Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Totaling out a car: experience? (and a My Life Sucks, How Is Yours? rant)

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 07-26-16, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

On Friday morning I went to have the windshield on my truck replaced (cracked). $200+ and two hours later I was as good as new. Seven hours later my daughter rolled my truck. She is fine (first concern). She had a few scratches and was released from the trauma protocols/ER about six hours afterwards.

It's a "work" vehicle, nothing fancy but it was in damned good shape mechanically and cosmetically. I bought it last fall for about $5k with low mileage for its age (2003 Ford Escape with 84,000 miles). I've put about 32,000 miles on for a current odometer read of about 116,000.

KBB value in selling to a private party puts the value at about $3,200. I'm already down about $1,800 but for the miles I don't think that's too bad. How bad is my insurance company going to screw me on the value?

On another rant, I was in a rental vehicle today for work and a 78 year old lady blew through a red light and hit me. Seriously universe, just fucking seriously?!

On yet another rant, my wife and I really haven't given my daughter too much hassle yet. We haven't been letting her go anywhere though. We have talked about it and agreed she wasn't to go to any friends' houses, etc. (She still hasn't come clean about what she was doing when she wrecked -- she was supposed to be at a friend's house almost 25 miles away from the crash, had told her mom she was there when she wasn't, etc.). My daughter has been a real pain in the ass today and my wife let her go spend the night at a friend's house. Between two car crashes, two weeks of multiple crises at work, and now this ... Add all this to my injured hip this summer ... I'm just fed up with the world right now.

I'm sure much of this post was a rambling mess because I am just furious and angry and depressed right now, but thank you for reading!

Last edited by Abob Teff; 07-26-16 at 10:57 PM.
Old 07-26-16, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Totaling out a car: experience? (and a My Life Sucks, How Is Yours? rant)

Sorry to hear about your troubles. How old is your daughter?

I bought a used car at a new car dealership, totalled it about 6 months later. The insurance company paid me more than what I paid for the car. They did a survey of recent sales to determine value.
Old 07-26-16, 11:33 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't have advice to give but just want to say, sorry for your troubles.
Old 07-27-16, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB) View Post
How old is your daughter?
And to top it off, now you have a perv to deal with...
Old 07-27-16, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TomOpus View Post
My first thought, too. Just teasing D.Pham! She'll be a senior in high school this year.

A night's rest has me feeling somewhat better this morning. Thanks though guys! Just needed to do a little venting, especially after the old lady hit me in a rental car yesterday.

The tow truck driver advised me not to let the insurance company move it off the lot until they they have given me an agreed upon price. Of course, the insurance company wants to move it ASAP to lessen the storage fees. Looking for thoughts on this as it will probably come up today.
Old 07-27-16, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

You're probably SOL on the cost of the windshield. Several years ago, I got hit 2 weeks after replacing $700 worth of oxygen sensors in my Nissan Maxima. The insurance company did not care about that. I was actually quite surprised that they totalled it out because the damage was mostly on the drivers side front corner, but the wheel was all bent and jammed up under the car and all the airbags went off. They gave me more than I expected for the car though. It was above the alleged blue book price that I had found online. They also gave me the option of keeping the car and fixing it, but said they would not insure it after it had been totaled, so maybe that will be an option for you. They paid me about 5 days later. I didn't end up buying it, but I found a nearly identical car for sale for the amount of the settlement check, so I have to say the insurance company (State Farm) really came through. I wouldn't fret about the car until you hear from the adjuster.

Also, your daughter should be grounded for at least 2 weeks.
Old 07-27-16, 02:57 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

In August 2002 I bought a brand new Saturn SC2, 3 doors, silver w/ black cloth interior, black front end cover, electric sunroof, electric windows, AM/FM/CD/Cassette w/ high performance speakers, it was a sharp fucking car and I babied it for 13 years, it only had 70,000 miles on it. Then some asshole ran a red light 2 weeks before Christmas 2015 and hit me on the driver's side between the door and the wheel well. Wheel was pushed in and lopsided, frame was bent (possibly broken). Damage didn't appear to be all that extensive visibly, even the insurance adjuster said so, but then the insurance co. opted to total it saying it would have cost more to fix it than the car was worth. Fucking thing cost me $20,000 in 2002, was in excellent condition ( before it was hit), but they only wanted to give me $2700 for it. Ended up buying another SC2 same specs, but with 107,000 miles on it. It's been a money pit but I can't afford a new car. Fucking assholes running red lights...

