Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

So, is Duff Beer a Pilsner?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

So, is Duff Beer a Pilsner?

Old 08-12-16, 09:51 PM
  #1  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
Mrs. Danger's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: With Nick Danger
Posts: 17,926
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
So, is Duff Beer a Pilsner?



I know it's supposed to be a lager, but it tastes more like a pilsner to me.

Why can't it be an oatmeal stout?

Pilsners just may be the source of all humanity's problems.
Old 08-12-16, 10:51 PM
  #2  
DVD Talk Legend
 
GoldenJCJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Colorado
Posts: 14,201
Likes: 0
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Re: So, is Duff Beer a Pilsner?

Well, since we know that Pawtucket Patriot Ale is a blatant ripoff of Duff, we can surmise that Duff, is in fact, a Pilsner.
Old 08-12-16, 10:57 PM
  #3  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Posts: 17,069
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: So, is Duff Beer a Pilsner?

I just know it's not a fan of Groucho.
Old 08-13-16, 12:23 AM
  #4  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Abob Teff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Not necessarily Formerly known as Solid Snake
Posts: 20,866
Likes: 0
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
Re: So, is Duff Beer a Pilsner?

Not as light and refreshing as

Old 08-13-16, 01:29 AM
  #5  
DVD Talk Hero
 
slop101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: So. Cal.
Posts: 40,391
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: So, is Duff Beer a Pilsner?

It all tastes the same...





They actually have it at the Simpsons theme park at the Universal Studios park in both LA and Orlando (officially licensed Duff beer, not the unauthorized ones from Chile).



A friend who had it told me it does taste like a pilsner.


Originally Posted by Mrs. Danger View Post

Pilsners just may be the source of all humanity's problems.
There are great pilsners out there, they're just hard to find.

Last edited by slop101; 08-13-16 at 01:35 AM.
Old 08-13-16, 08:29 AM
  #6  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Lower Gum Curve
Posts: 19,087
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Re: So, is Duff Beer a Pilsner?

I always thought Duff was supposed to be an American lager, on a par with Old Milwaukee.
Old 08-13-16, 10:27 AM
  #7  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Why So Blu?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 30,989
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Re: So, is Duff Beer a Pilsner?

We already have a craft beer thread.
Old 08-13-16, 10:28 AM
  #8  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
d2cheer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Posts: 9,761
Likes: 0
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: So, is Duff Beer a Pilsner?



No one has posted the obvious joke...
Old 08-13-16, 12:41 PM
  #9  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Ky-Fi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Cape Ann, Massachusetts
Posts: 10,928
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: So, is Duff Beer a Pilsner?

Originally Posted by Mrs. Danger View Post

I know it's supposed to be a lager, but it tastes more like a pilsner to me.

Why can't it be an oatmeal stout?

Pilsners just may be the source of all humanity's problems.
A pilsner is a lager.

Pilsner is a fine style of beer, it's just that most North American (and many European) mass-produced brands of the style are bland, lightly-flavored and overly carbonated.

I generally find that the house-made pilsners from most brewpubs are quite good.
Old 08-13-16, 08:37 PM
  #10  
DVD Talk Reviewer
 
Kurt D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 7,256
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Re: So, is Duff Beer a Pilsner?

Originally Posted by d2cheer View Post


No one has posted the obvious joke...
well get to it! I got nothin' and nobody ever laughs at my jokes anyway
Old 08-13-16, 08:46 PM
  #11  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Osiris3657's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 8,456
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: So, is Duff Beer a Pilsner?

I had a 6 pack of the actual Duff Beer that's brewed in Germany. Not bad honestly, especially compared to stuff like Bud Light, Coors, Miller Lite, etc.

Old 08-14-16, 12:13 AM
  #12  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
Mrs. Danger's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: With Nick Danger
Posts: 17,926
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: So, is Duff Beer a Pilsner?

Too bad Duff beer is banned


in Islamic countries.
Old 08-14-16, 12:18 AM
  #13  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Abob Teff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Not necessarily Formerly known as Solid Snake
Posts: 20,866
Likes: 0
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
Re: So, is Duff Beer a Pilsner?

Originally Posted by d2cheer View Post


No one has posted the obvious joke...
Originally Posted by Kurtie Dee View Post
well get to it! I got nothin' and nobody ever laughs at my jokes anyway
I'm missing it too.
Old 08-14-16, 04:17 PM
  #14  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Allentown,PA
Posts: 1,735
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: So, is Duff Beer a Pilsner?

Was just to Universal Studios Hollywood on Friday, Duff was an amber lager, Duff Lite was a Pilsner, and Duff Dry is a Guinness like stout only available by bottle. When I was in Orlando last October, there was also Duff Oktoberfest.
Old 08-14-16, 04:37 PM
  #15  
Moderator
 
Groucho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 70,875
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: So, is Duff Beer a Pilsner?

Originally Posted by Ky-Fi View Post
A pilsner is a lager.

Pilsner is a fine style of beer, it's just that most North American (and many European) mass-produced brands of the style are bland, lightly-flavored and overly carbonated.

I generally find that the house-made pilsners from most brewpubs are quite good.
Well stated. If you're ever down Utah way try the Uinta 801 Pilsner on tap. It's a session beer (like all draft beer here) but I think it stands up to the better Czech and German Pilsners I've had over the years.
Old 08-14-16, 07:34 PM
  #16  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Ky-Fi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Cape Ann, Massachusetts
Posts: 10,928
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: So, is Duff Beer a Pilsner?

