Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

The Disneyland/California Adventure Thread

Old 07-24-16, 02:01 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

The Disneyland/California Adventure Thread

I figured it would be nice to create a separate thread for Disneyland and California Adventure rather then lump things in to what seems to be a mostly Disneyworld thread. Especially since these parks are in my back yard rather then all the way in Florida

Anyway, it had been rumored for a bit that the Tower of Terror was going to get turned in to a Guardians of the Galaxy ride, and Marvel confirmed it today.

http://marvel.com/news/live_events/2...ssion_breakout

Beginning summer 2017, the outrageous and irreverent gang will appear in Guardians of the Galaxy - Mission: BREAKOUT! - a comically high-energy, rocking new adventure. Guests will be right in the mix with characters from the blockbuster “Guardians of the Galaxy“ films.

Deep inside his fortress-like collection, the mysterious Taneleer Tivan (aka The Collector) is displaying his newest acquisitions, the Guardians of the Galaxy. They are trapped in customized display cases, suspended over a vast abyss. Unbeknownst to their unscrupulous captor, the intrepid Rocket has escaped and is enlisting the Collector’s VIP guests for help. Guests board a gantry lift, which launches them into a chaotic and hilarious adventure as they join Rocket in an attempt to break his fellow Guardians out of captivity.

The new attraction will anchor a broader universe of Super Heroes that will grow over time at Disney California Adventure park. This exciting new presence will transform the structure currently housing The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror™ (scheduled to close in early 2017) into an epic new adventure, enhancing the breathtaking free fall sensation with all-new visual and audio effects to create a variety of ride experiences. Guests will experience multiple random, unique ride profiles in which the rise and fall of the gantry lift will rock to the beat of music inspired by the film’s popular soundtrack.
I really like the Tower of Terror (just went a couple months ago to California Adventure) but I can see how Twilight Zone doesn't really resonate with people these days.

Some concept art in that link -

Old 07-24-16, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: The Disneyland/California Adventure Thread

I'm going to Disneyland for the first time in August for 3 days. I'm usually a Disneyworld guy (east coaster),I am looking forward to the ride differences and different rides.
I'm OK with the changing of Tower of Terror, I love the Twilight Zone, but this is a nice change in my book. Since Disney can't do anything Marvel in Orlando, it will still be TZ there.
Old 07-24-16, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The nice part of DL is so much less walking.

Also Radiator Springs at night is cool.
Old 07-24-16, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Nothing like opening doors that overlook Carsland, Bugland, and Grizzly Mountain to remind you that you're on planet Earth... while on a ride re-designed to make you feel like you're on another world.

ToT has only been at Disneyland since 2004. Seems a bit soon for a major re-design. Does beat the heck out of Star Tours though.
Old 07-24-16, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Love that they are finally adding Marvel attractions at Disney parks. Bummed that we will miss the opening (going to DLR Spring Break 2017).
Old 07-24-16, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post

Also Radiator Springs at night is cool.
Cars Land might be the best looking design i've seen at a theme park. I wish there was more to do, although the main Cars ride is pretty neat, but damn those mountain ranges look amazing at night.
Old 07-24-16, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The whole town of Radiator Springs looks great at night. Best movie adaptation at a Disney park. Almost as good as Harry Potter at Universal Orlando. Really gives me hope that Avatar and Star Wars will be done as well as Cars.
Old 07-24-16, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Haven't been in like 6 months, but I've heard even with the price increases and the Star Wars stuff not being opened yet, it's more packed than ever, even off peak. Can't imagine what it'll be like once the new attractions are open. Should help that the article seems to indicate that the Marvel stuff will mainly be in CA though.
Old 07-24-16, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Marvel stuff will only be in CA. Universal still has the rights to Marvel attractions in Florida.
Old 07-24-16, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm kind of sad that ToT will change its theme. It's my favorite ride, and I love the Twilight Zone theme.
Old 07-24-16, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni View Post
Marvel stuff will only be in CA. Universal still has the rights to Marvel attractions in Florida.
I think he meant California Adventure there. Disneyland itself won't be having the Marvel presence, though there had been speculation of a Stark tower type attraction for Tomorrowland (in the old Carousel Of Progress/America Sings/Innoventions area).
Old 07-24-16, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Yeah, they've already had various Stark/Superhero type stuff over there recently although I don't think it's ever been a permanent thing (promotions for movie releases, I think?). I really hope to see more Marvel stuff out here.
Old 07-24-16, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TheKing View Post
I think he meant California Adventure there. Disneyland itself won't be having the Marvel presence, though there had been speculation of a Stark tower type attraction for Tomorrowland (in the old Carousel Of Progress/America Sings/Innoventions area).
Gotcha, yeah, I read CA as the abbreviation for the state, not as a shortening of California Adventure, which makes more sense in context. Thanks.
Old 07-25-16, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Over time I would expect Marvel attractions to be placed in both CA and DL. Now that Star Wars is going in it's own area, the TL really needs some new life. Marvel would be perfect for that.

