Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Any good resume template websites?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Any good resume template websites?

Old 08-16-16, 04:18 PM
  #1  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
cultshock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: True North Strong & Free
Posts: 12,607
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Any good resume template websites?

I've been thinking about looking around for other possible job opportunities so I thought I'd dust off the old resume, I haven't made one in some time! It looks like there are a billion websites that have templates, can anyone recommend a good site that's free, easy to use, has some decent templates, not some kind of scam, etc? Thanks in advance!
Old 08-16-16, 04:21 PM
  #2  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
The Bus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: New York
Posts: 54,876
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Any good resume template websites?

Just use Microsoft Word to make your template (or the free Google Docs version). The most important part of the resume is not the format, but the content. Use action words, describe results.

Then put it on LinkedIn, which is the only real place recruiters are looking for candidates.
Old 08-16-16, 04:38 PM
  #3  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
cultshock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: True North Strong & Free
Posts: 12,607
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Any good resume template websites?

Thanks for the advice. How does LinkedIn work, I'm aware of its existence, but have never used it (I've been with the same company for nearly 10 years, so job hunting is kind of new to me, things have obviously changed!)
Old 08-16-16, 04:49 PM
  #4  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
DJariya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: La Palma, CA
Posts: 56,914
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Re: Any good resume template websites?

Originally Posted by cultshock View Post
Thanks for the advice. How does LinkedIn work, I'm aware of its existence, but have never used it (I've been with the same company for nearly 10 years, so job hunting is kind of new to me, things have obviously changed!)
Social media site for working professionals. Post your entire resume on your profile and try to link up with past and present colleagues in your field. Almost like friending someone on Facebook, but it's people you more or less have a professional relationship with. The more people you link up with, the better chance your resume will be seen by a potential employer.

Your name and profile on LinkedIn will also show on Google searches of your name, but you can control that if you don't want that exposed to the world.
Old 08-16-16, 05:00 PM
  #5  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
cultshock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: True North Strong & Free
Posts: 12,607
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Any good resume template websites?

Thanks man, I'll give that a shot.
Old 08-17-16, 12:55 AM
  #6  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
JZ1276's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Long Island
Posts: 3,616
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Any good resume template websites?

Hey. I just recently used an online template from a site called MyPerfectResume. Took me around an hour to complete the resume and when it came time to print it, they wanted $1. I paid the $1 fee & printed it out. The following month they charged me something like $40! I called them up & they told me by paying the 41 fee that auto enrolled me in their monthly membership & refused to give me a credit. I ended up disputing the charge. After doing some research I found a huge amount of complaints about other people being charged a $40 monthly fee after the initial $1 was paid to print. Anyway, yeah, don't use MyPerfectResume.com!
Old 08-17-16, 07:11 AM
  #7  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
The Bus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: New York
Posts: 54,876
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Any good resume template websites?

I'd actually Google a resume (or LinkedIn page) for someone in the position you want and use that.
Old 08-17-16, 08:02 AM
  #8  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
james2025a's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 5,113
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Any good resume template websites?

About two weeks ago i decided to update my resume completely from the dull one page of text that it was (don't get me wrong, i was still very happy with the lay out, structure and content in my text resume). I have created something that i am actually really proud of, its eye catching, unique and demonstrates my capabilities. I showed it to my wife and she was not impressed. LOL.

Its funny, but my wife for her works has recently been getting a lot of resumes from people applying for jobs and many of them had a photo of the person included. When did this become a thing? I would NEVER include a photo of myself. Its one of those golden rules. It immediately can create a prejudice for anyone reviewing resumes. Unless of course you have huge tits and like wearing tight cleavage displaying tops. Then i imagine its a given to include a photo on every single resume ever submitted.
Old 08-17-16, 08:55 AM
  #9  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
JANK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: at lightspeed slowing
Posts: 2,009
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Any good resume template websites?

Originally Posted by JZ1276 View Post
Hey. I just recently used an online template from a site called MyPerfectResume. Took me around an hour to complete the resume and when it came time to print it, they wanted $1. I paid the $1 fee & printed it out. The following month they charged me something like $40! I called them up & they told me by paying the 41 fee that auto enrolled me in their monthly membership & refused to give me a credit. I ended up disputing the charge. After doing some research I found a huge amount of complaints about other people being charged a $40 monthly fee after the initial $1 was paid to print. Anyway, yeah, don't use MyPerfectResume.com!
Ah hmmm. Have you been on the Internet very long? Perhaps this was your first time? What were you thinking would happen by giving your CC to a strange site?
Old 08-17-16, 09:36 AM
  #10  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Posts: 12,966
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Any good resume template websites?

