Reload this Page >

Anyone here have get a colonoscopy?

Other Talk "Otterville"

Anyone here have get a colonoscopy?

Old 12-29-16, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
Re: Anyone here have get a colonoscopy?

Yeah, this prep is no fun. It reminds me of the time I had some major food poisoning! I now have to hang out in a room all day close to where the bathroom is. It took 2.5 hours for everything to kick in this afternoon!
Old 12-29-16, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 404 Likes on 317 Posts

Think yourself lucky. Citromag is a walk in the park compared to the disgusting 4 litres of nasty stuff you have to drink (in 2 hours) for another type of prep.

Best of luck with your scope.
Old 12-30-16, 01:20 PM

Well I survived. They found one polyp way deep in my lower intestine. The doc said it looks like a "clean" one and not to worry too much but sent it off to the lab to get checked.

And because of that I have to go back in 5 years to get checked again.

And also my brother and sister HAVE to go get checked now because of me and mine and also especially after I mentioned to my doc my dad and his that they found.

My sister wasn't too happy when the doc told her (since she took me in), but she knows it has to get done! All I could do was apologize to her for it!

But I feel fine. Not sore or gassy at all. Just get to spend the rest of the day relaxing - and eating(!) on the couch for the rest of the day!
Old 12-30-16, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Just some roadwork maintenance on the Hershey Highway. Nothing to be too afraid of.
Old 12-30-16, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Took my mom to get hers last week. Unfortunately they said she had "bad prep" and has to do it again next week, only she has to start the liquid diet/laxatives a day earlier this time. I know she followed the protocol to the letter and the doc said it just happens with some people, but the term "bad prep" sure sounds like they are assigning blame to the patient.
Old 12-30-16, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 521 Likes on 245 Posts

Having my first one on February 1st. I've been putting it off since I turned 50 in July 2015.
Old 12-31-16, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 91 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by mickey65 View Post
Well I survived. They found one polyp way deep in my lower intestine. The doc said it looks like a "clean" one and not to worry too much but sent it off to the lab to get checked.

And because of that I have to go back in 5 years to get checked again.

And also my brother and sister HAVE to go get checked now because of me and mine and also especially after I mentioned to my doc my dad and his that they found.

My sister wasn't too happy when the doc told her (since she took me in), but she knows it has to get done! All I could do was apologize to her for it!

But I feel fine. Not sore or gassy at all. Just get to spend the rest of the day relaxing - and eating(!) on the couch for the rest of the day!
Glad to hear you made it thru. Pretty sure your report will be good.
Old 12-31-16, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by dom56 View Post
Glad to hear you made it thru. Pretty sure your report will be good.
I'm pretty sure I'm all good. He wouldn't have told me to come back in 5 years if he knew it was a "bad" one. After cutting thousands of those things out of folks over the years I'm pretty sure the docs "know" what the bad ones look like before they go under the microscope!
Old 12-31-16, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by Vibiana View Post
Having my first one on February 1st. I've been putting it off since I turned 50 in July 2015.
I'll be 52 in March - so I tried putting mine off too but my doctor really got on me to get it over and done with! I'm glad that I did - especially after they found one. Just nice having that peace of mind now and knowing I'm all good! And its very true girl, the prep IS the worst part!
Old 12-31-16, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mickey65 View Post
I'm pretty sure I'm all good. He wouldn't have told me to come back in 5 years if he knew it was a "bad" one. After cutting thousands of those things out of folks over the years I'm pretty sure the docs "know" what the bad ones look like before they go under the microscope!
My wife has a cancer history in the family plus she has had polyps during her procedure so she has to go every few years. If they think you are clean they give you 5 or even 10 between visits.
Old 02-28-17, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

They had to reschedule mine for tomorrow because my insurance didn't authorize it in time. I've taken one dose of the Suprep and watched Trump's address to the joint houses of congress. If the medicine hadn't cleaned the shit out of me, that speech would've.

Wish me luck tomorrow! The other half of the Suprep is for in the morning. Tastes sort of like Sweet Tarts, only really strong with a salty undertone.
Old 02-28-17, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^I thought you meant you'd taken one dose, and then they let you know it would be rescheduled to a different day. That would suck.

Good luck, tomorrow!
Old 02-28-17, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It was originally scheduled for February 1. They called me about half an hour before I would have taken the evening dose. Yeesh.
Old 03-01-17, 10:48 AM
Banned

Wish me luck tomorrow! The other half of the Suprep is for in the morning. Tastes sort of like Sweet Tarts, only really strong with a salty undertone.
Hope you get another clean bill of health, Vib.

Having just recently gone through the prep, your accurate description of the Suprep made me reflexively shudder. Mine sort of had a grape popsickle/kool-aid flavor.

They didn't make me count backward from 100 this time. I just said, "Let 'er buck," they started the injection, and the next thing I knew I was waking up in recovery.

