Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

"Sleep No More" -interactive play in NYC, anyone been?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 07-18-16, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm heading to NYC in a couple weeks and a friend strongly recommended we see this interactive theatre production called "Sleep No More". I guess it's based on MacBeth but some of it's elements have drawn comparisons to things like the works of Kubrick and Hitchcock, Disney's Haunted Mansion and first person video games like Bioshock. The audience all wears white masks and cannot speak throughout the performance (about three hours). A huge set of rooms and locations have been built inside three big warehouses, and you choose your adventure by following certain characters and see where they go and what they do. I was just wondering if anyone who's experienced it has any advice, from what's been described to me, it sounds kind of scary, but I like that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_No_More_(2011_play)
Old 07-18-16, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: "Sleep No More" -interactive play in NYC, anyone been?

I've never done it but everyone that I know that has done it has raved about it. It's been on my short list of things to do for awhile, I just haven't gotten around to it.

You should do it while in town.
Old 07-18-16, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Is that still running? I thought it ended a couple years ago

But yeah, everything I've heard from friends makes it sound like Shakespeare by way of Eyes Wide Shut in the form of an old school adventure game (they expect you to explore, the play happens throughout the place.)

Heard it's really interesting, fun, a little orgy-tastic and better if you branch off and look around on your own.
Old 07-18-16, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I've not done it either, but like the others, I've heard from friends that they loved it.
Old 07-18-16, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks guys, this thing does seem to have really good word of mouth. My friend is picking up tickets for us, $120 a pop but it sounds like it's worth it. Apparently you could go a few different times and see a completely different show, depending which characters you follow, or if you just go poking around on your own. I'm trying to find out what would be the best path to take for the first time (while trying to avoid spoilers).
Old 07-18-16, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

No advice to offer, but I remember hearing about this on an episode of Freakonomics (podcast). Sounds really intriguing!
Old 07-18-16, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by cultshock View Post
Thanks guys, this thing does seem to have really good word of mouth. My friend is picking up tickets for us, $120 a pop but it sounds like it's worth it. Apparently you could go a few different times and see a completely different show, depending which characters you follow, or if you just go poking around on your own. I'm trying to find out what would be the best path to take for the first time (while trying to avoid spoilers).
I honestly think $120 is fairly reasonable.

I never used to be a person that splurged on stuff like that, but after my last trip to Vegas where nobody was willing to spend any money, fuck that shit, do interesting things that you'll remember.
Old 07-20-16, 07:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Been twice. Worth the premium dinner ticket. Go in with an open mind, explore what you want to explore and don't feel obliged to follow the crowd.
Old 08-10-16, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So I went to the show last Friday and wow, what an experience! I won't get too much into details, I don't want to ruin anything for people who haven't seen it but it was very unique. Sometimes I followed other audience members, and other times I just took off on my own (it's very creepy when you are by yourself!). If you go, wear comfortable shoes, because there is a lot of walking and stair climbing during the approx. three hours, and sometimes you have to bust ass to follow a character around. Highly recommended, next time I'm in NYC I want to go to this show again, there were probably tons of places and things that I missed seeing, it's probably impossible to see everything in one performance.
Old 08-10-16, 05:22 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Looks interesting, but I wonder how the mask fits for people with glasses?
Old 08-10-16, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DRG View Post
Looks interesting, but I wonder how the mask fits for people with glasses?
Unfortunately not very well. I wear glasses and was fiddling with my mask all night. Too bad, because that took me out of the show a bit!
Old 08-12-16, 12:07 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Unfortunately not very well. I wear glasses and was fiddling with my mask all night. Too bad, because that took me out of the show a bit!
Did you have to wear the mask over the glasses or vice versa?
Old 08-12-16, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes I wore the mask over the glasses. I tried with the glasses over the mask but I couldn't get it to work. The email I received before the show listing their recommendations suggested that people who wear glasses might want to wear contacts instead for the show. Um, what about for those of us who don't have contact lenses?
Old 08-12-16, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yes I wore the mask over the glasses. I tried with the glasses over the mask but I couldn't get it to work. The email I received before the show listing their recommendations suggested that people who wear glasses might want to wear contacts instead for the show. Um, what about for those of us who don't have contact lenses?
Hmm. Thinking of going to this next month, but I wear glasses. Could I just say screw it and carry the mask?
Old 08-12-16, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!

