Reload this Page >

What's a good car mount for your phone?

Other Talk "Otterville"

Old 09-06-16, 12:14 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Never really had a need to have the phone being active while I'm driving but I've been a driving a lot lately and just have it sitting in the cup holder but sometimes I get really iffy w/ the directions when they start popping up fast, one after the other when I'm in a crowded area. And don't like having to pick up the phone during all that to look. I'd rather just look at it straight on w/ ease.

There are ones you can put on the dash or the ac vent but I also see some that you can have stuck on the windshield. Those seem interesting but I also fear of that fucker just falling off too.

Any suggestions?
Old 09-06-16, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Received 719 Likes on 496 Posts
Re: What's a good car mount for your phone?

I tried a windshield sucker one. Fell off and broke within about 30 seconds. You get what you pay for, so don't go cheap!
Old 09-06-16, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 740 Likes on 529 Posts

I got this one for my wife, it's attaches to the CD player slot, she's had no issues with it and it attaches very securely.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 09-06-16, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an airframe mount. I love it but you need to have the right type of vent to use it. It also is recommended to have a vent that you can individually close.
Old 09-06-16, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

I currently use a vent mount.

The problem with windshield or dash mount is that some phones will overheat when using Google maps for navigation while charging. Using a vent mount keeps the phone cool in that situation
Old 09-06-16, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by cultshock View Post
I got this one for my wife, it's attaches to the CD player slot, she's had no issues with it and it attaches very securely.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I use a CD one as well, since I rarely play CD's in my car now. The brand I got was Koomus.

https://www.amazon.com/Koomus-CD-Air...eywords=koomus
Old 09-06-16, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I really like the koomus brand of stuff. Specifically the CD mount one here:

http://www.koomus.com/products/pro-c...hone-car-mount

Very sturdy and you can slip the phone in without having to reach with both hands across the dashboard. Fits my Note 5 with an otterbox case. Pair it with an anker kevlar usb cable for ultimate road warrior preparations.
Old 09-06-16, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Not cheap, but I have used http://www.proclipusa.com/ for years. What I like and dislike about them is you buy a mount for the car and a mount for the device and then put them together. If you get a new phone you dont need to buy a new mount for the car, just the phone and vice versa. Even better is I got a phone mount that is adjustable that has fit the last 3 of my phones. Holds the phone securely on the dash, in front of the vents, but low enough so it doesnt block your view of the road.
Old 09-06-16, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

haha, two votes for koomus it looks like. I'll throw in that I like the koomus cd mount better than others because it is push button and you don't have to crank a knob to wedge it in the cd slot
Old 09-06-16, 03:42 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 790 Likes on 571 Posts

I use this:
https://www.amazon.com/Mountek-Smart...ywords=mountek

My wife and I each have one of the metal squares, so whoever is driving just pops their phone onto it. It's excellent. She puts her square between her phone (iPhone SE) and her phone's case. My phone (Lumia 950XL) has a removable backplate, and the square fits under there, even when the backplate is on. So for both of us, the metal square is invisible.

They also make a CD-slot one. I wanted that, because it's sturdier, but my CD slot is way too low.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...sd_al_bw_c_x_2
Old 09-06-16, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

To those with the Koomus, what do you do if you actually use your cd player?
Old 09-06-16, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
I use a CD one as well, since I rarely play CD's in my car now. The brand I got was Koomus.

https://www.amazon.com/Koomus-CD-Air...eywords=koomus
I have a CD slot one as well. I travel a lot and I'm always in a rental car. I've only had one car that it doesn't work in and oddly enough it's my personal car. The CD slot sits too far back.

I recommend this type.
Old 09-06-16, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by jjcool View Post
To those with the Koomus, what do you do if you actually use your cd player?
My CD player still works with it inserted, as long as it's not jammed all the way in, although I think Koomus recommends not playing any CD's while using it.
Old 09-06-16, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan View Post
I use this:

My wife and I each have one of the metal squares, so whoever is driving just pops their phone onto it. It's excellent. She puts her square between her phone (iPhone SE) and her phone's case. My phone (Lumia 950XL) has a removable backplate, and the square fits under there, even when the backplate is on. So for both of us, the metal square is invisible.

They also make a CD-slot one. I wanted that, because it's sturdier, but my CD slot is way too low.
I don't get it.

Do you have to glue the plate to the phone?

