Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

The Disneyland/California Adventure Thread

Old 08-25-16, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: The Disneyland/California Adventure Thread

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
[unpopular_opinion] Theme-parks, especially Disney ones, are for children, and any adult enjoying themselves there without their own children is suspect and should be put on a watch list. Creepsters, the lot of them![/unpopular_opinion]

Been to Disneyland countless times when I was a kid - been there once since I turned 18 (took my 10-year old niece there about 5 years ago), and I couldn't get out of there fast enough. I honestly don't see how grown ass adults can tolerate that place. But to each their own, I suppose...
Me and my wife are in our mid-30's aren't having kids and go to Disneyland about every 2 years. It's one of our favorite places. We're going to Disneyworld for the first time here in October.
Old 08-26-16, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
[unpopular_opinion] Theme-parks, especially Disney ones, are for children, and any adult enjoying themselves there without their own children is suspect and should be put on a watch list. Creepsters, the lot of them![/unpopular_opinion]

Been to Disneyland countless times when I was a kid - been there once since I turned 18 (took my 10-year old niece there about 5 years ago), and I couldn't get out of there fast enough. I honestly don't see how grown ass adults can tolerate that place. But to each their own, I suppose...
Ah yes, I remember this silly opinion of yours from another thread. I kind of get not being in to theme parks, but jumping to the creeper opinion probably says more about you then the other adults.

I'd also argue Universal Studios with their motion rides are pretty darn cool for adults if you're assuming Disney stuff is just for children.
Old 08-26-16, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by LurkerDan View Post
Ok, just found out that a friend can get me passes to California Adventure, but not the Disneyland side.

I know nothing about the difference, and what it means to a 6 year old. The kiddos don't have specific expectations or knowledge, they just know that they're going to "disneyland" for a day. Can someone give me a quick rundown of what is in "California Adventure" and what we miss by not going to "Disneyland"?
While there's some crossover, California Adventure has become more Pixar focused (areas of the park are themed around Toy Story, Bugs Life, Cars), whereas Disneyland is more Disney proper with the majority of princesses and the more famous rides (Splash Mountain, Space Mountain, Fantasyland rides, It's a Small World, Pirates, Haunted Mansion). For a 6 year old, it probably depends on what they're in to - if they're more the princess type or have seen the more classic Disney movies, I imagine Disneyland would be the more popular one. If they're familiar with any of the Pixar stuff, then CA would still be fun.
Old 08-26-16, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I forgot to ask from my trip, what's up with the churros? There were churros everywhere!
Old 08-26-16, 12:43 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by mh4268 View Post
I forgot to ask from my trip, what's up with the churros? There were churros everywhere!

Not a bad snack for 3.00 (if I remember correctly). Though we found some awesome flavored ones with dip in Downtown
Old 10-13-16, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Back from our trip. Wow, that was a long and whirlwind day! Luckily, my niece joined us and she's been to Disney 10-15 times (she has a friend that works there), and so she knew the ropes. And the friend joined us for the second half of the day, and that helped too. We rode (not in order):

It's a Small World
Matterhorn
Carousel
Mr. Toad's Wild Ride
Teacups
Pirates of the Caribbean
Thunder Mountain (twice)
Star Tours

Wanted to ride Splash Mountain but it was closed. We tried to ride Space Mountain but we screwed up on the fastpasses. So then we tried to ride the Indiana Jones ride but it was the only one that had a 45" height requirement, and my daughter was just a hair over 42". That's how we ended up on Thunder Mt a second time.

Plus we saw a play (Tangled, sort of), the evening parade, and the kids got to meet Princesses. What a day! The kids (my daughter and her friend) LOVED it, and we all had a blast. Love that my 5 year old had no fear; after finishing the Matterhorn (her first real rollercoaster, plus it had the scary Yeti in the dark), her first words were "let's do that again!"

Star Tours was awesome, if I could have walked right back in for a second ride I would have. And the look on their faces when they met the princesses was priceless.
Old 10-13-16, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So you didn't go to the California Adventure side after all. Just as well since DL is much more for for little ones than CA.
Old 10-13-16, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, there was no way I was going to try to do both in one day. And after hearing here and in research that the DL side is where the princess stuff (and "classic" DL stuff) is, I decided that even though I could do the other side free (because of niece's friend), my daughter wouldn't get the Disney experience she was expecting.
Old 10-13-16, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

But my kiddo is full on ready for adventure rides, that's for sure, even if she is too short for many of them.

Last edited by LurkerDan; 09-05-17 at 12:43 PM.
Old 05-30-17, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

So... lines on opening day for the new Guardians of the Galaxy ride were apparently 7 hours
Old 05-30-17, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Unaware reporter rides it. Hilarity (for the viewer) ensues.

Old 05-30-17, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The waits for the Avatar stuff at WDW got insane was well. It got to the point where they wouldn't even more people into the new area. Personally I have no idea who these people are that wait for more than an hour. We rarely will even go an hour. Average is about 15 minutes or less.