Last edited by kd5; 08-05-16 at 06:14 PM.
Old 07-27-16, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The last time I had a car totaled, the insurance company gave me more than I originally paid for it.
Old 07-27-16, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I was cut-off on highway 87 in San Jose several years back, it was a rain slicked road and I spun out and flipped my Saturn...the base of the light pole I also knocked over was literally inches from my face having smashed the windshield....but not a scratch on me and no hospital trip, everyone thought I was blessed when they saw my car (tow truck drivers are not warm and fuzzy critters, but the dude looked at me like I must have had a guardian angel looking over me as he drove me home)...so I am really, really, really happy to hear your daughter is okay, as it could have been much worse for her.

Ground her for a month, let her hate you for a bit...it will sink in how lucky she was soon enough that she is healthy enough after the crash to complain about her parents grounding her.

Also, the car I totaled was used, and I actually got back a surprising amount from my insurance considering the depreciation value of a used vehicle I had been driving for over 5 years.
Old 07-27-16, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Psi View Post
I don't have advice to give but just want to say, sorry for your troubles.

This...

Hopefully Abob finds it amusing. I know that made my day...

Edit I see he responded.
Old 07-27-16, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by d2cheer View Post
Hopefully Abob finds it amusing.
I'm glad he did. Even though he's only 1.5 states away, he probably wouldn't feel like driving out this way anyway.
Old 07-27-16, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I had my 01 grand am with 180,000 miles. I hit a deer and naturally it was showing more damage than value. I think they gave me $1800 for it, I found a place to replace a few pieces and paint for $1200 so I made out. It now has 215,000.
Old 07-27-16, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

KBB is not what to look at. It is pretty meaningless.

You would be better off looking at used car sites, newspapers, etc.

Realize that upgraded you do typically don't add value. But upgraded from the factory might.

All kids have accidents. They is why you pay so much for the insurance. However, you do need to get to the bottom and find out what happened. Make sure it wasn't drinking, texting, etc. Get her to one of those driver courses.
Old 07-27-16, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Quatermass View Post
You're probably SOL on the cost of the windshield. Several years ago, I got hit 2 weeks after replacing $700 worth of oxygen sensors in my Nissan Maxima. The insurance company did not care about that. I was actually quite surprised that they totalled it out because the damage was mostly on the drivers side front corner, but the wheel was all bent and jammed up under the car and all the airbags went off. They gave me more than I expected for the car though. It was above the alleged blue book price that I had found online. They also gave me the option of keeping the car and fixing it, but said they would not insure it after it had been totaled, so maybe that will be an option for you. They paid me about 5 days later. I didn't end up buying it, but I found a nearly identical car for sale for the amount of the settlement check, so I have to say the insurance company (State Farm) really came through. I wouldn't fret about the car until you hear from the adjuster.

Also, your daughter should be grounded for at least 2 weeks.
They aren't going to reimburse you repair costs no matter how recently before the accident . You can swap the old ones in if you wanted to but labor would probably make it not worth it
Old 07-27-16, 09:22 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Abob Teff View Post
She'll be a senior in high school this year.
Pic?

Old 07-27-16, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

No major injuries = your life not sucking.
Old 07-28-16, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm glad he did. Even though he's only 1.5 states away, he probably wouldn't feel like driving out this way anyway.
I love KC, the few times I've been there. I'd drive if you'll buy drinks (it's about 5 hours). I need to go to a Royals game ...

You Saturn people -- I'm jealous. I did some contract work for them and my uncle was an original employee. I always wanted a Saturn. They were something special, as you have seen!

Glad to hear so many people have made out so well. I'm not holding my breath. I've really only had one experience with an insurance claim and my company f---ed me royally. Add to that my current run of luck ...

... which gets "better" ... I get home late from work tonight to find out my wife spent the day at a local police department among other places. The "friend" my daughter was staying with last night invited over another girl who then invited some guys ... Long story short, my daughters wallet, debit card, ID, and phone were stolen. As the story unravels it just gets worse (underage drinking, possible sexual assault, and so on); I'll spare the gory details. Anyway, we spent the evening knocking on the doors of these other girls trying to track down information on the guys (who they amazingly don't know).

On the way home I flat out laid down the law -- no replacement phone, no going anywhere other than work, no borrowing anybody's phone, no social media, no driving, and I still may have her license yanked (parents can do that it in Illinois). My wife and I are barely speaking and my daughter won't talk to me. I haven't been the nicest person tonight, but I also haven't let everything fly. Oh well, I'm the bad guy.
Old 07-28-16, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JimRochester View Post
I had my 01 grand am with 180,000 miles. I hit a deer and naturally it was showing more damage than value. I think they gave me $1800 for it, I found a place to replace a few pieces and paint for $1200 so I made out. It now has 215,000.
That's what irks me about it -- even with dropping 30,000 miles on it in less than a year, it had no mechanical issues. I wish it was just cosmetic ...

