Anyone here have get a colonoscopy?

Other Talk "Otterville"

Anyone here have get a colonoscopy?

Old 09-08-16, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 744 Likes on 533 Posts
Re: Anyone here have get a colonoscopy?

Originally Posted by Abob Teff View Post
Heh, I actually considered intentionally spelling the word like that just for shits and giggles.
Old 09-09-16, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

A tip I found online, use a straw to drink the stuff.
You bypass the tongue and it doesn't taste so bad.
Old 09-09-16, 12:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had one before. I had an endoscopy at the time. Not a big deal. After talking with others I heard the prep was bad. I didn't find it too horrible. Of course I was extremely sick at the time and wasn't eating much.

Prepping for 6 days is a little weird. I basically took 2 laxatives and and to drink a gallon of Gatorade with laxative mixed in the day before and a little the day of.

I agree with another poster, I was wiped for the rest of the day. My procedure was around 10am. I ate after and slept until 10pm, woke up for a little bit and then slept the rest of the night. They call it a 'Twilight" sleep but I was out cold. I had propofol, which is damn good before you pass out. You can feel it take over your body and then lights out. I had another procedure and I was given propofol again, this time I knew what to expect. Right before I passed out I told the Dr "don't screw it up!"

The blotting and gas after is the worst part. I made them take me to the bathroom because I thought I was going to soil myself. I assured me I wouldn't but I still wanted a little privacy while I farted for 10 minutes.

Overall, not bad.
Old 09-09-16, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 492 Likes on 300 Posts

Oh yeah, that post-op assurance to "fart away, we don't mind" from the surgical/hospital staff isn't convincing at ALL.
Old 09-09-16, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 96 Likes on 76 Posts

I just finish my exam today and the results were I had a couple of benign neoplasm, second-degree hemorrhoids, diverticulosis of large intestine which mean I got to start on a high fiber diet. Overall, the staff were great and didn't have any problem during the procedure. I was sedated but didn't pass out, I could have watch my inside on the monitor but one quick look was enough.
Old 09-09-16, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I recommend anyone 50 or have a family history of cancer (my mom died from colon cancer) get a colonoscopy. It can save your life.
Old 09-10-16, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 458 Likes on 348 Posts

Originally Posted by dom56 View Post
I just finish my exam today and the results were I had a couple of benign neoplasm, second-degree hemorrhoids, diverticulosis of large intestine which mean I got to start on a high fiber diet. Overall, the staff were great and didn't have any problem during the procedure. I was sedated but didn't pass out, I could have watch my inside on the monitor but one quick look was enough.
That's relatively good news.

Glad to hear it!
Old 09-14-16, 10:08 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm also 60 and have never had one (yet). Scheduled one for early October but I'm told my prep will be Miralax and Gatorade along with 4 Dulcolax pills. My issue is finding a ride to and from since I'm single and have no reliable "friends" so am attempting to schedule Ambulatory Medical Transportation the center recommended. I hope the sedation will allow me not to be groggy when it's over but I intend on just either trying to actually sleep or at least just close my eyes and kind of veg out to make it easier on both myself and the Doctor.
Old 09-14-16, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by rduncan View Post
I'm also 60 and have never had one (yet). Scheduled one for early October but I'm told my prep will be Miralax and Gatorade along with 4 Dulcolax pills. My issue is finding a ride to and from since I'm single and have no reliable "friends" so am attempting to schedule Ambulatory Medical Transportation the center recommended. I hope the sedation will allow me not to be groggy when it's over but I intend on just either trying to actually sleep or at least just close my eyes and kind of veg out to make it easier on both myself and the Doctor.
Strange. I wouldn't think that would clear you out the way the Industrial Strength stuff does. Miralax is a super mild laxative. Even milder than Metamucil. They wanted my intestines to be a clean as a whistle so they could see every nook and cranny.
Old 09-14-16, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 270 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by cungar View Post
For most people with no family history they recommend doing it starting at 50 and then every decade or so depending on the results.. With a family history, they recommend starting earlier and more frequently.
Originally Posted by OldDude View Post
This. For no family history and no adverse results (after they start doing them) @50 and every 10 years. Depending on risk factor, they may go to a 5 year or 3 year schedule. Normally the doctor will determine and recommend the interval to you. In my case, I had polyps last time and I am now on a 5 year schedule.
I had my first at 40. My Dad had lower GI issues and his Mom had Colon Cancer, so I decided to get ahead of things and start early. I'm on a 4-5 year cycle, having just had my 4th procedure last month. This was the first time a polyp had been detected, which was removed and sent to the lab - nothing to worry about this time, and I'm not due back for 4 years.

A piece of advice when going through the actual procedure.... everything is going well as long as you can feel an odd number of hands on your back.
Old 09-14-16, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Anyone else get the cool pictures afterwards and share them with their friends and family?
Old 09-14-16, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 270 Likes on 165 Posts

That was exactly my issue as well.... I even had to reschedule it once because they wouldn't proceed with the colonoscopy if I just stepped out of a cab when I arrived. Made no sense initially, since even if I had a friend or my ex drag me to the hospital none of them would have any Medical POA powers, so there'd be nothing they could do if there was a complication that a cab driver couldn't also not do.

I finally had their program administrator sit down for 5 minutes and explain the reasoning behind their requirement that I have a "friend" come along. And of course it's all about them wanting to avoid liability exposure. You see, they're worried that once you're done and sent home, you'll be in such a drugged up state that while you'll have decent short-term memory, your long-term memory will be dicey... at least for the first 12-18 hours. If you step out of the hospital and into a cab, they fear that you could get rolled and dumped by the roadside without any memory of it happening, and then sue the hospital for letting it happen.

