Reload this Page >

Recommend me a good non-sticking pan?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 08-26-16, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could be a griddle as well. Square or round don't matter. Budget less than $40.

I had this one but it died out after 5yrs.

https://www.amazon.com/Circulon-Accl...rculon+griddle
Old 08-26-16, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
Re: Recommend me a good non-sticking pan?

5 years? That doesn't seem very long. Trick is to avoid using cooking sprays. They just kill the non-stick material in no time.

I've been curious about those red copper(?) ones I keep seeing infomercials for.

My wife got a new skillet recently that seems to be as impressive as those seem. Don't recall the brand though.
Old 08-26-16, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I've been using the new ceramic non-stick pans for a while now and I really like them.
Old 08-26-16, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
5 years? That doesn't seem very long. Trick is to avoid using cooking sprays. They just kill the non-stick material in no time.

I've been curious about those red copper(?) ones I keep seeing infomercials for.

My wife got a new skillet recently that seems to be as impressive as those seem. Don't recall the brand though.
More like 6yrs. Yeah I use PAM cooking spray on it. What happened was that the non-sticking coating started to give out and get bubbles around the corner. Must say tho it lasted quite a long time. Brand is Circulon. I could go for another one but just like you I was wondering about those red copper ones as well. Commercial seems amazing how you can throw a piece of plastic on it and it won't stick.

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
I've been using the new ceramic non-stick pans for a while now and I really like them.
Thanks! I will check those out at Amazon.
Old 08-26-16, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Buy vintage cast iron on eBay. The trick to make it nonstick is to use a fuck load of butter. All the shit you heard about heart healthy nonstick was a lie. Cook like your grandparents did. They weren't fat.
Old 08-27-16, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
Buy vintage cast iron on eBay. The trick to make it nonstick is to use a fuck load of butter. All the shit you heard about heart healthy nonstick was a lie. Cook like your grandparents did. They weren't fat.

Cast iron fry pans, and carbon steel woks. Season them properly and they're pretty much non-stick with no weird chemicals, and they stand up to high heat.
Old 08-27-16, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
That's what my wife bought. She bought a cheap 12" one (Big Lots, maybe?) for camping, but it works so well it got upgraded to the main skillet in the kitchen.

Cook like your grandparents did. They weren't fat.
Not sure if you're being sarcastic but they likely busted their asses at work or on the farm(not sitting in a cubicle 40-60 hours a week), didn't sit around watching TV/playing video games/ipad for hours on end, pay other people to do the yard work, etc.

Different times. Cooking like your grandparents coupled with today's sedentary lifestyle sounds like a recipe for disaster.
Old 08-27-16, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Most of the modern dieticians and trainers say you are wrong. High fat, low carbs. Ideal meal is steak and salad, ideal breakfast is bacon and eggs. Fuck egg whites. Whole milk and butter are two thumbs up.
Old 08-27-16, 02:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Buy vintage cast iron on eBay. The trick to make it nonstick is to use a fuck load of butter.
I hate butter.
Old 08-27-16, 03:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Olive oil works too.
Old 08-27-16, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I will give another vote for cast iron, been using them for over a decade now and love them. Buy a preseason-ed and season it some more. Eventually it will be become so no stick you can cook an over easy egg and not worry about it.

but I understand those that do not want cast iron for everything (my wife)

I can't meet your $40 price point, but if you use the triple camel, this can be had for $52 (or search around, I have seen other places sell them)

Vollrath 59900 SteelCoat Carbon Steel 8-1/2" Induction Fry Pan

https://www.amazon.com/Vollrath-5990.../dp/B001TACZ62

I gave up on 'home owner' lines of pots and pans years ago, the commercial series hold up much better and only cost slightly more (sometimes they cost less, depends on the exact item)

and no you don't have to have an induction style stove to use it, works as any normal pan, but works with induction too (where many do not)
Old 08-27-16, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

