Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Kias (recent models): yay or nay?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 07-21-16, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Lounging on the beach in L.A., frappucino in hand...
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, the newest thread I could find about Kias is four years old, so I'm asking again:

Boyfriend/S.O. is looking at Kia Souls for his next car for several reasons (we test-drove several cars, and he liked the head/leg-room on Souls best, he's a tall guy, but it has to fit in our tiny garage so no SUVs, etc), but we can't find enough info online as to whether RECENT models of Kias are crap or not. I gather from the old (2012) thread that pre-2010 Kias are crap, but he's looking at a couple of 2014 and 2015 Souls from a dealership. He just doesn't want a money pit. I've called a couple of mechanics to find out if newer Kias come in a lot, but no info forthcoming.

Help a gal out, any Kia owners, or could you guys steer me to the right reviews/places to ask?
Old 07-21-16, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Kias (recent models): yay or nay?

Not that this is going to help, since I bought my Kia in 2003 and kept it through 2014, but in those eleven years I had ZERO problems with the car. I was worried when I bought it that it wouldn't hold up, but I was completely off-base on that assumption. The only reason that I got rid of it when I did was that it was beginning to look old--the car had lost its shine, the seats had become stained from years of eating on the road, etc. I had a Spectra, but I have several friends with fairly recent-model Souls and they've been happy with their cars.

I was going to replace my Spectra with a Soul, but a local dealer was having year-end clearance prices on Hyundais, and I went with an Elantra. Again, in my two years of owning it, I've had zero trouble with it. (Kias are made by Hyundai, so there IS a point to my anecdote.) I will probably keep buying South Korean-made cars as long as the quality keeps holding up.
Old 07-21-16, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!

Yeah, I know a couple of service writers who both told me, independently, that those SoKo vehicles will run a lifetime if you keep up with scheduled maintenance.
Old 07-21-16, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another South Korean car owner here (Tiburon from 1998-2005, and Sonata V6 from 2005-present), and I don't see that changing any time soon. I have been considering a Soul as my next vehicle for a while, although I admit the steering recall gives me pause.

Then again, we also own a GM vehicle, so I should be used to steering recalls by now.
Old 07-21-16, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

2012 Optima with 120k plus miles on it and only had one thing done to it recently (something about a hose feeding the turbo leaking oil). When this one dies I will be getting another one.

*the paint does suck though.
Old 07-21-16, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a 2012 Kia Sedona with about 50k miles on it. No issues aside from an electrical issue, which was some sort of fuse thing. I am happy with it. I will agree the paint does sort of suck.

My wife has a 2007 Hyundai Veracruz with 80k miles on it. Runs like a champ, no issues.
Old 07-21-16, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Lounging on the beach in L.A., frappucino in hand...

Originally Posted by printerati View Post
Another South Korean car owner here (Tiburon from 1998-2005, and Sonata V6 from 2005-present), and I don't see that changing any time soon. I have been considering a Soul as my next vehicle for a while, although I admit the steering recall gives me pause.

Then again, we also own a GM vehicle, so I should be used to steering recalls by now.
Good to know about the steering recall, although I'm glad the dealers caught it, rather than issues coming up after crashes/deaths.

I've also read about the paint, thanks for that reminder from a couple of you guys.

Keep the feedback coming.
Old 07-22-16, 02:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Toyotas are better.
Old 07-22-16, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
Toyotas are better.
Not anymore
Old 07-22-16, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
Not anymore
Sure they are.
Old 07-22-16, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I had a Sonata a few years ago and there were enough things about it I didn't like that I got rid of it within 18 months at a bit of a loss. It was great in dry weather but forget about driving it in the snow. I had to have two premium speakers replaced, the premium audio had an excruciatingly annoying feature of cutting off the beginning of each song if enough silence came before it, and it generally just felt like a toy. I assume the Kia's are similar but can't say for sure.

