Reload this Page >

Happy Moon Landing Anniversary Day!

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 07-20-16, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yup! 1969! Quite seriously, one of the most amazing feats of mankind!
Old 07-20-16, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: Happy Moon Landing Anniversary Day!

Can't wait to hear from the tinfoil gang.

But, I agree. An amazing feat. I remember watching it on live tv.
Old 07-20-16, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alright!! WE LANDED ON THE MOON!!!!!!
Old 07-20-16, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

I remember. It was a big deal.

My dad got me a cardboard Lunar Lander from a Gulf gas station. But I couldn't assemble it. My dad had to spend all evening putting it together, and he commented the next day about how difficult it was. It hung in my bedroom until we moved.

Now a replica is available on the internet!
http://jleslie48.com/gallery_models_real.html
Old 07-20-16, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Old 07-20-16, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

An incredible chapter in human history. If only we had kept going at that same pace, we might've been closer to putting a person on Mars.
Old 07-20-16, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

An absolutely amazing feat of dedication and resolve, when you consider the primative state of computers / analog electronics 47 years ago.

If we had similar resolve as a *unified* Nation today, imagine what could be done to cure some of our ills.

In a way, the Moon landing provided a feel-good and needed break from Vietnam, and allowed the country to come together for a great cause.

We need something like that today to provide a similar impetus...
Old 07-20-16, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Old 07-20-16, 08:29 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Coincidentally, I'm watching Missle to the Moon right now. Kismet!
Old 07-20-16, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Seriously, the immensity and importance of going to the Moon cannot be overstated. It was the ultimate expression of what people can do when they put their minds together to support something possible. They overcame immense odds, solved countless problems large and small, and did not let tragedy stand in their way. A singular vision that changed the course of human history and forever changed our perspective on our world, our universe, and our place in it.

And, it seems, it was all for naught.

Forty-seven years after Apollo 11, The US has no capacity, public or private, to launch a person into space. Forget the Moon, we have to buy a seat on a Russian rocket to keep the International Space Station staffed. How did we lose our way? What would have happened if we had built the transcontinental railroad, looked at our accomplishment, and said, eh, we really don't need to get to California that badly, and then let the rails rust and the ties rot away to nothing.

Sure, SpaceX and the like are exciting, and they're kicking NASA's ass in a lot of ways. The reusable launch vehicle is a masterpiece of engineering. But SpaceX has to deal with the whims of corporate America. will they have the resolve to continue if they suffer a major catastrophe? Will they even be able to continue as a business after a fatal accident? The rewards are too great to leave to one company that could collapse if Wall Street starts getting a queasy feeling about them.

I just hope this chart from XKCD isn't the end of the story for manned exploration of the solar system.

Old 07-20-16, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We never landed on the Moon.
Old 07-20-16, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
Why not? It's just hanging over our heads a few hundred miles up. It's not like it's outside the firmament or anything.
Old 07-20-16, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Jason View Post
Why not? It's just hanging over our heads a few hundred miles up. It's not like it's outside the firmament or anything.
Sorry my sarcasm radar isn't working right now so I'm not sure what comments are real and what aren't. 200,000 miles+ is the distance.

I'm not a big tin foil hat guy or conspiracy guy, but I still find it a bit hard to believe that in the 60s we had people smart enough to point a ship at a planet 200,000 miles away and be able to land there with nothing but Radio Shack TRS80s and some rocket fuel AND also return. Hell, my nephew-in-law is a nuclear engineer and I have to help him with the coke freestyle machines.

Finally, it's been almost 45 years since we've been back. Why? The Earth has changed a lot since then, global warming, etc. Why haven't we went and studied the Moon's changes?

Last edited by Barth; 07-20-16 at 10:48 PM.
Old 07-20-16, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Barth View Post
Sorry my sarcasm radar isn't working right now so I'm not sure what comments are real and what aren't. 200,000 miles+ is the distance.
Look up "firmament". The sky isn't really a big bowl.

I'm not a big tin foil hat guy or conspiracy guy, but I still find it a bit hard to believe that in the 60s we had people smart enough to point a ship at a planet 200,000 miles away and be able to land there with nothing but Radio Shack TRS80s and some rocket fuel AND also return. Hell, my nephew-in-law is a nuclear engineer and I have to help him with the coke freestyle machines.

Finally, it's been almost 45 years since we've been back. Why? The Earth has changed a lot since then, global warming, etc. Why haven't we went and studied the Moon's changes?
Getting to the moon is expensive, and it's boring once you get there.

The moon race was part of the Cold War. It was a demonstration that we could put an unstoppable nuclear missile base in the sky if we wanted to. NASA had two teams of astronauts -- the public ones who were in charge of peaceful exploration and the secret ones who weren't. The existence of the secret military astronauts wasn't even declassified until a few years ago.

We won the Cold War. We still maintain unstoppable nuclear missiles, but they're mounted on a much cheaper fleet of submarines. We achieved the propaganda victory of having been the first country to put men on the moon. There is no scientific or cultural benefit to going back.

Another difficulty is the current political climate. It's always hard to sell the expenditure of tax dollars on pure science. It's harder when people are feeling the pinch of a slow economy, and it gets even harder when one party campaigns on a distrust of eggheads and science.

Last edited by Nick Danger; 07-20-16 at 11:09 PM.
Old 07-21-16, 01:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'd love to see you say that to Buzz Aldrin's face.
Old 07-21-16, 04:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm not a big tin foil hat guy or conspiracy guy, but I still find it a bit hard to believe that in the 60s we had people smart enough to point a ship at a planet 200,000 miles away and be able to land there with nothing but Radio Shack TRS80s and some rocket fuel AND also return.

