days.

Read more from State Rep. Stephen Bloom of Cumberland County who proposed the bill:

"Gov. Tom Wolf Wednesday signed into law legislation including provisions, authored by Rep. Stephen Bloom (R-Cumberland), to give motorcyclists and other drivers the option to proceed with caution through an intersection when trapped at an unresponsive traffic light.

Bloom’s House bill language allows drivers of all vehicles the option to proceed with caution through an intersection when a traffic signal is unresponsive, only after exercising due care as provided by law.

“If the vehicle detection system fails to recognize the vehicle and the driver has come to a complete stop, the driver must then make sure it is safe to continue, and only then would they be able to lawfully proceed with caution through the intersection,” Bloom explained.

Originally intended only for motorcycles, which often fail to trigger traffic lights due to their smaller size, the bill was expanded to apply to all vehicles.

Deemed “Ride on Red,” Bloom added that the goal of the legislation is to solve practical problems while ensuring safety.

“This law does not give drivers a free pass, but ensures a safe and legal option to avoid the danger and inconvenience of being trapped in perpetuity at a locked red light,” Bloom said. “This issue is more common than many people realize, especially on rural roads or during late hours when long periods often elapse before a heavier vehicle comes along to finally trip the unresponsive light.”

Signed into law as part of Act 101, the new law takes effect in 60 days."
Old 09-21-16, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 2,046 Likes on 1,316 Posts
Re: You can now run some red lights in Pennsylvania

Fantastic idea! Nothing bad could possibly happen as a result of this new law.
Old 09-21-16, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 877 Likes on 608 Posts

If it's good enough for the author of The Right Stuff, it's good enough for me!
Old 09-21-16, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 503 Likes on 334 Posts

I've had to do that before. If I wait two minutes and the green light isn't getting triggered by my motorcycle, I'll treat the red light like a stop sign. Look both ways and go.

Legally, I'm supposed to get off my bike, run over to the pedestrian crossing button, press the button, and run back to my bike. I don't do that.
Old 09-21-16, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The bill was initially only for motorcycle riders, but was expanded to include other vehicles.

Originally intended only for motorcycles, which often fail to trigger traffic lights due to their smaller size, the bill was expanded to apply to all vehicles

I really hate it when it's obvious that an article has copied/pasted from two different sources, as they repeat the same fucking line in a slightly different way.
Old 09-21-16, 09:30 AM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 164 Likes on 124 Posts

It's a great idea, that if implemented properly could alleviate a lot of Southern California traffic, but Southern Californians are so fucking dumb and such shitty drivers that it would be chaos.
Old 09-21-16, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

Waiting for the inevitable lawsuit after this causes a crash.
Old 09-21-16, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought it was always a kind of unspoken thing that if a light doesn't change, you just wait til it's safe and run it. Hard to believe people really just sit there indefinitely staring at an unchanging light. This law will have people waiting for 10 seconds and then running the lights with the excuse that they thought it wasn't going to change.
Old 09-21-16, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Living Dead View Post
I thought it was always a kind of unspoken thing that if a light doesn't change, you just wait til it's safe and run it. Hard to believe people really just sit there indefinitely staring at an unchanging light. This law will have people waiting for 10 seconds and then running the lights with the excuse that they thought it wasn't going to change.
In my city, we have a ton of red light cameras, so you'd get a ticket if you go through.

There is one light that will sometimes not budge until there are cars waiting on both sides, and it's right next to a neighborhood police building (that no police are ever present at), and I'm just not ballsy enough to roll through that light.
Old 09-21-16, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 503 Likes on 334 Posts

Given that some towns have speed traps or trick stop lights that are only yellow for one second, it makes sense that there are towns that have stop lights which don't readily turn green and which generate lots of citations.

Sometimes these sort of abuses are addressed by the state government. When Gary Johnson was governor, he ordered some towns to close their speed traps. Maybe Pennsylvania is doing something similar.
Old 09-21-16, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 177 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
I've had to do that before. If I wait two minutes and the green light isn't getting triggered by my motorcycle, I'll treat the red light like a stop sign. Look both ways and go.

Legally, I'm supposed to get off my bike, run over to the pedestrian crossing button, press the button, and run back to my bike. I don't do that.
I've done that a few times.
Old 09-21-16, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 149 Likes on 111 Posts

This law will have people waiting for 10 seconds and then running the lights with the excuse that they thought it wasn't going to change.
that's what I wonder, when does this law come into play? how long do you have to wait to decide that the signal is unresponsive?
Old 09-21-16, 11:08 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 192 Likes on 114 Posts

I can run red lights now? Cool!
Old 09-21-16, 11:26 AM

Location: Stuck in traffic on the 5 fwy somewhere in Los Angeles
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I run red lights all the time! Especially left hand turn lane lights. Obviously I have a check list: little to no traffic, no one behind me to accidentally follow me through a light thinking it had turned green, and head on a swivel looking for police.

