Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

The Disneyland/California Adventure Thread

Old 06-28-17, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk God

Re: The Disneyland/California Adventure Thread

Originally Posted by devilshalo View Post
If you stay at any of the park resorts, at least you have "magic hour".
We won't and unlikely we buy 3 day pass since we will be doing 2 says at park + Halloween party entrance one night.
Old 06-28-17, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

We just returned from DLR and it was very easy to get GOTG Fastpasses during the day. Quite often the return time for the FP's were before you would get in waiting in stand-by. And with GOTG dispersing the crowds, the same is true for the other attractions in the park now, including the Radiator Springs Racers.

And IMO, the GotG upgrade to the old ToT is fantastic and is very worth checking out more than once. At a minimum, the ride music could be different on every ride. Not sure if anything else changes up randomly with each turn.
Old 08-26-17, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Someone school me on annual passes. What's the best value or options? If it's just me and my wife, is it worth it for one of us to get the Disney Signature Passport just to get theme park parking?

We were otherwise debating between the Southern California Passport ($469) versus the Deluxe Passport ($619) and we figure just 10 trips over the year and paying for parking would make the Signature Passport at $849 worth it. We live 15 minutes away, and we basically want to be able to go just for a couple hours if we're bored one evening.
Old 08-26-17, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Had no idea the annual passes are now that expensive! Damn, I remember the days of $99 annual passes for SoCal residents, and that wasn't too many years ago, in the recent past.

Don't mean to make a smart-ass comment, but can you figure out a better way to spend your $849, other than lining Disney's coffers? What a rip-off! $849 could probably purchase a 70-inch 4k set on Black Friday! Well, to each his own, but I'd rather travel to Europe again for my $849...
Old 08-26-17, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
but I'd rather travel to Europe again for my $849...
Maybe you should fly to Malaysia instead. On Malaysia Airlines.
Old 08-26-17, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Don't mean to make a smart-ass comment, but can you figure out a better way to spend your $849, other than lining Disney's coffers? What a rip-off! $849 could probably purchase a 70-inch 4k set on Black Friday! Well, to each his own, but I'd rather travel to Europe again for my $849...
Thankfully I don't share the same absurd feelings towards corporations that you do, let alone anywhere near your views on the value of goods and services. That sounds like a miserable life to live. Fortunately, since I already own a nice 4K TV and went to Europe earlier in the year, I don't see an issue splurging a little to enjoy Disneyland at my leisure for the next year.

Plus, long as Disney keeps putting out quality products and enjoyable entertainment, I guess you'll have to deal with people like me happily giving them money.

"Thanks" for your valuable input to my question and this thread though.

Originally Posted by TomOpus View Post
Maybe you should fly to Malaysia instead. On Malaysia Airlines.
Old 08-27-17, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

He's right regarding the price. Over the last twenty years a one day ticket to Disneyland grew from approximately $75 to $100, during that same period annual passes have gone from $99 to $300 and up. It's crazy. That being said I always say your money gets you so much at Disneyland. Unique, expensive, legendary rides, a parade, a fireworks show. Everything is fresh and clean and newly painted. They put on a four star show.

Last edited by Mabuse; 08-27-17 at 08:12 PM.
Old 08-27-17, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
His right regarding the price. Over the last twenty years a one day ticket to Disneyland grew from approximately $75 to $100, during that same period annual passes have gone from $99 to $300 and up. It's crazy. That being said I always say your money gets you so much at Disneyland. Unique, expensive, legendary rides, a parade, a fireworks show. Everything is fresh and clean and newly painted. They put on a four star show.
From this I infer four things:

1. Disney's greed knows no bounds.

2. Labor is no longer cheap (Disney can no longer hire illegal immigrants to do the cleaning and painting, etc). Living in SoCal for 40+ years and seeing this "change" firsthand, I can vouch for this one.

3. People have a lot more expendable income now than 20 years ago.

4. Disney may be a (sanitized) four-star show, but the intrinsic value of four-star entertainment has skyrocketed compared to 20 years ago. Further, four-star shows are an extremely limited and scarce resource now. Ergo, the overall subjective quality of entertainment has plummeted to a nadir compared to the past.

I loved Disney during the days they were still a good value. Now, it's ridiculous.
Old 08-27-17, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

From this I infer four things:

1. Disney's greed knows no bounds.

2. Labor is no longer cheap (Disney can no longer hire illegal immigrants to do the cleaning and painting, etc). Living in SoCal for 40+ years and seeing this "change" firsthand, I can vouch for this one.