Our Nazi scientists were smarter than the Russkies Nazi scientists.
Old 07-20-18, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

49th Anniversary!
Old 07-20-18, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Of course we did. Where do you think cheese comes from?
Old 07-20-18, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sarcasm meter is broke my ass.

Screw those Coke Freestyle machines. We should ship them all to the moon.

Seriously though, we are now a society that has academically stood on the shoulders of geniuses to the point we don’t know how to stand up on our own.
Old 07-20-18, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Almost 50 years ago! And, my how we've regressed in those 50 years. My, oh my.
Old 07-20-18, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mrhan View Post
I'd love to see you say that to Buzz Aldrin's face.
He’s a fictional 18” tall piece of plastic with some cheap electronics and an LED “laser” ... bring it.
Old 07-20-18, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What an amazing moment!

Old 07-20-18, 10:27 PM
Admin-MemeCat

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
Almost 50 years ago! And, my how we've regressed in those 50 years. My, oh my.
Politically anyway.
Old 07-21-18, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

https://ascienceenthusiast.com/49-ye...-moon-landing/

The folks at NASA are sure good at keeping a secret!

Nearly 50 years ago today on July 20th, 1969, humans stepped foot on the surface of the moon for the very first time with the Apollo 11 mission. It was a remarkable achievement that gave the United States victory in the Space Race, and solidified NASA’s role as a leader in space exploration. The Apollo program was an incredible time of space innovation and development. It used innovations spawned from the worst parts of humanity to create some of the most incredible things we’ve ever done. Become the void with our new all-over print spiral shirt from our store! I had the incredible opportunity to get a behind-the-scenes tour of Kennedy Space Center in April when NASA invited me to see the launch of their Transiting Exoplanet Survey Satellite (TESS). It was an amazing experience to see Launchpad 39A, where the Apollo Missions and Space Shuttle took off from, in person. Pad 39A is currently being leased to SpaceX until 2034. What makes my picture of Pad 39A even cooler is the fact that I was literally standing on Launchpad 39B, where the NASA’s new Orion Spacecraft (which will take humans back to the moon – and beyond) will take off from in 2020. The view standing on Launchpad 39B at Kennedy Space Center As part of our tour, they even took us inside one of the four Firing Rooms at Kennedy Space Center (the launch control rooms), though they didn’t let us take pictures of it. It looked very similar to the Range Control Center at Wallops Flight Facility in Virginia, which NASA invited me to visit for the Antares OA-9 mission to resupply the International Space Station. The only difference was Firing Room 1 was slightly bigger, and didn’t have a wall of TV screens. NASA has sent humans back to the moon five times since July of 1969, with the most recent landing occurring on December 11, 1972. The last words humans ever spoke on the moon were spoken by Apollo 17 Commander Gene Cerman: As I take man’s last step from the surface, back home for some time to come (but we believe not too long into the future), I’d like to just say what I believe history will record: That America’s challenge of today has forged man’s destiny of tomorrow. And, as we leave the Moon at Taurus-Littrow, we leave as we came and, God willing, as we shall return: with peace and hope for all mankind. Technically, the real final words were probably “Now, let’s get off. Forget the camera,” just before the lander launched to rejoin astronaut Ronald Evans, who was orbiting the moon in the Apollo capsule. I guess it’s not quite as inspiring or existential as the recording, though. But, as the Skeptical Meme Society points out, there are some “woke” people who know the actual truth. NASA has lied to us for almost 5 decades. Despite having actual pictures of the landing sites, showing rover tracks, astronaut footpaths, and equipment left on the moon, there are still people who deny that NASA actually landed on the moon. Above: the landing site for Apollo 17 as captured by NASA’s Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter Even if you ignore the overwhelming amount of evidence from NASA that supports the fact that they landed humans on the moon six times, many third parties have verified it, and now there is even research into conspiracy theories that supports the fact that we landed on the moon. Research just doesn’t support conspiracy theorists. A study published by PLoS One in March 2016 examined the likelihood of four common conspiracy theories being kept a secret. The study looked at the moon landing conspiracy, the climate change conspiracy, the vaccine conspiracy, and the cancer cure conspiracy. The study looked at the total amount of people involved in each conspiracy, and what their projected ability would be to shut up about it. They found that 411,000 people would be complicit in the moon landing conspiracy, 405,000 in the climate change conspiracy, 22,000 in the vaccination conspiracy, and 714,000 in the cancer cure conspiracy. And I have enough trouble just getting my kids to agree on dinner. The study found that, for everyone that would be involved, the probability of failure to keep the moon landing and climate change conspiracies a secret reached 1 (meaning 100% chance of failure) after only 3.7 years. For the cancer cure and vaccine conspiracies, the cat would get out of the bag after just under 3.2 years. The “3.2 years” figure includes all parties involved- the CDC, WHO, and vaccine manufacturers. So the study also looked into the probability of just the CDC/WHO being able to keep a lid on the conspiracy as well. They found that it would fail after about 35 years. For reference, the first vaccine was created by Edward Jenner in 1796, meaning that the vaccine conspiracy should have crumbled at a minimum of 6 times by now. Spoiler alert: there’s no conspiracy.
Old 07-21-18, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff View Post
Of course we did. Where do you think cheese comes from?
Fromunda

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.