The Koomis looks like a good choice.
Old 09-07-16, 08:53 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

It has a sticky side, if you peel back the little paper sleeve covering the square (in the pics above, I'm talking about the square on the phone, not the mount itself). So you can stick it directly to your phone or phone case if you want... but I wouldn't do it that way myself.

I just shove it under my phone's backplate, so it's inside my phone on top of the battery. My wife puts it between her phone and her phone case, which is what I imagine most people do with it. That way it's out of sight, but still works as intended. I just get in the car and hold my phone up to the mount and let go.

edit: but thinking about it, it probably doesn't fit nicely inside most phone cases... I think my wife and I are just lucky. If it's too thick, then your case won't go on properly...
Old 09-07-16, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
My CD player still works with it inserted, as long as it's not jammed all the way in, although I think Koomus recommends not playing any CD's while using it.

Yea, and really I don't listen to CDs anymore. If it isn't on satellite radio, regular radio, one of the streaming services on my phone, google music, amazon music...eh, who has time.
Old 09-07-16, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 634 Likes on 514 Posts

I'm also using a magnetic AC vent one, works great. But I have a case on my phone, so I didn't mind throwing a piece of metal onto the back of it.
Old 09-07-16, 09:14 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

^ Bonus feature, as someone else mentioned, it keeps your phone cool* when it's charging, using maps, and streaming music at the same time.

*no guarantees that you Note 7 won't still catch on fire, though.
Old 09-07-16, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 332 Likes on 199 Posts

I have a magnetic holder similar to the Mountek mentioned above. One neat thing I found out is that my S7 Edge actually sticks to it without even using the magnetic plate. I think if you're phone has wireless charging it may stick without a plate.
Old 09-13-16, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by Dan View Post
I use this:

Reading your post, I bought one.

I initially liked it but with the metal piece in between my the case and phone, but the phone sometimes falls off the mount when the car hits a bump in the road. I am sure it will work fine if I were to stick the metal piece outside of the case but would rather conceal the metal piece.

On further inspection, I peeled off the rubber on the mount exposing the magnets. There are six magnet slots/holes but with only four are filled with a magnet. Is that normal or should all six slots be filled with a magnet?

On another note, my phone doesn't charge on the wireless charger with the metal piece on the phone.

Last edited by Havoc101; 09-13-16 at 07:05 PM.
Old 09-13-16, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
I'm also using a magnetic AC vent one, works great. But I have a case on my phone, so I didn't mind throwing a piece of metal onto the back of it.
I have one of these and it works great. But unfortunately the magnet that goes inside the phone case prevents the phone from working with wireless charging.
Old 09-13-16, 10:06 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Havoc101 View Post
Reading your post, I bought one.

I initially liked it but with the metal piece in between my the case and phone, but the phone sometimes falls off the mount when the car hits a bump in the road. I am sure it will work fine if I were to stick the metal piece outside of the case but would rather conceal the metal piece.

On further inspection, I peeled off the rubber on the mount exposing the magnets. There are six magnet slots/holes but with only four are filled with a magnet. Is that normal or should all six slots be filled with a magnet?
I just checked mine and yeah, just four magnets. That said, I never have problems with mine falling off. Flipping the metal piece around might help... but I guess it also depends how thick your case is. My wife's iPhone SE case, and my Lumia 950 XL back plate are both pretty thin. If it doesn't work out for you, I hope you can return it.

On another note, my phone doesn't charge on the wireless charger with the metal piece on the phone.
Damn. Never thought of that, since I don't use wireless charging at all (yet). That sucks. If that's an essential feature for you, I'd return it if you can.
Old 09-14-16, 06:12 AM

I checked their website and they don't sell any extra magnets as it sounded like more magnets might do damage to the phone. I do need a new phone so I'll try to get a thinner case when I make the jump.

As for the wireless charger, it only worked half the time anyways because of the case! Frustrating waking up in the morning to find the phone not charged. I guess I don't think I would really mind just plugging it in.
Old 09-14-16, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 580 Likes on 363 Posts

I use ProClip. I've tried many others and that's the one that works best for me.
Old 09-14-16, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,103 Likes on 860 Posts

The problem I have with vent mounts is that they, well, block the vent. Especially with phones so big nowadays the entire vent can be blocked by the phone. Almost unbearable when we had the early summer heat wave.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.