Reload this Page >

Anyone here have get a colonoscopy?

Other Talk "Otterville"

Old 09-07-16, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 63 Likes on 52 Posts

I schedule to get my first colonoscopy on Friday. My doctor recommend I get one because of my age (60) and my mom's death from colon cancer. Kind of nervous about it, I know I been sedated during the procedure. 5-day before the procedure I have to take a couple packets of MiralLax after lunch for three days, today I have to use 4 packets and go on a soft and liquid diet. Tomorrow is going to suck cause only liquid diet, plus I have to drink a half gallon of Nulytely. Then Friday morning drink the rest 6 hours prior to my scheduled appointment which is 3:30. I let you all know how it turn out after my exam.
Old 09-07-16, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Anyone here have get a colonoscopy?

No, and I'm not looking forward to it in 5 years
Old 09-07-16, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Yep. Did it earlier this year for the first time. Dead easy. Even the prep isn't as bad as people make it out to be. The procedure itself is totally painless. I have a hazy memory of looking at some equipment at one point, but I was pretty much out for the whole thing I think.
It really isn't a big deal at all.
Old 09-07-16, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Just had my first one two weeks ago. Day prior was liquid only diet. And I was prescribed the Suprep kit to clean me out, the evening before the procedure drink the 6oz of suprep solution with 48 ounces of water over an hour. Then do the same thing the morning of the procedure. Everybody complains how terrible that part is, but I had a bout of norovirus earlier this year and anything is better than that.

The procedure itself was nothing. Only discomfort was the IV and feeling so run down and tired afterward. I had mine at noon and slept for the rest of the afternoon. It took the better part of a week for my bowels to get back to normal, I felt so bloated.

Won't need another for 10 years.
Old 09-07-16, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah did it two years ago. I woke up near the end and saw them going through my colon on the screen. Looked clean as a whistle. Best part was after not eating for a day I was able to splurge and eat a big burger.

Last edited by cungar; 09-07-16 at 11:24 AM.
Old 09-07-16, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 137 Likes on 87 Posts

I was asleep during mine because I also had an endoscopy done. Got it done because of some abdominal pain. Diagnosis was mild IBS.

Last edited by inri222; 09-07-16 at 11:22 AM.
Old 09-07-16, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 218 Likes on 180 Posts

Yep. I've had about 4, now.

I find the prep the worst, by far, though some preps aren't as bad as others. The 4 litre jug of Peg-Lyte was the most hated.

The procedure itself, varies. First time I only had mild sedation, so I watched the procedure, but it was fairly uncomfortable. The other times I was completely out. I believe they used Propofol, which is an awesome drug. Very little grogginess when you wake up. Although it's apparently the drug that killed Michael Jackson.

Out of 4 procedures, I've had a polyp removed during two of them. First time it was the type that could potentially turn cancerous, second time it was a completely benign type. As a result of the first one, I get to have a colonoscopy every 5 years. As much as I dislike it, it potentially saved my life, so I won't complain.
Old 09-07-16, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by andicus View Post
I find the prep the worst, by far, though some preps aren't as bad as others. The 4 litre jug of Peg-Lyte was the most hated.
Yep, I've had it done twice, once with this prep and it's TERRIBLE. Drinking four litres of a disgusting, greasy liquid that makes you want to gag and throw up. The prep I had the other time wasn't bad at all, had to drink a couple small bottles of something that cleans you out the night before. I think the trick is to have the procedure done first thing in the morning. If you don't get it done until later morning/early afternoon, you get the Peg-Lyte (depends on the doctor too, I guess).

The procedure itself is a piece of cake, the second time they gave me good drugs and I was out cold through the whole thing.
Old 09-07-16, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 335 Likes on 246 Posts

Is it done due to age or age along with a family history of cancer? I was adopted so I have no clue as to family history.
Old 09-07-16, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus View Post
Is it done due to age or age along with a family history of cancer? I was adopted so I have no clue as to family history.
For most people with no family history they recommend doing it starting at 50 and then every decade or so depending on the results.. With a family history, they recommend starting earlier and more frequently.
Old 09-07-16, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 126 Posts

I have ulcerative colitis, and as such have colonoscopies performed every 3 years or so (2010, 2013, and a week from Friday coming up). I'm "only" 45 but my condition puts me at a higher risk for colon cancer so in they go to check out the plumbing. Anyway, they're a piece of cake. The preparation is INFINITELY worse than the procedure, which I usually spend sedated. But yeah, that day before? Prepare to turn into a human garden sprinkler for a few hours.

The Suprep cleaning is infinitely better than the 64 ounces of Durolax/Gatorade mix you have to drink in two hours.
Old 09-07-16, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by TomOpus View Post
In my case, i had some bleeding (turned out to be likely hemorrhoids) so my doctor recommended it. As it happens, it was a good thing, since that's the time they found a potentially cancerous polyp. If I had waited until I was 50 to have it, I would very possibly have developed colon cancer.
Old 09-07-16, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 335 Likes on 246 Posts

Good thing they found that . Thanks for the info.
Old 09-07-16, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by cungar View Post
For most people with no family history they recommend doing it starting at 50 and then every decade or so depending on the results.. With a family history, they recommend starting earlier and more frequently.
This. For no family history and no adverse results (after they start doing them) @50 and every 10 years. Depending on risk factor, they may go to a 5 year or 3 year schedule. Normally the doctor will determine and recommend the interval to you. In my case, I had polyps last time and I am now on a 5 year schedule.

