Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

The Disneyland/California Adventure Thread

Old 09-02-17, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: The Disneyland/California Adventure Thread

Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
We are doing 3 days at Disney in October with the kids. Well, 2 days and we decided to do one of the Disney Halloween nights.
If possible do not do the Halloween party the same day as one of you other full days in the parks. And even thought they don't advertise it, you can get into the "party" starting at 4:00pm.
Old 09-02-17, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by hdnmickey View Post
If possible do not do the Halloween party the same day as one of you other full days in the parks. And even thought they don't advertise it, you can get into the "party" starting at 4:00pm.
Yeah we knew about the 4pm entry, so we aren't doing any Disney related stuff during the day. Going to do Halloween on a Tuesday night, then do other parks on Weds/Thurs. We are staying at that Courtyard that has a water park, so that will occupy your down time. Thanks.
Old 09-05-17, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

if your Halloween party is on a tuesday, i think you can get into the park at 3. its supposed to be 3 hours before party time and party time is usually 6pm on weekdays and 7pm on weekends.
Old 09-05-17, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
We took advantage of our passes last night, getting to Disneyland around 8 PM and hanging out for an hour before close. Hopped quickly on to the Matterhorn, Star Tours, and Pirates (since Splash Mountain was already closed) before closing while grabbing a churro too. Pretty nice to get in and out like that with minimal lines. Now to do it a dozen or so more times
This is what we used to do. Walking IN while thousands of Tourists and lightweights are walking OUT is worth the price of admission. The ride lines are shorter and you can often get on a ride more than once back to back. Plus no hot sun to deal with.
Old 09-05-17, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

We got annual passes last January.

Wife is at Disneyland now with her two BFFs (who are also passholders) for a few days. Left Monday noon and staying until closing Thursday. They were able to make it to the park Monday night because it was open longer, but it closes at 8 the rest of the week. Even though DL closes earlier, if I know these women, they'll peruse the gift stores in Downtown Disney and probably not leave until 10 or 11pm.

Not thrilled about them driving late at night after a full day at DL.

They did this last April, also.

What makes it all worse is that I'm the "real" Disney fan in the family.
Old 09-05-17, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's the same way early in the morning. If you are early risers like us you can do most of the major attractions before the bulk of the crowd even arrives. I'm always amazed how many people spend good money to head to theme parks and only go during the busy afternoon hours when the parks are the busiest. They come home complaining about how little they were able to do because the lines were so long.
Old 09-05-17, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's the same way early in the morning. If you are early risers like us you can do most of the major attractions before the bulk of the crowd even arrives. I'm always amazed how many people spend good money to head to theme parks and only go during the busy afternoon hours when the parks are the busiest. They come home complaining about how little they were able to do because the lines were so long.
I'm amazed at my own family for that. I go on my own if no one else will wake up. We stay onsite in our Disney timeshare, so they are giving up California Adventure early entry which has much lower attendance that Disneyland Magic Mornings. Drives me nuts. My kids do like to close down the parks though (and then hit Trader Sams), and I rarely stay out that late.
Old 11-13-17, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Okay folks, T minus 2 days and my family and I will be temporary guests at the Disney Paradise Hotel. This is the second time I’ve been to Disneyland (the first being on their 30th anniversary, yikes), so nothing is the same as I remember. So I was wondering those who have been there or frequent it, if you can give me some feedback on good places to eat in the Disneyland area (including Paradise Pier, Downtown Disney, etc)? Any tips on the more notable things to see other than the usual rides? We’ll be with our 4 year old twins, so most of the bigger rides are out. But any tips would be appreciated.

We plan on hitting the park early every day the 4 days we’ll be there, so hopefully the lines will be sparse.
Old 11-13-17, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by E Unit View Post
Okay folks, T minus 2 days and my family and I will be temporary guests at the Disney Paradise Hotel. This is the second time I’ve been to Disneyland (the first being on their 30th anniversary, yikes), so nothing is the same as I remember. So I was wondering those who have been there or frequent it, if you can give me some feedback on good places to eat in the Disneyland area (including Paradise Pier, Downtown Disney, etc)? Any tips on the more notable things to see other than the usual rides? We’ll be with our 4 year old twins, so most of the bigger rides are out. But any tips would be appreciated.

We plan on hitting the park early every day the 4 days we’ll be there, so hopefully the lines will be sparse.
How old are your kids and which days are you going? Do you get magic mornings with the hotel stay?

The holiday rush is already on, I made the mistake of going last Friday, which was a holiday plus the first day the Xmas themed small world was open, and it was packed. The fastpass line for small world looked like a regular line on a normal day, we didn't even attempt it.
Old 11-13-17, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

They’re both 4, and we’ll be there starting Wednesday at the hotel to walk around, but will be going into the park this Thursday through Sunday. We have a Bippity Boppity Boutique appointment Friday at 8am. God help me. But Paradise Pier does have magic mornings, so we’ll be doing that all 4 days if we can.
Old 11-13-17, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by E Unit View Post

If your girls are into meeting with the characters be sure to hit at least one of the character meals. There is a restaurant that does these in each of one of the DL resorts, and one in each park. If they are into Frozen, be sure to check out the show in the Hyperion theater. There is also a fun show just to the left of the castle that features the princesses.

As for the lines, your in luck because most of the stuff the girls will be into will have very short lines. But do make sure you take advantage of the child swap and do a few of the adult rides. GotG Mission Breakout is awesome of you score FastPasses for it (don't wait in the stand-by line, get FP's or do single rider. Same goes for Soarin', the Matterhorn, Space Mountain, and Big Thunder Mountain.