3. People have a lot more expendable income now than 20 years ago.

4. Disney may be a (sanitized) four-star show, but the intrinsic value of four-star entertainment has skyrocketed compared to 20 years ago. Further, four-star shows are an extremely limited and scarce resource now. Ergo, the overall subjective quality of entertainment has plummeted to a nadir compared to the past.

I loved Disney during the days they were still a good value. Now, it's ridiculous.
#2 didn't sound right to me, so I googled it. There was one incident, in 1993, where the INS investigated Disneyland and uncovered 5 illegal immigrants. I don't think that explains the lower prices in the past.

And your #4 is nutty and somewhat incoherent.
Old 08-27-17, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I have family that works there and apparently California Adventure and some of the restaurants are going to undergo a remodeling job in January that will extend until next Summer. They are changing the theme to one restaurant from Ariel's Grotto to more boy/girl friendly Pixar.
Old 08-27-17, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
#2 didn't sound right to me, so I googled it. There was one incident, in 1993, where the INS investigated Disneyland and uncovered 5 illegal immigrants. I don't think that explains the lower prices in the past.

And your #4 is nutty and somewhat incoherent.
First time seeing one of zyzzle's posts? Every one is about the evil and greed of corporations.

Anyway, knowing how packed Disneyland is these days even with the insane price hikes, I've always heard that a big part of it is by necessity to artificially control park populations. That's also why they got rid of some of the annual passport options for So Cal residents before bringing it back last year.

For me, I figure if I can spend $500 on a video game console, $600+ on a cell phone, $150 a month on cable and TV bills, the monthly breakdown of an annual pass isn't that insane for being a local resident that will probably end up going more then a dozen times.

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
I have family that works there and apparently California Adventure and some of the restaurants are going to undergo a remodeling job in January that will extend until next Summer. They are changing the theme to one restaurant from Ariel's Grotto to more boy/girl friendly Pixar.
I've also seen rumors about basically changing all of Paradise Pier to Pixar themed, including changing California Screamin' to a Incredibles themed coaster.

I'm not surprised, since I'm sure out of staters couldn't give two shits about "California" aspects of the park.
Old 08-27-17, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
Someone school me on annual passes. What's the best value or options? If it's just me and my wife, is it worth it for one of us to get the Disney Signature Passport just to get theme park parking?

We were otherwise debating between the Southern California Passport ($469) versus the Deluxe Passport ($619) and we figure just 10 trips over the year and paying for parking would make the Signature Passport at $849 worth it. We live 15 minutes away, and we basically want to be able to go just for a couple hours if we're bored one evening.
Serious answer...

If you're thinking of purchasing an annual pass, you should do your best to abuse the privilege. Do not think about breaking even. Go twice as many times as you think you want to go. I think it's worth it to get the Signature Passport because at some point, they'll raise parking fees AGAIN. In the past year it rose $2. Better to lock that in now. Your only blackout dates are during Christmas (which is the busiest time of the year). Do I think the Max Pass is worth it? Well, I go when they open and ride everything I need to before 11am rolls around. No need for the new fast pass system. Your best bets to ride things are as they open or as they close. Do you need unlimited photopass? Probably not. So the max pass doesn't warrant the extra money to get the Signature Plus Passport. Also, there's no more free 2 hour parking at Downtown Disney. Either you must get validated or show a receipt that you spent $20+ at shops there.
Old 08-28-17, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Serious answer...

If you're thinking of purchasing an annual pass, you should do your best to abuse the privilege. Do not think about breaking even. Go twice as many times as you think you want to go. I think it's worth it to get the Signature Passport because at some point, they'll raise parking fees AGAIN. In the past year it rose $2. Better to lock that in now. Your only blackout dates are during Christmas (which is the busiest time of the year). Do I think the Max Pass is worth it? Well, I go when they open and ride everything I need to before 11am rolls around. No need for the new fast pass system. Your best bets to ride things are as they open or as they close. Do you need unlimited photopass? Probably not. So the max pass doesn't warrant the extra money to get the Signature Plus Passport. Also, there's no more free 2 hour parking at Downtown Disney. Either you must get validated or show a receipt that you spent $20+ at shops there.
Thanks

We went today for the CHOC Walk in the Park, and ended up getting a Deluxe for myself and Signature for my wife to account for parking. But yeah, we honestly expect to go 20+ times over the course of the year and use Disneyland as a date night trip or whenever we're bored on a random night so we'll definitely "abuse" the pass as much as possible. We realized there were too many blackout days for the So Cal Pass, and we also think we'll likely have family that visit randomly that will want to go and didn't want to get stuck on a blacked out day either.