I drove Toyota's for 14 years and they were great. I would have gotten another but I didn't like the way any of their models looked this time so I went with an Acura. Yep I'll take a Japanese car of a Korean car any day.
Old 07-22-16, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by bunkaroo View Post
I had a Sonata a few years ago and there were enough things about it I didn't like that I got rid of it within 18 months at a bit of a loss. It was great in dry weather but forget about driving it in the snow. I had to have two premium speakers replaced, the premium audio had an excruciatingly annoying feature of cutting off the beginning of each song if enough silence came before it, and it generally just felt like a toy.
Granted, your snowfalls are a bit larger than ours, but I have never once had an issue with my Sonata in the snow, and it always did noticeably better than the (non-Quattro) A6 we used to have. I'm about to pass 240K on it, and the only major repairs have been the A/C compressor (twice, once under warranty) and the alternator (very recently, around 235K). I will grant you that it is not at all luxurious inside or out, but I'll take reliability over just about anything else, especially after that A6.
Old 07-22-16, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Granted, your snowfalls are a bit larger than ours, but I have never once had an issue with my Sonata in the snow, and it always did noticeably better than the (non-Quattro) A6 we used to have. I'm about to pass 240K on it, and the only major repairs have been the A/C compressor (twice, once under warranty) and the alternator (very recently, around 235K). I will grant you that it is not at all luxurious inside or out, but I'll take reliability over just about anything else, especially after that A6.
The car was just too light I think. I was trying to slowly make a turn out of my subdivision over packed snow at 10mph and it was fish tailing. There could be some dampness on the road and if I didn't very slowly ease into the gas off the line the tires would spin. I guess I should mention I had the turbo so perhaps that had something to do with it - I think the tires and wheels were different than the average Sonata. But I'd be damned before I maintained two sets of wheels for a Hyundai.

Can't speak to the Audi, but for 38K I love my fully loaded RDX. Sound system is incredible, handles like a car and has a lot of balls but still good fuel performance. I should have just spent the 9K more initially when I bought the Sonata for 29K.
Old 07-22-16, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Hyundais are good bang/buck these days. My wife's '08 Elantra has been pretty good to us (driven from ~65k to 125k) even though she does a shitty job of maintaining it.

Kias are still a bit behind Hyundai from what I understand.

(Disclaimer: I work for GM. I own a Nissan Altima right now which has been completely bulletproof).
Old 07-22-16, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!

Toyotas are better.
Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
Not anymore
Sure they are.
I drive a 13-year old Tundra. If the Koreans came out with an equivalent truck (like that Mojave concept from '04) I'd give it a look.
Old 07-22-16, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by bunkaroo View Post
I bought the Sonata for 29K.
That's almost double of what I spent on the '05 V6 brand new.
Old 07-22-16, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That's almost double of what I spent on the '05 V6 brand new.
I didn't realize they were that cheap in 2005. Then again no one I knew had one. Mine was definitely a reasonable price for what it came with and how it compared to what others were paying.
Old 07-22-16, 09:24 PM

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/06/22/kia-j...-27-years.html

I tried the car above last year when I was looking for something new, and it was amazingly good. Shame it isn't sold in the US.
Old 07-22-16, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk God

Sure they are.
Takes less than a minute to research to find out you are wrong
Old 07-22-16, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Kias are awesome.

I have a 2012 Sorento and it's currently at 70K miles and I've had zero problems with it other than the usual maintenance like new brakes, tires and oil changes.
Old 07-25-16, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

JD Power and Assoc. named Kia the 2016 car brand of the year. It is the first time a non-luxury brand has won the award. Basically it's a test to see how many issues arise with a brand new vehicle.