My doctor likes the Golytely prep, trust me, it's a lie, you go heavily after drinking 4 liters of vile liquid. (2 rounds of 2 L). He used to use a "twilight" anesthetic and you could watch on monitor (I never had any pain) but he has switched anesthetics and now totally puts you out. I go in a couple of weeks.
Old 09-07-16, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

When I complained to my family doctor about the PegLyte crap, he just said that any doctor that prescribes it never actually had to drink that shit. My mom had it before and warned me how bad it tasted, I thought she was exaggerating, but holy fuck it was bad. And four liters of it (two the night before, two the day of). The only way I could get through it was with every chug I took of it, I chased it with a big sip of ginger ale. That made it slightly more tolerable...
Old 09-07-16, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I had one a few years back. The prep was worse than the procedure itself, and even that wasn't that bad.
Old 09-08-16, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by cultshock View Post
When I complained to my family doctor about the PegLyte crap, he just said that any doctor that prescribes it never actually had to drink that shit. My mom had it before and warned me how bad it tasted, I thought she was exaggerating, but holy fuck it was bad. And four liters of it (two the night before, two the day of). The only way I could get through it was with every chug I took of it, I chased it with a big sip of ginger ale. That made it slightly more tolerable...
Last time I had it, I made it about 3/4 of the way through (all 4 litres at once) and I chugged a glass and felt my stomach retaliating. I tried so hard to keep it down, but it came out like water from a fire hose.

I still managed to choke the rest down.
Old 09-08-16, 01:09 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Just had one last week. Like everyone says, the prep is the worst part.

I had to drink the 4 liter GoLytely mix which is what I imagine anti freeze tastes like. I was scheduled first thing in the morning so I started drinking 3 liters at 4:30pm and then the last liter at 3:30am.

Make sure you are near a toilet when you start drinking because you will start peeing out of your ass in no time. I peed out of my butt off and on for hours until I stopped drinking that dreck.

Also it's handy to wear old junky clothing in case you don't make it to the toilet in time. It also helps to have wet wipes nearby because you will be dripping liquid poop all over your ass.

The actual procedure was a piece of cake if they knock you out. You might wake up with a sore ass and no memory of what happened, kind of like Bill Cosby's victims. Mine results were clean (literally, the doctor praised my prep work). Good luck and enjoy the pooping!
Old 09-08-16, 01:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by xraybies View Post
Mine results were clean (literally, the doctor praised my prep work).
I remember telling my doctor just before I went under that I apologize in advance if I didn't get everything out. He just laughed and said "No problem, we're used to that!" Honestly, I think if you are in that line of work you need to have a sense of humor about the whole thing.
Old 09-08-16, 03:18 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 61 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by dom56 View Post
5-day before the procedure I have to take a couple packets of MiralLax after lunch for three days, today I have to use 4 packets and go on a soft and liquid diet. Tomorrow is going to suck cause only liquid diet, plus I have to drink a half gallon of Nulytely. Then Friday morning drink the rest 6 hours prior to my scheduled appointment
Man, that's a lot of prep time. I've had two colonoscopies so far and the prep was just the day before the procedure--bottle of Miralax mixed in with some non-red sports drink and no food. As for the procedure, I like to stay awake and watch the doctor do his job...and watch to make sure the nurses don't lift some cash out of my wallet!

The procedure is overblown by some people as being a big ordeal. Watch the movie Ghost Town to see what you're in for.
Old 09-08-16, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 107 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by xraybies View Post
Mine results were clean (literally, the doctor praised my prep work). Good luck and enjoy the pooping!
I remember telling my doctor just before I went under that I apologize in advance if I didn't get everything out. He just laughed and said "No problem, we're used to that!" Honestly, I think if you are in that line of work you need to have a sense of humor about the whole thing.
I had a lower GI performed about 10 years ago and I went through the prep as well -- "night of a thousand waterfalls" certainly lived up to its name. When I signed in for my exam the desk staff didn't expect that I would show up since they saw "35-year-old male" on their list. The nurse was skeptical when I replied that I had done the prep but after my quick x-ray check she happily stated, "Clean as a whistle!"
Old 09-08-16, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Honestly, I think if you are in that line of work you need to have a sense of humor about the whole thing.
I asked the staff if they'd washed the camera after the last guy. That got a few laughs.
Old 09-08-16, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Phodg View Post
I asked the staff if they'd washed the camera after the last guy. That got a few laughs.
Since everyone is so clean, they don't need to.
Old 09-08-16, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 63 Likes on 52 Posts

Well, I just drank my first dose of PEG-3350 and it wasn't that bad. It had a lemon-lime flavor to it. I was dreaded on drinking the stuff after hearing people complaining about the horrible taste. Now I have to wait another 10 min. and drinking another dose.
Old 09-08-16, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 426 Likes on 315 Posts

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.