The crowds for DLR are up because of the 60th Anniversary. And yeah, I think the crowds will be even more insane once the Star War area opens. But it will even things out again. Ever since Cars Land opened, and now with the new Soarin update, reports are that there is often more people on the CA side than the DL side.
Old 07-25-16, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by hdnmickey View Post
The whole town of Radiator Springs looks great at night. Best movie adaptation at a Disney park. Almost as good as Harry Potter at Universal Orlando. Really gives me hope that Avatar and Star Wars will be done as well as Cars.
While I agree, the rides (the simulation rides) at HP are some of the best rides I've been on, anywhere. And pushes HP over RS in my book.
Old 07-25-16, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm considering doing the Stat Wars half marathon at DL in January. It is the same weekend I look at doing the Rock N Roll half in Arizona so I already have vacation on the books.

But dang, that is an expensive race ($185). And reviews of the race itself seem so-so.

Looks like I would have to decide quickly as the other distances have already sold out.
Old 07-25-16, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I love Star Wars but if having to choose, I would totally do the Rock 'N Roll one.
Old 07-25-16, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

One of the "Star Wars Land" rides will feature this technology
Old 07-25-16, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Bummed but whatever. I'm sure the new ride will be pretty good. The Twilight Zone theme with the easter eggs spread throughout gave it an amazing creepy vibe.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 07-25-16 at 01:51 PM.
Old 07-25-16, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

^^^

I was just there last month. I went to Day 2 of Shanghai Disneyland and managed to go on that ride and the new Tron ride.

Waiting for Tron was torture. 2 1/2 hour wait in about 90 degree heat. But, the ride was super cool even though it lasted about 4 minutes tops.

The Pirates Ride above was cool and the wait wasn't too bad. The technology as seen in the ^^ video was pretty neat in person.
Old 07-25-16, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Never been on tower of terror.. Guess I better hurry up and do it before it is changed.

Last time I was there was for a preview of California Adventure about 2 weeks before it opened to the public. So.. I guess that was in 2001?
Old 07-25-16, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by General Zod View Post
Never been on tower of terror.. Guess I better hurry up and do it before it is changed.

Last time I was there was for a preview of California Adventure about 2 weeks before it opened to the public. So.. I guess that was in 2001?
Unless it's changed, all it was for me was an indoor parachute drop. I guess I didn't find it all that thrilling. Maybe I missed something.
Old 07-25-16, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by cungar View Post
Unless it's changed, all it was for me was an indoor parachute drop. I guess I didn't find it all that thrilling. Maybe I missed something.
The Orlando version is MUCH better. Much more "ride" before the tower portion than either California or Paris versions, providing a more atmospheric experience.

We were pretty disappointed having ridden the Orlando version before the others.
Old 07-25-16, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by SmackDaddy View Post
The Orlando version is MUCH better. Much more "ride" before the tower portion than either California or Paris versions, providing a more atmospheric experience.

We were pretty disappointed having ridden the Orlando version before the others.
This...

I actually wish they did more of all the "other" stuff than the drops...
Old 07-26-16, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'll be there in mid-august. again. just was at DL/CA a couple week ago for dinner/fireworks.
my AP ends in August so that will be the end of my trips there for hopefully a year.

I like the Twilight Zone theming on ToT but i can see why they'd change it since the TZ contract is running out and they already have control of the the GotG theme.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.