Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

The Disneyland/California Adventure Thread

Old 05-31-17, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: The Disneyland/California Adventure Thread

Originally Posted by hdnmickey View Post
The worst part of going the week before Thanksgiving is a few attractions could be closed to get a quick refurb in (official or unofficial) before the crowds hit. And if somebody cares about It's A Small World (and now Jungle Cruise?), it closes at tome point around then so they can add the Holiday decorations and re-opens right before Thanksgiving.
Haunted Mansion would have undergone its transformation to The Nightmare Before Christmas decorations already as they gear up for Halloween. Today is the last day of Hyperspace Mountain and then it will revert back to the original Space Mountain. Not sure if they will still transform it to Ghost Galaxy, but it's a part of their Halloween Nights at any rate which start mid-Sept.
Old 05-31-17, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by devilshalo View Post
Easter Sunday was empty by normal standards. When the wait time for (Hyper)Space Mountain remains under 30 minutes at 1:00pm, that's a slow day.
Damn, I should have went during Easter!
Old 05-31-17, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by SmackDaddy View Post
That would be interesting if it does happen. Universal would essentially have to give them permission to do so.
Nobody knows for sure yet, but it appears they may have worked out something that would allow WDW to start using Marvel as long as they don't duplicate anything at UO. What is pretty solid is that the Universe of Energy ride is a goner and that the building and a whole bunch of land behind it is going to be used for something big.

Haunted Mansion would have undergone its transformation to The Nightmare Before Christmas decorations already as they gear up for Halloween. Today is the last day of Hyperspace Mountain and then it will revert back to the original Space Mountain. Not sure if they will still transform it to Ghost Galaxy, but it's a part of their Halloween Nights at any rate which start mid-Sept.
All true. And I would bet on Ghost Galaxy coming back since it's one of the big draws for their Halloween parties. Which is why going in mid Sept can be risky.
Old 05-31-17, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
Damn, I should have went during Easter!
I was surprised. They had another shipment of the rose cups, which had been selling out when they get in stock and have long lines, but this time, I walked up as I was leaving around 2pm and the wait was 10 mins.

BTW, they have been over exaggerating the wait times for GOTGMB. I wouldn't get there at rope drop, but if you showed up around 11:30 or 12, I bet the wait would be about 60 - 90 mins. Took me 2.5 hrs at opening eventhough they said 5 hours.
Old 05-31-17, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I was surprised. They had another shipment of the rose cups, which had been selling out when they get in stock and have long lines, but this time, I walked up as I was leaving around 2pm and the wait was 10 mins.

BTW, they have been over exaggerating the wait times for GOTGMB. I wouldn't get there at rope drop, but if you showed up around 11:30 or 12, I bet the wait would be about 60 - 90 mins. Took me 2.5 hrs at opening eventhough they said 5 hours.
For anyone staying onsite, people at the Disboards have been reporting they are running fastpasses during Extra Magic Hour. Someone was able to go on the ride twice, plus pull a fastpass before the park even opened. On the other hand, if you are not staying onsite, it might be best to go to DL on those days, as there will already be lines forming.
Old 06-01-17, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by tasha99 View Post
For anyone staying onsite, people at the Disboards have been reporting they are running fastpasses during Extra Magic Hour. Someone was able to go on the ride twice, plus pull a fastpass before the park even opened. On the other hand, if you are not staying onsite, it might be best to go to DL on those days, as there will already be lines forming.
That would be nice if it's true. I recall having to decide to go straight to RSR or get in line for a fastpass for RSR (which didn't start dispensing tickets until officail park opening) when we had Early Magic Hours.

I also have read conflicting reports on whether or not the parks are now linked as far as the fastpass system. Since they are so close together we would hop back and forth alternating fastpass tickets between the two parks.

Last edited by SmackDaddy; 06-01-17 at 09:19 AM.
Old 06-01-17, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes, that's awesome that they are distributing FP's during EMH. Huge bonus for those willing to get there early (which is always us).

Any reports yet on how this is taking a load of Radiator Spring Racers and Toy story Mania? I imagine those are finally getting to what I would consider normal (no worse than the rides on the DL side) now that there is a new top draw in town.
Old 06-01-17, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Went with the GF on Monday just to ride Guradians. We waited in the stand-by line for about 2.5 hours even though the the cast members said it would take 5 to 6 hours. A girl in front of me had another friend waiting in the Fastpass line and was nice enough to give our passes to her friend so we could get Fastpasses as well.

