Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

The Home Owner Thread

Old 11-17-16, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: The Home Owner Thread

Originally Posted by Jon2 View Post
As the owner of just such a house with "traps", I'll second that. I have a number of ceiling lights on the same circuits as outlets.

I know the house was originally built that way ... so even if your house hasn't had remodeling done, it could still have issues.
My house is this way, too. While some of it was due to someone finishing the basement, The main floor has some odd mixing of plugs and lights on various runs that I can only assume was done originally. I can flip a breaker that goes to a specific light in one room, and have plugs or lights in two other rooms go dead, too. Kind of frustrating, and my breaker box documentation is quite long with the descriptions of what shuts off with each breaker.

I also flip the breaker, and then test the wires before starting work.
Old 11-17-16, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

We have a couple light fixtures or chandeliers hanging in our hallway that came with the house when it was built in the 90s. They were brass and glass and looked very dated. Instead of replacing them I spray painted them black and they ended up looking really good. Plus it only cost about $10 to do.

We also had some brass trim pieces on the fireplace that i painted with the same black too.
Old 11-27-16, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Has anyone tried something like this to fix squeaky subfloors? From what I've seen and read, it seems like a good product. Nearly every article I've read about fixing squeaky subfloors referenced it.

Last edited by big e; 11-27-16 at 09:15 AM.
Old 11-27-16, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Last night I tried to help a friend whose furnace stopped working. There was a good troubleshooting guide on the furnace door and I was able to narrow the problem to the 24V transformer. We went to Lowes, but they don't sell transformers.

Her furnace went out on Thanksgiving morning, the first day of a four-day weekend. The places that sell transformers won't open until Monday. By then, she'll have a service tech look at it under warranty.
Old 11-27-16, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
Last night I tried to help a friend whose furnace stopped working. There was a good troubleshooting guide on the furnace door and I was able to narrow the problem to the 24V transformer. We went to Lowes, but they don't sell transformers.

Her furnace went out on Thanksgiving morning, the first day of a four-day weekend. The places that sell transformers won't open until Monday. By then, she'll have a service tech look at it under warranty.
The home stores generally don't sell capacitors for central A/C compressors, either, as I found out one extended holiday weekend. Grainger and the HVAC stores were also closed until the next business day. I lucked out by finding a local guy on Craigslist who had several spares he was unloading.
Old 11-28-16, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by big e View Post
Has anyone tried something like this to fix squeaky subfloors? From what I've seen and read, it seems like a good product. Nearly every article I've read about fixing squeaky subfloors referenced it.
I've heard the same thing, and have had the package sitting in my garage for about 3 years. I always forget I have it, and when I do remember, it's never at an opportune time.
Old 11-28-16, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by big e View Post
I bought it a few years ago. I'd say it helped about 25% of the squeaks I tried to get rid of. Only eliminated a couple, toned down a couple and didn't phase a half dozen or so other spots.
Old 11-30-16, 06:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So I took out my standard outlet and connected the USB outlet and it works!

Only thing is the damn this is so fat, it won't fit back in the outlet box with the wires.
Old 01-05-17, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Had new blinds installed, really happy with how they turned out!

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

What do people recommend for a temperature for a water heater? Ours looks pretty old and beat up, I checked the settings last night and it was right around 125 which I hear is normal....but the water in the kitchen sink never gets really hot for dishwashing I'm finding out. Thanks!
Old 01-05-17, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I set the water heater so the temperature at the first faucet is 120. That's the kitchen sink, so it worked out well.
Old 01-05-17, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I recently installed a few digital Lutron Caseta dimmers and also changed some light bulbs to LED. Yeah nothing extraordinary, but my wife who thinks I'm good for nothing was impressed.
Old 01-06-17, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Quack View Post
So I took out my standard outlet and connected the USB outlet and it works!

Only thing is the damn this is so fat, it won't fit back in the outlet box with the wires.
Glad it worked it out and you survived to tell us!

You could try trimming the wires down so you don't have so much to squeeze back in there.
Old 01-06-17, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Quack View Post
Had new blinds installed, really happy with how they turned out!

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

What do people recommend for a temperature for a water heater? Ours looks pretty old and beat up, I checked the settings last night and it was right around 125 which I hear is normal....but the water in the kitchen sink never gets really hot for dishwashing I'm finding out. Thanks!
First, I am laughing my ass off because you have Christmas decorations up and still have pumpkins on your porch. My wife was giving me hell over the exact same thing. I wouldn't throw the pumpkins out (Halloween is my holiday, Christmas is hers) because they were still good.

Ok, on to the water heater ... Is that the temp you set your dial at or the temp you measured the water at? Do you lose water pressure at the sink if you turn it all the way to hot (assuming it is a single handle/lever)?
Old 01-07-17, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Abob Teff View Post
Glad it worked it out and you survived to tell us!