Originally Posted by JZ1276 View Post
Hey. I just recently used an online template from a site called MyPerfectResume.
Sounds like the first line to any shill post that's ever been posted.
Old 08-17-16, 10:20 AM
  #11  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
cultshock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: True North Strong & Free
Posts: 12,607
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Any good resume template websites?

Originally Posted by JZ1276 View Post
Hey. I just recently used an online template from a site called MyPerfectResume. Took me around an hour to complete the resume and when it came time to print it, they wanted $1. I paid the $1 fee & printed it out. The following month they charged me something like $40! I called them up & they told me by paying the 41 fee that auto enrolled me in their monthly membership & refused to give me a credit. I ended up disputing the charge. After doing some research I found a huge amount of complaints about other people being charged a $40 monthly fee after the initial $1 was paid to print. Anyway, yeah, don't use MyPerfectResume.com!
Yikes, I saw that website and have to admit something seemed kind of fishy, glad I listened to my gut feeling.

Originally Posted by The Bus View Post
I'd actually Google a resume (or LinkedIn page) for someone in the position you want and use that.
Good idea!

Originally Posted by james2025a View Post
Its funny, but my wife for her works has recently been getting a lot of resumes from people applying for jobs and many of them had a photo of the person included. When did this become a thing? I would NEVER include a photo of myself. Its one of those golden rules. It immediately can create a prejudice for anyone reviewing resumes. Unless of course you have huge tits and like wearing tight cleavage displaying tops. Then i imagine its a given to include a photo on every single resume ever submitted.
It's funny, in Japan you have to include a photo with your resume. Then again, they don't really the anti-discrimination laws that we do, I'm sure there is especially a lot of ageism involved in hiring among other things.
Old 08-17-16, 01:45 PM
  #12  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Abob Teff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Not necessarily Formerly known as Solid Snake
Posts: 20,797
Likes: 0
Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
Re: Any good resume template websites?

Originally Posted by Timber View Post
Sounds like the first line to any shill post that's ever been posted.
And it turned out as expected!
Old 08-17-16, 01:49 PM
  #13  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
cultshock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: True North Strong & Free
Posts: 12,607
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Any good resume template websites?

Question about job interview attire: should I wear my cargo shorts below or above my belly?
Old 08-17-16, 02:43 PM
  #14  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Osiris3657's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 8,452
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Any good resume template websites?

Go to the interview naked. That'll show the potential employer you have confidence.
Old 08-17-16, 09:59 PM
  #15  
DVD Talk Reviewer
 
Kurt D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 7,207
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: Any good resume template websites?

You might also consider wearing cargo shorts both above and below your belly. Shows you can 'think outside the box.'
Old 08-18-16, 06:48 PM
  #16  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Raul3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Picture a cup in the middle of the sea
Posts: 10,705
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Any good resume template websites?

Depending on the kind of job you are applying, sometimes you need to include words related to the job posting, so the program that reads the resume can approve it, in IT, Silicon Valley, they receive too many resumes that they don't, initially, process them manually.

Anyways, best option is to networking, get a inside contact, so your resume can get to the top, or the actual hiring manager can see it.

Linkedin Pro actually allows you to contact directly the hiring manager of most job postings.
Old 08-18-16, 08:03 PM
  #17  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
cultshock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: True North Strong & Free
Posts: 12,607
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Any good resume template websites?

Originally Posted by Raul3 View Post
Depending on the kind of job you are applying, sometimes you need to include words related to the job posting, so the program that reads the resume can approve it, in IT, Silicon Valley, they receive too many resumes that they don't, initially, process them manually.

Anyways, best option is to networking, get a inside contact, so your resume can get to the top, or the actual hiring manager can see it.

Linkedin Pro actually allows you to contact directly the hiring manager of most job postings.
Oh believe me, I included a bunch of terms that only make sense in my industry, so I should be good there.

I'm working on the networking thing too, that's what got me my past several jobs. I'm going to take an educational guess that LinkedIn Pro costs extra?
Old 08-19-16, 06:35 AM
  #18  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
The Bus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: New York
Posts: 54,876
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Any good resume template websites?

It does. But it's not a lot (maybe $15/m). I would also join at least one or two groups (e.g. “IT Security Professionals”) to make it easier to be found by recruiters.
Old 08-19-16, 02:41 PM
  #19  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
cultshock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: True North Strong & Free
Posts: 12,607
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Any good resume template websites?

Thank you for the advice kind sir.
Old 08-19-16, 03:11 PM
  #20  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 5,315
Likes: 0
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: Any good resume template websites?