i've been considering swapping out my nonsticks for porcelain. i see such mixed reviews, so it scares me.
Old 08-27-16, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by antspawn View Post
Thanks! I will check those out at Amazon.
Costco has a 2 pack of the ceramic pans that look like they're a pretty good deal.
Old 08-27-16, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I love my cast iron pans, and yes, if cared for and used properly it can be nonstick enough to fry an egg. That said, it is nowhere near as nonstick as a true, new, nonstick coating pan.
Old 08-27-16, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by LurkerDan View Post
I love my cast iron pans, and yes, if cared for and used properly it can be nonstick enough to fry an egg. That said, it is nowhere near as nonstick as a true, new, nonstick coating pan.
I am not an expert but, in my limited experience, I would agree with this.
Old 08-28-16, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am very fond of the restaurant grade non-stick pans that Sysco sells. Cheap and durable. They are often sold under the "Winware" brand name on places like Amazon, but the parent company is Winco.

https://www.amazon.com/Winware-Alumi...dp/B001BFZ1NY/

You can also get them without the silicone sleeves if you move pans from burner to oven and back, as restaurant chefs often do.

I also own a couple of Winco knives that are as good or better than knives we own that cost far more.
Old 08-28-16, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

$25 cast iron pan...with olive oil...warm it up a bit slower and don't go super high heat on it...works great.

I got rid of all of my crappy old, flaking non-stick and went with aluminum and cast iron. Absolutely love them.
Old 08-28-16, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Another vote against cast iron. Lol. Yes you should have one or two. But they don't take the place of a real nonstick pan. Don't use anything sharper than a rubber spatula and it should last much longer than 6 years.
Old 08-29-16, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Chrisedge View Post
Another vote against cast iron. Lol. Yes you should have one or two. But they don't take the place of a real nonstick pan. Don't use anything sharper than a rubber spatula and it should last much longer than 6 years.
100% on both counts. As for rubber spatulas (which I grew to love using from years in restaurants), I strongly recommend the Vollrath brand.
Old 08-29-16, 10:21 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Go to a restaurant supply place and buy a decent nonstick skillet with a slide off rubber handle. You should be able to find one for about $20 or so. These things are meant to be disposable, in that they will only last a couple of years with daily use.

Often places like CostCo sell them in three-packs of 8", 10", and 12" sizes.
Old 08-29-16, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just buy mine at Walmart or Kmart. Not the cheapest model and not the most expensive. Usually they cost me about $15-20.

My mother swore by cast iron, but I don't like the bother of caring for it. Lazy, lazy.
Old 08-29-16, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Cast Iron (obviously non-non-stick) and Ceramic are where it's at.

That is all.
Old 08-29-16, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I love to cook and even do a professional gig now and then (not bragging or suggesting I know all about pans, just that I cook a lot and used a lot of different pans).

I'm fairly anti-non-stick. I have 2-3 in the house for eggs and reheating pizza, but that's about it. I also have 2 in my tailgating kit.

Don't buy cheap. They won't cook evenly, will warp, you rarely can put in an oven, etc. About as cheap as id go is something like the Calphalon Classic or everyday series. They use to slap Emerils name on some and that is what I have in my tailgating kit. I throw them on the grill and have held up well.

A better pan or upgrade and still non-stick is something Hard Anadized and just a little care will last a long time.

Get one that can go in the oven. But becareful. Some max out in the 400-450 degree range.

I'm a big fan of cast iron. Properly seasoned, used a few times and know how to cook and it is pretty darn non-stick (even without the butter). Making steak au poivre in a cast iron pan can change your life
Old 08-29-16, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by wendersfan View Post
Go to a restaurant supply place and buy a decent nonstick skillet with a slide off rubber handle. You should be able to find one for about $20 or so. These things are meant to be disposable, in that they will only last a couple of years with daily use.

Often places like CostCo sell them in three-packs of 8", 10", and 12" sizes.
Good advise here...good suggestion
Old 08-29-16, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My trousseau cookware set was Mikasa Charisma Black pattern. I don't have the skillet anymore, because the porcelain finally chipped too much to make it safe to use anymore. But it was very serviceable for decades, and it was all metal so I baked in it too. Of course, the pattern SCREAMED 1984 ... ... google it and you'll see what I am talking about. I do still have the two casserole dishes. SSG Honeylamb wore out the teakettle.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.