I didn't think about that for the Max Pass, but they also give the option to just pay $75 for it as a yearly add on to an annual pass.
Old 08-28-17, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I didn't think about that for the Max Pass, but they also give the option to just pay $75 for it as a yearly add on to an annual pass.
Even then, think about when you use the fast pass and figure out what are the rides you would use it for. GOTG, Radiator Springs Racers are the two that usually 'sell out' of fast passes during peak periods. Space Mountain will usually get you a time 4 hours later if you arrive after 12. It's little things like that. I know you'd be going as a couple, but I've often get ahead of people in fast pass lines as a single rider (for those rides that accept single rider).

I got lucky that I renewed before they announced the Max Pass. So I keep my unlimited photopass until next July. I abuse the shit out of that too because digital downloads are free. So when family and friends are in town, and they take pics with the AR stuff or characters or rides shots, I'm always using it (even when I'm not with them, I'll tell them to send me the photo codes and I'll link it to the pass.) And photopass holds them for 1 year before they delete it from your account (it used to be 45 days).

Sucks is that while they JUST changed Space Mountain back to its original concept, it's down along with Haunted Mansion because they're about to convert it for Halloween.
Old 08-28-17, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have the Deluxe, it lets you go most of the time. the times when signature can go but deluxe cant are the busiest days and usually ones you want to avoid. Did you ad MaxPass to your AP? Unless you plan to only go to the park in the evenings, MaxPass is pretty cool and will likely go up in price in the future. It helped on our trip early this month; made it more relaxing since I wasnt having to run around to get FPs all the time. The maximum of 90 minutes (instead of 2 hours) between pulling FPs made a big difference; we had a lot less time waiting around for FP windows and sometimes had 2 or 3 FPs in queue at the same time.

I'll be there the weekend before thanksgiving.
Old 08-28-17, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Even then, think about when you use the fast pass and figure out what are the rides you would use it for. GOTG, Radiator Springs Racers are the two that usually 'sell out' of fast passes during peak periods. Space Mountain will usually get you a time 4 hours later if you arrive after 12. It's little things like that. I know you'd be going as a couple, but I've often get ahead of people in fast pass lines as a single rider (for those rides that accept single rider).

I got lucky that I renewed before they announced the Max Pass. So I keep my unlimited photopass until next July. I abuse the shit out of that too because digital downloads are free. So when family and friends are in town, and they take pics with the AR stuff or characters or rides shots, I'm always using it (even when I'm not with them, I'll tell them to send me the photo codes and I'll link it to the pass.) And photopass holds them for 1 year before they delete it from your account (it used to be 45 days).

Sucks is that while they JUST changed Space Mountain back to its original concept, it's down along with Haunted Mansion because they're about to convert it for Halloween.
Originally Posted by DaveNinja View Post
I have the Deluxe, it lets you go most of the time. the times when signature can go but deluxe cant are the busiest days and usually ones you want to avoid. Did you ad MaxPass to your AP? Unless you plan to only go to the park in the evenings, MaxPass is pretty cool and will likely go up in price in the future. It helped on our trip early this month; made it more relaxing since I wasnt having to run around to get FPs all the time. The maximum of 90 minutes (instead of 2 hours) between pulling FPs made a big difference; we had a lot less time waiting around for FP windows and sometimes had 2 or 3 FPs in queue at the same time.

I'll be there the weekend before thanksgiving.
I think part of it is not fully knowing all the circumstances we'd end up at Disneyland, especially since this is our first time having an annual pass (for instance, the CHOC walk let us get discounted single day tickets for friends so we're going on Sept 16th, a Saturday). We basically anticipate that we'll end up going on random days for family and friends rather then just the time we'd go ourselves as a couple. We ended up getting the MaxPass addon on each of our passes. I didn't think much about the photopass stuff, but the mention of having all those ride photos automatically saved is kind of nice.