You could try trimming the wires down so you don't have so much to squeeze back in there.
Actually, the USB outlet didn't end up fitting in the wall there....had to move it to one that wasn't on an outside wall filled with concrete.
Old 01-30-17, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Tomorrow is a big one... I'm extending a circuit to add 2 track lights in my living room ceiling as well as a light in a hallway, a bedroom closet, and an extra outlet. If I never post again you'll all know I died somewhere in my attic.

Also, I had a drain back up last week for the first time since moving in here 6 months ago. It needed to be snaked, which I know how to do, but just didn't have the time because my dad has been sick and I've been helping him out. The plumber pulled one of those mesh laundry bags out of the sewer pipe. Inside were several pantyhose filled with plastic baggies. I can only assume they once contained drugs, but they were now filled with poop water. God only knows what the previous owners were up to.
Old 01-31-17, 10:53 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If you ever have your roof replaced, no amount of research into a company's credibility is ever enough. We got burned by someone who, at first glance, was a reputable roofer. Insurance company paid out the money which was given to the roofer. Time passed with no action, finally started finding out all these little things about this company which added up to a giant We Got Screwed. Filed a complaint with the Ohio Attorney General's office, got the local news and police departments involved, now this guy is wanted and on the lam. I hope they catch the son of a bitch and throw his ass in a deep dark hole where everyone can go fuck him up the ass at their leisure.

Luckily another roofing company was watching the news cast and contacted us with a willingness to replace our roof for what was left of the insurance money.
Old 01-31-17, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by kd5 View Post
If you ever have your roof replaced, no amount of research into a company's credibility is ever enough. We got burned by someone who, at first glance, was a reputable roofer. Insurance company paid out the money which was given to the roofer. Time passed with no action, finally started finding out all these little things about this company which added up to a giant We Got Screwed. Filed a complaint with the Ohio Attorney General's office, got the local news and police departments involved, now this guy is wanted and on the lam. I hope they catch the son of a bitch and throw his ass in a deep dark hole where everyone can go fuck him up the ass at their leisure.

Luckily another roofing company was watching the news cast and contacted us with a willingness to replace our roof for what was left of the insurance money.
your insurance didn't pay him directly? I'd almost insist on that if possible just so they would be on the hook instead of you are, just for this very reason.
Old 01-31-17, 11:15 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

^ Not how it's done here. Numerous people got burned by this guy in exactly the same way. Insurance companies send us the check, we sign it over to the roofer. In the words of our adjuster: "That's just how it's done".
Old 01-31-17, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The other night our shower door just basically exploded and shattered everywhere. I cannot believe how expensive these things are. Even a basic POS door is $400 and that doesn't include installation. We are well over $1k and that was one of the better quotes we got. Unreal.
Old 01-31-17, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by DVD Josh View Post
The other night our shower door just basically exploded and shattered everywhere. I cannot believe how expensive these things are. Even a basic POS door is $400 and that doesn't include installation. We are well over $1k and that was one of the better quotes we got. Unreal.
"They" know that people need to replace shower doors about once every 20 years, so that fact is why they're so expensive. Period. Getting nearly anything installed these days is a minimum of four figures. Sad truth.
Old 01-31-17, 07:00 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You can use a shower rod and curtain for now, until you find a deal on a shower door. Sometimes you can find cheap ones from surplus or return sales at home stores (somebody buying too much or changing their mind, and the store needs to dump the merchandise).
Old 01-31-17, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by kd5 View Post
^ Not how it's done here. Numerous people got burned by this guy in exactly the same way. Insurance companies send us the check, we sign it over to the roofer. In the words of our adjuster: "That's just how it's done".
Yeah, same here. The insurance pays you for the damage, and then you hire a roofer. You can also just keep the cash and not get it repaired, but then the insurance company won't cover any additional damage to the roof.
Old 01-31-17, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You could have fixed the roof yourself for 1/5 the price. Same with the shower door.
Old 01-31-17, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I've been fighting varmints! Well, "varmints" as far a developed suburban area goes.

I got hornets that keep wanting to make a hive in my porch, right above my front door. I smashed one hive, thankfully it was small and they were all asleep, so I stomped them before they woke up to sting me. But they keep coming, trying to make a hive there, and I keep spraying them with a hose.

Right above my front door, I guess I got a bird handing out. Not making a nest, but making a mess, as there's bird crap dribbled all down the side of the wall next to the door. I keep having to clean it. What seems to help keeping the bird away is keeping the front porch light on overnight.

And tonight, sounds like I got crickets in my walls, in the TV room. Annoying as fuck. They're louder than my TV! At a loss what to do... just wait for them to die, I guess.
Old 02-01-17, 03:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Lots of wildlife at my house. Several rabbits that regularly dine on the grass. Some small lizards. An occasional possum or raccoon will wander by.

And then there are the snakes.

It's not unusual to find a garter snake sunning itself on the concrete on the steps to my house, or elsewhere on the property. And they seriously freak people the fuck out when they're over at my place and one slithers across the steps or patio. We don't mind them at all. They're harmless, and they eat mice and bugs, so that's a plus. My girlfriend as even gotten used to them.

Seriously, how cool are these guys?

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.