Here is Power's ranking and the number of flaws reported per 100 cars:

Kia 83
Porsche 84
Hyundai 92
Toyota 93
BMW 94
Chevrolet 95
Buick 96 (tie)
Lexus 96 (tie)
Lincoln 96 (tie)
Nissan 101
Ford 102
GMC 103 (tie)
Infiniti 103 (tie)
Volkswagen 104
INDUSTRY AVERAGE 105
Audi 110
Mercedes-Benz 111
Cadillac 112
Jeep 113
Ram 114
Chrysler 115
Mitsubishi 116
Dodge 117
Subaru 118
Honda 119
Acura 122
Scion 123
Jaguar 127 (tie)
Mazda 127 (tie)
Mini 127 (tie)
Land Rover 132
Volvo 152
Fiat 174
Smart 216

Top Three Models Per Segment

City Car: Chevrolet Spark
Small Car: Hyundai Accent, Chevrolet Sonic, Kia Rio
Small Premium Car: Lexus CT, BMW 2 Series, Mercedes-Benz CLA-Class
Compact Car: Toyota Corolla, Kia Forte, Hyundai Elantra
Compact Sporty Car: Buick Cascada (tie), Scion tC (tie), Hyundai Veloster
Compact MPV: Kia Soul
Compact Premium Car: Lincoln MKZ, Lexus ES, BMW 3 Series
Compact Premium Sporty Car: Audi TT, Porsche Boxster, Porsche Cayman

Midsize Car: Toyota Camry, Nissan Altima, Honda Accord
Midsize Sporty Car: Dodge Challenger
Minivan: Chrysler Town & Country, Dodge Grand Caravan
Midsize Premium Car: Lexus GS, Audi A7, Hyundai Genesis
Midsize Premium Sporty Car: Porsche 911
Large Car: Hyundai Azera, Buick LaCrosse, Chevrolet Impala
Small SUV: Kia Sportage, Hyundai Tucson, Buick Encore
Small Premium SUV: Audi Q3, BMW X1
Compact SUV: Chevrolet Equinox (tie), GMC Terrain (tie), Ford Escape

Compact Premium SUV: Porsche Macan, Lincoln MKC, BMW X3
Midsize SUV: Toyota Highlander, Kia Sorento, Nissan Murano
Midsize Premium SUV: BMW X5, BMW X6, Lexus RX
Midsize Pickup: Nissan Frontier, GMC Canyon, Chevrolet Colorado
Large SUV: Chevrolet Tahoe, Toyota Sequoia, Ford Expedition

Large Premium SUV: Lincoln Navigator, Infiniti QX80, Land Rover Range Rover
Large Light Duty Pickup: Chevrolet Silverado LD, GMC Sierra LD

Large Heavy Duty Pickup: Chevrolet Silverado HD, Ford Super Duty, GMC Sierra HD
Old 07-25-16, 04:43 PM
GCS
DVD Talk Special Edition

Have been driving a Sonata since 08 with only one odd engine noise. Hyundai chose to replace the engine which they did so under warranty at N/C. Everything is fine and it is now my daughters first car. Paint is holding up ok except one spot where some a$$ in a parking lot scraped the hell out of it.

Bought a Kia Sportage last year. No complaints other than I wish I had waited for next years model as they added a few things I would like to have had but when you are buying a closeout model at a really good price you don't get to say what if.

Wife drives a Chrysler Pacifica which has been ok but is getting pretty pricey to keep on the road.

Sister has 2 Hyundais and a Toyota as well. Hyundais are doing great the Toyota not so much. Toyota has also been recalled 4 times. Not knocking them but they aren't the bulletproof wonders they used to be.
Old 07-26-16, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by GreenMonkey View Post
(Disclaimer: I work for GM. I own a Nissan Altima right now which has been completely bulletproof).
is there a Nissan thats like a Altima but a hatchback or wagon? i guess it would probably be an SUV.

I got a Altima for a rental car a few months back and thought it was great (way better than the Sentra i got the next time)
Old 07-26-16, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

nissan versa
Old 07-27-16, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Toyotas are better.
I Agree. My 2001 Toyota Echo still runs like a champ!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.