Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Let's play a game: How does a Razor® Scooter end up in a fast food joint's salad?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Let's play a game: How does a Razor® Scooter end up in a fast food joint's salad?

Old 08-30-16, 03:06 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

So, I won't name the place. It's irrelevant, really.

My wife got a salad at a well-known fast food joint today.* She brought it home, opened it up, put it in a bowl (tsk, dishes...) and BAM, a razor blade was inside. one of these types:

She went back and the manager gave her a cash refund and offered another salad, but didn't seem overly concerned about the potential for physical injury or anything. Wife refused the free salad because, when you find a razor blade in your salad, sometimes it can ruin your appetite. That would be TWO wasted salads. My wife wasn't expecting anything anyway, but felt the general attitude seemed... off. They didn't ask for my wife's contact info. The manager opened it up, right on the counter, while other people were ordering and could clearly see it. I don't know about you, but if I was ordering, and the manager was staring at a salad with a razor blade in it in plain view, I'd probably just go somewhere else. Obviously the chances of two razor blades in two meals is pretty low. But if my options are "place that put a razor blade in a salad today" and "100 other places that didn't put a razor blade in a salad today," I'd probably pick one of the latter.

Anyway, my wife contacted customer service, they escalated it to the district manager, and they're taking it a little bit more seriously. Again, my wife doesn't want anything out of it, but she didn't feel like the store manager was concerned. It was basically, "Here's your $4. Are we done now? Thanks. Next customer!"

ANYWAY none of that matters.

The point of this post is:

So, for the purposes of creative writing, I request the great Otters to solve the mystery:
What are the logistics of how a razor blade like that ends up in a bowl of salad?

Be as realistic/absurd as you want.

Spoiler:
*"I can make my own salad for 1/5 of the cost!" is accurate, but irrelevant.
Old 08-30-16, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: Let's play a game: How does a Razor® Scooter end up in a fast food joint's salad?

Is the salad packaged at the restaurant or off site?
Old 08-30-16, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

re: Let's play a game: How does a Razor® Scooter end up in a fast food joint's salad?

Does your wife work in Halloween town?
Old 08-30-16, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Toothpick was not available?
Old 08-30-16, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My wife once found a bolt in her salad at restaurant. I figure it fell off a piece of farm machinery or in the factory where the salad makings were processed.
Old 08-30-16, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts
Re: Let's play a game: How does a Razor® Scooter end up in a fast food joint's salad?

Someone who opens cases of bulk food ingredients has a box knife that uses single edge razor blades. The blade got dull, so he took it out of the knife and put in a sharp blade. Instead of keeping track of the old blade, he set it on top of the box to be taken care of "later". The blade fell into one of those big airflow slots in the boxes that hold lettuce. When he didn't see the blade a couple minutes later, he had already forgotten it.

The cook at the salad counter grabs a handful of lettuce leaves for each bowl. He didn't see the blade. He would have been furious if he had been cut while handling green leaves. But he was lucky.

Later your wife got home with the salad, and normal shifting allowed the blade to become visible. She went and complained to the manager, who's seen similar but false complaints before from scammers. He returned her money and got a coupon, which is all that scammers want.
Old 08-30-16, 03:59 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Let's play a game: How does a Razor® Scooter end up in a fast food joint's salad?

at the thread title change. PLEASE someone photoshop a Razor Scooter into a salad bowl for me.

Also, Nick... you're probably right, more or less. That's not a very titillating story, though.
Old 08-30-16, 03:59 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The person making the salad was depressed and tried to commit suicide by slitting their wrists but dropped the blade and couldn't find it so they just took it as a sign that it wasn't their day to die and got on with business.
Old 08-30-16, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Maybe the restaurant is going for more upscale recipes, like this...

You likely chop, dice, puree, and sauté your vegetables, but do you shave them? There’s really no better technique for preparing—and tenderizing—raw veggies for salads, slaws, and garnishes. Shaving vegetables spotlights their crisp texture and provides a nice surface area for delicious dressings and toppings. The best tool for the job is a mandoline, which you want to use on the thinnest setting (though you can always go thicker). If you don’t have one, no big deal: Pull out your vegetable peeler to create elegant strands or, depending on your knife skills and the sharpness of your blade, try to make delicate papery slices. Get started with this colorful lineup of nine good-to-shave spring vegetables....
Old 08-30-16, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It fell in. Those blades are everywhere in industrial environments.