So, essentially, they're inconveniencing you and a 3rd party by making you cover their ass for any liability due to the memory effects the drugs they're gonna give you will cause. If your medical center is just as risk-averse as mine was, your proposed solution with the Medical Transport bubbas might not fly. It's not about getting you home after the procedure, its about getting you home without you suing the hospital for getting mugged.
Old 09-14-16, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, I find it odd that you have to take Dulcolax which is really a stool softening like MiraLax. Not sure how both are going to clean your colon without drinking Nulytely liquid.
Old 09-14-16, 01:20 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Well, when they called me after I contacted them for an appointment/referral I told them I had no one to accompany me and they gave me the transport company name and number. I suspect they have been used before so hope it will work. The printed instructions indicate at 12:00 Noon the day prior I'm to take 4 Dulcolax (Bisacodyl) tablets with 8 oz glass of water. Else where they indicate these are NOT the Dulcolax Stool Softener. When they scheduled the appointment I was told I would receive another call in the next day or so explaining everything I need to do and I'll ask. The website of the office does have multiple instruction sheets for various preparations but I recall when the appointment was made she mentioned "Miralax and Gatorade" and not one of the others. Actually three days prior I pretty much taper off all solid foods so perhaps this is taken into consideration as there may not be much left to clean out. In any case it would appear I may not need to install a seat belt on my toilet to keep me from launching into the ceiling.

Rick
Old 09-14-16, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You definitely want to have something that will be effective. If you're not clean enough, you'll have to repeat the whole thing. If you're not peeing out of your butt (contrary to popular forum etiquette!) you're almost certainly not going to be clean enough.

My preps have also involved Dulcolax, prior to starting the heavy duty stuff.
Old 09-20-16, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I got my biopsy report from the mail and said they found 6 polyps that could develop in cancer, but there is no cancer yet. All the polyps were removed from my colonoscopy. They recommend a follow up with my primary care doctor and get a another colonoscopy in three years. Glad I had them done otherwise I could have develop colon cancer if I didn't have my colonoscopy.
Old 09-20-16, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

That's one of the great things about a colonoscopy... That they can remove potentially dangerous polyps during the examination, and it is usually painless.

I'm surprised they didn't mention polyp removal after your procedure. Regardless, good to hear they caught these. Makes the whole unpleasantness very worthwhile.
Old 09-20-16, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 492 Likes on 300 Posts

I had mine done last Friday (9/16). Three polyps removed. Biopsy results to come soon but my GI told me they were "smaller ones that looked standard". Whatever that means. I've had them removed before without issue, so I remain cautiously optimistic.

Go SUPREP if you're gonna cleanse. Makes all the difference.

And never hit on the anesthesiologist once you come out of sedation, thinking in your delusion that she might be your wife. Even if she's a redhead. ESPECIALLY if she's a redhead...!
Old 09-20-16, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by andicus View Post
That's one of the great things about a colonoscopy... That they can remove potentially dangerous polyps during the examination, and it is usually painless.

I'm surprised they didn't mention polyp removal after your procedure. Regardless, good to hear they caught these. Makes the whole unpleasantness very worthwhile.
Forgot that they mention a special instructions to wait for pathology report on the papers with 4 pics of my colon. Kind of miss that part. Also got to go on high fiber diet which my doctor is probably going to have me on.
Old 09-21-16, 05:34 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

My issue is finding a ride to and from since I'm single and have no reliable "friends" so am attempting to schedule Ambulatory Medical Transportation the center recommended.
I'm almost 52 and this is my situation also. I even asked if I could take a cab to and from the hospital for it and they said no, I had to have either family (I only have my sister who is too busy with family, work and school) and no reliable friends either.
Old 12-29-16, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

I'm finally getting mine done tomorrow. My sister has time off of school this month to give me the ride to the clinic.

Just dropped 3 Ducolax (Laxative) pills. Have to take another 3 in an hour and then an hour after that I have to chug down a bottle of Magnesium Citrate. If hardly any results by 6 tonight - I have to chug down another bottle!

Ugh...not looking forward to all of this. Besides the fact I'm fucking starving!!! LOL

I'm a little worried about it all since my dad had his done in October and then went back last month to get a polyp removed and then a day after he got home he ended up having a seizure and ended up in the hospital in a medically induced coma for a few days. He's fine now but the doctors are a little bit puzzled as to why that happened to him.
Old 12-29-16, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good luck mickey65! I'm 48 and haven't had to have one of these yet...not really looking forward to it...but I know its coming.
Old 12-29-16, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The anticipation is far worse than the actual procedure. The prep was uncomfortable because you can't eat all day and you're cleaning out at the same time. People get uncomfortable because something is being shoved up your ass. You don't feel a thing and never know it happened.
Old 12-29-16, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 837 Likes on 554 Posts

The worst part of it for me was being thirsty. As soon as I was done, I drank a lot of water.

I woke up before they finished the procedure, and I was able to crane my neck and see the inside of my colon. Roger Ebert wasn't sedated, and he wrote about watching the whole process. He thought it was interesting.
Old 12-29-16, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 195 Likes on 167 Posts

Mine went fine (2-years ago) as well.

When I woke up the Dr asked I felt and I asked her if it was ok to get my run in later in the day. She rolled her eyes and said to wait till at least I ate something, and was well after lunch (she got me in early in the AM).

That afternoon I did an easy 3-4 mile run. No issues.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.