I've been doing this for 20+ years and have never gotten a ticket. My wife constantly gives me shit, especially about those left hand turn lights. And I always say to her, half the left hand turn lights in Los Angeles are the yield to traffic type so we already do this move all the time. So, why should I have to sit like a retarded person waiting for the light to cycle when there is absolutely no traffic coming in the opposite direction? And then when we successfully make it thru the intersection I ask her, did we get pulled over, did we die in a tragic accident?

I applaud Pennsylvania Governor Tom Wolf for allowing this to happen. Eventually, hopefully other States will smarten up as well.
Old 09-21-16, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 101 Likes on 80 Posts

Yea. I do this sometimes. Usually in very early morning. I have to be able to see everything, or I won't go. But sometimes I'm sitting at a left turn. It's (usually) before 5AM and NOBODY is on the street. And I don't want to wait a minute or two for the lights to change.
Old 09-21-16, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 148 Likes on 105 Posts

Huh, with one stroke of a pen he has absolved the state and municipalities from having to FIX THE DAMN SENSORS!
Old 09-21-16, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hal9000 View Post
I run red lights all the time! Especially left hand turn lane lights. Obviously I have a check list: little to no traffic, no one behind me to accidentally follow me through a light thinking it had turned green, and head on a swivel looking for police.
This is pretty much what I do. Only very early in the morning or very late at night when there's no one around but the lights are red anyway. There's very few (if any) camera lights in my city so that's not a worry. I never run them during busy times or at intersections where other vehicles are present. An empty street is pretty much the only time a light won't trip anyway.

I admit that it's mainly impatience. Why sit there and wait for no reason? As long as it's done safely, I never saw a problem with it even though it's technically illegal. That's apparently the attitude of the new PA law. I think they've simply underestimated the stupidity of the average driver.
Old 09-21-16, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 67 Likes on 57 Posts

I ran into this problem a few times on my sportbike. All it took was attaching a really strong magnet, from that point on I never got hung up at a stoplight again.
Old 09-21-16, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 233 Likes on 193 Posts

I can appreciate the annoyance, as I ride and have to wait for lights, fairly often. However, this sounds like it has too much potential for abuse.

I have gone through a light, but in a lot of circumstances, you can turn right (assuming that's allowed on a red), then either make a u-turn (also where allowed), or turn into a driveway/parking lot to turn around, then turn right from that street.

I remember hearing about some people fastening a piece of metal pipe to the front of their bike to cause the sensor to trip more readily. Since I ride a dirt bike, this is not an option.
Old 09-21-16, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 352 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
It's a great idea, that if implemented properly could alleviate a lot of Southern California traffic, but Southern Californians are so fucking dumb and such shitty drivers that it would be chaos.
I look at it a different way. When you consider the sheer number of drivers (especially at rush hour), I'm amazed there aren't 20,000 accidents a day. I think it shows that most drivers are pretty good.
Old 09-21-16, 04:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by TomOpus View Post
I look at it a different way. When you consider the sheer number of drivers (especially at rush hour), I'm amazed there aren't 20,000 accidents a day. I think it shows that most drivers are pretty good.
No, they're all on auto-pilot, mindlessly steering and doing what the lights tell them. Doing something like mindfully running a red light arrow requires you to awaken from your daydream, look around, focus, be fully aware. Most of the drivers here are unable to do that.
Old 09-21-16, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 352 Likes on 257 Posts

I thought it was always a kind of unspoken thing that if a light doesn't change, you just wait til it's safe and run it. Hard to believe people really just sit there indefinitely staring at an unchanging light.
One time at night I was at a red light where the sensor wouldn't detect the first car waiting unless it was really close to the front line (it was a stoplight I was familiar with and I knew about this). Well, the dumbass at the front was way too far back and the light just wasn't changing (we were all in the left hand turn lane, you could either go left or right, not straight). I was about five cars back and no one was moving for what seemed like at least five minutes. Meanwhile, there was zero traffic on the road that had the green light. Finally, I slowly moved into the right hand turn lane, got to the front of the line, made sure there was no traffic (or cops) and went through the red, turning left in front of the guy waiting in front. I didn't know what else to do, as I went down the road, I occasionally glanced in my rear view mirror and everyone else was still just sitting there, as far as I know they might still be waiting there now.
Old 09-21-16, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 831 Likes on 656 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
There would be so much road rage and honking at red lights , even more so than there are now.
Old 09-21-16, 06:09 PM
Banned

Well, we currently allow right hand turns on a red light. But if you do it in my neighborhood I smash your car with my skateboard.
Old 09-21-16, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 263 Likes on 197 Posts

I sat at a light years back in the middle of the night with no cars around for almost 5 minutes and then I just went. I got a $300 ticket for it.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.