Overall, I like the new update to the ride. The whole dynamic of the ride has changed from ToT though. This one is pure fun (like the movie) while ToT there was anxiety and fear when riding. Since there are 6 different versions of the ride, it give me incentive to check out the ride every time I visit the park.

Last edited by outcastja; 06-01-17 at 12:38 PM.
Old 06-01-17, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

What are rose cups?
Old 06-01-17, 03:06 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by SmackDaddy View Post
That would be interesting if it does happen. Universal would essentially have to give them permission to do so.
I thought the contract detail is that Universal only has rights to characters from specific 'universes', like Avengers, Spider-Man, X-Men, and so on. The Guardians team and characters were not part of this when the contract was made, which allowed them to be used in WDW. There was some rumbling, however, that putting them in the next Avengers movie could effect this and potentially cause issues.
Old 06-01-17, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Have no idea if they were correct or not, but people that supposedly know say Universal only had the rights locked up to certain characters. Not even groups like The Avengers as a whole which is why we could even see minor characters from the X-Men and Avengers films show up in attractions and/or as costumed characters doing appearances in the parks.

And no matter what was decided before, I have to believe Disney has been working with them to change it all up regarding these usage rights. There was even a radical idea that Disney has already been told that Universal will free up all of Marvel soon (next five years or so) because they are going to switch to Nintendo. Universal Orlando is definitely going to add Nintendo stuff based on their new agreement with them. Just a matter of where. The most common idea is for it to take over both the Marvel and Toon Lagoon areas. Not sure I believe they would give up Marvel, but there is very little room there and freeing up the Marvel area would make sense given they probably don't like giving Disney money.
Old 06-01-17, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
What are rose cups?
Old 06-04-17, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Lol, those rose cups are simultaneously cheesy and cool. Hope they have them when we get there. We just got our welcome letter for this trip. Two more weeks.
Old 06-19-17, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

We're at Disneyland now, and I can confirm that during the EMH hour at California Adventure, they were running some fastpass machines (I did see some that were chained off, too.) I got a GotG fastpass at about 8:05 and the return time was 8:50. I used it at 9:05 or so, and by then the standby line--just 5 minutes after the park opened--was 90 minutes. I had hoped to grab another fastpass, but the fastpass line was so long, I decided to go back to my room and drink some coffee.
Some pepole have said the ride seems more intense now, but I didn't think the drops seemed faster. Fun, but I preferred the old theme and shorter lines.

Parks were not at all crowded yesterday. Might be that Father's Day is a good day to go in general (heard Easter was fantastic this year).

Anyhow, we'll be here until Thursday. The Grand Californian renovations are not very intrusive--some of the lobby is covered, but you can still enjoy it. There are only half the number of check in stations open, so the lines seemed longer than usual to me. We checked in immediately because we got there in the morning, but our room wasn't ready (never is--check in time is at 4 for the vacation club rooms). But, if you arrive in the late afternoon, expect a little longer process.

Last edited by tasha99; 06-19-17 at 02:04 PM.
Old 06-21-17, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

MaxPass (a $10 a day per ticket upgrade that you can buy that lets you get Fastpasses from your phone) was supposed to start today but got pushed back at the last minute.
Fastpasses are also changing; they'll be attached to your park ticket instead of the little paper the machines give out.
Old 06-21-17, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DaveNinja View Post
MaxPass (a $10 a day per ticket upgrade that you can buy that lets you get Fastpasses from your phone) was supposed to start today but got pushed back at the last minute.
Fastpasses are also changing; they'll be attached to your park ticket instead of the little paper the machines give out.
The little paper fastpasses say "reminder" now. No more handing off unused passes as a random act of kindness. It didn't look like the ticket reader showed your picture or any identifier, so you could still give a fastpass to anyone you would trust with your ticket. (I think. We haven't tried it).
Old 06-21-17, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I guess it's better than the old days of standing in line for 75 minutes for a 4 minute ride, but it seems complicated nowadays.
Old 06-21-17, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, I guess your picture does pop up according to people on the disboards. Bummer.
Old 06-21-17, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
I guess it's better than the old days of standing in line for 75 minutes for a 4 minute ride, but it seems complicated nowadays.
Even when I was a kid, there was the issue of running out of E tickets.
Old 06-22-17, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by tasha99 View Post
Well, I guess your picture does pop up according to people on the disboards. Bummer.
It sounded like only sometimes the pictures pop up; most of the time it was just a green checkmark on the cast member's handheld.

