Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

How much do you use Air Condition at Home?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 08-03-16, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am curious to know as i am looking at buying two new units for my living room. I live in a consistently hot climate, so i use my A/C every single night from around 9pm until 5am. I have met people who never actually turn their A/C off. I have heard people say that turning it on and off constantly can cost most than just leaving it on 24/7. Now i can see that constant turning on and off uses more power, but comparing a use of 8 hours per day compared to 24/7, i cannot see how there could be any saving by leaving it on all the time.

I know that models vary and some are far more cost efficient than others. The units i bought last year for my bedrooms are really great and my electricity bill is never huge.
Old 08-03-16, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: How much do you use Air Condition at Home?

I keep mine running 27/4. My roommate works nights and I work days so someone is always home at some part of the day. The Unit I have has two stages a high and low depending on how much cooling needs to be done. I was told it takes a lot less energy to keep the temperature constant than it does to cool a few degrees.
Old 08-03-16, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Dash View Post
I keep mine running 27/4. My roommate works nights and I work days so someone is always home at some part of the day. The Unit I have has two stages a high and low depending on how much cooling needs to be done. I was told it takes a lot less energy to keep the temperature constant than it does to cool a few degrees.
Yeah i have heard the same thing, but never knew how accurate it was. Actually tempted to leave my A/C on for a whole month 24/7 to see how much my bill comes out to and compare it to my regular bill.
Old 08-03-16, 09:35 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Having moved from a place that gets -40C in winter to a place that doesn't drop below 80F at night time in the summer, yeah... I use my AC a lot.

When I moved in, we kept it at a cool 69F (Nice.) As the months have passed, I've gotten more and more comfortable with 73F and 74F. Couldn't imagine having it any higher than that, though. Even with the ceiling fans on, 74F isn't too bad.

I only turn it up to 77F when we're planning to be out of the house for most of the day. I turn it up to 80F when we're leaving for days. All manual, of course. With my wife and kid at home, there's not much time that it isn't on.

My highest bill, so far, has been about $160, driven mostly by the A/C than anything else in the house.
Old 08-03-16, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

We have central air and run it 24/7 during the Summer months. Right now we keep it at 72 during the day and 68 at night. It usually feels just about right. Anything above 72 feels a tad too hot for me.
Old 08-03-16, 10:09 AM
Axe

I never had air condition in my house, but still even if i had i wouldent use it more than 2-3 hours per day at max and that only if the temperature was 72+
Old 08-03-16, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ View Post
We have central air and run it 24/7 during the Summer months. Right now we keep it at 72 during the day and 68 at night. It usually feels just about right. Anything above 72 feels a tad too hot for me.
similar for me, except we use 74 and 66 (my wife wants to sleep in the arctic). Because of the 66 at night, it rarely kicks on at all during the day because it doesn't come close to 74 until the early evening, when we start cycling the temp down.
Old 08-03-16, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk God

I use it often, because I'm not going to die and think, "Good thing I saved all that money by not having air conditioning."

We're not savages, people.
Old 08-03-16, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2019 TOTY Winner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Around the clock during the summer
76 when not at home, 73 while awake, 75 and a box fan at night
Old 08-03-16, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I have central air, set at 72. If high for the day is 80 or higher, it stays on 24/7. If we get a cooler day in the 70's. I shut it off.
Old 08-03-16, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I have a whole house A/C. I can't imagine running the thing 24/7. A couple hours when I get home and 20 minutes before we go to bed. On the weekend we keep the thermostat at 75. I live in So Cal near the beach so we don't have the heat that some of you have. What do you have $600 electric bills? Seriously why would you keep it on when you're not home?
Old 08-03-16, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

In the summer, my electric bills are in the low 200's. Wife and kids are almost always home in the summer.
Old 08-03-16, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Axe View Post
I never had air condition in my house, but still even if i had i wouldent use it more than 2-3 hours per day at max and that only if the temperature was 72+
Try living in Kansas in full summer. I don't think anyplace in Europe gets as hot as it does in the midwestern and southern US.

