The Home Owner Thread

Other Talk "Otterville"

The Home Owner Thread

Old 01-02-22, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 778 Likes on 510 Posts
Re: The Home Owner Thread

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
That sounds like a massive invasion of privacy.
My county uses an aerial photography service to see if anyone has made property improvements that should have had a permit, or that should change the property taxes. You don't own the air over your house.
Old 01-02-22, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 674 Likes on 483 Posts

Did you get some tie down straps for it? They can and will get airborne in strong storms and end up in your neighbor's yard. Speaking from experience here.
Yes. Big corkscrew stakes that then strap to base. Just need to install them.
Old 01-02-22, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 579 Likes on 409 Posts

Originally Posted by rw2516 View Post
Even that doesn't get you off the hook for liability. It's an "attractive nuisance". Something kids can't resist. When nobody's home some kids cut the locks off to use the pool and somebody drowns. You're on the hook for it. Just by having the pool in the first place you "enticed" them to break and enter.
6-foot wooden privacy fence and none of the gates have handles or access to the latches from the outside. But yes, I know what you mean. They actually didn't raise my rates, surprisingly.
Old 01-02-22, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
Yes. Big corkscrew stakes that then strap to base. Just need to install them.
Kind of takes the fun out of bouncing on a trampoline when you are staked and tethered to the ground.
Old 01-02-22, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 467 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by rw2516 View Post
It's the law. Insurance companies are just responding to the law. An attractive nuisance is something that kids with time are their hands can't resist. Vacant or abandoned houses, construction sites, dump sites, construction equipment. The Meyers house in Halloween is an example. Playing on the bulldozers. Kids getting trapped in old fridge. Railroad tracks are another one. Kids like to play around railroad tracks. The thing they all have in common is there is an element of danger. Swimming pools present a danger.
Yes, but even so... Do playgrounds, golf courses, and graveyards count?? I know those were "attractive nuissances" when I was a kid-- and all three including our home's unfenced wide open swimming pool, were readily accessible and judiciously used when I was a kid to myself and my friends. And guess what? None of us died, had accidents, or disappeared! (in retrospect, I look back on the dangerous things we DID do like play in and around construction sites, abandoned houses, etc and see the merit as an adult, in calling those "nuissance dangers" for children!
Old 01-02-22, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
Yes, but even so... Do playgrounds, golf courses, and graveyards count?? I know those were "attractive nuissances" when I was a kid-- and all three including our home's unfenced wide open swimming pool, were readily accessible and judiciously used when I was a kid to myself and my friends. And guess what? None of us died, had accidents, or disappeared! (in retrospect, I look back on the dangerous things we DID do like play in and around construction sites, abandoned houses, etc and see the merit as an adult, in calling those "nuissance dangers" for children!
Do you seriously expect us to believe that you didn't die as a child?
The following 2 users liked this post by Nick Danger:
emanon (01-02-22), story (01-02-22)
Old 01-02-22, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
Do you seriously expect us to believe that you didn't die as a child?
Perhaps I did and have been reincarnated? Oh, what a joy!
Old 01-02-22, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 603 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
My county uses an aerial photography service to see if anyone has made property improvements that should have had a permit, or that should change the property taxes. You don't own the air over your house.
No, but if I have to get approval to change something on my land, they should have to get my approval to survey the land.
Old 01-02-22, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 484 Likes on 347 Posts

No, but if I have to get approval to change something on my land, they should have to get my approval to survey the land.
They don't. Anyone can fly a drone over your land as long as they abide by FAA rules.

This is even scarier. Now they're telling people to replace their roof or get dropped.

https://www.wfla.com/8-on-your-side/...ed-a-new-roof/
Old 01-02-22, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 57 Likes on 42 Posts

I broke my elbow on a neighbors trampoline when I was about 9. I have no idea if there were any insurance issues (I donít recall it ever coming up). However, my dad was still in the military at the time so we just received service through the base hospital.

I broke it by going off and hitting the ground. I know they didnít have netting around it, but now I know why you should!
Old 01-03-22, 05:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 103 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
Playgrounds and golf courses are open to the public, and like any other public place, like a store, carry insurance against liability for people being injured on their property. Attractive nuisance laws involve trespassing on private property. Lawmakers determine what will 'lure' kids to trespass.
Old 01-03-22, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by tanman View Post
They don't. Anyone can fly a drone over your land as long as they abide by FAA rules.

This is even scarier. Now they're telling people to replace their roof or get dropped.

This works both way. After a hail storm, the adjuster used his drone to survey the damage instead of climbing onto the roof. He approved the claim.
Old 01-03-22, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by tanman View Post

Very frightfully scary. Do we need more proof that insurance companies are actively trying to scam you, and do everything possible to NOT pay claims? Wow, just wow. And you can bet we're paying for their expensive drones in the form of even higher premiums. Professional drones aren't cheap. Thankfully, I've not yet heard or seen any near my property, but I've "heard" there might be a way to exclude drones from the airspace over your home (ie, geofence your specific longitude and latitude, but not sure how, and it may be specific to only one brand of drone (creating something like a blacklist for that company).