Glasses-friendly Sleep No More mask

Code:
https://twitter.com/puzzletheory/status/594933850221903872
Old 08-12-16, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by tasha99
Hmm. Thinking of going to this next month, but I wear glasses. Could I just say screw it and carry the mask?
I'm assuming you mean just holding it over your face? You could try, but one of the strict rules is that you cannot remove your mask during the performance, and you do need to use your hands sometimes. If one of the "black masks" (theater employees that are scattered throughout the show) saw you just holding the mask, they might motion to you to put it on properly.

Originally Posted by AGuyNamedMike View Post
Glasses-friendly Sleep No More mask

Code:
https://twitter.com/puzzletheory/status/594933850221903872
That's pretty cool. You do get to keep the mask, so if I go again I'll try to rig up my mask with something like that ahead of time.
Old 08-12-16, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've gone five times over the years. It's amazing. Hitchock meets MacBeth in a six story, 100 room art deco hotel/warehouse.

Fortune favors the bold. Don't stay with a group. Explore everything. Follow the performers and stay close if you find one you like. And if they make eye contact, *do not look away*. You may be granted a 1:1 private interaction with a character that nobody else gets to see. I've had a few of them and it's amazing.

Oh, and there's a secret floor only a few people a night get to visit. I won't tell you how, if you really want to know, you can google it.
Old 08-12-16, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dstrauss View Post
Fortune favors the bold. Don't stay with a group. Explore everything. Follow the performers and stay close if you find one you like. And if they make eye contact, *do not look away*. You may be granted a 1:1 private interaction with a character that nobody else gets to see. I've had a few of them and it's amazing.
Yeah, I tried to go off on my own a few times, that made it a much more immersive and personal experience. I didn't get a private one on one interaction, but I did make eye contact with one character (while in a group) and he took my hand and whispered in my ear.

Oh, and there's a secret floor only a few people a night get to visit. I won't tell you how, if you really want to know, you can google it.
Yeah, my friend that I attended the show with got to the secret floor (this was his second time attending and he googled how to have it happen). I'm not going to reveal what he said about it, all I know is if I go again I'm going to try for it!
Old 03-06-17, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I've got tickets for this weekend. I'm really excited, but I'm concerned about something I've read in some reviews. The biggest complaint people seem to have is that you are constantly fighting with other patrons to get a good view of what is going on. Has anyone experienced this and if so do you have any tips for dealing with it? I'm not the pushy type and tend to go where the crowds aren't, but I don't want to short change my experience and limit myself to poking around in a corner while something more exciting is happening elsewhere.
Old 03-06-17, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I didn't have an issue with that. I don't want to go into too many details so I don't spoil anything, but in my experience, the events that attracted a big crowd usually happened in larger rooms where you could move around until you found a good view. Events that took place in smaller, cramped areas only had a half dozen people at most watching when I went (while other audience members were watching other actors/events that were happening simultaneously elsewhere). There are a couple events that happen where they only let a certain number of people into the room, so you gotta be fast for those. Also, if you want any "one on one" performances, the actor tends to grab the person nearest to them, so if you want any of those, you may need to be a bit pushy to get nearest to them.
Old 03-06-17, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Is there a bathroom? And if so, is it tied into the themeing?
Old 03-06-17, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

This looks interesting. I'd love to take my family when we visit NYC in June, but unfortunately it's only booking through 6/4/17. Is that the last day they're doing it or are they likely to extend it longer?
Old 03-07-17, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
Is there a bathroom? And if so, is it tied into the themeing?
You start out in a bar/lounge that is a part of the theme. There are bathrooms there and you can return to the bar at anytime to go to the bathroom, or if you get scared and freaked out.
Old 03-07-17, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My kids went and loved it. It was all they talked about the next day. Careful what you touch, as my daughter ended up staining her hands and shirt with fake blood.
Old 03-07-17, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
This looks interesting. I'd love to take my family when we visit NYC in June, but unfortunately it's only booking through 6/4/17. Is that the last day they're doing it or are they likely to extend it longer?
They've been doing that for years...extending it a few months at a time. I'm sure it will run for many more years, it's sold out most nights.