Guardians is getting awesome review from what I have seen. Which is great given how many DL fans were down on the idea of losing the existing theme and thought the concept stuff looked terrible. Can't wait for our trip at the end of June.
Old 05-30-17, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

We are going in June, too, hdmickey! (June 18-23). Can't wait to try the new ride, even though I was a huge fan of the Twilight Zone theme.
Old 05-30-17, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I can only imagine the crowds that are going to swarm Disneyland when the Star Wars land opens. Guaranteed to be the world's worst stroller traffic jam ever.
Old 05-30-17, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by tasha99 View Post
We are going in June, too, hdmickey! (June 18-23). Can't wait to try the new ride, even though I was a huge fan of the Twilight Zone theme.
I loved going on the WDW version back when it was new and people didn't talk over the awesome pre-show in the library. The version there has always been superior and I hold out hope that it will be sticking around. It's great when WDW and DLR have rides that are similar, but with different themes (Indy/Dinosaur Test Tack/RS Racers, California Screamin/RNRC). I was hoping they would keep the Soarin' rides different, but nope, both the stil even after the major changes.
Old 05-31-17, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by hdnmickey View Post
I loved going on the WDW version back when it was new and people didn't talk over the awesome pre-show in the library. The version there has always been superior and I hold out hope that it will be sticking around. It's great when WDW and DLR have rides that are similar, but with different themes (Indy/Dinosaur Test Tack/RS Racers, California Screamin/RNRC). I was hoping they would keep the Soarin' rides different, but nope, both the stil even after the major changes.
It's unlikely that the WDW version will change since Universal has rights to use Marvel characters in it's Orlando theme park (which prevents WDW from doing so). I love the WDW version, since it's longer and a little more immersive. For the curious here's somewhat of an explanation of the convoluted Marvel situation in Florida.
Old 05-31-17, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

We're going Disneyland the week before Thanksgiving! (Nov 15th-19th). So for those who go more often or reside in the area....how bad will it get with the crowds?
Old 05-31-17, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well, that week is considered one of the busier times for the parks. Not crazy, but very busy. Are you staying at a Disney resort/hotel? That extra hour in the morning really helps (especially for Radiator Springs area and I'm sure it will help with Mission Breakout as well).

Last edited by SmackDaddy; 05-31-17 at 09:47 AM.
Old 05-31-17, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The week before? Okay, thanks. I was thinking Thanksgiving week would be busy, but not the week before. At any rate, here we come! Last time I went I won a free ticket - during the 20th Anniversary. Um, it's been a while...
Old 05-31-17, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I went to Disneyland for the first time over Easter weekend. I'm not usually big on amusement parks, but I was really surprised how much I loved it.

The weather was beautiful and it was busy, but not over crowded. Parking was a breeze. Staff were extremely knowledgeable, helpful and organized. Wait times averaged around 20 minutes per ride. Compare that to Knott's where we waited for 45-60+ min and the ride was over in like 5 min, if that.

We stayed for the fireworks and Electric Parade which were fantastic. It was expensive, but I would definitely go again.
Old 05-31-17, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by E Unit View Post
We're going Disneyland the week before Thanksgiving! (Nov 15th-19th). So for those who go more often or reside in the area....how bad will it get with the crowds?
I've gone the weekend before thanksgiving a few times before and its not THAT bad. Its crowded but its not as crowded as the weekend after Thanksgiving or the week between xmas and new years. We might end up going that weekend of the 18th in Nov if we upgrade our tickets to APs during our mid-August trip
Old 05-31-17, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TomOpus View Post
Unaware reporter rides it. Hilarity (for the viewer) ensues.

Chick in the back scored some amazing acid
Old 05-31-17, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by SmackDaddy View Post
It's unlikely that the WDW version will change since Universal has rights to use Marvel characters in it's Orlando theme park (which prevents WDW from doing so). I love the WDW version, since it's longer and a little more immersive. For the curious here's somewhat of an explanation of the convoluted Marvel situation in Florida.
If the rumors are true (and I think they are since the building permit requests have been leaked) they are tearing down the Universe of Energy at Epcot and building their own Guardians attraction. Obviously not exactly the same as the re-imagined ToT at DLR, but something.

Originally Posted by SmackDaddy View Post
Well, that week is considered one of the busier times for the parks. Not crazy, but very busy. Are you staying at a Disney resort/hotel? That extra hour in the morning really helps (especially for Radiator Springs area and I'm sure it will help with Mission Breakout as well).
Pretty sure he posted the week before the Holiday weekend. Should be busier than normal, not not like Thanksgiving week itself, which has been the second most crowded week in the parks in years past.

The worst part of going the week before Thanksgiving is a few attractions could be closed to get a quick refurb in (official or unofficial) before the crowds hit. And if somebody cares about It's A Small World (and now Jungle Cruise?), it closes at tome point around then so they can add the Holiday decorations and re-opens right before Thanksgiving.
Old 05-31-17, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by hdnmickey View Post
If the rumors are true (and I think they are since the building permit requests have been leaked) they are tearing down the Universe of Energy at Epcot and building their own Guardians attraction. Obviously not exactly the same as the re-imagined ToT at DLR, but something.

That would be interesting if it does happen. Universal would essentially have to give them permission to do so.
Old 05-31-17, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Nth Power View Post
I went to Disneyland for the first time over Easter weekend.
Easter Sunday was empty by normal standards. When the wait time for (Hyper)Space Mountain remains under 30 minutes at 1:00pm, that's a slow day.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.