And if they are up for it (be sure to do naps) the night time events are all excellent (Fantasmic, World of Color, and the fireworks in DL). There are dinner/show options for those if you look into them that make viewing those far easier.

With kids in tow it will be tougher to make it through a meal at the better full service restaurants. But each park has some great quick service places. The Hungary Bear just behind the Winnie the Pooh ride and the Cozy Cones in California Adventure just to name a couple.
Old 11-13-17, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes, the best option is to get to each park early (including Magic Mornings) and do the rides that are likely to have long lines later. For the little ones that will the holiday It's A Small World, Haunted Mansion Holiday, Peter Pan, and Alice in Wonderland. If they are tall enough make sure to do the Radiator Springs Racers first on the California Adventure side. If not, then hit Toy Story Mania first.
Old 11-13-17, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Depending on the package you get the Boutique should take less than an hour, and Peter Pan, Alice in Wonderland are right there, with Small World around the corner.

I would try to reserve a character breakfast or lunch asap, in case they're sold out. If they like princesses, Ariel's grotto in California Adventure is (naturally) overpriced but they get to see like 6 or 7 princesses, which beats waiting in line for them elsewhere. Otherwise all the hotels including Paradise Pier have a character breakfast as well.

Even though Paradise Pier is a little further away than the other Disneyland hotels (but not that far), the best part about staying near is easy access back to the hotel for nap breaks.

They have something new (at least to me) called Maxpass, which allows you to check into fastpass from your phone, but you have to upgrade all of your tickets. I'm not sure exactly how it works or if it's worth it, it just seems to me like it would clog up the fastpass entry lines with more people. But while I've never used it you can go on the big rides, taking turns with a parent watching the kids while the other one goes, so fastpass is probably good for that so they don't have to wait in line.

Just to put it in perspective, the line to get corndogs was like 30 minutes, easy.
Old 11-13-17, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

We already have Ariel’s Grotto for a character breakfast. Good to know she’ll see all of the princesses, so her head can explode early. My son is hyped for all things Lightning McQueen, so at least we have the rest of the Adventure side for that. 30 minutes for a corndog? May have to pass on that one.

I read about the MaxPass thing and using it on the app, but if we have to upgrade, screw that. We got a Costco package, so I’m good with that. And thanks hdnmickey for the ride suggestions, I think those were the big ones on our hit list. Everything else will be gravy, and I know our kids will enjoy just seeing so much stuff there.
Old 11-13-17, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Be sure to avoid the Legionnaires’ Disease Ride!
Old 11-13-17, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by gmanca View Post
Be sure to avoid the Legionnaires’ Disease Ride!
But that's the one with the shortest line!
Old 11-13-17, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

You'll probably not experience really big crowds until late Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. And even on the weekend you'll be fine for a few hours if you get there at park opening. Take afternoon breaks when the parks are their busiest. Plus the rides that get the longest lines tend to be the ones for older kids and adults.

The lines for food can get quite long (not just for corndogs) so try and eat at off times (lunch 11:00 to 11:30, dinner 4:00 to 4:30).
Old 11-13-17, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'll be there with my family starting saturday. its going to be crowded.

get there as early as possible, ride rides until 1 or so, then go back and take a nap or watch tv or go to the pool for a few hours and returned to the parks in the evening
Old 11-14-17, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I went to Disneyland back in September and fully recommend the Fastpass upgrade with the app. We never waited in line, and were able to to go to all the rides we wanted.
Old 11-14-17, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

How much does that app upgrade cost, and what does it get you that you can't get by just walking up to the normal FP machines? They implemented this after our visit last year.
Old 11-14-17, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk God

Yup the MaxPass thing on app is a God send. Only downside is shaky connectivity occasionally I side the park.
Old 11-14-17, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

maxpass is $10 for each pass for each day. if you have an AP, you can add a year of maxpass for $75.
its the same as normal fastpasses except:
-you dont have to walk over and get them, and
-you can get another after a maximum of 90 minutes as opposed to 120 minutes with normal fastpass.

the 90 minutes is great when its busy since if at 10am you get a FP for Guardians of the Galaxy that has the return time of 2pm, you can get another FP at 11:30 instead of at noon.
not having to walk to get the fastpass is great too since you can get another fastpass while waiting in line for a ride you just used a fastpass on.
Old 11-14-17, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

How much does that app upgrade cost, and what does it get you that you can't get by just walking up to the normal FP machines? They implemented this after our visit last year.
$10 a ticket.

https://disneyland.disney.go.com/gue...vices/maxpass/

I didn't think much of it at first, but my wife and I added it to our annual passes and it's nice to request a FastPass on your phone rather then having to go to the actual ride location. Although Disney was smart enough to prevent you from using it until you're actually in the park We were trying to do it from the parking structure and it wouldn't let us.

The photo thing is nice for those that do a lot of the photo ops, my wife and I have been doing a few of the holiday ones (in front of a pumpkin, in front of the christmas tree) and it's nice having them saved automatically.

We went on Sunday afternoon to see the holiday decorations and it wasn't "too" bad, hour waits for the major stuff.
Old 11-14-17, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks. I had a chance to look this up in the app itself after that post. Had not opened the app since we let the parks last year.

The selling point for us is photopass/ride photo aspect. We usually ended up buying that at the end of the trip anyway. I suspect we would end up getting a few FP's via the app during the day. But that honestly wouldn't be the top selling point since it's not that difficult to get those for free using the machines in the parks. There's only ever a couple times that we want to get a FP for something that is all the way on the other side of each park.
Old 11-16-17, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

5 minutes for a corndog! Freshly made to boot. Good times so far. The magic hour for being a hotel guest really does help. By the time Disneyland opened to the public, the Peter Pan ride already had a 30 minute wait. We got on in about 3 minutes.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.