Originally Posted by Osiris3657 View Post
Go to the interview naked. That'll show the potential employer you have confidence.
Don't wanna do that; they'll clearly see you're nuts

Originally Posted by Raul3 View Post
Depending on the kind of job you are applying, sometimes you need to include words related to the job posting, so the program that reads the resume can approve it, in IT, Silicon Valley, they receive too many resumes that they don't, initially, process them manually.
It's a dirty trick, and I'd never do it for fear of being busted, but I've heard about putting certain "buzzwords" on your resume, in the same color as the background. They're invisible on printouts, but it will get you through the filter programs. So you can claim a Master's from an Ivy League school or something like that.
Old 08-25-16, 10:35 PM
  #21  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
cultshock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: True North Strong & Free
Posts: 12,607
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Any good resume template websites?

Ok, so last week I put a resume together, last Thursday I found a job I was interested in, applied and attached my resume. They contacted me by email on Monday (two business days later, pretty good I thought) and wanted to arrange a "preliminary phone interview" and asked what times were good for me. I told them, we arranged one for Wednesday morning and I thought it went pretty well. I was told that my application would be forwarded to the person in charge of that particular department (my phone interview was just with an HR employee) and they would be in contact within a week. I'm not sure how things work these days, should I email the HR person thanking her for the phone interview (it was basically just general job interview questions, not specific about the job itself) or just wait and see what happens?
Old 08-25-16, 11:49 PM
  #22  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
DJariya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: La Palma, CA
Posts: 56,914
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Re: Any good resume template websites?

Originally Posted by cultshock View Post
Ok, so last week I put a resume together, last Thursday I found a job I was interested in, applied and attached my resume. They contacted me by email on Monday (two business days later, pretty good I thought) and wanted to arrange a "preliminary phone interview" and asked what times were good for me. I told them, we arranged one for Wednesday morning and I thought it went pretty well. I was told that my application would be forwarded to the person in charge of that particular department (my phone interview was just with an HR employee) and they would be in contact within a week. I'm not sure how things work these days, should I email the HR person thanking her for the phone interview (it was basically just general job interview questions, not specific about the job itself) or just wait and see what happens?
Calling an HR person to thank them for their time is a waste of time. It's not going to help expedite your resume to the top of the stack. Right now it's in the hands of the person hiring for that dept. If they think you're a viable candidate, they will contact you personally.

Just wait and see what happens. You can also apply for another position in the meantime. Even if the hiring manager contacts you, it may still be another interview or two before they make a decision and they still have to talk to other candidates. You're talking potentially up to 1 month or longer before they make a decision.

I interviewed for a job once and thought it went great, however I never heard back for almost 1 month. I called to check in and the HR person said they went on a hiring freeze shortly after my interview. Curve balls like that can also happen.
Old 08-26-16, 02:09 PM
  #23  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Chrisedge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: Part of the Left-Wing Conspiracy
Posts: 6,921
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Any good resume template websites?

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
Calling an HR person to thank them for their time is a waste of time. It's not going to help expedite your resume to the top of the stack...
Completely disagree other than the calling part. You should for sure send a followup thank you email. That person is the gate keeper of all jobs at the company. Making a good impression is important as you might work with them later, or apply again for another job with that company.
Old 08-26-16, 03:27 PM
  #24  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
cultshock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: True North Strong & Free
Posts: 12,607
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Any good resume template websites?

Yeah, that's what I kind of thought, I had no intention on calling to thank her, but I took about a minute to thank her by email (which other than the phone interview is how we have been communicating so far). I didn't consider a minute any kind of waste of time, and who knows, it might help a bit.
Old 08-26-16, 03:44 PM
  #25  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Rosemount, MN
Posts: 32,126
Likes: 0
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: Any good resume template websites?

Originally Posted by james2025a View Post
About two weeks ago i decided to update my resume completely from the dull one page of text that it was (don't get me wrong, i was still very happy with the lay out, structure and content in my text resume). I have created something that i am actually really proud of, its eye catching, unique and demonstrates my capabilities. I showed it to my wife and she was not impressed. LOL.

Its funny, but my wife for her works has recently been getting a lot of resumes from people applying for jobs and many of them had a photo of the person included. When did this become a thing? I would NEVER include a photo of myself. Its one of those golden rules. It immediately can create a prejudice for anyone reviewing resumes. Unless of course you have huge tits and like wearing tight cleavage displaying tops. Then i imagine its a given to include a photo on every single resume ever submitted.
I once received a resume from someone who wanted me to hire him to work at our company - it was a Powerpoint on a CD and the last slide was a picture of him in front of our building taken in the parking lot (and it looked like it was after hours. My office window was right behind him.

He did not get a call. It was memorable though.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.