Or it was an employee that purposely slipped it in there.
Old 08-30-16, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Shaved lettuce, duh.
Old 08-30-16, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Old 08-30-16, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Old 08-30-16, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

That was pretty sharp of your wife to catch that! I know some of these fast food places are trying to be more cutting edge in an effort to bring customers back. Still, cutting corners like that will begin to shave away their profits. Any way you slice it, it's bad business, bro.
Old 08-30-16, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

My father once took me out for a burger and some father-son bonding. "You should have a salad instead of fries. It's healthy, it's good for you," he said ...

Last edited by Abob Teff; 08-30-16 at 05:38 PM.
Old 08-30-16, 05:32 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TheBang View Post

Originally Posted by Abob Teff View Post
That was pretty sharp of your wife to catch that! I know some of these fast food places are trying to be more cutting edge in an effort to bring customers back. Still, cutting corners like that will begin to shave away their profits. Any way you slice it, it's bad business, bro.
Your wordplay is not appreciated.
Old 08-30-16, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

*sigh* Proper food handling is a dying art.
Old 08-30-16, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Couple of opinions here

1. people put shit in their own food all the time trying to 'get something' from the restaurant

2. people that work fast food (or ever better places) don't give a rats ass about their customers or their job. put in time to get money, no one cares anymore

in the case where an object really does accidentally get into food, the bare minimum is done to compensate

I actually got accused of putting a screw in my own food at a oldies style diner one time. I almost broke my tooth on it, the manager took the screw back into the kitchen and because no one back there ever saw a screw that looked like that one before, I must have done it. I flipped the fuck out on that manager, he still refused to give me a refund or anything other than another plate of food. That is one downside to eating at mom and pop places, no corporate to complain to. I just never went back, the place is still in business and no one cares, I just don't eat there anymore.
Old 08-30-16, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

^
1. Absolutely correct
2. Maybe. It's been a decade since I worked in restuarants, but I ran a few kitchens and I always had people around me that 'gave a rats ass.' Sure there were plenty that came and went that didn't give a shit, but on the whole I wouldn't call your statement accurate in my experience.

Speaking of, a customer claimed to have found a cigarette butt in their onion straws one night I was there. I worked 4 feet away from the person making them. There was a zero percent chance that person put that in the food. It went through my hands to the expo, all this under my eye. The only possibility remaining is if a server did it between the kitchen and the table. To this day I'm 99% sure the customer was looking for a freebie.
Old 08-30-16, 11:25 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by 4KRG View Post
1. people put shit in their own food all the time trying to 'get something' from the restaurant
This is exactly what I told my wife. Their first assumption is probably that she put it there herself to get free shit. I get that. I know that she didn't, though. Her comment was "I'm not that bored with my life. I just wanted a salad, Dan."

They only refunded the salad, and offered a new one. She didn't want food at all at that point, so she politely declined. The other food she ordered was for our kid anyway, and she did eat it, so no big deal.

So at the end of all this, the fast food joint got their salad back, Razor and all, my wife only paid for the food my daughter ate, and she didn't try to get any free stuff. If she really was scamming them, she did a shitty job.

What's the chance the place just chucked the dirty dull razor and put the salad back in the cooler? I'm guessing... 20%.
Old 08-30-16, 11:42 PM

Location: Stuck in traffic on the 5 fwy somewhere in Los Angeles
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Click bait title brought me here.
Old 08-31-16, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Was there a toothpick next to the razor? DVDTalkers can only deal with one mystery at a time!
Old 08-31-16, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ View Post
Was there a toothpick next to the razor? DVDTalkers can only deal with one mystery at a time!
No, but the razor had a toothpick in it's mouth

Old 08-31-16, 12:34 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

^ I googled "razor ramon as a razor blade" and expected to see a drawing of a razor blade in Razor Ramon's outfit, with a toothpick in its mouth, and I am thoroughly disappointed in the internet.
Old 08-31-16, 07:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Their reaction comes from not believing you. Not sure I do either.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.