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
Well stated. If you're ever down Utah way try the Uinta 801 Pilsner on tap. It's a session beer (like all draft beer here) but I think it stands up to the better Czech and German Pilsners I've had over the years.
Sounds good! I'm much more on the session beer side of the fence as opposed to the Imperial/hop bomb/Triple IPA heavy stuff. We've had a new brewery/beer garden open up in my area, Notch Brewing, and they focus exclusively on session beers, mostly Czech inspired. Good stuff.
Old 08-15-16, 12:32 PM
  #17  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
Mrs. Danger's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: With Nick Danger
Posts: 17,926
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: So, is Duff Beer a Pilsner?

The suspense is killing me...

is Duff Beer banned, or not?
Old 08-15-16, 01:46 PM
  #18  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 1,677
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: So, is Duff Beer a Pilsner?

Originally Posted by Abob Teff View Post
Not as light and refreshing as

Incidentally, that canned water is real. Not that I doubted its existence, but a friend of mine moved to WV last year, and got some sixers of these when the floods hit earlier this year. He posted a few Instagram pics of them. How odd is it that he had Instagram, but not clean water?
Old 08-15-16, 02:27 PM
  #19  
Admin-MemeCat
 
VinVega's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Caught between the moon and NYC
Posts: 31,836
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Re: So, is Duff Beer a Pilsner?

Originally Posted by Mrs. Danger View Post
The suspense is killing me...

is Duff Beer banned, or not?
mod note - We don't discuss suspended members in the open forum for several reasons. I debated closing this thread when it opened, but it actually morphed into an honest beer discussion, but this is the only time I'll be discussing this individual. Any further coy attempts to bring him up will likely lead to thread closure. Thanks.

Mrs. D, if you really need to know, PM me.
Old 08-15-16, 03:17 PM
  #20  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Abob Teff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Not necessarily Formerly known as Solid Snake
Posts: 20,866
Likes: 0
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
Re: So, is Duff Beer a Pilsner?

Originally Posted by Abob Teff View Post
Not as light and refreshing as

Originally Posted by Rex Fenestrarum View Post
Incidentally, that canned water is real. Not that I doubted its existence, but a friend of mine moved to WV last year, and got some sixers of these when the floods hit earlier this year. He posted a few Instagram pics of them. How odd is it that he had Instagram, but not clean water?
I was waiting for somebody to say something! Thank you!

Oh yes, it's real and if are drinking it you know the shit is hitting the fan in your area. It seems every time I've worked an event (natural disaster) where these turn up, my co-workers grab them for souvenirs. Is it bad that I don't bat an eye because I am used to it?

It does have a bit of a metallic/canned taste but it's actually quite refreshing when really cold. It also cools off quicker and stores easier than plastic bottles.

Internet over potable water -- not that odd. Not only is Internet/cell phone infrastructure quicker to repair, but you can bring in "temporary" infrastructure such as portable cell towers during the recovery effort. Most people do not realize just how complicated and delicate our drinking water and sanitation systems are, not to mention how heavily they are regulated.
Old 08-15-16, 03:24 PM
  #21  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Abob Teff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Not necessarily Formerly known as Solid Snake
Posts: 20,866
Likes: 0
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
Re: So, is Duff Beer a Pilsner?

Originally Posted by VinVega View Post
mod note - We don't discuss suspended members in the open forum for several reasons. I debated closing this thread when it opened, but it actually morphed into an honest beer discussion, but this is the only time I'll be discussing this individual. Any further coy attempts to bring him up will likely lead to thread closure. Thanks.

Mrs. D, if you really need to know, PM me.


Old 08-15-16, 04:09 PM
  #22  
Admin-MemeCat
 
VinVega's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Caught between the moon and NYC
Posts: 31,836
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Re: So, is Duff Beer a Pilsner?

^ Something like that.
Old 08-15-16, 04:54 PM
  #23  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Josh-da-man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: The Bible Belt
Posts: 31,688
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Re: So, is Duff Beer a Pilsner?

Originally Posted by Mrs. Danger View Post


I know it's supposed to be a lager, but it tastes more like a pilsner to me.
On the Simpsons show, Duff Beer is rather obviously modeled after Budweiser. (Duff Man = Bud Man; Duff Gardens = Busch Gardens)

Which would make the Duff Beer on the show a cheap, common lager. If Homer drinks it, it's probably more like something a rung or two below Budweiser like Schaefer's or Milwukee's Best.

If they're going to license the brand out and make a real beer out of it, then it's probably going to be a higher quality beer like a Pilsner or IPA or something.
Old 08-16-16, 07:17 AM
  #24  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
The Bus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: New York
Posts: 54,876
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: So, is Duff Beer a Pilsner?

I like pilsners a lot.
Old 08-16-16, 10:31 AM
  #25  
DRG
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: ND
Posts: 13,421
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: So, is Duff Beer a Pilsner?

Originally Posted by Abob Teff View Post
Oh yes, it's real and if are drinking it you know the shit is hitting the fan in your area. It seems every time I've worked an event (natural disaster) where these turn up, my co-workers grab them for souvenirs. Is it bad that I don't bat an eye because I am used to it?
Ha, yep I still have a can of that from when our city flooded! Although my can is a bit more plain looking... no 'WATER' in big blue letters. It's just the logo in black with a more basic font, if I recall correctly.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.