Drones are yet another terrible example of a new technology which infringes on our privacy rights, They're needless and a nuissance,

One very good reason to get a firearm. I'd be a-shooting all those drones flying / lingering over *my* property out of the sky.
Old 01-03-22, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 801 Likes on 537 Posts

Sat down on the couch late Saturday night/Sunday morning...noticed the rug was wet. Oh shit! We have a downstairs Half Bathroom (toilet and sink only) off the living room and sure enough, water was pouring from under the toilet. Got that all cleaned and used the washer to clean the towels, and them soapy washer water started a second flood from the same spot.
Called my Home Warranty and paid my $85 for the service call. After the 2nd flood i had escalated the call.... of course we were afraid to use the water in the home including the toilets.

The fucked up thing was apparently the HW folks didn't have any 24hr Plumbers. I spoke to them all day Sunday and they gave authorization to use an outside Plumber since the folks they assigned me were closed. Called around and everyone was booked for Sunday and couldn't come til Monday. The one guy we got as a recommendation who could come wasnt bonded. So we wouldnt get compensated if we used him. So we just waited til today (Monday) and they came out and snaked the main clean out and cleared roots. Whole thing took less than 20min. 2022 is starting out great....

Last edited by Giantrobo; 01-03-22 at 10:59 PM.
Old 01-09-22, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 122 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Superman07 View Post
I broke it by going off and hitting the ground. I know they didnít have netting around it, but now I know why you should!
Just saw this, same thing happened to me - double jumped off the trampoline.

I live in a townhome, and it looks like someone died in the end unit a few wks ago.(I was leaving when the police/fire were over) Police blotter lists it as a death investigation. There's been a guy coming every few days who must be the cleaning service.
Old 01-09-22, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Old 01-21-22, 05:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 484 Likes on 347 Posts

Wife wants shelves in the kitchen going on a wall. Anyone have any experience with this? It'll likely be two ~6' shelves. I'm thinking of brightening it up a bit and maybe using copper pipes for the brackets. Would this be feasible or is copper too soft of a material to be able to hold up wooden shelves?

Something like this but with much more robust wood. Also thinking about using reclaimed wood to give it some more character.

Old 01-21-22, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 265 Likes on 187 Posts

If you're set on copper, make sure you get the right kind. There are a handful of types (K, L, M) and they come in either straight pieces (which you want for this application) or malleable rolls (which you don't). The letters correspond to tube wall thickness, so for the strongest you'll want K if you can find and afford it, or possibly L which is easy to get at a Home Despot or Lowes. Soldering them together takes practice if you want the joints to look pretty. Good luck!

Also, that design looks weak. Better to support both front and back of shelves. Maybe a ladder-style frame, or connect each of those free ends to the wall. If it's going in the kitchen it might end up holding pots & pans, crockery, or bulk food in jars, who knows what.
The following users liked this post:
tanman (01-21-22)
Old 01-21-22, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

You started by saying that you want to brighten up the area. If you don't keep it polished, bare copper will turn the color of an old penny. There must be a clear coat that will prevent tarnish.

I'd think that eight inch stub of 3/4" rigid copper pipe would be sturdy enough for shelves.

Last edited by Nick Danger; 01-21-22 at 02:00 PM.
The following users liked this post:
tanman (01-21-22)
Old 01-21-22, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 801 Likes on 537 Posts

Anyone have experience with Root Killer type stuff for Main Drains coming from the house to the sewer? I hear "the best" stuff to use is banned in some states.
Old 01-21-22, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 265 Likes on 187 Posts

I like the look of this design, it's sturdy: https://www.urbanprairiedesign.com/w...e-book-shelves
Old 01-21-22, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 648 Likes on 453 Posts

^$2,200?! I'd move the support frames to the outside edges and put another in the middle, especially if it's meant to be laden with law tomes. Also desperately needs cross-bracing in the back, imo.
Old 01-21-22, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

$2,200 for that? What a waste of money.

It doesn’t need cross-bracing in the back. Several pictures show that it has braces that go side to side under the wood shelves.
Old 01-21-22, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It's wenge wood. An online dealer I looked at sells it for $24 a board foot, so that's $900 - $1000 just for the raw wood (figuring on 10% waste). Making random width and lengths of wood into shelves takes time and tools.

The end result looks stupid, but it's made of premium materials.
Old 01-22-22, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

It’s a horrible use of beautiful lumber. If I walked into a law firm and they had that hideous book shelf, I would walk away.

The following 2 users liked this post by WCChiCubsFan:
danwiz (01-23-22), Norm de Plume (01-23-22)

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.