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
KBB is not what to look at. It is pretty meaningless.

You would be better off looking at used car sites, newspapers, etc.

Realize that upgraded you do typically don't add value. But upgraded from the factory might.

All kids have accidents. They is why you pay so much for the insurance. However, you do need to get to the bottom and find out what happened. Make sure it wasn't drinking, texting, etc. Get her to one of those driver courses.
I will start doing some comparison shopping. Good advice. As for what she was doing ... Still not buying it, but I'll wait until the insurance is done before I push it.

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
No major injuries = your life not sucking.
I know this, from the top of my brain to the bottom of my heart. We're having a hard time getting her to understand that and I'm just having a hard time coping with the way everything is piling on.
Old 07-28-16, 05:26 AM

... which gets "better" ... I get home late from work tonight to find out my wife spent the day at a local police department among other places. The "friend" my daughter was staying with last night invited over another girl who then invited some guys ... Long story short, my daughters wallet, debit card, ID, and phone were stolen. As the story unravels it just gets worse (underage drinking, possible sexual assault, and so on); I'll spare the gory details. Anyway, we spent the evening knocking on the doors of these other girls trying to track down information on the guys (who they amazingly don't know).
Where is/are the parent(s) of the girl who had the sleep over with the guys, underage drinking, sexual assault, and robbery? Or is this parent one of those oblivious parents I read so much about in the news? I'd be on the horn to him/her to get that side of the story. And if that story smells fishy, I'd be dealing some well-chosen words in that direction, also.

Sounds like you're doing the right thing to me. I wouldn't go ballistic, but I would quietly and forcefully put my foot down and leave it down for the time being. And tell your daughter that her friend is off limits until the start of the new school year.
Old 07-28-16, 05:49 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm not sure how I would stick together in trying to handle your current situations... but man, I feel for you, I do indeed! It seems likely that you have trust issues with your daughter. The positive from all of this is it may be the trial by fire that is necessary to mend these concerns. Parents can try so hard to be good but ultimately her (bad) decisions should not reflect on your parenting skills. You've done a good job. Just keep telling yourself that, and it will get better for all of you...
Old 07-28-16, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My family was just in an accident at the end of May. My wife was driving our 2006 Honda Odyssey with 41,105 miles on it when the guy in front of her tried to get over but couldn't so he slammed his brakes on and she hit the back of his car with the front passenger side of our van. Thankfully the airbags went off and everyone walked away relatively fine. The adjuster totaled the car, usually when the airbags go off they total the car due to the cost, and gave us $9,408 due to the low mileage and good condition of the car.

Not sure if it is only a NJ law but the insurance company has to be able to find you a similar car (including the amount of miles on it) for the price they are giving you or they have to give you enough to buy a similar car with around the same mileage of the car that was totaled.
Old 07-28-16, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

... which gets "better" ...
My condolences. I hope I never have to deal with that stuff.

In the tradition of Otter, this thread could get much more interesting, depending how much you want to open up about.
Old 07-28-16, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Franchot View Post
Where is/are the parent(s) of the girl who had the sleep over with the guys, underage drinking, sexual assault, and robbery? Or is this parent one of those oblivious parents I read so much about in the news? I'd be on the horn to him/her to get that side of the story. And if that story smells fishy, I'd be dealing some well-chosen words in that direction, also.

Sounds like you're doing the right thing to me. I wouldn't go ballistic, but I would quietly and forcefully put my foot down and leave it down for the time being. And tell your daughter that her friend is off limits until the start of the new school year.
I talked to the dad late last night on the phone (he wasn't home when we were there, the step-mom was asleep). I haven't quite sussed out if he is oblivious, but I'm suspecting. Apparently he was there and was asleep. He said he was woke up by one of the girls falling down the stairs (drunk, I presume) and sent the boys home before he knew the magnitude of it all. I guess I'll get a better sense after the police talk to him.

The other kids are all from other schools, so that's easy enough. School starts in a few weeks and the punishment will last much longer.
Old 07-28-16, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler View Post
My condolences. I hope I never have to deal with that stuff.

In the tradition of Otter, this thread could get much more interesting, depending how much you want to open up about.
So now we have some strange lady that has moved into the house and she has started moving furniture out ... Just trying to punch this up a bit. Maybe I should have the totaled truck put in my living room so I can store 8-tracks and Beta tapes in it.

(Thank you to all. Appreciate the opportunity to rant and rave and actually have it met with some support!)
Old 07-28-16, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Holy fuck, I feel for you man. I'm not looking forward to when my daughter is a teenager.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.