(i'm a regular reader of disboards too!)
Old 06-28-17, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It sounded like only sometimes the pictures pop up; most of the time it was just a green checkmark on the cast member's handheld.

(i'm a regular reader of disboards too!)

Maybe I should have tried using my boyfriends GotG fastpass that he didn't want, but we were getting hungry, so we went back for breakfast.

We're back now. We usually go in September, and at this busier time of year, it seemed like the first few hours and after the parade at night were the best times for crowds.

We mostly ate in our room, but we did go out to a few nice meals. In case anyone is going soon and is looking for somewhere to eat, this was my take on our choices:

Restaurant Reviews:
Spoiler:

Jazz Kitchen
5/5 This was my favorite night out because I enjoyed the music so much. There was a wait, but we bypassed it by sitting at a little table in the bar area. If you go here, get the BBQ shrimp and grits. It was delicious (though super rich with cream and butter). Do NOT get the pasta jambalaya--turns out, that mix doesn't work nearly as well with pasta as rice.

Blue Bayou-- 4/5 Mostly, we go here for the atmosphere, but I thought the food was better than previously. You do need a reservation (make it 60 days ahead of time--and doing it right when reservations opens up matters for large groups if you are picky about time). My kids got the Monte Cristo, which seemed like a greasy, fried donut of a sandwich to me. Gross, but they seemed to like it. Everyone who got steak enjoyed their meal. The gumbo is delicious, too.

Napa Rose
-- 5/5 My boyfriend and I went here the last night for their Chef Counter dinner. We had ideal seats, and if you do it, I highly recommend the seats that are between the entree preparation area and the dessert area, as you can watch both chefs. They designed 2 different menus for us, and we shared each, so with 5 courses, we really got to sample 10 things. Very pricey, but we felt it was worth it for one time. Probably wouldn't do it again, even though we enjoyed it. (We would go to the regular restaurant next time, though)

Bars:
Trader Sam's Tiki Bar--3.5/5 Fun atmosphere with lots of sweet but strong frozen drinks. Affordable appetizers. The flatbread was meh, though.

Cove Bar-- 2/5 We didn't get what the hype was about this place. Very forgettable, and that was not cold water lobster on the lobster nachos. Maybe warm water lobster or more likely, langostino. Whatever it was, it lacked flavor, and the nachos would have been better with something else on them. Also, they didn't salt the glass rims on our first round of margaritas, and on the second, they salted with table salt. Kind of below standards for a bar. On the other hand, it was nice to have a place to sit for a while. Not a repeat for us.

Hearthstone Lounge--2.5/5 (We stayed in the lobby--nothing special, but it was handy when our room wasn't ready. We did look at the bar itself later, and it was really dull--no music etc)) Boyfriend and I had no problems with our drinks at check in. However, my daughter and her friend tried to go there later, and they didn't accept their driver's licenses. Oregon puts a paper address label on the license if you move. They called it "tampering" though that's the official way to change your address here. My kids said fine, and removed the labels, but then the bar wouldn't accept them either, since the label removal was tampering as well! I've had comments about the Oregon label in NYC, but you would think California would recognize the driver's licenses of their neighboring state. Plus, the only thing on the label is an address--the age information is on the plastic part of the license. It was kind of infuriating for them, as they are 24 and 28, but they went to Trader Sam's with no problem instead.

Last edited by tasha99; 06-28-17 at 12:59 PM.
Old 06-28-17, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Could those have been single day use tickets? They don't bother to link a picture to those people.
Old 06-28-17, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk God

Hopefully the lines die down by October when I take the family. I want to ride the GotG ride, but I am not waiting in hour+ lines.
Old 06-28-17, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

They still takin' these?

Old 06-28-17, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
Hopefully the lines die down by October when I take the family. I want to ride the GotG ride, but I am not waiting in hour+ lines.
If you stay at any of the park resorts, at least you have "magic hour".

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.