I didn't realize Space Mountain was closed down for the switch over, I never did get to see Hyperspace Mountain But having the annual pass for all the Halloween stuff excites me, and just the kind of thing i'm happy to have it for.
Old 08-28-17, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I didn't realize Space Mountain was closed down for the switch over, I never did get to see Hyperspace Mountain But having the annual pass for all the Halloween stuff excites me, and just the kind of thing i'm happy to have it for.
Just remember it's a separate cost to do those special Halloween nights. So be sure you're going on days that don't end at 6pm, because the Halloween Nights are a separate entrance fee. They're on pre-sale now and some nights are discounted for APs.

Sign up for the club stuff and if you're on Facebook/Twitter follow DisneylandToday and/or Disney Annual Passholders. They throw out some AP events once in a while, but those AP members that are hardcore snap up those tickets faster than re-sellers of Mondo prints.
Old 08-28-17, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Just remember it's a separate cost to do those special Halloween nights. So be sure you're going on days that don't end at 6pm, because the Halloween Nights are a separate entrance fee. They're on pre-sale now and some nights are discounted for APs.

Sign up for the club stuff and if you're on Facebook/Twitter follow DisneylandToday and/or Disney Annual Passholders. They throw out some AP events once in a while, but those AP members that are hardcore snap up those tickets faster than re-sellers of Mondo prints.
I just meant the re-themes for Space Mountain and Haunted Mansion. Are those special Halloween Nights fun? Or mostly for kids to dress up in costumes and stuff?

Good tip on the other things, I'll have to follow those things on Facebook.
Old 08-28-17, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well, it's the one time adults can dress up dress up.. not just Disney bound (tho I believe you can't do full on Disney characters or masked faces for security reasons). I've never gone since it's $75 and I couldn't see the point without kids.

New Years Eve is an additional price. And they charged for ride preview nights, also (GOTG was $99). You say you want to do date nights... Carthay Circle for dining. They have a bar area, too. And there's Trader Sam's by the hotel pool and they accept your AP discount.
Old 08-28-17, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Well, it's the one time adults can dress up dress up.. not just Disney bound (tho I believe you can't do full on Disney characters or masked faces for security reasons). I've never gone since it's $75 and I couldn't see the point without kids.

New Years Eve is an additional price. And they charged for ride preview nights, also (GOTG was $99). You say you want to do date nights... Carthay Circle for dining. They have a bar area, too. And there's Trader Sam's by the hotel pool and they accept your AP discount.
Cool, yeah no interest in that Halloween stuff then I need to eat at some of those nicer restaurants, i've never been. I've been to Trader Sam's a few times though, love that bar
Old 08-29-17, 12:28 AM

As someone who's not an AP, I love going during Mickey's Halloween Party. The last time we went, we did that as one of our 3 days (like, left Phoenix in the morning to get to California for hotel check-in, then at the park by 3), and enjoyed the hell out of it because all the rides were walk on and the special fireworks were amazing.
Old 08-31-17, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

We took advantage of our passes last night, getting to Disneyland around 8 PM and hanging out for an hour before close. Hopped quickly on to the Matterhorn, Star Tours, and Pirates (since Splash Mountain was already closed) before closing while grabbing a churro too. Pretty nice to get in and out like that with minimal lines. Now to do it a dozen or so more times
Old 09-01-17, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If I lived down there, i would be doing that all the time, haha.
Old 09-01-17, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by DaveWadding View Post
As someone who's not an AP, I love going during Mickey's Halloween Party. The last time we went, we did that as one of our 3 days (like, left Phoenix in the morning to get to California for hotel check-in, then at the park by 3), and enjoyed the hell out of it because all the rides were walk on and the special fireworks were amazing.
We are doing 3 days at Disney in October with the kids. Well, 2 days and we decided to do one of the Disney Halloween nights.
Old 09-02-17, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The changing of Paradise Pier to be more Pixar themed is no longer a rumor. It was one of the many announcements made during the recent D23 convention. They also confirmed there will be at least one more Marvel (Avengers) attraction added to DCA. Probably taking over the current Bug's Life area.

No details yet, but the re-theme of California Screamin and all the shops and restaurants in the area is very likely. Hopefully it also mean they will add the Green Army Men parachute drop ride that they have had at DLP. They never did get rid of the old foundation and footers from when they got rid of the Maliboomer.

As for the ticket prices, when you can't get good seats to a show or concert that lasts less than 3 hours for under $100, the Disney ticket prices seem very reasonable if you enjoy what they had to offer. In the last two months we have been to both Disneyland and Disney World to check out the new attractions each has to offer. Pandora in Disney World is awesome and very worth the trip.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.