I keep mine on 70-74 all day and night, and my bills run close to $200 a month in the summer, even on a level pay plan.
Old 08-03-16, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

We don't have ac, can only think of a handful of days when it would be nice to have.
Old 08-03-16, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by james2025a View Post
As much as we need to
Old 08-03-16, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cungar View Post
I have a whole house A/C. I can't imagine running the thing 24/7. A couple hours when I get home and 20 minutes before we go to bed. On the weekend we keep the thermostat at 75. I live in So Cal near the beach so we don't have the heat that some of you have. What do you have $600 electric bills? Seriously why would you keep it on when you're not home?
We keep ours on 78 degrees year round. Here in Arizona if I turned it off during the days when no one was home I would come home to a 90 degree house and it would take hours to cool it back down not to mention we have pets.
Old 08-03-16, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Are the people who keep in on all day in humid areas? Because 75-76 feels perfectly comfortable to my family in So Cal.
Old 08-03-16, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

We don't have A.C.
Old 08-03-16, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

We have an evaporative cooler, and it runs from around 11am to 11pm. Since it only cools at best 20 degrees from the outside temp, 90+ days can get kind of rough. Much cheaper than an air conditioner though.
Old 08-03-16, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!

Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Having moved from a place that gets -40C in winter to a place that doesn't drop below 80F at night time in the summer, yeah... I use my AC a lot.

We moved the opposite direction years ago, from Florida to Alaska.

Back in Florida, central air was running all the time when outside temps were 70s or above. Just keeping interior humidity levels down was essential.

Up here we have a couple of portable units for the bedrooms and only run them when it feels hot and/or muggy to sleep more comfortably, maybe a handful of weeks each year.
Old 08-03-16, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by cungar View Post
Are the people who keep in on all day in humid areas? Because 75-76 feels perfectly comfortable to my family in So Cal.
Here in PR the humidity is a killer. When it rains even a little the island becomes a giant sauna. Just horrible. I can cope with hot dry weather, but hot and humid sucks. Its another reason why i am considering leaving the A/C on 24/7 as it will help the house with humidity levels. We have been using humidity bags from Costco and they are filling up and being replaced pretty rapidly.

I read a couple of articles discussing this and it seems that dependent on circumstance its best to turn it off every time you leave. I think i am gonna run it for the rest of the month 24/7 and see the bill next month. Our current bill sometimes can come out as low as around $125 and the highest i have had it since buying my house was $175, which is still pretty good, especially considering that the electricity on the island tends to be a lot higher than in most of the US. They still burn fuel here to produce electricity.
Old 08-03-16, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wait... air conditioners HAVE an "off" setting? This is North Carolina, in the summer. Of course the AC is on! If our AC broke down, my GF would immediately go to her father's house or a hotel. Not a joke. We've done it before when the air handler developed a problem and the repair guy couldn't get here until the next morning.

As for power bills, we're usually in the $140 range, peaking in the summer at just under $200. Our home is 100% electric, though, so that includes cooking, water heating, dryer, etc.

Ironically, though, it is unseasonably cool outside today: 79F as a type this.

Last edited by Rex Fenestrarum; 08-03-16 at 02:59 PM.
Old 08-03-16, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yeah NC is hot and humid as hell in the summer. 98's and 99 last week. Thankfully its cooling off today.

As far as AC I keep mine around 74-75 during the day, and chill it down 69-70 at night.
Old 08-03-16, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LurkerDan View Post
similar for me, except we use 74 and 66 (my wife wants to sleep in the arctic).
I would sleep with your wife.

I mean.. because I like it cold in the room also.

But we keep it at 71ish almost all the time. We also have a ceiling fan which keeps things pleasant.
Old 08-03-16, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by kvrdave View Post
I use it often, because I'm not going to die and think, "Good thing I saved all that money by not having air conditioning."

We're not savages, people.
When I was young I used to be really stingy about turning the a/c on so I didn't spend a lot on the electricity bill. At a certain point I realized it was worth $30-$40 to be comfortable for the month. Considering all the money I spend on stupid shit, another few bucks so I'm not feeling miserable is worth it.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.