Last edited by creekdipper; 03-01-17 at 06:00 PM.
Old 03-01-17, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

They had to reschedule mine for tomorrow because my insurance didn't authorize it in time. I've taken one dose of the Suprep and watched Trump's address to the joint houses of congress. If the medicine hadn't cleaned the shit out of me, that speech would've.

Good luck.

The first time my mom mixed miralax with water and had trouble getting it all down, but eventually finished it. The second time she mixed it with lime gatorade, said it tasted a lot better and had no problems finishing it. Also I think one of the reasons she had bad prep the first time was that she barely ate/drank anything during her prep. Because the second time was over 2 days she got a bunch of broth and some jello and was regularly eating/drinking so she was wasn't just emptying out, but also flushing the system.

I've been dealing with her insurance, Humana, over the first one she had back in Dec. They paid for the hospital and anesthesiologist but denied the claim by the doctor saying she needed a referral/authorization because he was out of network. Her family doctor's office is part of the hospital that did the procedure and they don't know what the problem is. Neither side seems to be able to sort it out, or even talk to each other, so I'm stuck in the middle trying to get things done and I have no idea how their billing systems work.

I hate our whole health care/insurance set up so much. I almost threw my phone at one point when the Humana rep said: "Well, you know it's up to the hospital to get this sorted right? If they don't get it done they won't get paid." I'm like "Who do you think they are going to send the bill to if you guys don't pay it?"

Thankfully my mother switched to a different insurance company on Jan 1st so the second procedure went through the new company. I made sure the hospital double checked with the new insurance company before it was done and they said everything was fully covered.

Last edited by wmansir; 03-01-17 at 12:17 PM.
Old 03-01-17, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

All done. They found five polyps, one that looked precancerous, so they're sending it for biopsy, but the doc didn't seem really concerned about it so I won't be either until I learn more. They do want me to plan on every five years instead of every ten. Joy, joy.

Overall the process was a lot less yucky than I feared, and I actually had kind of a good time in the procedure room by joking with the anesthesiologist that I was allergic to everything but propofol, Dilaudid, and Demerol.
Old 03-01-17, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Five polyps? Good thing you went, then! Even if it is precancerous, they've removed it, so you should be good.

Propofol is the shit! (okay, mild context pun intended) Works great, and you don't feel awful when you come out of it.

Of course, it also killed Michael Jackson, but under proper care it's very safe.
Old 03-01-17, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Not sure what I was giving when I went for the prep, only I was sedated and not knocked out but I was never in any pain.
Old 03-01-17, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 242 Likes on 189 Posts

I'm still 17 years away from 50, but I have a couple question. Is it standard to be put to sleep for the procedure? I don't like being chemically put to sleep. I don't want to be like Ricky Gervais in Ghost Town and wake up seeing ghosts.
Old 03-01-17, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's not like a general anesthesia where you're in recovery for hours. It's a light sleep. The only aftereffect I'm seeing now is, my glands on either side of my neck are swollen as if I have mumps. I'm not even sure that's from the anesthesia--the prep is pretty dehydrating.
Old 03-01-17, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by lwhy? View Post
I'm still 17 years away from 50, but I have a couple question. Is it standard to be put to sleep for the procedure? I don't like being chemically put to sleep. I don't want to be like Ricky Gervais in Ghost Town and wake up seeing ghosts.
For me it felt liked being stoned You may feel tube in your intestine but you won't be any pain. You do need someone to drive you home cause the drug effect can make you impaired to driving by yourself.
Old 03-02-17, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

First time for me was what they call "twilight" anesthesia. I was awake and watched the procedure on the monitor.

Subsequent times, I've been out every time. As Vibs said, very light, but out. No after effects. I've never had swollen glands afterwards.
Old 03-02-17, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by andicus View Post
First time for me was what they call "twilight" anesthesia. I was awake and watched the procedure on the monitor.

Subsequent times, I've been out every time. As Vibs said, very light, but out. No after effects. I've never had swollen glands afterwards.
I have a call in to my primary care doc this morning to make sure it's nothing to be concerned about. I did some research online last night and there was one medical journal publication that mentioned it--in connection with the lateral decubitus position that you're in when they do the colonoscopy. Several other links I found suggested that it could be caused by being intubated for anesthesia, but I don't remember them putting anything in my mouth unless they did it after the propofol was administered.

Overall, I'm glad it's over with for another five years. And glad it went so smoothly. After last year's medical catastrophes, with over $365K in medical bills, this was a walk in the park with a pink duck.
Old 03-02-17, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 669 Likes on 471 Posts

First time, I wasn't completely out, and remember feeling some cramping when they blew some air into my colon (they do this to expand the "corners" to make sure no polyps are hiding in there). Second time I was out cold, but as others mentioned, it was a light sleep with no after effects at all for me.
Old 10-21-19, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That time again as I'm getting my second colonoscopy in a couple of days. Prep is pretty much the same as my last one, must be on liquid diet one day before procedure. The instructions I read did say I can have eggs, cheese for breakfast. Doesn't say if eggs be cooked regular or scrambled. Looking forward on drinking a gallon of Nulytely for two days.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.